Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,071 members, 7,818,200 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:10 AM

What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? (57890 Views)

Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) / What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? / What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Sep 03, 2017
staand:

I tire for you dude, though I can't bring myself to stop liking you sad
grincheesy

But what I said is the truth na. grin

I like you, and you like me. Why not leave that your king let's marry. I will take care of you. grin

Staand, will you please marry me?

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by jamybaly(f): 8:12pm On Sep 03, 2017
:DJust one question: Which one among the two classes of B.sc must you have in Nigeria so as not to stay at home for too long searching for work....
As in, is it B.sc degree or B.sc(hons) degree ?
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by jamybaly(f): 8:16pm On Sep 03, 2017
I'm sorry, it is in my gene; just finding it difficult to mind my business, so don't beat me because you might be infected.
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by oglalasioux(m): 1:00am On Sep 04, 2017
EkoAcademy:

Haaaaa! shocked Error angry

From which angle? The poster is right. Don't embarrass yourself.
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Nobody: 5:59am On Sep 04, 2017
oglalasioux:

From which angle? The poster is right. Don't embarrass yourself.

Ok sir. grin
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by bamasite(m): 7:40am On Sep 04, 2017
is ok

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by YelloweWest: 7:42am On Sep 04, 2017
I see me thinking bsc hons was first 2.1 and first class...

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Dcholeric: 7:43am On Sep 04, 2017
KingsJohnson:

Story
na your own worst pass... just dey quote people wey get something to say with your rubbish post... if you know it why not explain rather bash others...

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by JoshB92: 7:45am On Sep 04, 2017
LastMumu:

You can only add the 'Hons' to your degree if you were a honorable in your school and the election that got you into that position wasn't rigged. Anything anyone else is writing aside what I just wrote is complete rubbish! angry

lol....
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by melejo(m): 7:46am On Sep 04, 2017
mikeayus:
U get hons when u finish ur program in the normal number of years. e.g finish a 4 years course in 4 years....whereas u get just a b.sc when u spend more than 4 years for a 4 years course

I don't blame you, I only blame the children liking the trash you typed above. I don't know when it became compulsory to comment on every topic even the one you lack the slightest clue. Op in Nigeria there is no different. But in some countries where we borrowed the terminology from, there is slight different. Actually BSC hons may require extra one year, some times bsc hons takes like four year while bsc takes three years to complete. So in such countries, preference is normally given to to the bsc hons holder by employers. But in Nigeria such is not the case. You can see someone graduating from a particular depertment of a given university with bsc hons in a 4-year program and you still see another person graduating from the same course in the same 4 years from another university with bsc. Employers in Nigeria are not concerned with all that. We just borrowed the nomenclature without application
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by King4Roller: 7:48am On Sep 04, 2017
Fit2Rule:
Whether hons, horns, hoofs or claws, your are damned if you ain't got a skill. Forget all this degree nonsense and go acquire a skill. While those with hons or whateve 'd be searching for jobs, jobs 'd be searching for you.
Which kind of skill?
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by NoToPile: 7:49am On Sep 04, 2017
I really don't think its very applicable in naija but what I have observed they seem to do here is if you had an extra year or spill over as they call it, the "hons" will be missing from your Bsc certificate.

Until someone who had seen it told me I didn't believe.

In some other countries it seems a Bsc degree is 3 years that Bsc(hons) degree is 4 years .

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Unionised(m): 7:50am On Sep 04, 2017
YOLO1:
Need clarification about this please.

Let us speak the language we understand in Nigeria.

BSc hons is different from the ordinary degree because of only one thing.

NO CARRY OVERs!

Simples.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Balkan(m): 7:50am On Sep 04, 2017
Any degree from 2nd class to 1st class is regarded as hons.
3 Class to pass is just Bsc without hons.

Tha'ts is simple

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by LukeLook: 7:52am On Sep 04, 2017
The difference is that one degree is more confusing to employers than the other. tongue
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Jethrolite(m): 7:52am On Sep 04, 2017
YOLO1:
Need clarification about this please.
Part time students do not get (hons) too. Any course work done outside being a regular student does not attract it.
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Leo3333: 7:53am On Sep 04, 2017
mikeayus:
U get hons when u finish ur program in the normal number of years. e.g finish a 4 years course in 4 years....whereas u get just a b.sc when u spend more than 4 years for a 4 years course

Lies!
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Emotionless100: 7:54am On Sep 04, 2017
K
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by dedugba(m): 7:54am On Sep 04, 2017
Balkan:
Any degree from 2nd class to 1st class is regarded as hons.
3 Class to pass is just Bsc without hons.

