Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,996 members, 7,821,475 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:31 PM

ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu (26415 Views)

Why FG Is Insisting On IPPIS – ASUU / ‘FG Will Demolish Illegal Higher Institutions’ / ASUU Strike: Why I Support Industrial Action – Senator Shehu Sani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Nobody: 10:32am On Aug 16, 2017
Salas4oru:
people's comments makes me laugh a lot on here. Imagine FG spending 3 trillions on universities and forgetting the other education components. I laugh in mandarin. Our primary education is still the main problem and no one is fighting for them to be funded in trillions. Most of our graduates come our half baked because the primary education system which is the foundation failed. This ASSU thing has really become a menace to our country. They know what's wrong with our education system, let them begin to fight for the right course

Bros, I tell you.

No one speaks for the primary schools, which are in an even worse state.

And don't get me started on secondary schools

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by deeone10: 10:35am On Aug 16, 2017
WhiteSoup:
Buhari is a curse to Nigeria.

I does not even knows why we the yoruba was deceive by the gambaris to vote the scam called APC.

We miss Goodluck Jonathan sad
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Nobody: 10:39am On Aug 16, 2017
Titto93:
You dont have money to pay ASUU but you have #30 billion+ to spend on a sicker, and $billions to procure weapons from US.
Which of the animal kingdom does Nigeria belong?
Zoo country (Hyenas, Jackals, Baboons, Monkeys, Pigs, Rhinos)

So you want boko haram to kill us all. How many people in ASUU
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Geezholla: 10:44am On Aug 16, 2017
I wouldn't condemn ASUU for their action but as a forum of intellectual Gurus they should be informed enough to know that the country is battling very hard to survive and that the release of such huge amount of money may cripple the country. Everything is not strike!
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by thundafire: 10:54am On Aug 16, 2017
danduj:
Jonathan made a promise he couldnt fulfill grin
dnt be stupid he paid 200billion yearly and till he left office or u expect him to still pay when he is out,call ur buhari 4rm london
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Nobody: 11:02am On Aug 16, 2017
thundafire:
dnt be stupid he paid 200billion yearly and till he left office or u expect him to still pay when he is out,call ur buhari 4rm london

GEJ paid the first installment in 2014...then oil prices crashed....then GEJ did not pay the next installment in early 2015....and PMB too could not pay due to low oil.

But frankly speaking....if we were to pay....we need to borrow the money again.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by yemiprogress(m): 11:03am On Aug 16, 2017
WhiteSoup:

I does not even knows why we the yoruba was deceive by the gambaris to vote the scam called APC.

Please work on your use of words. Read on CONCORD and you will get rid of deadly grammatical crime.

Meanwhile, Buhari is not cursed. The main problem of this country is your grammar.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Nobody: 11:04am On Aug 16, 2017
Geezholla:
I wouldn't condemn ASUU for their action but as a forum of intellectual Gurus they should be informed enough to know that the country is battling very hard to survive and that the release of such huge amount of money may cripple the country. Everything is not strike!

Which leads us to

1.Fee increases to N300000 and above per session OR

2.Massive tax increases

3.Another round of borrowing from IMF.

Inasmuch as ASUU might be unreasonable....fact is...our unis need funding badly.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by yayankainuwa: 11:05am On Aug 16, 2017
which University did Shehu attend? I think they should quickly withdraw his certificate, he is a deviant alumna.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by yemiprogress(m): 11:08am On Aug 16, 2017
9jakohai:

To be fair, in 2013....the money looked payable...until oil fell in 2014. That's where issues started.

The real thing is that fees have to go up....or we find N3 trillion now. Just for universites

1.You are a childish bigot.Sorry, but it is the truth.

[b]2.ASUU went on strike twice in GEJ's regime(2012, and 2013)...to get the govt to pay up the N3 trillion agreed in 2009 by Yaradua. GEJ's labour minister finally told them the truth during the second strike in 2013....that govt could not afford N3 trillion, and instead offered N1 trillion over 5 years....which they were able to pay N200bn before oil price falls made that impossible.
(Infact, just to show you how bad things were regarding financing....Governor Wike in 2013 when he was Minsiter of Educaiton signed an agreement with polytechinc lecturers to increase their salaries....an agreement all the parties were happy with. Only for the salaries and wages commision to look at the agreement and tell them that it was impossible to pay such salaries. Back in the good days of GEJ....)

