Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,308 members, 7,819,049 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:32 AM

Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors (7473 Views)

High-profile Fraud: EFCC Probes Four Judges Frustrating Probe / Tambuwal Probes The “Abduction” Of Patience Paul In Sokoto / Photos: Two Nigerian Newspapers Make March 28 Projections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by mekusxxx: 3:54am On Feb 22, 2010
US probes two Nigerian pastors
By Ike Nnamdi, The Sun reporter, New York
Monday, February 22, 2010

Photo: Sun News Publishing
More Stories on This Section

Two of Nigeria’s most popular televangelists are among six high profile preachers under investigation by American authorities for making false miracle claims and allegedly spending church funds without approval.

The probe is headed by Sen. Charles Grassley, the Iowa Republican on the Senate Banking Committee, over whether the pastors complied with IRS rules for nonprofit’s. The tax exempt non - profits are not allowed to spend funds for non - religious purposes but Grassely has accused the pastors of dipping their hands in church funds to maintain lavish life styles, including luxury private jets and summer homes.

The Nigerian pastor include a prosperity preacher whose members include some serving and former heads of state and another with high profile government officials as members. He recently bought a personal jet. Senate sources said the probe was launched when members of their American branches petitioned the authorities over the use of church funds by the men of God.

The investigation may have claimed its first victim as the wife of televangelist Benny Hinn filed for divorce from the high-profile pastor, whose reputation as an advocate of prosperity gospel has attracted millions of followers and criticism from lawmakers and watchdog groups over his lavish lifestyle. Suzanne Hinn filed the papers in Orange County Florida Superior Court, citing irreconcilable differences, after more than 30 years of marriage.

The papers noted the two separated on January 26 and that Hinn has been living in Dana Point, a wealthy coastal community in southern Orange County. “Pastor Benny Hinn and his immediate family were shocked and saddened to learn of this news without any previous notice,” Benny Hinn Ministries said in a statement. “Although Pastor Hinn has faithfully endeavored to bring healing to their relationship, those efforts failed and were met with the petition for divorce that was filed without notice,” the statement said.

Hinn is one of the best known advocates of the prosperity gospel, which teaches that Christians who are right with God will be rewarded with wealth and health in this lifetime. His TV broadcasts on the Trinity Broadcast Network, a Pentecostal broadcasting juggernaut, and other TV networks are seen by millions of people around the world nearly everyday. He travels the globe in his ministry’s plane, named Dove One, holding events he calls “Miracle Crusades” that include spiritual healings.

Hinn has never fully publicly disclosed how he spends the money he raises, but his vast ministry is believed to be a multimillion-dollar operation. There was no mention of finances in the court filing, which listed three recent Southern California addresses for the family. Over the years, Hinn has been the target of intense criticism from fellow Christians and watchdog groups who call his teachings false and accuse him of raising money only to enrich himself.

How to Get Any Woman You Want. Click Here!
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by mekusxxx: 3:54am On Feb 22, 2010
We can safely guess who the two pastors are
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by olafolarin(m): 4:01am On Feb 22, 2010
mekusxxx:

We can safely guess who the two pastors are

Who are those 2 pastors?
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by mekusxxx: 4:08am On Feb 22, 2010
olafolarin:

Who are those 2 pastors?

''[b]The Nigerian pastor include [b]a prosperity preacher whose members include some serving and former heads of state and another with high profile government officials as members. He recently bought a personal jet. Senate sources said the probe was launched when members of their American branches petitioned the authorities over the use of church funds by the men of God. [/b] ''[/b]

Remind yourself who was alleged to have bought an airplane recently and who are the prosperity preachers.
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by Odunnu: 6:32am On Feb 22, 2010
Plz tell us who thse Preachrz are
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by Odunnu: 6:34am On Feb 22, 2010
Plz tell us who thse Preachrz are
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by Kenezi: 7:06am On Feb 22, 2010
The quicker TB Joshua and his ilk go to jail the better.
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by Bokoharam: 7:43am On Feb 22, 2010
Pastor Oyakhilome is a disciple of Benny Hinn; I pray it's not him

Anyway, by their fruits we shall know them. The holy spirit does not lie, neither does God. It shall reach Nigeria very soon. Soon the tares shall be separated from the wheat.