Tha'ts is simple

are you sure of what you are saying or you are just guessing?
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by dedugba(m): 7:57am On Sep 04, 2017
1st Class 2.1 and 2.2 as well as 3rd class all have Hons attached. With any of these result you can proceed to the post graduate category but with a pass you cant plus it is without Hons
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Hexzyz(m): 7:58am On Sep 04, 2017
mikeayus:

I doubt this your claim.
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by 06013276dc(f): 8:02am On Sep 04, 2017
KunkAcid:
grin shocked grin

The B.Sc (Hons) degree is awarded when a course of study is completed within the maximum number of years allowed to study such a course in that particular university. Whereas, a student gets a B.Sc degree without honours when he completes his course of study outside the stipulated duration.

For instance, the minimum number of years required to study Engineering in any Nigerian University is 5yrs, and the maximum number of years is between 7-8yrs.

If a student completes his study within 5-8yrs, he gets B.Sc (Hons). But, if he does so after 8yrs, he gets B.Sc without the honours.

NB: This is how it is in Nigeria.

You have said it all...SMH for graduates who are opening their mouth to say Bsc is 3yrs... While Hons is 4years...in your dream school abi... Reasons they won't get job on time...wen you don't even know this,how will you know anything

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Brugo(m): 8:02am On Sep 04, 2017
melejo:
I don't blame you, I only blame the children liking the trash you typed above. I don't know when it became compulsory to comment on every topic even the one you lack the slightest clue

He is actually right considering that it is a Nigerian university.

You know, we don't have 3 year BSc in Nigeria. Here, "hons" is removed from the certificates of those with spill overs.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by 06013276dc(f): 8:03am On Sep 04, 2017
Unionised:

Let us speak the language we understand in Nigeria.

BSc hons is different from the ordinary degree because of only one thing.

NO CARRY OVERs!

Simples.

God bless you...
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by LolaCole1(f): 8:05am On Sep 04, 2017
Somebody that went to school shocked shocked lipsrsealed what a shame

striker07:
In nigeria first class,second class and third class degree has Hons but pass degree doesnt have.thats is difference,it is a big lie that your result will not have hons if you spilled over.
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by kenechi072: 8:06am On Sep 04, 2017
mmm

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by LolaCole1(f): 8:06am On Sep 04, 2017
Best answer!

KunkAcid:
grin shocked grin

The B.Sc (Hons) degree is awarded when a course of study is completed within the maximum number of years allowed to study such a course in that particular university. Whereas, a student gets a B.Sc degree without honours when he completes his course of study outside the stipulated duration.

For instance, the minimum number of years required to study Engineering in any Nigerian University is 5yrs, and the maximum number of years is between 7-8yrs.

If a student completes his study within 5-8yrs, he gets B.Sc (Hons). But, if he does so after 8yrs, he gets B.Sc without the honours.

NB: This is how it is in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by 06013276dc(f): 8:06am On Sep 04, 2017
melejo:
I don't blame you, I only blame the children liking the trash you typed above. I don't know when it became compulsory to comment on every topic even the one you lack the slightest clue. Op in Nigeria there is no different. But in some countries where we borrowed the terminology from, there is slight different. Actually BSC hons may require extra one year, some times bsc hons takes like four year while bsc takes three years to complete. So in such countries, preference is normally given to to the bsc hons holder by employers. But in Nigeria such is not the case. You can see someone graduating from a particular depertment of a given university with bsc hons in a 4-year program and you still see another person graduating from the same course in the same 4 years from another university with bsc. Employers in Nigeria are not concerned with all that. We just borrowed the nomenclature without application

And who should we blame for this bullshit you have come to serve them here...uncle,go back to your distance learning school and ask your VC.... You need to take a year extra to even know what Bsc means...olodo oshi...otun n shey ITK... Mtcheeww
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by LolaCole1(f): 8:07am On Sep 04, 2017
What school please??
kenechi072:
I think most of you are getting it wrong. In Nigeria, third class and above is a honours degree. Anything below that isn't. It has nothing to do with number of years because I spent 6 years for a 4 year course and I have an honours degree.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

IMT Student And His "Customised Vehicle" Storm School In Enugu. Photos / 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. / See Why Male Students Don't Pay Attention In School (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.