Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,353 members, 7,839,630 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 04:17 AM

The Promise Of Dangote’s $12bn Refinery - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Promise Of Dangote’s $12bn Refinery (26344 Views)

Prices Of Dangote, BUA, Lafarge, Other Cement After Meeting With FG / Commissioning Of Dangote Refinery - (Live Video, Pictures) / Ooni Of Ife And Aliko Dangote On A Tour Of Dangote Refinery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Promise Of Dangote’s $12bn Refinery by Nobody: 7:45pm On Aug 27, 2017
soberdrunk:
As much as this refinery is a welcome development, i am not comfortable with this man's 'Monopolistic grip' on the Nigerian economy, it is not good for a fragile economy like ours....... angry
We are sinking someone needs to get a grip, be it government or individual.
Re: The Promise Of Dangote’s $12bn Refinery by burkingx(f): 8:00pm On Aug 27, 2017
grin
soberdrunk:

Keep laughing and making memes, i hope you will still find it funny when your kids are working long hours in one of Dangotes companies for less than minimum wage....

Re: The Promise Of Dangote’s $12bn Refinery by burkingx(f): 8:01pm On Aug 27, 2017
[quote author=seunny4lif post=59876071][/quote]

Re: The Promise Of Dangote’s $12bn Refinery by BecomeALandLord(m): 8:03pm On Aug 27, 2017
Major reason amongst other reasons to invest at Ibeju Lekki.

Read my signature
Re: The Promise Of Dangote’s $12bn Refinery by EponOjuku: 8:04pm On Aug 27, 2017
ultron12345:
and did anybody restrain you from building your own refinery to compete with his and break his potential monopoly. Some people will just be spewing trash.

Go and find out what SON did to Lafarge when Dangote 3X Cement was launched.

If you don't know what's happening in regulatory circles, you should shut up.

1 Like

Re: The Promise Of Dangote’s $12bn Refinery by sevenhundred(m): 8:23pm On Aug 27, 2017
hobermener:
Dangote and his ilks are just fronts for the old order (the wealthy military junta), considering the kind of concessions they enjoy.
The way this project is being heralded and anticipated by the present government gives one the feeling that the economic hope of africa's most populous nation hinges solely on this refinery. Nigerians wake up!!! Dangote refinery wont solve our myriad of problems!!!
but atleast you still need to appreciates his efforts, if he built this in qatar what else can we do?
Re: The Promise Of Dangote’s $12bn Refinery by Nobody: 8:51pm On Aug 27, 2017
I hope all ye children of hate who hate aliko won't send their c.v. oooooo
Re: The Promise Of Dangote’s $12bn Refinery by DonMekino(m): 10:53pm On Aug 27, 2017
DrayZee:

I think a monopoly on certain sectors by him wouldn't be so bad. I mean, some of these things are simple things the government could have just closed their eyes and built.
But instead, they decided to let us wallow in the repercussions of their poor reasoning.

Now this same Dangote is rumored to have began preparations for a standard private university with focus on science and technology. Tertiary education sector is not known to be an avenue for making profit. This guy is using his money to make things better.
Honestly, I see no reason why he shouldn't have control on some of Nigeria's resources.
After all, he won't use millions to start buying Christmas trees angry

**Tertiary education sector is not known to be an avenue for making profits**.... That's not true.. He is investing also.... Unless the education is free or the private universities in Nigeria and the world don't make profits?
Re: The Promise Of Dangote’s $12bn Refinery by DrayZee: 11:21pm On Aug 27, 2017
DonMekino:

**Tertiary education sector is not known to be an avenue for making profits**.... That's not true.. He is investing also.... Unless the education is free or the private universities in Nigeria and the world don't make profits?
I won't make too much argument here. Leave other universities aside. Focus on Nigerian ones.
Now, make adequate research on the running costs for electricity alone in a university (24/7 for a year).
Not to talk of salaries, other general running cost.
There are many things I don't remember. That's why I said make a comprehensive research.
Now relate that to the fees paid in such universities. You may find something different.

Sure, some might make profit, but not as much as people think.
Re: The Promise Of Dangote’s $12bn Refinery by DabuIIIT: 11:30pm On Aug 27, 2017
EponOjuku:
Nigerians are in for a long thing.

How much was a bag of cement before Dangote monopolized the cement sector? How much is it now?

How much was sugar before he monopolized the sugar market? How much is it now?

Wait till Dangote enjoys his monopoly on the electricity generation to Lagos, petrol to Nigeria and more. That's when Nigeria would start paying attention to something called 'Competition Law'.
bla bla bla
make we hear world,abeg..if dangote contest for presidency 2mao,a4onjas like u will vote for him still...
Re: The Promise Of Dangote’s $12bn Refinery by Desyner: 12:48am On Aug 28, 2017
Imagine that youurgovt had built 2of such refineries in time past. Nigeria would have been far ahead.
Re: The Promise Of Dangote’s $12bn Refinery by DabuIIIT: 7:53am On Aug 28, 2017
EponOjuku:

That's because you're political illiterates and we determine who rules you.

