Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,071 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 (16309 Views)

Photos From Ikwerre Bicycle Carnival, Rivers State / Photos From Isiokpo Bicycle Carnival, Rivers State / Photos From 2021 Osun Osogbo Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 by Narldon: 12:40pm On Aug 30, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Ugep...
Beautiful scenery and lovely groundnuts.

Whenever I think of this town all I see are cultists...
Even the Nugerian Army could not tame the Yakurrs.

It seems you've been to all the States?

Re: Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 by Nobody: 12:44pm On Aug 30, 2017
emerich:
Whenever I hear Ugep, cannibalism comes to mind...
[
Chuksjay:
Nice cultural show but if u no waka well for that community dey go use u do bush meat
quote author=potent5 post=59964910]

I'm from Ugep and so my response would be obvious.

Please confirm from people who did NYSC in Ugep. Most if them have refused to go back to their states.

It is only in Ugep that corps members are still given foodstuff by the palace weekly. You can confirm this.
Re: Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 by Olulinks(m): 12:47pm On Aug 30, 2017
Narldon:

Were we Enemies?

Not at all.

I just wanna be a friend you can chill with. I know you don't chill with strangers.
Re: Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 by Narldon: 12:48pm On Aug 30, 2017
Olulinks:

Not at all.

I just wanna be a friend you can chill with. I know you don't chill with strangers.

LoL

That's cool.
Re: Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 by Nobody: 12:49pm On Aug 30, 2017
hardywaltz:
Ugep is notorious for cannibalism.
Visitors should be very careful when visiting that area.
In 2005 they eat up the DPO of the police station forcing the NPF to close their police station in Ugep

This is a wicked lie!

Ugep has never eaten anybody and the Station has never been closed for one day.

A lot of people in NL served in Ugep, they can testify to this.

Take your lies out of here.

1 Like

Re: Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 by sonymax16(m): 12:52pm On Aug 30, 2017
DrWise:
My culture, my heritage!

Never seen a culture as rich as ours. That is the yekpi or lobo day. What I enjoy most in this day is when the chief priest goes round the town for children who have been too sickly over the years. He performs some peace rituals for them and that would be the end of such illness.
Wow never knew u are from there. Am actually from yakurr LGA.
Re: Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 by Nobody: 12:53pm On Aug 30, 2017
sonymax16:

Wow never knew u are from there. Am actually from yakurr LGA.

Yeah, I am from Ugep. Ikpakapit precisely.

You?
Re: Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 by munas: 1:01pm On Aug 30, 2017
hardywaltz:
Ugep is notorious for cannibalism.
Visitors should be very careful when visiting that area.
In 2005 they eat up the DPO of the police station forcing the NPF to close their police station in Ugep

I have also heard about their canibalism from a soldier who worked there
Re: Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 by sonymax16(m): 1:02pm On Aug 30, 2017
DrWise:

Yeah, I am from Ugep. Ikpakapit precisely.

You?
Am an mkpani man

1 Like

Re: Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 by hardywaltz(m): 1:03pm On Aug 30, 2017
DrWise:

This is a wicked lie!

Ugep dey wack human being that one no be new gist

http://thevyrusonline..com.ng/2015/02/sally-island-29.html?m=1

https://www.nairaland.com/100876/nigerian-ethnic-groups-where-cannibalism

1 Like

Re: Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 by potent5(m): 1:07pm On Aug 30, 2017
DrWise:
[quote author=potent5 post=59964910]

Please confirm from people who did NYSC in Ugep. Most if them have refused to go back to their states.

It is only in Ugep that corps members are still given foodstuff by the palace weekly. You can confirm this.
I am just asking.

I once got stranded in that town one night in 2000 on my way back to school. It was a terrifyingly harrowing experience for all of us in the bus by the roadside throughout the night. We were all scared but nothing happened to us and no one molested us even though we were parked in the middle of the town.

2 Likes

Re: Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 by Ursino(f): 1:08pm On Aug 30, 2017
DrWise:
My culture, my heritage!