3.At the moment, if we want universities to be adequately funded....we need N3 trillion naira at least. GEJ's last budget was N5 trillion in 2015. This govt is spending N8 trillion this year....much of which is borrowed. Would you agree they spend N5trillion just on universities without even spending on other sectors of education like primary, secondary, polys, colleges of education?

4.Fee rises are inevitable. Infact, fees rose under GEJ's regime in the wake of the new 2013 agreement ASUU signed with govt...simply because VC's realized that the extra money was never coming. And fees may have to go up[/b]

5.Seriously, give up your tribal bigotry. I myself have been deceived and tricked by people of all tribes, and have been helped and treated well by people of all tribes. Losing an election in 2015 is not the end of the world.

U make sense.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Bigboss111(m): 11:24am On Aug 16, 2017
MrHistorian:
Garba Shehu has spoken well.

ASUU is a body that is expected to comprise of intellects from every section of the country.It is sad and highly disappointing to see ASUU make demands which they are aware that the present Government is practically financially crippled to meet.

I expected ASUU to have pressured the previous Government of Mr Clueless to find a way of settling the enormous debt.

It's no longer news that CRUDE OIL(main source of income for the country) price have dwindled and buyers are not even forthcoming.
Pls I do not expect you to concur with him. If you can read ASUU's publication on the agreement, the payment supposed to be made on an agreed period of years. We must all understand that investing in education is the bedrock of our development. You cannot ignore the system and think all is well. Some state universities cannot even pay salaries to staff talk less of infrastructures. How do you expect a lecturer to carry out his duties properly when hungry and frustrated.

Anyways, only those who are in the system can feel the pains.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Sirjamo: 11:28am On Aug 16, 2017
Princejydo:
fg shoud pay bit by bit but jonathan is rather a curse to this country
Gbam
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Xano(m): 11:29am On Aug 16, 2017
MrHistorian:

ASUU is a body that is expected to comprise of intellects from every section of the country.It is sad and highly disappointing to see ASUU make demands which they are aware that the present Government is practically financially crippled to meet.

I expected ASUU to have pressured the previous Government of Mr Clueless to find a way of settling the enormous debt.

It's no longer news that CRUDE OIL(main source of income for the country) price have dwindled and buyers are not even forthcoming.

Interesting post.

The present President was inaugurated in 2015. Discussions of ASUU delegates with FG(of this administration) started after confirmation of ministers(more than 6 months after inauguration). 2016 budget, FG did not consider what is owed ASUU in the budget. FG gave excuses. Now in 2017 budget, FG did not also consider them.
If FG was interested, they would have included at least 20-50 billion naira. It would be a gesture, an expression of sincerity, but, no it is propaganda FG appears to do.

If you want to be sincere, be so, don't be BMC.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by bahaushe1: 11:30am On Aug 16, 2017
MrHistorian:

You and Shehu are clueless of the issues. The 856b NGN is not for ASUU members. It is to be released to Universities governing councils for revitalization of Nigerian Universities. It was meant to be released in tranches, 200b NGN every year. Shehu's boss failed to release any boko in 2015, 2016, and 2017. Atleast GEJ released 200b NGN in 2013.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by obailala(m): 11:35am On Aug 16, 2017
Keballl:

You don't need to explicitly mention it. Your undertone gave you away. You can only deceive newbies who don't understand how you operate.

Stop pretending to be objective.
Aha.. instead of respecting himself by being quiet, he has resorted to another baseless rhetoric to justify his lack of focus. You claim I only 'pretend' to be objective, that's fine. But at least I'm far better than a person like yourself who cant even 'act' being objective.

My first comment on this thread and infact, all my comments on this thread were directed at the clown who decided to politicise ASUU matter betwrrn GEJ vs PMB... I made that clear to you severally, but since in your wisdom, you have chosen to insist you made no mistake earlier by castigating me, kindly prove this your wisdom by pointing out where I inferred (even if it's on another thread) that govt shouldnt pay ASUU. I dey wait!
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Xano(m): 11:38am On Aug 16, 2017
bahaushe1:

You and Shehu are clueless of the issues. The 856b NGN is not for ASUU members. It is to be released to Universities governing councils for revitalization of Nigerian Universities. It was meant to be released in tranches, 200b NGN every year. Shehu's boss failed to release any boko in 2015, 2016, and 2017. Atleast GEJ released 200b NGN in 2013.