èse gan,thank u,épònlaojukwu,eku one naijiriya,awòn abobaku...never u complain or God will remind u...bawoni bokoyiboz? grin
Re: The Promise Of Dangote’s $12bn Refinery by Dollabiz: 8:41am On Aug 28, 2017
Really
Re: The Promise Of Dangote’s $12bn Refinery by RealMillennial(m): 10:36am On Aug 28, 2017
soberdrunk:
As much as this refinery is a welcome development, i am not comfortable with this man's 'Monopolistic grip' on the Nigerian economy, it is not good for a fragile economy like ours....... angry

What is your point?
He isn't stopping anyone else from venturing into his same lines of business, is he?
This monopoly thing only appears so because too many of our millionaires & billionaires dont want to put their head down and grow something long-term in industry like this.
They'd rather stash it somewhere, put most of it in shady investments that cant help the system or invest in foreign economies.
Private sector giants with a big vision have always been doing what he's doing here - [i.e they try to establish their business in every major area of need within the economy, they make their brand indispensable], until healthy competition arrives.
I am not going to label him a political gamer just because no one else is doing what he does in that scope and the govt of d day seems to give him some privileges.
Re: The Promise Of Dangote’s $12bn Refinery by 400billionman: 1:08pm On Aug 28, 2017
seXytOhbAd:
I applaud the vision,boldness, and direction this man took towards pushing this project forward. I will like to analyse why Dangote is truly a visionary without any tribal bias.

Proper analysis of the oil game. Femi Otedola made billions of dollars at the peak of the oil spike. He could have easily gotten into refining crude within the country, taking advantage of his already monopolised position in the diesel sector to further boost his position. Yet, he decided to focus on distributing already refined product, paying for refining, transportation and clearing of a product that is in abundance here in our beautiful country.
Ifeanyi Uba was another tycoon who could have easily gone into the refining business. His contacts in government put him at a very advantageous position, yet his alleged dealings with his Nnewi billionaire brother Cosmas Maduka soiled his reputation and tarnished his image in the financial sector.

Lesson: Dangote is really a late comer to the oil business in terms of active participation, but he decided to focus on a different aspect of the game after watching everyone else take a stab at it. Even if you want to say he is chopping political favours and money, you cannot deny his business acumen. Besides, if you were a politician and Dangote wanted you to invest your ill gotten gains in his business, really, would you say no?

Those other men you mentioned do not have the financial prowess to build a refinery.

Otedola and Ifeanyi Uba are not worth more than $1bn each. When Dangote first budgeted for this refinery, he first mentioned $2.5bn. Later, $6bn, later $9bn. Now this write up mentioned $18bn as its projected total cost. In the construction industry, there are some projects, you will not know its final cost, until you have started it.

Dangote cement being the highest quoted company on the Nigerian stock exchange, about $10bn. You should know that he is funding that refinery from sale of cement. Or you are wondering why cement is N2,500 since January 2017. That's the source of the refinery construction money.

CBN and some other African finance corporations have also contributed funds to the success of the project.
Re: The Promise Of Dangote’s $12bn Refinery by 400billionman: 1:11pm On Aug 28, 2017
hobermener:
Dangote and his ilks are just fronts for the old order (the wealthy military junta), considering the kind of concessions they enjoy.
The way this project is being heralded and anticipated by the present government gives one the feeling that the economic hope of africa's most populous nation hinges solely on this refinery. Nigerians wake up!!! Dangote refinery wont solve our myriad of problems!!!

They do not know.

Poor people by their financial position are mostly helpless and most of their joy derives from SWEET news, and dang ote and the average Nigerian politician are good in that aspect.

1 Like

Re: The Promise Of Dangote’s $12bn Refinery by 400billionman: 1:16pm On Aug 28, 2017
DEADALIVE:
Do not judge a book by its cover... wait after four years then you will understand the mindset of a capitalist

Do not mind them

I just dey laugh.

Shebi, he said he will make cement sell at N1,000 per bag. He was using that to court the GEJ,(a sincere) administration.

How much is cement selling today ? The chips are down. Its N2,500.
Re: The Promise Of Dangote’s $12bn Refinery by freshest4live: 2:08pm On Aug 28, 2017
400billionman:

Do not mind them

I just dey laugh.

Shebi, he said he will make cement sell at N1,000 per bag. He was using that to court the GEJ,(a sincere) administration.

How much is cement selling today ? The chips are down. Its N2,500.
is the value of the naira not also way above what it should be and even inflation and interest rate is high in Nigeria.
Re: The Promise Of Dangote’s $12bn Refinery by seXytOhbAd(m): 4:44pm On Aug 28, 2017
400billionman:

Those other men you mentioned do not have the financial prowess to build a refinery.

Otedola and Ifeanyi Uba are not worth more than $1bn each. When Dangote first budgeted for this refinery, he first mentioned $2.5bn. Later, $6bn, later $9bn. Now this write up mentioned $18bn as its projected total cost. In the construction industry, there are some projects, you will not know its final cost, until you have started it.

Dangote cement being the highest quoted company on the Nigerian stock exchange, about $10bn. You should know that he is funding that refinery from sale of cement. Or you are wondering why cement is N2,500 since January 2017. That's the source of the refinery construction money.

CBN and some other African finance corporations have also contributed funds to the success of the project.

Well, I think otedola and Ubah could have built refineries, though smaller complexes.
Re: The Promise Of Dangote’s $12bn Refinery by 400billionman: 8:42am On Aug 29, 2017
freshest4live:

is the value of the naira not also way above what it should be and even inflation and interest rate is high in Nigeria.

Leave that value of naira thing.

One cup of Egusi is still N100.

There are ways big businesses adjust in the face of changing financial circumstances.

Why are the banks profits not affected by the recession ? They are running highly advanced business models. likewise the cement companies.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chat With The New UBA Banker, LEO / Naira Bounces Back, Appreciates To N470/$ In Parallel Market / N120bn Aviation Fund: UBA And Jimoh Ibrahim Disagree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.