Never seen a culture as rich as ours. That is the yekpi or lobo day. What I enjoy most in this day is when the chief priest goes round the town for children who have been too sickly over the years. He performs some peace rituals for them and that would be the end of such illness.

Interesting!

And they believe they are cured ? I pray it doesn't come back worse !
Re: Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 by Xyzee: 1:16pm On Aug 30, 2017
[quote author=potent5 post=59965921][/quote]

I did NYSC in Ugep. Ugep is a peaceful and hispitable community and I still have friends there. I learnt their forefathers were cannibals but I don't think it still exist.
Re: Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 by wisdom042(m): 1:17pm On Aug 30, 2017
[quote]See how beautiful they look. Cross Rivers is truly the nation's paradise. Nations paradise without job opportunity for youths.
Re: Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 by Nobody: 1:24pm On Aug 30, 2017
Ursino:

Interesting!

And they believe they are cured ? I pray it doesn't come back worse !

I'm a living witness, those children can never be sick again. See pix below of the chief priest of Njokolo performing a peace ritual on a sick child.

Re: Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 by Nobody: 1:40pm On Aug 30, 2017
Re: Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 by pazienza(m): 1:40pm On Aug 30, 2017
YAKURR BE-IBE HISTORICAL BACKGROUND (By Eteng Obono Okoi)
Yakurr comprises nine clans, these clans are Agoi Ekpo, Agoi Ibami, Assiga, Ekori, Idomi, Inyima, Mkpani, Nko and Ugep.
“Loka is the language spoken by the Yakurr people. The language is of the Bantu linguistic family, which is refers to as ‘’the people’’ is a linguistic classification of a group of closely related people languages spoken in the linguistic boundary known as the Bantu line which runs from the South-Eastern Nigeria through Central and Eastern Africa to Southern Africa.
Yakurr has been described by Iwara (1988) as one of the most widely spoken languages in Cross River State with Efik which enjoys the special status of a lingua franca in the state.’’
Yakurr shared their East and Northern boundaries with Obubra, in the West with Abi, and Southern boundary with Biase,
Yakurr, like the rest of other Nigeria nations experienced dynamism in all aspects of life. This point should be borne in mind so that we do not get a false impression of a changeless society.
TRADITION OF ORIGIN
The tradition of origin of Yakurr have remained a controversial issue among historians writing on the above topic. Captain Chessman in his report on Yakurr, and Ayiga clans stated that ‘’it was fairly certain that the Yakurr people first lived near Okuni’’.
Dr. Otu Abam Ubi in his PhD thesis asserted that ‘’the ancestral home of Yakurr was at Lekanakpakpa. Ubi further asserted that Ikom people called Lekanakpakpa Onugi, that information gotten from Okuni traditions confirmed that the Yako were their neigbour at Onugi, that they too migrated from the area’’.
Enang Bassey (1980) who wrote on the tradition of origin of Yakurr also noted that ‘’Lekanakpakpa had been identify to be the Oban hill which is South Olulumo area. He further asserted that Lekanakpakpa and Onugi are therefore likely to be the same thing, but referred to differently by the Okuni and Yakurr people.’’ Enang Bassey and Ubi shared the same idea on the topic. That, Yakurr people migrated from a place called ‘’Lekanakpakpa’’ as a result of a conflict over a violation of burial tradition by Yakurr people. The migration of Yakurr to their present homeland was accomplished in three phases. The first phase constitutes Ugep, Mkpani and Idomi, the second phase constitutes Ekori while the third phase constitutes Nko.’’ But despite all these assertions some questions of many Yakurr people were not yet answered.
The questions are who founded Yakurr? Who founded the first Yakurr dynasty? Who founded the second Yakurr dynasty? Why is the Yakurr traditional political system headed by Obol Lopon who must come only from the Leboljimo Matrilineal family?
Eteng Obono Okoi (2007) in his researched paper asserted that ,Yakurr was founded by a woman called Obia (which literally means” visitor” in Igbo language) a princess from Abiriba in Igbo land who had a misunderstanding with her father over the palace administrative system. She ran out of the palace, and migrated northward and settled at Akpa where she had an encounter with a hunter, she narrated her ordeal to the hunter. They got married. It was this relationship and a conquest they embarked on that formed what is today known as “Yako”. It was princess Obia that formed the first Yakurr dynasty at Akpa. On a Council of Chiefs Meeting at the Obol Lopon palace, when Obol Obia took her seat, her womanhood was exposed to some chiefs. She saw this incident as an abomination against the kingdom. She handed over the mantle of Obol Loponship to her son Ibe.
Obol Ibe started the second Yakurr dynasty. He prove himself as a great leader and warrior, he has won many wars. Those who were conquered during the wars were made to be part of Ibe’s family. He has the interest of his subjects at heart. He was admired by all his subjects and were called and addressed as Yako Be-ibe. It was when Ibe was full of age and on a sick-bed that a misunderstanding between Yako and her neigbours occurred. Weeks later he died. This was what necessitated an attack on Yako. Before the attack, Ibe’s family was dispersed. They migrated to their present home land and continued with their traditional political system that is today still based on Obol-Lopon.

