Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,858 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:36 AM

Whats Is The Meaning Of Biafra? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Whats Is The Meaning Of Biafra? (1817 Views)

What Is The Meaning Of 'ruga'? / The Meaning Of Buhari's 4+4 Sign Pictures At National Assembly Dug By Nigerians / What Is The Full Meaning Of EFCC? See Hilarious Answers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whats Is The Meaning Of Biafra? by Amoto94(m): 6:26pm On Aug 24, 2017
In light of the renewed agitation for the secession of Igbos from Nigeria and form a new nation called "Biafra", I would like those with understanding to come to my aid and tell me the meaning of the word in Igbo language.
Ngozi123, attackgat, pazienza, afam4eva
Re: Whats Is The Meaning Of Biafra? by Afam4eva(m): 6:29pm On Aug 24, 2017
Amoto94:
In light of the renewed agitation for the secession of Igbos from Nigeria and form a new nation called "Biafra", I would like those with understanding to come to my aid and tell me the meaning of the word in Igbo language.
You seem intelligent enough to answer your own question because arriving at the fact that the word is Igbo is impressive.

3 Likes

Re: Whats Is The Meaning Of Biafra? by Young03(m): 6:30pm On Aug 24, 2017
It means
come let's unite

2 Likes

Re: Whats Is The Meaning Of Biafra? by Sagay212: 8:08pm On Aug 24, 2017
biafra means HATE/BITTERNESS/GULLIBILITY and every other negative things you can imagine

1 Like

Re: Whats Is The Meaning Of Biafra? by Hadone(m): 8:23pm On Aug 24, 2017
Hard drugs dealing in igbo language
Re: Whats Is The Meaning Of Biafra? by vedaxcool(m): 8:31pm On Aug 24, 2017
Biafra it means Come Make We Defraud you tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Whats Is The Meaning Of Biafra? by MalcoImX: 8:33pm On Aug 24, 2017
An Igbo scholar who researched on the name even said they should stop using it.
Please Igbos Do Not Ever Use The Word #Biafra, It Is A Village In Portugal – Ozodiobi Osuji
Please Igbos do not ever use the word Biafra in referring to us. Biafra is a village in Portugal. A Portuguese, during the age of exploration, in the 1400s, gave the Atlantic Ocean area directly below the lower River Niger the name the bight of Biafra. That Portuguese sailor probably came from the village of Biafra and gave the name Bight of Biafra in honor of his village?

There is no need for Igbo people to call themselves by a Portuguese name, Biafra. I feel insulted been referred to by a Portuguese name, Biafra.
http://newsrescue.com/please-igbos-do-not-ever-use-the-word-biafra-it-is-a-village-in-portugal-ozodiobi-osuji/#axzz4qhex7JSa
Re: Whats Is The Meaning Of Biafra? by azimibraun: 9:06pm On Aug 24, 2017
Afam4eva:

You seem intelligent enough to answer your own question because arriving at the fact that the word is Igbo is impressive.
buying time to get the answer if you can right? I see you with my€222 worth view.

1 Like

Re: Whats Is The Meaning Of Biafra? by Yakson09: 9:09pm On Aug 24, 2017
it means developers
Re: Whats Is The Meaning Of Biafra? by Kamanuozuzu: 9:25pm On Aug 24, 2017
Amoto94:

Bịa fárá (come and join).

1 Like

Re: Whats Is The Meaning Of Biafra? by attackgat: 9:28pm On Aug 24, 2017
Amoto94:

Biafra is not an Igbo word because Biafra is not just about Igbos.

When Ojukwu was about to declare the independence of the old Eastern Region, he called for suggestions as to what to call the new country. A certain Ijaw man called Frank Opigo told Ojukwu that 600 years ago, an ancient Kingdom called Biafra existed which covered most of what is now called SE/SS as well the Southern Cameroons. This ancient kingdom stopped at the Bini empire.

So Ojukwu chose the name "Biafra" for its historical value

The map of ancient Biafra is below

2 Likes

Re: Whats Is The Meaning Of Biafra? by Amoto94(m): 8:09am On Aug 27, 2017
attackgat:

Biafra is not an Igbo word because Biafra is not just about Igbos.

When Ojukwu was about to declare the independence of the old Eastern Region, he called for suggestions as to what to call the new country. A certain Ijaw man called Frank Opigo told Ojukwu that 600 years ago, an ancient Kingdom called Biafra existed which covered most of what is now called SE/SS as well the Southern Cameroons. This ancient kingdom stopped at the Bini empire.

So Ojukwu chose the name "Biafra" for its historical value

The map of ancient Biafra is below
Any other evidence to corroborate this?

(1) (Reply)

36 States Of Nigeria And Their Slogans / Nigerian Embassy In Libya Is Selling Tickets That Are Already Be Paid For. / The Moment Police Tear Gassed Governor Peter Fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.