Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,517 members, 7,854,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 12:50 PM

Eye Facts – 50 Amazing Facts About The Human Eye - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Eye Facts – 50 Amazing Facts About The Human Eye (2185 Views)

The Human Skeleton My Students Drew / Amazing Facts About The 7 Continents Of The World / Amazing Facts About The Human Body(with Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eye Facts – 50 Amazing Facts About The Human Eye by Chido052(m): 10:30pm On Aug 25, 2017
Eye facts: Interesting facts about eyes. We do not think much about our eyes until something goes wrong when we realize how impossible it is to survive in this world without sight. Each day scientists are learning amazing facts about our eyes. It is one of the most complex organs after the brain. Learn and share exciting facts about eyes.

Eye facts

The sensory organ of sight, eyes started to develop some 550 million years ago in the evolution process. The first eyes were very rudimentary and were composed of small patches of light sensitive proteins in single cell organisms.

The myth that Carrots helps to improve the eye sight was a myth manufactured by the British to hide their own technology from the Nazis during World War II.

Some lizards can squirt a dark blood like liquid from their eyes as a protective ploy against its enemies
Among different phobias, fear of eyes is known as ommatophobia.

Blue colored tissues exist under all brown colored eyes and there is a Laser procedure which can change the color of the eyes from brown to blue.

Every part of the eye has a function, for example, the eyebrows prevent the sweat from falling into the eyes. The eyelashes keep the dirt out of the eyes. The eyes are composed of very tender and delicate tissues and are therefore placed in the hollowed out socket inside the skull.
The eyeballs remain the same size from birth to death while other sense organs like the nose and ears continue to grow.
Ostrich eyes are bigger than their brain in size.

The Blue eyed boy is used as an adage but Lemurs are also believed to have blue eyes just like humans.
Eyes are richly supplied with blood and nutrients and eye wounds heal quickly as compared to other tissues.
Chameleons and some lizards can move their eyes in two different directions.

Insects have a set of eyes which can number thousands and are known as compound eyes. Bees have five sets of eyes.
The space between your two brows differ with individuals and is known as Nasion.

Only 1/6 of the eye is exposed while the rest rests inside the optical sockets in the skull.

The eye is composed of more than 2 million working parts, weighs a little under an ounce.

The cornea is the only part of the eye which is devoid of any blood.

Eyes cannot be transplanted because more than 1 million nerve fibers connect each eye to the brain.

Tetris, a cascading pattern game has been used successfully used by doctors to treat lazy eyes syndrome.

The eye can discern different shades of basic colors but it differentiates more shades of green than any other color and hence most night vision devices are green.

Sneezing is not possible with the eyes opened.

Albert Einstein has his eyes preserved in a safe box in New York City.

80% of our memory is based upon what we see. The eye is the second most complex organ after the brain.
The skin is the thinnest over the eyes and it can also get sun burnt.

There are more than 39 million blinds around the world and 80% of the vision.

An average human eye can differentiate between 10 million types of colors.

Human and dogs are the only animals who can understand the emotions by looking at the eyes.

Women could be able to discern more colors because of genetic mutation which makes them able to differentiate colors than their male counterparts.

The eyes which discern brain grey color in total darkness.

It is a myth that persons with blue eyes could tolerate alcohol better.

The digital camera equivalent to the human eye will have a 576-megapixel capacity.

All blue eyed people can be traced back to one individual who had blue eyes some 10000 years ago and lived near the Black Sea.

The human eyes develop about two weeks after conception.

Cats are said to have three eyelids.

The eye lashes also have a life span which is about 5 months. The eyelashes shed by an average individual are over 98 feet.

If we add the time spent blinking when our eye lids are closed, it adds up to 10% of our waking hours.

Dolphins often sleep with one of their eyes open.

Many fishes do not have eye lids and therefore do not close their eyes but have a nictitating membrane which protects their eyes. We also have our nictitating membrane but due to constant disuse have become a vestigial organ.

The human fingerprint has 40 unique characters, while the iris has 256. This is one of the reasons why iris scans are increasingly being used for security purposes.

Researchers have revealed that blue eyes are more light-sensitive than dark eyes.

The giant squid has one of the largest eyes in the animal kingdom about the size of a volley ball.

People who were not born blind can see dreams even after their loss of sight.

Red eye in photos are caused when the light bounces off from the back of the eye, the retina which is rich in blood vessels and hence the red color.

A just born baby will cry but no tears are produced. Tears are only produced when the infant is at least six weeks old.

It has been reported that shark cornea which resembles human cornea has been used in human eye surgery.

Camels have extra long eye lashes which can measure up to 10 cm to protect them from the sand particles.

The eyes contain seven million cones which help to differentiate colors while it also contains 100 million rods which help us to see in low light conditions.

Geckos can differentiate colors around 350 times better than a human, even in dim lighting.

When a person has both his eyes of different color it is known as Heterochromia.

Owls are not able to move their eye balls so they have developed the ability to turn their heads by almost 360 degrees.

