Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,783 members, 7,813,586 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:32 PM

The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis (2905 Views)

Enugu State Government Commences Fixing Of Potholes, Traffic Lights / Gov. Ugwuanyi Directs Fixing Of Potholes, Traffic Lights, Asphalting (Pic) / Ambode Spent N12bn To Power Street Lights In One Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by lacasera14(m): 1:42pm On Aug 30, 2017
One of the most glaring facelifts around the city of Port Harcourt in this incumbent administration is the return or rather the resurgence of the once dead traffic lights. Others are the construction of a scenic Pleasure Park and remodeling of the G.R.A junction bus stop and garden.

Although I’m on the other side of the political divide and a major critic, I appreciate good things whenever I set my eyes on them and even feel butterflies in my stomach. I laud reformation processes irrespective of who does it, provided it restores the glory of this city I hold so dear in my heart.

The essence of traffic lights in any metropolis cannot be over emphasized. It’s an emblem of civilization on its own and forces everyone plying its route to exhibit utmost decorum and civility. For years I watched as the dysfunctional traffic lights adorn the expressways and decorated them. Traffic gridlocks thrived in its state of comatose, vehicles blared horns and lay wait at the mercy of traffic wardens whereas civilization and technology has provided an option but sheer neglect by authorities’ responsible forced road users to languish in untold gridlocks. For a very busy route like the Port Harcourt-Aba express way, one can only imagine the misery commuters experience daily owing to a non functional basic digital feature of any modern city in the 21st century.

Having been away for about 16months prior to the coming on board of the present administration, I returned to this great city and was overjoyed by the new look it bore. The traffic lights, really? “They are working?” It was unbelievable. Right there in the vehicle as I watched other commuters kowtow to the instructions from the traffic lights I felt so civilized even as my vehicle followed suit. I heaved a deep sigh of relief, knowing that this will up the ranks of the city and save us the awkward jams of rush hours.
The defunct traffic lights were abandoned for so long that they got lost in oblivion, many were nascent of their existence and had already adapted to the life without them. The rebirth was a shocker to many, I’m not an exception. It received reactions like “really? So this existed?” “Hello!! Big brother? Nice to have you back”. “oh, I see. Who woke you guys up?” while some were simply dumbfounded but whichever is the case of diverse reactions from residents, it’s really a right move and a major infrastructural comeback.
I have one grave concern; the lack of maintenance culture in this clime of ours. Sooner or later, this bringer of joy will deteriorate and will be left to rot in reckless abandon, dragging us ten steps backward into the Dark Age we just left except maybe the Government decides to shock the entire citizenry and imbibe a caring habit for its project that are commendable. Well, if the surprise never shows up, we’ll just try to enjoy our new joy while it lasts and pray it stays with us longer.

Ekwe Obedience
Port Harcourt, Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by lacasera14(m): 4:43pm On Aug 30, 2017
Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by Nobody: 9:03pm On Aug 30, 2017
That's if they won't go the way of Odili's administration.
Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by betterABIAstate: 9:07pm On Aug 30, 2017
In Enugu, traffic light has been situated at almost all junctions since time immemorial

5 Likes

Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by Spiff20(m): 11:05pm On Aug 30, 2017
There's even an aide for traffic light
Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by Spiff20(m): 11:06pm On Aug 30, 2017
betterABIAstate:
In Enugu, traffic light has been situated at almost all junctions since time immemorial
and have been working since time immemorial?

2 Likes

Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by lacasera14(m): 11:41pm On Aug 30, 2017
Ekinematics:
That's if they won't go the way of Odili's administration.
how?
Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by pazienza(m): 12:52am On Aug 31, 2017
betterABIAstate:

True.

5 Likes

Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by Nobody: 6:23am On Aug 31, 2017
lacasera14:
how?