Thank you. If these people writing these, supporting the FG on this, attended FG university, they should stand by the truth. Some of them are ignorant of the truth.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Liberal85(m): 11:46am On Aug 16, 2017
empressteemah06:
Economy... They are not meeting up
Education.. They can't meet up
Insurgency.. Meeting up with propaganda
What are they now meeting up with
Obviously they're meeting up with disappointing you,which is an achievement to us grin
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by pinkbae(f): 12:23pm On Aug 16, 2017
RIPEnglish:
I am still on school Ma.
Lol i rest my case
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by jahsharon: 12:44pm On Aug 16, 2017
WhiteSoup:

Does Buhari also have a hand in your English structures and lexis? Please this your English is not from a true son of Oduduwa, Oduduwa's children are not this dumb.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by peeddy(m): 12:52pm On Aug 16, 2017
9jakohai:

To be fair, in 2013....the money looked payable...until oil fell in 2014. That's where issues started.

The real thing is that fees have to go up....or we find N3 trillion now. Just for universites

1.You are a childish bigot.Sorry, but it is the truth.

[b]2.ASUU went on strike twice in GEJ's regime(2012, and 2013)...to get the govt to pay up the N3 trillion agreed in 2009 by Yaradua. GEJ's labour minister finally told them the truth during the second strike in 2013....that govt could not afford N3 trillion, and instead offered N1 trillion over 5 years....which they were able to pay N200bn before oil price falls made that impossible.
(Infact, just to show you how bad things were regarding financing....Governor Wike in 2013 when he was Minsiter of Educaiton signed an agreement with polytechinc lecturers to increase their salaries....an agreement all the parties were happy with. Only for the salaries and wages commision to look at the agreement and tell them that it was impossible to pay such salaries. Back in the good days of GEJ....)

3.At the moment, if we want universities to be adequately funded....we need N3 trillion naira at least. GEJ's last budget was N5 trillion in 2015. This govt is spending N8 trillion this year....much of which is borrowed. Would you agree they spend N5trillion just on universities without even spending on other sectors of education like primary, secondary, polys, colleges of education?

4.Fee rises are inevitable. Infact, fees rose under GEJ's regime in the wake of the new 2013 agreement ASUU signed with govt...simply because VC's realized that the extra money was never coming. And fees may have to go up[/b]

5.Seriously, give up your tribal bigotry. I myself have been deceived and tricked by people of all tribes, and have been helped and treated well by people of all tribes. Losing an election in 2015 is not the end of the world.
Besides, with memorandum of understand already in place, going into another set of agreement would be like forcing an elephant through the hole of a needle ( which demands miracle to occur). You know how stubborn both parties are. Thank God I'm free from the shackles of strike and the funny thing is how people kept telling me "it may be the will of God" all this blah blah blah. Which kind will of God would allow useless and clueless people's carelessness to instill pains to the suffering students.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Beedude(m): 1:28pm On Aug 16, 2017
asuustrike2009:

Say you miss Goodluck Jonathan not "we".
Don't mind him. The money that frog eye woman and Stella odua swallowed will pay assu and we av change to collect.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Emmanuel2806: 1:28pm On Aug 16, 2017
dammy13:
​The Presidency has said that the industrial action declared by ASUU on Monday was totally unnecessary.

This was said by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, who also indicated that the amount of money being demanded by the union was unrealizable.

Shehu spoke in an interview on Channels Television’s programme, Sunrise Daily yesterday.

According to him, the leaders of ASUU were aware of the fact that the current administration inherited the agreements based on which the industrial action was declared.

He said ASUU was also aware that the Federal Government had set up a committee on the matter.

Shehu gave an indication that the President Muhammadu Buhari’s government might not be able to meet the huge financial obligation the striking lecturers were demanding since the N850bn debt was more than the total allocation to the Ministry of Education in the 2017 Budget, which he put at N369bn.

Shehu said, “Governments enter into agreements that they can pay for. Ability to pay is a key requirement in going into agreements.

“Since President Buhari assumed office, he has sent words out there in form of a warning to all government institutions that they should not go into negotiations and agreements that they cannot pay for; but get clearance.

“I understand that they are talking about debts owed their members to the tune of N850bn. If I am correct, the entire appropriation for the Ministry of Education for this year is N369bn. So where do they want us to get the money from?

“We have inherited these agreements and we are not running away from them. Government has set up a committee led by (Dr Wale) Babalakin. They are already sitting. Why didn’t they sit down and negotiate?

