Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,700 members, 7,809,649 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:30 PM

What Do Think About Suya ? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Do Think About Suya ? (9976 Views)

Why Is Suya Not Readily Available As Breakfast? / Why Suya Isn't Being Sold In The Day Time? / Kilishi, Balangu Or Suya? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do Think About Suya ? by tunji370: 6:26pm On Feb 11, 2007
hello house,
I was just wondering how much people really like suya or barbeque in Nigeria.
do we mind the way suya or other grills are prepared around us?
Pls I love eating suya but am so concerned about the preparation. ;
Any body with suggestions about where to get a very good suya in lagos?
Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by cuteass1(f): 3:46pm On Feb 14, 2007
Well i'm not sure of where to get the best suya in Nigeia. But the topic got me drooling cos i looooove suya. Can't wait to be in Nigeria and have some suya. men we're really missing out ooo sad

1 Like

Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by iice(f): 5:35pm On Feb 14, 2007
Ok i grew up on this thing. Love it! Since am from a lil town, we had three Main suya joints, one was really big because it catered to Hotels as well as walk-in customers. When i went home for vac, gawd i made sure to eat it twice a day. We'd cruise around one evening time, and cruise around and buy so we had some before we went to bed. Bolongo is tight too for us ABJ peeps, dunno about other places thou.
Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by Nobody: 6:44pm On Mar 29, 2007
if i see suya on a sacrifies(ebo) i will pick it, bless it and eat it.

1 Like

Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by spoilt(f): 10:00pm On Mar 29, 2007
mubowa:

if i see suya on a sacrifies(ebo) i will pick it, bless it and eat it.

that bad? shocked
Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by Nobody: 10:53pm On Mar 29, 2007
bad for you girl
Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by spoilt(f): 7:09pm On Apr 01, 2007
suya is God's gift to mankind. i love suya. Gimme suya and you're my best friend. when i try to bbq meat it just never tastes the same. kudos to all the abokis that make it happen.
Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by BigSis(f): 10:21pm On Apr 06, 2007
I am not too found of Naija foods.  However, I love me some suya, catfish pepper soup, stew and fried plantain.

Eating the suya is tricky.  Because the way food is prepared in Naija is not too hygenic.  If you have ever gone to the meat market, you won't care to eat any meat, unless shipped into Naija or you directly saw it killed and prepared. 

What I do is prey hard, then I eat my suya with chopped onions and tomatoes, and drink ginger beer or tonic water.  I like the exploding taste in my mouth.  When I intend to go out an eat suya, I always take my knife, onion, and tomatoe with me. 

I learned to like boiled yam with fried eggs.  I like that sew over the rice, minus the rubber piece a beef.  My teeth aren't strong enough for rubber beef.  I like my meat tender and easy to chew. But Naijas love the rubber beef.  I always give that to my companion.  I don't really like pounded yam.  But I will eat a little to be socialable.  Whenever I eat it, I feel sick.  It is like it gets stuck in my stomach and just sits there.  I have learned if I eat a piece the size of my fist, I am okay.

I find many Naija foods and stews and sauces tend to be slimy.  I hate slimy.  But I love my some suya, catfish pepper soup, and stew and friend banana.

I also love to be in Naija during the mango season.  I gorged myself with those things.

I liked going to the bukkas at night to eat my catfish pepper soup. Of course NEPA is acting up, so we take a flash light and candles so we can see what we eating. Of course, the girl waiting on us always tries to pretend she forgot our change, and we have to get in a very altercation to give us our dang money. See I was going to give her tip. But the heffa is trying to steal from me.

2 Likes

Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by iice(f): 3:47am On Apr 07, 2007
Diease no dey kill black man tongue
Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by spoilt(f): 3:50am On Apr 07, 2007
is bigsis even nigerian? truly ,disease doesnt kill us. grin
Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by akara(m): 9:53am On Apr 10, 2007
grin

@Topic

go to the corner streets of Agege and you ll see them prepare the stuff. No big ceremony to it.

I love it with a bottle of Gulder to wash it down.

grin
Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by akara(m): 10:00am On Apr 10, 2007
grin

Or you can go to Apapa and have it fresh from the grill.

grin
Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by choongtin(f): 4:41pm On Apr 12, 2007
omg omg i can rmber when i was in nigeria and on firday nights we see all them people roasting it gosh, it was yum yum i didnt evern care where they got the meat from if it is healthy or not it was just soo nice
Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by kellorah: 4:47pm On Apr 12, 2007
gosh, i love it!!
d one sold here is so crap, and it's DRYED and 'packted'. it's strong, ur jaws ache when uve had a few. but it's better than nothing
Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by BigSis(f): 11:03pm On Apr 12, 2007
Spoiled,

No I am not a Nigerian.
Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by pinsnpies(m): 7:01pm On Apr 13, 2007
As soon as I land in Lagos in August, ill be telling my dad to go to Ikoyi Club to go get some. I havent had any of that stuff since 1999 and its killing me angry
Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by ikamefa(f): 4:56am On Apr 14, 2007
suya? cry cry cry cry

its been a minute since i ate real Nigerian aboki suya!

i hope i don't eat it in my dreams tonight oh! shocked shocked grin cheesy
Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by iice(f): 4:59am On Apr 14, 2007
kellofish:

gosh, i love it!!
d one sold here is so crap, and it's DRYED and 'packted'. it's strong, your jaws ache when uve had a few. but it's better than nothing