http://etengo..com.ng/2011/08/yakurr-be-ibe-historical-backgroung.html?m=1

2 Likes

Re: Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 by pazienza(m): 1:45pm On Aug 30, 2017
fratermathy:
Watch as IPOB youths will come and claim this place as Biafran territory or say that the people are Igboid.

You are roaming.

Ugep is not Igbo or Igboid.

But as always, there is hardly any group in the present SS that didn't have pre colonial contacts and inter relationship with Ndiigbo. grin

I know it must be painful for you as an Urhobo man screeching "We SS people " up and down to swallow the fact, that Urhobo has no precolonial contact or cultural exchanges with this wonderful set of people in Cross River state.
Ndo.

3 Likes

Re: Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 by pazienza(m): 1:50pm On Aug 30, 2017
Ugep are good people. I met one of them in NYSC camp, very funny and lively young man. Made my stay in the camp bearable.
This thread just brought back nostalgic moments.

For those talking trash about cannibalism, you lots need to get real, almost all African groups were accused of tribalism by the whites, Ugep cannibalism story is as stupid as the Ngwa cannibalism story.

People just stay in their neck of woods and be concocting lies to denigrate the image of group they are not part of and know nothing about.

2 Likes

Re: Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 by pazienza(m): 1:59pm On Aug 30, 2017
Ugep people don�t eat human flesh, says chief

Cannibalism, like the killing of twins, was among the several socio-cultural accusations leveled against Africans by the Europeans that subsequently colonized the black continent decades ago. They had been piqued with some traditional practices and had made attempts to rid the people of such savagery.

Almost 100 years after the colonization, such feral traditions are believed to still exist, albeit remotely in some communities. For instance, it is assumed that some communities allegedly indulge in eating the flesh of their own kind.

People in northern Nigeria have the thinking that the traits of cannibalism ascribed to the Ugep community of Yankurr local government area of Cross Rivers state still persists as it is generally assumed in the region that human flesh is still the favorite meat amongst these people.

This allegation has also found expression in the minds of even the neighbors of the Ugep who have equally accused them of cannibalism, as Sunday Trust discovered during a visit to the Ugep community, in a bid to unravel the mystery behind this age-long allegation.

According to the traditional ruler of the community, Obol Lopon of Ugep, Obol Ubi Ujong who is the paramount ruler of Yakurr Local Government that comprises the towns of Nko, Ikori, Mpani, Edomi, Agoyi Mpani, Agoyi Ikpo, old Asiga and new Asiga in Cross Rivers State, "it was done in the olden days, but as civilization came up we discovered that those things had stopped." He however, told Sunday Trust that he has so far not witnessed flesh eating in his community in his 78 years.

The paramount ruler who was speaking with Sunday Trust in his palace in Ugep, the headquarters of Yankurr chiefdom in Cross Rivers state, said that the accusation of cannibalism against them should not be treated in isolation as it had at one time or the other been a part of life of other communities, not only in the South but in the North as well, "in those days there were some villages that were very rough, I visited some of them. Some were accused of cannibalism but they denied such allegations."