“This strike is totally unnecessary. The issues can be resolved, especially where we have full understanding of where we are coming from. The governments that signed those agreements did not deem it fit to implement because the capacity was not there.

“If they are ready, they can sit down and discuss with the committee that has capable and qualified people as members.

“They want all the problems to go with a wave of the hand. They want all the answers to all their problems at a go. There is an avenue that the government has opened for them for dialogue and it is not closed yet.”

http://fabinfos.com/ASUU-strike-fg-will-not-meet-lecturers-demands-presidency/

I support the presidency on this.. The FG can not release an amount that is more than what was allocated in the budget, worst case, for arrears, after paying the arrears, what happens to the payment of salaries and university funding for the remaining fiscal year. So ASUU should be rational in their demand.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Nobody: 1:30pm On Aug 16, 2017
WhiteSoup:

You are not a Yoruba..only IPOB talk this way(their first comment (in dis kind of situation) is to Abuse Buhari. Why didn't Goodluck Jonathan implement it since 2009...? U R looking for cheap likes from other pple like you,isn't it ? Mscheww
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by coernes: 1:32pm On Aug 16, 2017
Who supervised the spending of the #200 billion GEJ released to ASSU in 2013? Was the money properly utilised? Do we have proof that vice chancellors of public universities have not enriched themselves from the money? Who monitors the spending of public funds in this country? Why do we have government who only release huge amount of money to its parastatals without checking how it is spent? What is wrong with Nigeria sef? Bunch of people who keep suffering but cannot unite to fight what is wrong. Bunch of peple who fight one another at the expence of their development. until we unite and face our common enemy (greedy politicians, greedily established constitution that shields and favour presidnt, governor, senators, ministers etc and all people in power) we will never make progress

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Pavarottii(m): 1:41pm On Aug 16, 2017
Eneze1:
It is obvious the present Government cannot meet this demand due to present economic situation of the country. ASUU needs to re-think this strike action embarked upon
But d government can meet d needs of national assembly and the executives?
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Keballl: 1:52pm On Aug 16, 2017
obailala:
Aha.. instead of respecting himself by being quiet, he has resorted to another baseless rhetoric to justify his lack of focus. You claim I only 'pretend' to be objective, that's fine. But at least I'm far better than a person like yourself who cant even 'act' being objective.

My first comment on this thread and infact, all my comments on this thread were directed at the clown who decided to politicise ASUU matter betwrrn GEJ vs PMB... I made that clear to you severally, but since in your wisdom, you have chosen to insist you made no mistake earlier by castigating me, kindly prove this your wisdom by pointing out where I inferred (even if it's on another thread) that govt shouldnt pay ASUU. I dey wait!

Look ! you can only deceive the gullible folks !This thread is about the nonchallant speech of the Presidential spokesman talking authoritatively over an issue neither the Acting President nor the Minister of education have expressed.

What did you come here to do ? Offcourse try to snidely justify the unnecessary speech by insisting on why the past who "earned 5 times more couldn't upset the cost"

I have asked you to provide verifiable data to the bold above and you have gone mute on that.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Keballl: 1:55pm On Aug 16, 2017
Emmanuel2806:
I support the presidency on this.. The FG can not release an amount that is more than what was allocated in the budget, worst case, for arrears, after paying the arrears, what happens to the payment of salaries and university funding for the remaining fiscal year. So ASUU should be rational in their demand.

There are other issues on the ASUU list that doesn't bother on money. Why has the FG refused to accent the establishment of the NUPEMCO which is supposed to service the pension of ASUU members. What are they afraid of ?
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Nobody: 2:20pm On Aug 16, 2017
SEE GOBE TO THE AFFECTED SKUL...... evening lecture loading MAN 301
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Tj70(m): 2:48pm On Aug 16, 2017
I believed Garba Shehu is ignorant of the signed FGN/ASUU Agreement.
He is speaking in defence of his principals who failed to fulfill what they promised last year on November, 2016.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by soflygerian(m): 2:49pm On Aug 16, 2017
Am I on Nairaland??!!! why are people on this thread arguing like diplomats today.. Finally We get hope for this we country..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

War In Amassoma, NDU Host Community (Graphic Photos) / Abdulraufu Mustapha Dies After Battling Cancer / Parents Storm Ojodu Grammar school In Search Of Their Children (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.