Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,750 members, 7,809,867 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:21 PM

Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return (19474 Views)

Meet Safinatu Buhari, Muhammadu Buhari's First Wife (Photos) / Buhari’s First Day Back On Duty, A Loud Disappointment, Aso Rock Sources - SR / "President Buhari's First Photo In 68 Days Since He Left For UK" - Shehu Ashaka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by Islie: 7:38am On Aug 26, 2017
By Isiaka Wakili

After returning on Saturday from his 103-day medical vacation in the United Kingdom, President Muhammadu Buhari resumed official duties Monday morning. He took off with a nationwide broadcast which was devoted mainly to harping on national unity which, according to Buhari, is settled and not negotiable. 

“We shall not allow irresponsible elements to start trouble and when things get bad they run away and saddle others with the responsibility of bringing back order, if necessary with their blood. Every Nigerian has the right to live and pursue his business anywhere in Nigeria without let or hindrance. I believe the very vast majority of Nigerians share this view. This is not to deny that there are legitimate concerns. Every group has a grievance. But the beauty and attraction of a federation is that it allows different groups to air their grievances and work out a mode of co-existence.

“Terrorists and criminals must be fought and destroyed relentlessly so that the majority of us can live in peace and safety. Therefore we are going to reinforce and reinvigorate the fight not only against; elements of Boko Haram which are attempting a new series of attacks on soft targets; kidnappings, farmers versus herdsmen clashes; in addition to ethnic violence fuelled by political mischief makers. We shall tackle them all.”

Buhari’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mr Femi Adesina, described the broadcast as “just one step of many steps that are going to be taken in the days and weeks and months ahead. So, you can’t expect that everything will be said in one day.”

Later in the day, Buhari, in compliance with Section 145 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended) signed a letter addressed to the president of the Senate, Abubakar Bukola Saraki and the speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara, with a view to intimating the National Assembly that he had resumed his functions as the president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria with effect from Monday. The brief ceremony was exclusively witnessed by some close aides as well as official cameramen and photographers of the president. 

The president’s itinerary, which was sighted by our correspondent, showed that Buhari really planned big for the week. A twist was, nonetheless, introduced into his resumption as he was meant to operate from his official residence at the Aso Rock Presidential Villa in Abuja pending the renovation of his office. 

President Buhari rounded off his activities on Monday with a briefing he received from his deputy, Professor Yemi Osinbajo. The president had earlier received the governor of Nasarawa State, Umar Tanko Almakura. 

The president’s sole programme for Tuesday was a meeting he held at his residence with members of the National Security Council (NSC) which lasted three hours in response to rising security issues in the country. While he was away in the UK, there were ethnic clashes, kidnappings, heightened campaign for a sovereign state of Biafra by IPOB and the October 1 deadline by a group of Arewa youths asking all Igbos to vacate the North.  

Buhari handed down orders to the security chiefs, asking them to preserve Nigeria’s unity and end all threats to national security. In attendance were the Minister of Defence, Mansur Dan-Ali; the National Security Adviser, Babagana Monguno; the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai; the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Abubakar Sadique; the Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris; the Director-General of the Department of State Security (DSS), Malam Lawal Daura, and a representative of the Chief of Naval Staff.

There was a surprise on Wednesday. President Buhari was scheduled to chair the weekly Federal Executive Council meeting, but the meeting did not hold. Vice President Yemi Osinbajo had consistently presided over the meetings for over three months during Buhari’s medical sojourn in London. There was no explanation from the Presidency on why the council meeting was put off. State House caterers had brought the cabinet members’ meals to the Council Chambers of the Villa before realising that the FEC meeting would not take place. Presidential spokesman, Adesina, merely said in a terse statement that “The meeting of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) will not hold today (Wednesday).”

The president later on Wednesday received the report of the presidential panel that investigated the allegations against the suspended Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Babachir Lawal and the Director-General of the National Intelligence Agency, Ayo Oke. He received the report at his official residence from Vice President Yemi Osinbajo who headed the panel comprising the National Security Adviser, Babagana Monguno (rtd) and the Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, as members.