The gates of hell, greed and mammon shall not prevail over the Church of Christ. Amen!
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by hardywaltz(m): 8:48am On Feb 22, 2010
Wonder who this mysterious pastors are?
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by mbulela: 9:04am On Feb 22, 2010
Bokoharam:

Pastor Oyakhilome is a disciple of Benny Hinn; I pray it's not him

Anyway, by their fruits we shall know them. The holy spirit does not lie, neither does God. It shall reach Nigeria very soon. Soon the tares shall be separated from the wheat.

The gates of hell, greed and mammon shall not prevail over the Church of Christ. Amen!

Amen to the bold part.
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by hugooh42(m): 10:19am On Feb 22, 2010
"Pastor Oyakhilome is a disciple of Benny Hinn; I pray it's not him"
who told you pastor Chris Oyakhilome is a disciple of Pastor Benny Hinn? And who also told you Oyakhilome lives in United states. Stop making unfounded and malicious insinuations.
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by otokx(m): 10:37am On Feb 22, 2010
There is no Nigerian pastor in that right up.
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by DOAweb(m): 12:19pm On Feb 22, 2010
sad So called pastors of our time cannot live like Jesus Christ the Almighty - the richest man to live on the earth yet lived as a humble carpenter.

All they do is flash flash with the money they squeeze out of the members in the form of tithes and offerings.

Not rocket science why they keep shouting about paying tithes every chance they get.

Wolves in sheep clothings, that's what the bible call them.

GOD help us.
sad
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by redsun(m): 2:24pm On Feb 22, 2010
Adeboye of course,he has wide pilfering network in america.As advanced as america is supposedly,people are still very highly deluded,especially among the africans,spanish and african american populations.

One thing very common among religious people is selfishness,it is their selfish drive that makes them want to go to heaven when they are dead.
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by TheLight2: 4:18pm On Feb 22, 2010
Kenezi:

FYI: TB Joshua is not aprosperity preache; the whole world knows this. He is in a very rare and extinct class of preacher who would by referred to as Givers and blessers.

The record speaks for itself, and prosperity and time will be the judge.
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by jamesyins(m): 4:24pm On Feb 22, 2010
There is no point the names are mention, I can name one for sure. If this are true, then its a SHAME Nigerians are just pushed into digger mud.
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by pmartins: 4:36pm On Feb 22, 2010
Kenezi:

. Sometime l laugh when some people make comment on naira land, is like they don't understand what they are reading because is like they are changing it to their own understanding. l don't know where they saw Nigerian pastors inside the post. They are only blaspheming by calling the name of T.B Joshua and Oyakhilome. This people don’t fall on this category of this post, so change your subject.
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by benjax2002: 5:21pm On Feb 22, 2010
Kenezi:

I wonder what you are trying to say, They never mentioned any name, TB Joshua is a cheerful giver and not a prosperity preacher,
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by Medlabgirl: 7:35pm On Feb 22, 2010
I wish people would do their homework before they start making spurious allegations. This story was published in 2007 and had nothing to do with Nigeria! Its disgusting just how anything goes in Nigeria. The Sun newspaper just dug up some dinosaur bones and tried to flesh them out to make money. Sick! No wonder the Chagouris and the Bhojwanis live in Nigeria. You can get away with anything there! Sick! Sick and sad!!

http://geoconger./2007/11/18/senate-panel-probes-top-us-evangelists-cen-111607-p-6/
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by benjax2002: 7:49pm On Feb 22, 2010
Medlabgirl:

I wish people would do their homework before they start making spurious allegations. This story was published in 2007 and had nothing to do with Nigeria! Its disgusting just how anything goes in Nigeria. The Sun newspaper just dug up some dinosaur bones and tried to flesh them out to make money. Sick! No wonder the Chagouris and the Bhojwanis live in Nigeria. You can get away with anything there! Sick! Sick and sad!!

http://geoconger./2007/11/18/senate-panel-probes-top-us-evangelists-cen-111607-p-6/

@Medlagirl
Thanks for the link, People go around spoiling the country's (Nigeria) image, I hope critics see the link and stop criticising
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by KennyG(m): 8:29pm On Feb 22, 2010
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by sammytb(m): 12:24pm On Feb 23, 2010
another false prophets or wat,
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by ec3l(m): 12:38pm On Feb 23, 2010
No wonder ur username is kenny g.
Some peeps here in Nl sef. All these guys wey dey even call pastor Chris and pro T.B, what if these two are of God, am sure u know that ur indirectly blaspheming against the holy spirit. Remember that means no forgiveness for u, na highway to hell u dey take so. Be careful oh.
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by Richtronix(m): 1:04pm On Feb 23, 2010
How can it be blasphemy if youre not calling the name of GOD (Jesus) in vain?

