Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,147 members, 7,818,447 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? (16342 Views)

Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? / Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry / How Far Can You Trace Your Genealogy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by odumchi: 6:54am On Jan 29, 2012
Africans, and Nigerians specifically, are very proud people. In Naija, we value our cultures and histories and more importantly, the significant people in our families. So my question to you guys is how far back can you trace your ancestry?

1 Like

Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by NegroNtns(m): 6:59am On Jan 29, 2012
How far back do you want us to go? cheesy
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by odumchi: 7:06am On Jan 29, 2012
I'll start.

My ancestry can be traced back to my great great great grandfather who was a slave trader and merchant and farther back to my patriarchs Okennachi, Agwu Inobia, and Osim and Akuma Nnubi. Through Osim and Akuma Nnubi, it can also be traced further back to a town called Akampka in modern day Cross-River State. Through Agwu Inobia, it can be traced further back and (possibly) to Nri and through Okennachi it can be traced further back to the Edda clan in the Cross-River basin in present day Ebonyi state.

1 Like

Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by odumchi: 7:07am On Jan 29, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

How far back do you want us to go? cheesy

As far back as you can go.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by NegroNtns(m): 7:10am On Jan 29, 2012
Oh, so you are a cross between Igbo and Ibibio, or is it Efik

As far back as you can go.

Do I start from Adam and work my way down, or start from Negro and work my way up?
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by tpia5: 7:12am On Jan 29, 2012
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by odumchi: 7:21am On Jan 29, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

Oh, so you are a cross between Igbo and Ibibio, or is it Efik

Do I start from Adam and work my way down, or start from Negro and work my way up?

Actually they are called "Akpa" but they are closely related to the Efik. I won't say that I am a cross because this happened hundreds of years ago. Now, I am just Igbo.

You have yet to give us your own ancestry.

1 Like

Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by tpia5: 7:23am On Jan 29, 2012
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by odumchi: 7:24am On Jan 29, 2012
tpia@:

far enough @ topic.

over analysis can be counter productive sometimes.

if i know my grandparents, i'm ok.

although of course i could invent some fancy genealogy for myself.

How so (at the bolded)?

I guess you aren't interested in contributing.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by tpia5: 7:33am On Jan 29, 2012
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by NegroNtns(m): 7:45am On Jan 29, 2012
although of course i could invent some fancy genealogy for myself.

aaahhhh!! Great idea! wink Negro's father was Lion King, who was fathered by African Lion, his father before him was Dansaki, who himself was born by Zaki and before him was Omo Erin, who was birthed by Erin himself. All of them originated from world of wibe web and their tongue was ASCII.

Odumchi who did your great grandfather enslave, Efiks or Igbos?
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by odumchi: 7:46am On Jan 29, 2012
tpia@:

because it's over analysis @ bolded.

and i've already contributed.

i'm just not really interested in going further than grandparents because i dont see the reason per se.

doesnt mean i cant go further however.

i think i've traced my family history in general, and so far, what i discovered checks out with the oral tradition i was told when growing up. At least i can say i know a definite 55%+  to 65%+ of my genealogy. Maybe 75% on one side and possibly about 45% of the other side.

hopefully, the loose ends will be filled in later, but if not, no biggie.

can you place a specific time period for the people you listed in your ancestry? Just curious.

since you mentioned slave trade, that would be 19th century i suppose.

Okay, it's fine if you choose not to contribute last your grandparents. I do remember you once hinted that you were in your seventies or sixties, so the grandparent of someone of your caliber would be equivalent to the great grandparent of mine which is still very interesting. If you could give us some things about your grandparents, it would be fine also but only if you choose to.

Yes, my great great great grandfather was born somewhere between 1860-1880. The other people I talked about were in the 1640s.

1 Like

Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by odumchi: 7:50am On Jan 29, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

aaahhhh!! Great idea! wink Negro's father was Lion King, who was fathered by African Lion, his father before him was Dansaki, who himself was born by Zaki and before him was Omo Erin, who was birthed by Erin himself. All of them originated from world of wibe web and their tongue was ASCII.

Odumchi who did your great grandfather enslave, Efiks or Igbos?

Please let's be serious.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by NegroNtns(m): 8:08am On Jan 29, 2012
okay, okay. . . . I cant reveal anything here about my ancestry, serious! Yoruba people will know who I am and then the exchanges will have a different tone. I enjoy the peer relationship and its openess. It will also reveal my identity to some Hausas and trust me, it will change relationships on that level also once they discover where I went to school and who I hung with. Sorry! cry
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by ChinenyeN(m): 8:17am On Jan 29, 2012
As is the case with most Ngwa families, I can trace my lineage back to the progenitor of my nnadi, which is all the way back to the 17th century (we guess). Beyond that, everything is blank, up until we remember the progenitors of our various clans, their children and grandchildren (in some cases).