President Buhari had on April 19 suspended Babachir and Oke and set up the three-man committee to investigate alleged infractions against both officials within a period of two weeks. Babachir was investigated for allegedly awarding millions of naira contracts to a company in which he had interest, Global Vision Limited, under the Presidential Initiative on the North East (PINE).

A Senate Committee on Humanitarian Crisis in the North-East, which had earlier found the suspended SGF culpable of alleged complicity in a N200 million grass-cutting contract to clear “invasive plant species” in Yobe State, had demanded his resignation and prosecution. 

Oke was probed for alleged $43.4 million operations cash found by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission at apartment 7B in Osborne Towers, Ikoyi, Lagos. He had reportedly claimed that the money belonged to the NIA and was approved by former President Goodluck Jonathan for some covert operations. The panel was mandated to uncover the circumstances by which the NIA came into possession of the funds and find out how and by whose or which authority the funds were made available to the NIA as well as to establish whether or not there was a breach of the law or security procedure in obtaining custody and use of the funds.

The most senior permanent secretary in the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Dr Habibat Lawal and Oke’s senior deputy, Ambassador Arab Yadam, are currently acting as SGF and Director-General of the NIA respectively. 

On Thursday, President Muhammadu Buhari signed nine international agreements aimed at strengthening his administration’s anti-corruption war as well as stabilising the economy and improving the security situation in the country. The signing ceremony for the execution of the Instruments of Ratification for International Agreements between the Federal Republic of Nigeria and other Entities was held at a conference room in the First Lady’s wing of the Presidential Villa.

The agreements signed with the United Arab Emirates were: Agreement on Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters, Agreement on Mutual Legal Assistance in Civil and Commercial Matters, Agreement on the Transfer of Sentenced Persons and an Extradition Treaty.

Other agreements included Charter for the Lake Chad Basin between Nigeria, Cameroun, Central African Republic, Libya, Niger and the Republic of Chad; African Tax Administration Forum Agreement on Mutual Assistance in Tax Matters, the World Intellectual Property Organization Treaty on Audio-Visual Performances and the Marrakesh Treaty to facilitate access to published works for persons, who are blind, visually-impaired or otherwise.

The president directed all agencies of government with roles to play under the ratified treaties to play their anticipated roles in an effective and responsible manner in order to ensure that the country reaps the full benefits of the agreements. “It is my hope that these Instruments will reinvigorate the anti-corruption war and check the illicit flow of funds out of our country to other jurisdictions, improve national security, food security, boost our economic and tax regimes and improve the overall well-being of our creative community,’’ he said.

Buhari described the signing of the agreements as an important milestone in demonstrating the sovereign capacity of Nigeria to fulfill international obligations and take important steps for the benefit of the economy, security and the anti-corruption war.

Then on Friday, Buhari met with leaders of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) and the opposition People’s Democratic Party (PDP) for about one hour at the new Banquet Hall of the Aso Rock Presidential Villa. He said the visit signified the unity of Nigeria as “It is not a party occasion. It is not a political gathering. It is a symbol of our national unity. It is also an expression of the maturity of our democracy. Multi-party democracy is a very tried and tested form of government. Opposition does not mean hostility, enmity or antagonism. Democracy needs opposition, one which is vibrant but responsible.”

President Muhammadu Buhari later joined other Muslim faithful in observing Juma’at at the State House mosque. Cameramen and photographers were, however, barred from covering the prayer session which the Presidency described as private. The president also on Friday met with state governors inside the Council Chambers of the Aso Rock Presidential Villa in Abuja and told them that the show of love by Nigerians had boosted his morale.