The Obol Lopon conceded that, "even though the people had eaten (the flesh) of people in the olden days, it is now history." The traditional ruler who is also a retired Police Inspector added that cannibalism amongst his people is no longer feasible even if it had happened in the past stressing that "if as at now we still behave like that, then our children who are scattered all over the north and even outside the country will also be eaten up as well."

The 78-year-old chief who gave an insight into the cannibalism affair said that "the background to this eating of people (flesh) came from the area we were occupying before known as Agba which is very close to Calabar. All of us who now formed the bulk of Yakurr were living there."

While living peacefully together, the paramount ruler said "we share a custom with those people who also lived with us there called Agba. Any time any of them (Agba) died they would call us as brothers living with them to go and help bury their dead. That was the old custom several years back. On the other hand, when any of us died we would call them to come and reciprocate that gesture by helping us burying our dead."

The police inspector- turned traditional ruler explained that that custom was practiced for several years until the Agba people started suspecting something, "at a point they became suspicious that anytime they gave us their dead to bury, we did not bury them, we instead ate them. That angered them and they drove us from that place."

Obol Lopon revealed further that the Agba people chased them with their warriors killing people along the way through Calabar and inside the thick forest up to Edomi hills which was deserted then. Said he "up to the time we climbed the hill the enemies were still following us. They followed us to a particular height then an old man amongst us advised that �if they climbed the hill and meet us here they will all kill us. Why don�t we therefore push some big stones down their direction so that it will kill them?� So we all pushed the stones and killed some of them and the rest ran away. The stones saved our people."

He said also that it was after that episode that the people disintegrated and established the various towns that formed the current Yakurr Local Government. The traditional ruler who is also a member of Cross Rivers State traditional council of chiefs was enthroned as the Obol Lopon of Ugep and paramount ruler of Yankurr chiefdom in 1986 after a stint in the Nigeria police force, the defunct Mercantile Bank and RCC construction firm.

http://nm.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=12514

1 Like

Re: Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 by gabe: 3:03pm On Aug 30, 2017
Attend at your peril. Ugep people's special delicacy is human flesh, preferably strangers...
Re: Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 by haysmart90(m): 3:15pm On Aug 30, 2017
I stay very close to ugep.. Anybody at ugep here truly? Only females o
Re: Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 by sonnie10: 3:59pm On Aug 30, 2017
Narldon:

It seems you've been to all the States?

You are so right. I was going to say that too

1 Like

Re: Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 by mrkel(m): 5:26pm On Aug 30, 2017
DrWise:

This is a wicked lie!

That Ugep people engages in cannibalism is not in doubt as it is clearly documented in the book "Tragedy of victory: on the spot Account of the Nigeria-Biafra war in the Atlantic Theatre" by Brigadier-General Godwin Alabi.

The author who fought in the Nigeria-Biafra gave a vivid account in his book on how they were fed with eba and soup containing human flesh by the Ugep people after liberating the place. That they only got to know that they ate human after they have consumed the said meat.

And guess what, the human flesh were Biafra soldiers that were killed by the Ugep people.
Re: Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 by potent5(m): 5:56pm On Aug 30, 2017
DrWise:
[quote author=potent5 post=59964910]

Re: Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 by sonnie10: 7:59pm On Aug 30, 2017
There is a street called Biko Biko (in igbo it means please , please)street in Ugep. The story is that a certain igbo soldier was being hunted to be slaughtered for meat, as they chased him, he kept yelling; Biko, Biko. They finally got him.

This was during the war, before the soliders invaded and burnt down the city.

So touching!
Re: Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 by nengibo: 9:10pm On Aug 30, 2017
sonnie10:
There is a street called Biko Biko (in igbo it means please , please)street in Ugep. The story is that a certain igbo soldier was being hunted to be slaughtered for meat, as they chased him, he kept yelling; Biko, Biko. They finally got him.

This was during the war, before the soliders invaded and burnt down the city.

So touching!
Wat

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oluwo Of Iwo, Akanbi, Threatens To ‘Arrest’ Magistrate / How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? / Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.