Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 (18462 Views)

China Begins Export Of Second Hand Cars To Nigeria / List Of Countries Who Are Switching From Fossil Fuel Cars To Electric Cars / Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by bgossipnaija(f): 12:57pm On Aug 25, 2017
Nigus Enfinity, an indigenous firm, says it will introduce electric vehicles into the Nigerian automobile market in 2018 and that its local assembly plant for electric vehicles will be ready in 2020.

Malik Ado-Ibrahim, chairman of the company, made this known to journalists in an interactive session which held in Abuja on Thursday.

Ado-Ibrahim said several countries across the world have set targets for the ban of petrol-fuelled vehicles with India targeting 2030, and the United Kingdom, 2040.

He said Nigeria and Africa need to look inward to be at the fore of the automotive revolution or risk becoming waste bin for banned vehicles from other countries.

Ado-Ibrahim, who was the first African to lead the Formula 1 Team global race car competition in 1999, said his firm is already building a 100 megawatts (mw) solar power plant in Katsina and another in Adamawa state.

According to him, the company has also partnered with Build Your Dreams, a Chinese firm, to import electric vehicles at affordable costs from 2018.

“We are also working with BYD to get a local brand and start an electric vehicle assembly plant for Nigeria from 2020. Gradually we will move to an EV with the African DNA starting in Nigeria,” he said.

http://www.naijanewspapers.com.ng/2017/08/electric-cars-to-be-introduced-into.html

[img]https://3.bp..com/-yW68CbLEEnk/WaAQa0bj-tI/AAAAAAAAFJE/kIumAbv9OWM-nmOg6OXfDP39ICesz_-GQCLcBGAs/s640/electric_cars_Energy_13.jpg[/img]

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by mechanices: 1:15pm On Aug 25, 2017
gud development

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Emjay1310(m): 1:19pm On Aug 25, 2017
Welcomed idea but we've not seen light 24 hrs yet, how will the cars be charged then? Cost of light will just shoot up.

40 Likes

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by DaimlerBen(m): 9:23pm On Aug 25, 2017
Emjay1310:
Welcomed idea but we've not seen light 24 hrs yet, how will the cars be charged then? Cost of light will just shoot up.

bgossipnaija:

...Ado-Ibrahim, who was the first African to lead the Formula 1 Team global race car competition in 1999, said his firm is already building a 100 megawatts (mw) solar power plant in Katsina and another in Adamawa state...

4 Likes

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Nobody: 9:43pm On Aug 25, 2017
Shey these people get sense at all where is the number one factor for an electric vehicle. power to charge these vehicles and they have to give nigerians reasons why they should buy such vehicles.
No 2. what is the roll out plans for charging stations?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by mccoy47(m): 8:03am On Aug 26, 2017
Oil gradually phasing out

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Nobody: 8:04am On Aug 26, 2017
We are waiting to buy

1 Like

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by INTERMAN: 8:05am On Aug 26, 2017
What about the charging points and location?. I heard there is only a specified place for the charging just like filling stations.Thos areas uses solar and private power sources.Because electric cars can't be charge at home.It will drain the power and destroy transformers.And there is a special terminal to connect it to a charging point which is not available for private use yet.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by PissedOffWeed(m): 8:05am On Aug 26, 2017
embarassed We nigerians never get enough power to charge ordinary 6000 amh phones to our taste..... Now they are bringing electric cars?

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Johngla(m): 8:05am On Aug 26, 2017
Abeg make them introduce electric buhari

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by vanndubi: 8:05am On Aug 26, 2017
I hope it'll be: buy 1, get 1 generator set free!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by hos4x(m): 8:06am On Aug 26, 2017
I never charge my phone finish
Na car I go wan charge?

6 Likes

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Codes151(m): 8:10am On Aug 26, 2017
Some Nigerians are stupid! The forecaster is a fool!

Electric car?

I think we should get smart and know that the only reason while it's going to be introduced into nigeria is cuz it's for testing purpose, nigeria is a big market and to weaken the power of crude!

And as monkeys that we and our leaders are, they will flood it into nigeria through one greedy Igbo man very soon!

We can't even look towards achieving the important things like steady light or sth na electric car u want to bring? Forgetting the disadvantages as well!

If I wher incharge, I'd ban it in nigeria!

I never seen anything this annoying! We have people who could do better but not given opportunity due to rigorous and completed stsyems yet we vote people there only to see how stupid and useless they think! I spit on this!

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Nobody: 8:10am On Aug 26, 2017
We go drink dat oil last last

9 Likes

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by xynerise: 8:11am On Aug 26, 2017
In a country with unstable power supply?

Sweet dreams grin

3 Likes

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Nobody: 8:11am On Aug 26, 2017
Generator or solar electricity will be use to charge the electric car battery.