As shown by his first five working days, President Buhari is settling back into work.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/buhari-s-first-5-days-after-return/211612.html

lalasticlala

5 Likes

Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by Ogurube: 7:40am On Aug 26, 2017
And the countdown begins after 103 days wasted hugging power while unwell and 5 afraid of Aso rats while "well". Make we hear word, joor!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by Histrings08(m): 7:44am On Aug 26, 2017
Issoiit
Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by shamack: 7:44am On Aug 26, 2017
God help our nation

1 Like

Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by sathel(m): 7:46am On Aug 26, 2017
Is hard for us o
Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by vedaxcool(m): 7:54am On Aug 26, 2017
[s]
Ogurube:
And the countdown begins after 103 days wasted hugging power while unwell and 5 afraid of Aso rats while "well". Make we hear word, joor!
[/s]

No wailer no cry

Nooo wailer no cry

I used to remember when wailers used eat crumbs from government funds looted

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by Evablizin(f): 8:17am On Aug 26, 2017
vedaxcool:
[s][/s]

No wailer no cry

Nooo wailer no cry

sorry no vex oo did his post pain you?,i mean are you having painment?

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by lakewealth(m): 8:33am On Aug 26, 2017
undecided undecided
Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by vedaxcool(m): 9:27am On Aug 26, 2017
[s]
Evablizin:
sorry no vex oo did his post pain you?,i mean are you having painment?
[/s]

Laughing in spiritual powers.... masions are talking face me I face you dey chook mouth grin grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by Evablizin(f): 9:36am On Aug 26, 2017
vedaxcool:
[s][/s]

Laughing in spiritual powers.... masions are talking face me I face you dey chook mouth grin grin
lols nah ask i ask because i get free pain relief tablet

17 Likes

Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by vedaxcool(m): 9:48am On Aug 26, 2017
[s]
Evablizin:
lols nah ask i ask because i get free pain relief tablet
[/s]

vedaxcool:
[s][/s]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by Nobody: 6:03pm On Aug 26, 2017
A sad observation about Nairaland political threads.

They have become places where wailers and zombies engage in saying over and over again 'My Mercedes is bigger than YOURS'*.(apologies to Nkem Nwankwo).

For me the simple problem with Nigeria is that Nigerians are not ready to build an economy based on productivity and innovation, instead all they talk about all day long is how money should be shared.

A good government is one which would redirect Nigeria's economy from being import dependent into an exporter of finished goods.

But on Nairaland we hear discussions about how this tribe is parasiting that tribe, and so on. Restructuring threads degenerate into 'We have to show the Hausas that we need our oil money back'. And as for religion.....we know how it has been used.

IN my opinion, Nigerians are not ready for good government. All they want is a government that shares money for them. So long as the oil prices remain high....and the sharing formula is deemed 'fair'....at least by one segment of the population....we have good government. (IN reality...we just have a cake sharing government).

So,as we welcome PMB Back from London...let's put pressure on him to make Nigeria a productive nation. We cannot continue to rely on oil. Or for that matter cotton, groundnuts, etc. Better we generate the environment for a million more Dangotes and Innosons and their likes. Not for another so called importer -exporter.

*If you are interested in buying the book...click here if you live in the USA.

8 Likes

Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by VickyRotex(f): 6:05pm On Aug 26, 2017
The posters above me need ifoti oloyin! angry angry

5 Likes

Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by ActionsShure: 6:05pm On Aug 26, 2017
Pls give buhari a break na
Haba
Even God our creator sef
Still rested
Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by kufre2010: 6:05pm On Aug 26, 2017
C50982How to make good leaders in Africa- Political office holders are always sworn into office by the Bible if a christian, Koran if a muslim and affirmation if a pagan. Can u imagine the extent of hypogracy! If u ask an average christian (e.g our vice president)to swear by the bible to convince u, he will say the bible forbid him from doing that but when he want to occupy political office, he will never remember that he is forbidden from swearing. This mere boooks should be taken away from our oath system since the are impotence powerless and unable to punish those that goes against their oath. They should be replace with Ogun, Amadioha and other traditional dieties. The priest who will administered the oath will take blood oath not to be patial. I know some people will oppose me but I will tell u bluntly that many Nigerians politician are on traditional oath to do the biddings of their godfathers e.g God'swill Akpabio and Udom Emmanuel, Orji Uzor kalu and theordor Orji etc Why wouldn't these people sworn on tradition as well to gorven Nigerians well.
Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by TANKDESTROYER(m): 6:06pm On Aug 26, 2017
Good governance is what we ask for
Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by AAinEqGuinea: 6:06pm On Aug 26, 2017
In 5 days Nigeria now has two *new* leaders in Abuja