U talking about Kilishi? Coz i love that one too
Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by star01(m): 5:02am On Apr 14, 2007
men am realy realy missin nigerian food except rice which is the common naija food in here, i cant wait to go to naija anytime soon, am fed up eating burger,chinese food ,cheese and all those american food , ewwww
Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by kellorah: 5:25pm On Apr 14, 2007
iice:

U talking about Kilishi? Coz i love that one too

wot's dat??
Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by chiogo(f): 6:58pm On Apr 15, 2007
I miss suya so much.
@kellorah, kilishi is also like suya, just that suya is sweeter.
My aunt came visitin' from naija and brought us some kilishi, it wasn't that good. It's harder than suya.hmmmmm, I miss suya so much, it's so yummy.
Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by iice(f): 2:17am On Apr 16, 2007
kellorah:

wot's that??

Yeah its like suya but dried one with lotsa pepper
Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by omoge(f): 7:25pm On Apr 16, 2007
ummm suya, my suya story. as a very young girl, i do make yaji with my northern friends mainly to eat masa and Akara. and when possible add to the suya we bought.

a classmate was visiting home (northern Nigeria for hols). i gave her some money to buy me some suya yaji. i was soooo happy with the yaji she bought, it almost filled a lynon bag, enough to last me a very long time. i made up my mind to share it out with friends and others longing for it. but before i did, i decided to taste it, the aroma was the usual suya type but on tasting it, guess what? my goodness it was full of invisible fine stones. i think a huge rock was grated with the ginger or pepper o. sadly as yajish as it was, i had to dump it all  sad.

i hope to make some myself  cheesy.
Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by soulpatrol(f): 10:23pm On Apr 18, 2007
y'all trying to make a sista depressed with all this suya talk. lawd, i remember them times when we used to buy suya almost everynight, tearing into the thing like no man's business. my teeth strong pass anything. hey, for peeps that live in ibadan, whatever happned to "Right Choice" suya spot that used to be in Bodija? did they pack up? that used to be my spot man, before I left for yankee.  whoo them good old days! grin
Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by omoge(f): 1:07am On Apr 19, 2007
I thought in Ibadan Sabo (closed to the black market) around mokola has the best Suya. there you see me, my friends and all this malams and buga hausa buying suya.
Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by soulpatrol(f): 1:44am On Apr 19, 2007
@ omoge. do you live in IB? i used to go to Sabo to buy suya once in a while, but i still prefered the one from Right Choice suya and the ones around Bodija area. there was one joint in Sabo also where this woman used to sell hausa rice with assorted meat and salad. ooohhhhweeeeeeee! was so deeeeelish. omo, her food was so good that i didn't even fear for my health o!  grin hausa people can cook for sure. good times!
Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by Zandra1(f): 6:43am On Apr 27, 2007
I dont think anyone likes suya more than I do. I miss it and I love it so much. Yum o. I once had it here in America but its not just the same. Ive asked almost everyone I know in Nigeria even tried blackmailing some of them to send some to me but it didnt work out. Me likes suya soooooo much. *Drooling again as usual whenever I think of suya*
Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by IBBFan(m): 1:50pm On Apr 27, 2007
SUYA!!!! after an annoying game on tuesday night (when AC Milan let Man U win), i went to University Of Suya, Faculty Of Meatology on allen avenue to console myself. other correct suya spots around lagos are in Agboju, Festac Town, Excelsior Hotel in Apapa and some few spots on the Island (esp. the one opposite the club, Ynot). i don't think there's anybody in naija that doesn't like suya.

in case any of you guys in diaspora need suya shipped, contact me on this thread. we'll work it out! wink
Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by samsilo(m): 6:59pm On Apr 28, 2007
SUYA! I can smell it now.That stuff is addictive and I don't know why no barbecue anywhere in the world can taste like Suya .
I was lucky I grew up less than a kilometre from sabon Gari in Calabar so we used to finish our pocket money on suya,plain suya, kulikuli coated suya,kidney,liver,and ram suya. Ate so much of the stuff I got fed up with it. Still miss it though,and had an annoying experience once when 2000 naira worth of suya was impounded from me at Dublin airport in 2003.
Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by Nobody: 2:58am On May 04, 2007
For Enugu,Asata is the suya capital.
Those mallams know what they're doing though I wouldn't dare eat it now.
After finding out they wash themselves with those plastic kettles instead of toilet paper,I will not eat suya made by a mallam.
I don't want to get Typhoid fever.
Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by naija4laif: 8:42am On May 04, 2007
the pictures arent mine, i stole it from a website grin

1 Like

Re: What Do Think About Suya ? by omoge(f): 11:25am On May 04, 2007
babyo, you are right there, they wash after shitting or peeing with that rubber kettle and their hands, and i wonder if they wash their hands with soap and water thereafter this days,

lived in the North and saw it, it's a religion things i mean, cleansing etc

true, i don't know if i will eat their suya again, i'd rather buy the spice (yaji) and do the meat stuffs myself though.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Can I Do With "old" Puff Puff? / My Food Does Not Scent.what Could Be The Cause? / How Good Is Bruhm Freezer Brand

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.