Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,348 members, 7,819,240 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:12 PM

Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? (25437 Views)

Daughter Faked Studying Medicine At Oxford Uni To Con Penniless Mum (Pics) / Writing Jamb At Age 25. / Student Spends 28 Years Studying Medicine At Nigerian University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by MansaMoussa: 7:49am On Aug 21, 2017
Is it worth it? Medicine for Naija no be worth am oh!
Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by ultron12345: 7:49am On Aug 21, 2017
Never too late, the medical profession welcomes all ages.
But is it really your friend, or its you looking for advice.
Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by Prestige16(m): 7:52am On Aug 21, 2017
He should have said he wanted to wear NYSC khaki and by that age he would have been disqualified.
Late ko Early ni
JESUSBOIY:
A friend of mine who is 25 years old wants to go to medical school. He is really worried about his age , he is going to graduate at age 33 or so and he is troubled about employment at that age.

Is it too late?

CC: lagusta

2 Likes

Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by marooh: 7:52am On Aug 21, 2017
Time is just imagination....abeg start any year anytime.....

Just make sure you are determined

1 Like

Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by Nobody: 7:53am On Aug 21, 2017
pray to God for the best grin
Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by successincentiv(m): 7:55am On Aug 21, 2017
It doesn't matter about age
Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by Nobody: 7:58am On Aug 21, 2017
onuhabel1:

Not Too Late But Dont Say U Will Graduate At Age 33 Except U Study In A Private Uni, Or Abroad Cux ASUU Can Make U Graduate At 36

Dem no dey join ASUU strike ooo.
Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by AfizDeMedici(m): 8:03am On Aug 21, 2017
It is better late than never.
Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by shine12: 8:04am On Aug 21, 2017
Not too late o. Someone dear to me is 27 yrs old and has two kids and she just got accepted into medicine. Suppose to start Jan 2018
Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by legendary16(m): 8:05am On Aug 21, 2017
Whether your friend studies medicine or not, believe me he is still going to clock that 33, so I see nothing wrong wit's pursuing his passion at that age!

3 Likes

Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by emmaliver(m): 8:06am On Aug 21, 2017
JESUSBOIY:
A friend of mine who is 25 years old wants to go to medical school. He is really worried about his age , he is going to graduate at age 33 or so and he is troubled about employment at that age.

Is it too late?

it is not late at all. I had classmates who were 35

2 Likes

Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by hasyn04(m): 8:06am On Aug 21, 2017
JESUSBOIY:

Is it too late?

Studying medcine doesn't guarantee succes and employment, knw of unemployed medcine stdnt. Do your best in whatever u studying and get connected.
Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by zordeek: 8:06am On Aug 21, 2017
It is never 2 late to go for what you think is best for you..
Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by hasyn04(m): 8:08am On Aug 21, 2017
#Medical
Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by Nobody: 8:08am On Aug 21, 2017
softMarket:
In Nigeria, its veryyyy late!!
ASUU just went to strike!

he's gonna graduate at the age of 40
I tell u... unless it's private or abroad.. 😂
Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by TheShopKeeper(m): 8:13am On Aug 21, 2017
"What is worth doing at all, is worth doing well and must be done without undivided attention"....it's never too late for your friend to study medicine...
Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by lazborn(m): 8:19am On Aug 21, 2017
It is not too late sha, again it will depend on how good u re otherwise u might end up graduating @ d age of 39years..if u think I'm lying ask dos guys in aau.

1 Like

Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by Mcslize: 8:27am On Aug 21, 2017
JESUSBOIY:

Is it too late?

Medicine career don't take age into consideration. You can even be 50yrs ,it doesn't matter once you have the qualifications, but your friend should be ready to write loads of professional exams.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by Nobody: 8:28am On Aug 21, 2017
DrWise:

Dem no dey join ASUU strike ooo.
U Understand Me So? "except Private Uni N Abroad" Else Public Equals Strike
Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by Nobody: 8:33am On Aug 21, 2017
Jman06:
Your friend is going to train as a medical professional and so, his knowledge and skills would stand him out not really his age.
i've learnt a lot and motivated by this. Thanx a lot.