During Odili's tenure he installed traffic lights all over ph even on streets. But as time went they all disappeared.
Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by Nobody: 6:27am On Aug 31, 2017
betterABIAstate:

The op said the return of traffic light.
He never said there has never been traffic light in PH.

1 Like

Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by Ttipsy(f): 7:51am On Aug 31, 2017
Ekinematics:

The op said the return of traffic light.
He never said there has never been traffic light in PH.
why should a city like PH lact traffic light, return that means it's has not been working

4 Likes

Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by slimfit1(m): 7:53am On Aug 31, 2017
No picture despite oyinbo people installing camera on phones.
Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by Nobody: 7:58am On Aug 31, 2017
Spiff20:
and have been working since time immemorial?

Yes. Enugu has the best functional traffic light system in Nigeria. Better than Abuja and Lagos

4 Likes

Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by Nobody: 8:53am On Aug 31, 2017
Ttipsy:
why should a city like PH lact traffic light, return that means it's has not been working

Yes. It's a shame that continuity and maintenance is a disease of Nigeria and Rivers State in particular.
Odili installed traffic lights in all major roads and streets of PH during his 1st tenure(which was 1999-2003).
But they were allowed to decay and become dormant as the years goes by.
Amaechi(the glorified transport minister) never thought of traffic light to be important and never cared if there's any working in PH or not.
Today Wike is bringing them back.
Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by Nobody: 8:58am On Aug 31, 2017
slimfit1:
No picture despite oyinbo people installing camera on phones.

Not everything must be picturised.
If you wanna remain in your state of doubt, come to PH and see for yourself.
Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by betterABIAstate: 10:13am On Aug 31, 2017
Ekinematics:

During Odili's tenure he installed traffic lights all over ph even on streets. But as time went they all disappeared.
its really a shame for a city like pH to lack traffic lights since the era of odili, it speaks volume about the infrastural decay there
Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by lacasera14(m): 10:50am On Aug 31, 2017
betterABIAstate:
its really a shame for a city like pH to lack traffic lights since the era of odili, it speaks volume about the infrastural decay there
it's no longer a shame.
Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by Nobody: 11:02am On Aug 31, 2017
betterABIAstate:

Sometimes it has to do with the culture of the society. For example, an Enugu resident will see a broken, damaged or non-functional street light, and take it upon him or herself to call the agency responsible for fixing it. Some Enugu residents will even go to the city office to complain, even shout or fight if need be to get it fix. I doubt if people in Port Harcourt and other Nigerian cities care for their infrastructure like Enugu residents do. Again, I'm not from Enugu, but I have lived there and several other cities including Abuja, Lagos and Kaduna. I'd tell you this, I have never seen Nigerians so passionate and involved with state's infrastructure as I saw in Enugu. There is a reason why it's called "042" meaning Enugu is not a mere city but a "Way of Life" that's... "CULTURE"

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by Eastside046: 11:17am On Aug 31, 2017
u guys love to compare why..

why de mention of Enugu now

Port-Harcourt is too big for comparison
Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by Nobody: 11:36am On Aug 31, 2017
Eastside046:

Don't mind all these ibo bigots.
Comparing a tin tin bird to an eagle grin
Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by Marcelo290(m): 11:42am On Aug 31, 2017
lionjungle3000:

Sometimes it has to do with the culture of the society. For example, an Enugu resident will see a broken, damaged or non-functional street light, and take it upon him or herself to call the agency responsible for fixing it. Some Enugu residents will even go to the city office to complain, even shout or fight if need be to get it fix. I doubt if people in Port Harcourt and other Nigerian cities care for their infrastructure like Enugu residents do. Again, I'm not from Enugu, but I have lived there and several other cities including Abuja, Lagos and Kaduna. I'd tell you this, I have never seen Nigerians so passionate and involved with state's infrastructure as I saw in Enugu. There is a reason why it's called "042" meaning Enugu is not a mere city but a "Way of Life" that's... "CULTURE"
You took the words out of my mouth, I just love that city called Enugu...