Keep holding War, Ra.pe, and Famine over ppl's head when they dare make plans to secede.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by Nobody: 6:07pm On Aug 26, 2017
All these one na noise. I want light, good roads, affordable and quality education and health care, security, jobs, justice and a viable economic atmosphere which all Nigerian leaders have failed to provide. Every other thing na noise and that's why you need to read this exposed satanic photography secret
http://www.fototech.com.ng/learn-how-to-take-tack-sharp-photos-with-camera/
Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by Factfinder1(m): 6:07pm On Aug 26, 2017
embarassed
Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by Guilderland1(m): 6:07pm On Aug 26, 2017
All na hausa Muslims, tell me how we go become one Nigeria?

asking them to preserve Nigeria’s unity and end all threats to national security. In attendance were the Minister of Defence, Mansur Dan-Ali; the National Security Adviser, Babagana Monguno; the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai; the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Abubakar Sadique; the Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris; the Director-General of the Department of State Security (DSS), Malam Lawal Daura, and a representative of the Chief of Naval Staff.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by Nackzy: 6:08pm On Aug 26, 2017
5 Days of accusations, and bringing stupid laws.Accusing innocent rats and telling the army to arrest people that are criticising ur cluelesness...Had it been the previous government arrested your people like ...would ur foolish party be in power today

6 Likes

Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by Quality20(m): 6:08pm On Aug 26, 2017
we love buhari. he is a balanced leader not like Jonathan who gave DSS to ekpeyong a xtian from south south, chief of defense staff to badeh a xtian from adamawa, chief of army staff to minimah a xtian from south south , inspector of police to a xtian from Edo state and gave top ministries like finance, power, petroleum to ppl hu are xtians from south south and south east and after all looted d treasury with his madams - diezani n patience

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by Realdeals(m): 6:10pm On Aug 26, 2017
Sahara reporters 5min arrangee meeting comes to my mind, I'm they also observed the different cap Buhari put on for the different meetings which was pre-held and lasted for just 5 minute
Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by 001info: 6:10pm On Aug 26, 2017
Waiting chapter two
Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by abbeyty(m): 6:10pm On Aug 26, 2017
Hope they are paying vice president for double work
Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by Nickymezor(f): 6:14pm On Aug 26, 2017
Kkk
Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by Nobody: 6:14pm On Aug 26, 2017
cool

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by feelgoodstuffs(m): 6:17pm On Aug 26, 2017
Who has time to read this long epistle undecided

What we need is result
Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by gberra: 6:17pm On Aug 26, 2017
vedaxcool:
[s][/s]

No wailer no cry

Nooo wailer no cry

Lol!!.. Vedax, You & these your 2017 classics cheesy . oga, when you dey enter studio na?
You need to blast these lyrics into wailers' skulls...

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by burkingx(f): 6:20pm On Aug 26, 2017
grin
Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by burkingx(f): 6:21pm On Aug 26, 2017
Nackzy:
5 Days of accusations, and bringing stupid laws.Accusing innocent rats and telling the army to arrest people that are criticising ur cluelesness...Had it been the previous government arrested your people like ...would ur foolish party be in power today

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s First 5 Days After Return by emiarire(f): 6:22pm On Aug 26, 2017
Sometimes, i wonder what we gain from all these countdowns.... first it was 100 days in office, then 1 year in office, then 103 days out out of office, now its 5days back in office.

Hmm, its time we realize that we have to stop waiting up on these people and counting their achievements per day, and start counting ours.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Advice Kingsley Moghalu To ‘fire On’, We Are Proud Of You. / Shiites React To Police Order For Leaders' Arrest / Nigerians In China Blamed By House Of Representatives Panel Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.