1 Like

Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by Nobody: 8:35am On Aug 21, 2017
greatestboss:
[s] Don't even bother going to school at all.. Go and learn a trade or something..... Na only God sabi wetin u dey do since all dis year abi u no get parents wey dey expect something.... Your head no gree school.. [/s]undecided
lol u need sense. This isn't a joke
Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by AreaFada2: 8:39am On Aug 21, 2017
JESUSBOIY:

Is it too late?

There are two answers. The short & the long one.
(1) Not too late
(2) It depends on several things. Are you already a graduate? Are your parents ready to sponsor you to do a second first degree? Are you REALLY passionate about it? Do you know what it entails for real? Any experience of healthcare? Are you going to study locally or abroad? Etc.

Because as if you are already a graduate, your mates might become bank managers before you enter medical job properly. grin cheesy
Medicine is great but not glamorous as portrayed. It is very serious hard work. Not everyone is suited for it. It is akin to a job like being a priest. Proper priest, not businessmen we mostly see around these days. Because people do not realise the humanitarian calling that it is, hence many make excellent academics, but poor doctors in terms of empathy.

If studying abroad, like Germany, USA, Canada, UK, you will find that you are actually a baby compared to some fellow students. Many will have a PhD/D.Phil from Oxford or Cambridge in their 30s to 40s. The typical African's question is "why would PhD holders go & study medicine?" It has been asked here on NL on similar topics before. Reasons abound: a relative died of cancer, own experience of illness/accident, finally found the courage to pursue an old dream/passion, etc.

Plus in Canada & US, medicine is a second degree for minimum BSc/BS holders only.

If studying abroad, your academic calendar will be reliable and you can qualify at the right time. But age is always an issue in employment anywhere. The average employer would prefer a 24 years old house officer to 34 or 44 years old one if both have same academic grade.
Competitive training slots like Cardiothoracic, Neurosurgery and many other surgical specialties would prefer a younger candidate too. The training takes years and you hardly want people beginning it with grey hair already. grin cheesy

But you can still have a decent career irrespective of age.

I can only talk from diaspora experience though.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by Nobody: 8:40am On Aug 21, 2017
Agbaletu:
It is not too late. One of my friends went back to study medicine and surgery at the age of 28 after a BSc. in Microbiology.
same here.. After a b.sc in microbiology my elder brother is now in his 200l in mbbs and he's 29

1 Like

Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by JaffyJoe(m): 8:42am On Aug 21, 2017
JESUSBOIY:

Is it too late?

Does he currently hold any degree or this will be his first attempt?
Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by Nobody: 8:43am On Aug 21, 2017
JESUSBOIY:

Is it too late?

nothing is wrong with it, i had many classmates older than your friend when we studied medicine in 100l, but what i will advice is that medicine shouldnt stop him from doing businness, starting a family, if they can do it so can he
Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by Nobody: 8:43am On Aug 21, 2017
Not Too Late Buh Dont Make Younger Boys Insult/mock U By Not Going Close To Their Babes Rather Focux On Ur Book So U Dont Fail Ur MBBS EXAMS
Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by rill: 8:45am On Aug 21, 2017
Old and married men/women full my class. some Don pass 40 sef. it's no biggie

1 Like

Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by Agbaletu: 8:47am On Aug 21, 2017
GrandFinale2017:
same here.. After a b.sc in microbiology my elder brother is now in his 200l in mbbs and he's 29
You see...it is not too late for anybody to acquire skills or return to school.

1 Like

Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by Philinho(m): 8:49am On Aug 21, 2017
harsysky:
It is very very very late if only he thinks and believes it is late, otherwise it is not.
nice.my friend fought for medicine admission until final year .he graduated n starts with medicine .he's now a doctor based in US

3 Likes

Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by salesforce: 8:52am On Aug 21, 2017
No

1 Like

Re: Is It Late To Study Medicine At Age 25? by eclecticlad: 9:05am On Aug 21, 2017
It is never late. I have seen a 50yrs old mama after retiring from nursing secured admission to study medicine and she graduated.
I have also seen a 43yrs old barrister, 40yrs old airforce officer, and many more change career to medicine after serving in their respective fields for years.
Zeal and passion matters

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Landmark University Builds Silos As It Expands Rice Production (photos) / The Dilapidated State Of The National Library Abuja (Photos) / Gunmen Reportedly Attack Secondary School In Niger State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.