Basically. . .
- Myself
-
-
-
- Known descendants
-
-
-
- Nnadi Progenitor -17th century (guesstimate)
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
- Centuries of unknown ancestors
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
- Clan progenitors' grandchildren (in some cases) *
- Clan progenitors' children *
- Clan progenitors *

footnote: (*) indicates dates are unknown
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by eghost247(m): 9:27am On Jan 29, 2012
lol tracing back ancetry damn i love nairaland
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by Nobody: 9:56am On Jan 29, 2012
my ancestry dates back---IN A GALAXY FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR AWAY.were the LORD SITH DARKU rules a powerful empire. MY GREAT GRAND FATHER X51 "LORD BINI BLACKWOOD.a true and humble warrior who believes in justice for all; couldn't stand the corrupt system . confronted the entire SITH ARMY. but he was overpowered and cast out of the GALAXY transported to earth. were he met my GREATGRAND MOTHER X51. and well you just imagine the rest, grin
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by Mavor: 10:03am On Jan 29, 2012
igwemoagbo:

my ancestry dates back---IN A GALAXY FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR AWAY.were the LORD SITH DARKU rules a powerful empire. MY GREAT GRAND FATHER X51 "LORD BINI BLACKWOOD.a true and humble warrior who believes in justice for all; couldn't stand the corrupt system . confronted the entire SITH ARMY. but he was overpowered and cast out of the GALAXY transported to earth. were he met my GREATGRAND MOTHER X51. and well you just imagine the rest, grin
You chop winch today? grin
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by wowo2: 10:24am On Jan 29, 2012
Let's ask the thieving politicians how far forward the can trace the lineage they are stealing public funds for.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by sweetcocoa(f): 10:30am On Jan 29, 2012
Oboy the story long gan and me sef never understand most part of it. My grand dad who was one time the EZE tried explaining it on many occasions but the kinda names he called was just so hard to grab.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by bashydemy(m): 10:34am On Jan 29, 2012
My great grand, father Name is Adam and my Great grand, mother name i Eve
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by PA1982(f): 10:37am On Jan 29, 2012
My own Dad came to the UK from Nigeria with a false identity.
I know absolutely nothing about his family and suspect even my sirname is a product of his flight from Nigeria.
I enjoy reading about people who DO know about their family roots.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by Bumpad: 10:38am On Jan 29, 2012
wowo2:

Let's ask the thieving politicians how far forward the can trace the lineage they are stealing public funds for.
must everything we say link to politics
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by wesley80(m): 11:14am On Jan 29, 2012
Luckily for me, my roots and ancestry are pretty clear and lies in the twin towns of Aboh and another neighbouring community. Though I've become an Aboh man today, my actual root lies elsewhere as my ancestor abt 8 generations ago moved down to Aboh accompanying her sister that was married off to an Aboh prince in line with ancient tradition. Certain traditions have over generations made my family ties to my roots unbreakable and I can't help but be thankful for them. For example, Being both predominantly fishing communities, there's a certain fish (reputed to be the biggest in our rivers) that you MUST NOT eat or sell when caught but must be taken to the eldest in the family for some rites, a tradition that still exists to this day!. My grandma told stories of how their parents had to walk for days with rotten fish back in the days. From my ancestral home, my lineage is one way as my progenitor was the founder of the community and the kingship still rotates among the family of his four(or so) children of which mine is one, my Father still receives his share of communty land sold and so on. Some say the founder of the town was a Bini prince some disagree but I'm content to trace my roots back that far and I can't help but feel sorry for those that can hardly go beyond 2 generations!

1 Like

Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by OneNaira6: 11:16am On Jan 29, 2012
For generations. I know whom my great(x20) grandparents are and where they come from.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by Pennywise(m): 11:47am On Jan 29, 2012
I made a deliberate effort to look into my ancestry recently. It was easier on the maternal side, they being better educated and I dare say better structured than the other half. I was able to convincingly trace my root back to circa 1780. There were a few colourful characters. Some were very well accomplished. I knew abt some big names living in distant cities but had no clue we were related.

I have observed that at some point every man (woman) would like to know about these things. I had fun going about mine. Now I have a detailed family tree drawn out in my PC and I know that my kids when matured enough will be asking the sort of questions I have been asking and I will be ready.

2 Likes

Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by eemmason(m): 12:02pm On Jan 29, 2012
''Do I start from Adam and work my way down, or start from Negro and work my way up?'' if there's a side way option, i'll prefer that!
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by Ezeufi: 12:17pm On Jan 29, 2012
This is a very usuful thread as it exposes both the usefulness and uselessness of human lives. In Africa, most Africans would probably find themselves belongs to another "ethnic" in every 4 or 5 generations back as people have alsways been moving to new teritories for centuries. Personally, my surname is not the most common name in Naigeria and when I was in oyinboland I met someone who thought I was his kinfolk as we shared the same surname. Surprise surprise, he was from what he called MANYIKALAND, in modern day Zimbabwe. I happened to be in Zambia for work related activities and I met more people who share my surname then I have ever seen in Nigeria. So, one may speculate and postulate that Im originally from Manyikaland but it can hardly be proven. That is the reality of life.

1 Like

Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by lilkech(m): 2:00pm On Jan 29, 2012
MY GREAT GRAND FATHER WAS MACOPOLO . . . GOOGLE CAN TELL YOU THE REST OF MY FAMILY STORY

I WAS BORN WHITE . . . DONT MIND THE COLOR OF MY SKIN TODAY

A RARE SKIN PIGMENT DISORDER CAUSED IT

WHEN I GET OLDER I WILL DEFINITELY TURN RED ( according to my doctor )
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by antartica(m): 2:24pm On Jan 29, 2012
I have the tombs of my ancestors as far back as 16th century,not just story but real life,where they are buried.We still keep them alive and maintain them because they are still part of us.

The ancestors never die,when they leave this world they elevate in the spiritual realm and become smaller gods and link to the supreme forces.We are our ancestors and our ancestors are us.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by lilkech(m): 2:30pm On Jan 29, 2012
^^^

CLASSIC EXAMPLE OF ' WATCHING TOO MUCH HISTORY CHANNEL ' SYNDROME
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by antartica(m): 2:34pm On Jan 29, 2012
Knowing your genealogy helps to prevent Incest and inbreeding in communities.We don't marry within fifth generation in our community because we know,we can trace.It has to be out the fifth generation for the marriage not to be an abomination.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photos From The Ugep International Leboku Festival 2017 / What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? / Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.