Just a question.
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by iyerim: 1:16pm On Feb 23, 2010
TB Joshua is not a prosperity preacher.He is the only man of God i have seen that gives selflessly to the pple ie without asking the congregation for extra offering inorder to assist the  needy
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by lafile(m): 1:18pm On Feb 23, 2010
I am skeptical about the authenticity of this story.

Senator Charles Grassley and The United States Senate Committee on Finance carried out an investigation in Nov 2007 into six top christian non-profit organization headed by popular televangelists. They are Kenneth Copeland, Creflo Dollar, Benny Hinn, Paula White, Joyce Meyer and Eddie Long. No Nigerian Pastor was involved in the investigation. And there is no hint from Sen. Grassley's website that any further investigation was being carried out. The investigation began in 2005 and 148 'televangelists' where looked into, and only these six required request for further information.

Sen Grassley has gone ahead to investigate financial impropriety in medical research after concluding the 'televangelist' investigation with no indictment.

If anybody has any further information they should please let us know.
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by Medlabgirl: 1:36pm On Feb 23, 2010
KennyG:

This appears to be recent news.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/newsonthehour/2010/feb/22/newsbreak-22-02-2010-001.htm

KennyG surely you could have thought of a more original name rather than plagiarising that of the musician we all know too well.I bet you couldn't I.D a saxophone if it walked up to you and introduced itself. Open your eyes! I gave you the link per the original story; I even went as far as to talk about The Sun newspaper fleshing out old dinosaur bones, but I guess that one went right over your head (smirk!), yet you still think it is recent news. Na wa for you!

Oh and while I'm at it, @lafile; Stop trying to sound smart. You read my post already and are now trying to act as if you had all the 411 long time. You just try take over the whole old story angle. Na wa for you too!
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by MKAN: 1:40pm On Feb 23, 2010
The reporter is just trying to do his job - combine different reports,

both old and new to make one.

another link
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100219/ap_on_en_tv/us_televangelist_divorce
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by lafile(m): 1:55pm On Feb 23, 2010
@ Medlabgirl
What good is it to me if i try to sound smart on the internet? I'm faceless! Surely nobody's gon give me a pat on the back for writing.

I didn't read the page up to your post. just saw the original post and a few of the following posts and got angry that people just swallow all this stuff without even bothering to verify it even though they have google as their home page. Sorry if my post drove you nuts - I wasn't trying to steal your shine. But i gues its for the best if the facts are reiterated more than once. ciao.
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by SuRiUno: 2:01pm On Feb 23, 2010
@MedLabGirl, Na wa for you o, why are you unnecessarily verbally attacking people at random, first it was KennyG, then you started on Lafile, which one you dey, I guess it's been a while since a man gave you a really good screw, you need it, it will calm you down,
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by Onyegbule1212: 2:10pm On Feb 23, 2010
Hinn has never fully publicly disclosed how he spends the money he raises, but his vast ministry is believed to be a multimillion-dollar operation. There was no mention of finances in the court filing, which listed three recent Southern California addresses for the family. Over the years, Hinn has been the target of intense criticism from fellow Christians and watchdog groups who call his teachings false and accuse him of raising money only to enrich himself.

So if?
Re: Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors by Odunnu: 2:11pm On Feb 23, 2010
Big upz Lafile.No mind all these gbegboruns,radio witout wire!
I trip 4ur comportment ojare.
***oya take hi5 ojare**
quit starin at d screen,take 5!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Amaechi Or Jang: Whom Would You Have Voted For? / Hon Gbajabiamila Is The New Majority Leader / Update On Bokoharam Fresh Attack In Enugu Which Biafran Youths Retaliated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.