Read more @DeeNaija:[url] https://deenaija./2017/08/25/eye-facts-50-amazing-facts-about-eyes/[/url]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eye Facts – 50 Amazing Facts About The Human Eye by DrClemzzY(m): 3:43am On Aug 26, 2017
Wow...
Thats nice. What about the mouth?
If this thread makes front page... I dedicate my FTC to my favorite nairalanders... LadyF, Flow1759, Evajael, Ishilove, Purityval, Nitefury, Ahnie, and a host of others too numerous to mention.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eye Facts – 50 Amazing Facts About The Human Eye by josephobaro(m): 6:38am On Aug 26, 2017
A rich piece of information.

1 Like

Re: Eye Facts – 50 Amazing Facts About The Human Eye by Nobody: 7:32am On Aug 26, 2017
Finally a sensible thread with oripipe..lemme buy from the mall am cumin

Re: Eye Facts – 50 Amazing Facts About The Human Eye by healthmister01(m): 8:42am On Aug 26, 2017
You can found more about many eye defects and solutions. How to cure all major eyes defect with natural herbal medicine. We at healthmister.com we offer free eye test and glasses. To get more information visit our website at www.healthmister.com. This website also contain information on how to get and live healthy lifestyle. All herbs solutions to all health problems are available.

Re: Eye Facts – 50 Amazing Facts About The Human Eye by veekid(m): 9:03am On Aug 26, 2017
Thread like this suppose to by now on front-page, Buh iro ni
Re: Eye Facts – 50 Amazing Facts About The Human Eye by BornnAgainChild(f): 9:26am On Aug 26, 2017
What about the ear
Re: Eye Facts – 50 Amazing Facts About The Human Eye by khaykay15(f): 10:42am On Aug 26, 2017
The op said the eyebrows prevent sweat from entering the eyes.. what of ladies that have shaved off their own?..lol
some ladies sha,they shaved and redraw with eye pencil
Re: Eye Facts – 50 Amazing Facts About The Human Eye by kingsley9505(m): 11:15am On Aug 26, 2017
This is about the eyes alone, what then shall we say "we are fearfully and wonderfully made". God's perfect creation.
Re: Eye Facts – 50 Amazing Facts About The Human Eye by Collins1906: 11:55am On Aug 26, 2017
Nice piece of info
Re: Eye Facts – 50 Amazing Facts About The Human Eye by ahnie: 12:27pm On Aug 26, 2017
DrClemzzY:
Wow...
If this thread makes front page... I dedicate my FTC to my favorite nairalanders... LadyF, Flow1759, Evajael, Ishilove, Purityval, Nitefury, Ahnie, and a host of others too numerous to mention.

Awwwww thanks sire!Glad to be amongst your fav nlders.

1 Like

Re: Eye Facts – 50 Amazing Facts About The Human Eye by DrClemzzY(m): 12:51pm On Aug 26, 2017
ahnie:

Awwwww thanks sire!Glad to be amongst your fav nlders.
. . Momma, how is Zino nd Chisom?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Eye Facts – 50 Amazing Facts About The Human Eye by ahnie: 12:59pm On Aug 26, 2017
DrClemzzY:

Momma, how is Zino nd Chisom?
They 're a success.
Re: Eye Facts – 50 Amazing Facts About The Human Eye by purityval(m): 1:54pm On Aug 26, 2017
DrClemzzY:
Wow...

Respect boss.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eye Facts – 50 Amazing Facts About The Human Eye by Nobody: 1:55pm On Aug 26, 2017
Re: Eye Facts – 50 Amazing Facts About The Human Eye by MrHighSea: 2:46pm On Aug 26, 2017
DrClemzzY:
Wow...
Favourite NLder na #Explorer.
Re: Eye Facts – 50 Amazing Facts About The Human Eye by Aminu212: 4:27pm On Aug 26, 2017
nice
Re: Eye Facts – 50 Amazing Facts About The Human Eye by jericco1(m): 6:55pm On Aug 26, 2017
Not bad
Re: Eye Facts – 50 Amazing Facts About The Human Eye by Chido052(m): 4:44pm On Aug 27, 2017
BornnAgainChild:
What about the ear
I'm still trying to compile it.
Re: Eye Facts – 50 Amazing Facts About The Human Eye by BornnAgainChild(f): 8:16pm On Aug 27, 2017
Chido052:

I'm still trying to compile it.

Ok...compile fast
Re: Eye Facts – 50 Amazing Facts About The Human Eye by Chido052(m): 10:04pm On Aug 29, 2017
BornnAgainChild:

Ok...compile fast
Before that, Did you know that the DNA information in a single
sperm contains 37.5 MB worth of data? Which
means that an average ejaculation almost
instantly transfers roughly 1.5 1,500 terabytes of data. Suddenly USB 3.0 doesn't look that
impressive when compared to what Mother
Nature's been using for years.

(1) (Reply)

Are You An Extudent Of Vetland Senior Grammar Schol / Fed Poly Ado Post Utme Exam Postponed / Mapoly Screening Result For First Is Out.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.