3 Likes

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Codes151(m): 8:11am On Aug 26, 2017
You fool, you won't flood our market with electric car in 2018! Rather wait till 2020 when u show us your local Assembly plant! Before

1 Like

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by jnfoage: 8:12am On Aug 26, 2017
Good development, but that doesn't in any way reduces the marketability of fossil fuel because in the final analysis, the electricity for charging them is easily obtained from fuel. Dams for electric power generation are getting obsolete, facilities for converting solar energy to reasonable electricity are still very expensive.

Additionally, tesla cars have some unbearable disadvantages as compared to internal combustion cars like long charging time, low power output, low distance etc.
The only advantage I notice with them are high efficiency (induction motors), absence of carbon emission.

8 Likes

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by 234ng44uk(m): 8:12am On Aug 26, 2017
DaimlerBen:

And you think he can build solar power stations that adequately covers the nation?
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Nobody: 8:13am On Aug 26, 2017
To be honest, Nigeria haven't gotten to that level. We don't even have enough electricity for domestic and commercial uses and then you add electric cars to that?

It's when you pack your electric car for two weeks due to power outage that you'll understand.

Improve power supply first, and then this can be feasible.

3 Likes

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Segadem(m): 8:13am On Aug 26, 2017
can we generator to charge it
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Segadem(m): 8:14am On Aug 26, 2017
netoc65:
To be honest, Nigeria haven't gotten to that level. We don't even have enough electricity for domestic and commercial uses and then you add electric cars to that?

It's when you pack your electric car for two weeks due to power outage that you'll understand.

Improve power supply first, and then this can be feasible.
anyone who can afford it has already known these highlighted problems,
...a friend shared this story with me : he says a lady visits their family 3 or 4 years ago and she saw people charging their power banks and she ask them
- what is this? and they reply her - it was power bank and she asked again, wetin u dhey use am for? The second question dumbfounded everyone in the house not knowing that the lady came from UK, maybe she has never use or see it before .

Trust my nigga in this country they will provide the alternative grin

5 Likes

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by kingrt2(m): 8:14am On Aug 26, 2017
We don't even have steady power to charge phones in this country, its now car. Hahahahahaha joke of a country

1 Like

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Rexnegro(m): 8:14am On Aug 26, 2017
Good development
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by PBundles(m): 8:15am On Aug 26, 2017
Total nonsense. I own a elctric (hyrbrid cars MB E350e) and live in a european counrty that will phase out petrol cars in about 10 years and they are struggling to cope with the infrastructure, not to talk of a country where you dont have stable elctricity. You need it as that is where the main charging will be at home. What do you think, you will drive to charging stations, u, what about the rest ...........so go there and be waiting in line, then whats the point.

We love to do things backwards.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Dollyak(f): 8:16am On Aug 26, 2017
loool.... A battery-reliant electric car can use more power than all your televisions, computers, air conditioning and swimming pool pumps in the home combined. What are the incentives for consumers? becuase considering the electricity prices in Nigeria couple with the load demand, there really is no cost-benefit to using this. The electric car may seem viable in countries who do not suffer frequent power outages or even load-shedding for that matter., but not in Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by proffmanue(m): 8:17am On Aug 26, 2017
what Kva of generator can we use to charge it?
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Aburi001: 8:19am On Aug 26, 2017
Emjay1310:
The Renewable Energy (Solar Power) would play vital roles and dominate the stage.

Meanwhile, the Niger Delta region will become less important

2 Likes

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by teebaxy(m): 8:20am On Aug 26, 2017
Gradually the world is moving beyond the consumption of Crude Oil while Our Igbos are still limiting themselves

1 Like

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Tapout(m): 8:20am On Aug 26, 2017
first of all we don't even have enough power to Charge rechargable torch,

2ndly, bringing electric cars into the system in 2018

3rdly... Setting up its assembly plant in 2020

Lol grin grin

Fact is electric cars won't fit into present day nigeria
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by ayamprecious: 8:20am On Aug 26, 2017
Lues
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by rottennaija(m): 8:21am On Aug 26, 2017
Yes, we don't have light for now. But I believe if we set our bars high, we will have no choice than to work to achieve it.

Codes151:
Some Nigerians are stupid! The forecaster is a fool!

Electric car?

I think we should get smart and know that the only reason while it's going to be introduced into nigeria is cuz it's for testing purpose, nigeria is a big market and to weaken the power of crude!

And as monkeys that we and our leaders are, they will flood it into nigeria through one greedy Igbo man very soon!

We can't even look towards achieving the important things like steady light or sth na electric car u want to bring? Forgetting the disadvantages as well!

If I wher incharge, I'd ban it in nigeria!

I never seen anything this annoying! We have people who could do better but not given opportunity due to rigorous and completed stsyems yet we vote people there only to see how stupid and useless they think! I spit on this!

kingrt2:
We don't even have steady power to charge phones in this country, its now car. Hahahahahaha joke of a country

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving / ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... / RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.