1 Like

Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by toolovely(m): 11:49am On Aug 31, 2017
i was really surprised that such infrastructure was non existence in port harcourt despite the status as a "city".

Now, the new road being constructed are overloaded with roundabout when other bigger cities are moving away from the era of roundabouts to erecting traffic lights.

see the beautiful environment at gra junction and compare that to all the junctions with roundabouts.

i am really disappointed with the rivers government with those roundabouts at the ongoing transamadi road.
that road would have been world class if they had jettisoned those old school roundabouts.
Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by slimfit1(m): 12:40pm On Aug 31, 2017
Ekinematics:

Not everything must be picturised.
If you wanna remain in your state of doubt, come to PH and see for yourself.

Madness don't you think
Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by lacasera14(m): 10:00pm On Aug 31, 2017
slimfit1:

Madness don't you think
Baba got it fixed just reload the thread before you start fighting.
Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by lacasera14(m): 10:06pm On Aug 31, 2017
Eastside046:

I couldn't help but notice. You can't name 5 major cities
in Nigeria and leave out Port Harcourt. The relevance of the city to Nigeria can't be over emphasized and yet this igbos will always want to compare. I give up.
Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by Ogbuefi2020: 12:50am On Sep 01, 2017
Lol, people are hurt, PH is shithole, even their bus stops are not modern like that of Enugu, and no city buses like Enugu, no private universites. Enugu is the HQ of East coast Naija hip hop to the extent that PH firstson was made in Enugu, Nollywood nko, it has place in PH
Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by Ogbuefi2020: 12:55am On Sep 01, 2017
lacasera14:
in Nigeria and leave out Port Harcourt. The relevance of the city to Nigeria can't be over emphasized and yet this igbos will always want to compare. I give up.
Apart from oil, there is totally nothing else coming out of PH
Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by Ogbuefi2020: 1:01am On Sep 01, 2017
Ekinematics:

Don't mind all these ibo bigots.
Comparing a tin tin bird to an eagle grin
Its a shame that the eagle lack what the thin bird has in abundance, thats the point we are making

1 Like

Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by Ogbuefi2020: 1:07am On Sep 01, 2017
Eastside046:

what is "big" about PH. and why do you feel threatened at the mention of Enugu?

1 Like

Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by lacasera14(m): 2:15am On Sep 01, 2017
Ogbuefi2020:

Apart from oil, there is totally nothing else coming out of PH
do you have facts to back your claim? pls deal with it, Ph is not comparable.
Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by Amarabae(f): 2:19am On Sep 01, 2017
lacasera14:
be quiet boy, just found out that you are ikwerre,so am not suprised,
Enugu is a better planned city than that rowdy and unorganised portharcourt,
even in beauty, Enugu has more appeal than portharcourt,
Nollywood movies are being shut regularly in Enugu city, can you say that about ph,
even owerri is more appealing to the eyes than portharcourt,
so travel out more

4 Likes

Re: The Return Of Traffic Lights In Port Harcourt Metropolis by lacasera14(m): 2:30am On Sep 01, 2017
Amarabae:
be quiet boy, just found out that you are ikwerre,so am not suprised,
Enugu is a better planned city than that rowdy and unorganised portharcourt,
even in beauty, Enugu has more appeal than portharcourt,
Nollywood movies are being shut regularly in Enugu city, can you say that about ph,
even owerri is more appealing to the eyes than portharcourt,
so travel out more
if you bigoted e-igbos think I'll argue with you on this again, I'm sorry I won't grant that satisfaction. I know what's obtainable even in the international community, I've been to both cities, I have my convictions, rant all you can, nothing will change that. I recognize you from my other thread, you're a blinded sentimental bigot. pls clear.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Apc Sharing #10,000 Each In Osogbo (pics) / Ndigbo, Let Us Think. / BREAKING NEWS: APC To Form Interim Government If Atiku Wins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.