Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,199 members, 7,818,666 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:17 PM

What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? (57898 Views)

Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) / What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? / What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by troubleseller: 8:10am On Sep 04, 2017
What a lecturer told me was, Hons graduated after spending the normal number of years. B. Sc without the Hons means you spilled over. But sometimes if you know your way you can spill and still graduate with Hons. But wait oo una sure say some people go university at all?

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by RexEmmyGee: 8:10am On Sep 04, 2017
mikeayus:
U get hons when u finish ur program in the normal number of years. e.g finish a 4 years course in 4 years....whereas u get just a b.sc when u spend more than 4 years for a 4 years course

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by 06013276dc(f): 8:11am On Sep 04, 2017
LolaCole1:
What school please??

Definitely schools with zero IT... All their results are in black and white... There,they find it difficult to separate extra years from students who graduate on time....

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Nobody: 8:12am On Sep 04, 2017
LastMumu:

But what I said is the truth na. grin

I like you, and you like me. Why not leave that your king let's marry. I will take care of you. grin

Staand, will you please marry me?

You will have to show me the hammer-head undecided
Yes, I will marry you smiley
Have you gotten your suit and ring or should I buy them?
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Eagles92(m): 8:14am On Sep 04, 2017
LastMumu:

You can only add the 'Hons' to your degree if you were a honorable in your school and the election that got you into that position wasn't rigged. Anything anyone else is writing aside what I just wrote is complete rubbish! angry

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by LolaCole1(f): 8:15am On Sep 04, 2017
cheesy cheesy you know this
06013276dc:

Definitely schools with zero IT... All their results are in black and white... There,they find it difficult to separate extra years from students who graduate on time....
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by pooozeee(m): 8:17am On Sep 04, 2017
LastMumu:

You can only add the 'Hons' to your degree if you were a honorable in your school and the election that got you into that position wasn't rigged. Anything anyone else is writing aside what I just wrote is complete rubbish! angry

Lastmumu wat are u saying ? U av bin programmed to speak like a politician
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Mantonnel(m): 8:19am On Sep 04, 2017
Pls just ask Google and stop letting dis guys here confuse ur confusion
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by DBANJEX(m): 8:22am On Sep 04, 2017
LolaCole1:
What school please??
but u didn't spill over, did u?
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by yim(f): 8:23am On Sep 04, 2017
Honours: without extra year or finish in the normal course of time
Without Honours: outside the prescribed duration.
This is applicable to Nigeria as we don't offer 3 years Bsc courses.
Simple

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by sirsamzy: 8:24am On Sep 04, 2017
wizalpha:
the difference is that...HND is their senior brother
.. u mumu well well
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by mykel25(m): 8:25am On Sep 04, 2017
First class upper division give you (HONS) hons means honour

FIRST CLASS HONOUR
SECOND CLASS HONOUR (upper division)
SECOND CLASS HONOUR (lower division)
THIRD CLASS
PASS
FAIL
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Sike(m): 8:25am On Sep 04, 2017
Amossity:
when a student didnt spill over, hon will b added to his/her bsc bt if he/she spill over due to some carry ova courses, then no more honor, onli bsc..
Hahahaha... Why U Pple like this now cheesy
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Nobody: 8:39am On Sep 04, 2017
mikeayus:
U get hons when u finish ur program in the normal number of years. e.g finish a 4 years course in 4 years....whereas u get just a b.sc when u spend more than 4 years for a 4 years course

is it by having lot of carry overs?
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Nobody: 8:40am On Sep 04, 2017
I don't like why people write what they know nothing about, I thought I would get the answer by scrolling through all the massages but I was seriously disappointed!
To be honest, the answer is simple.
If you want (hons) before your degree, if you are a lady just remain virgin till you graduate and you have to show evidence. And in case you are a man, do not have more than 5 girl friends and also remain virgin till u also graduate. Finish!.... For more words of wisdom, I dey for you

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Saintabdul(m): 8:43am On Sep 04, 2017
But i was thinking ooo...... B.sc (Hon) is he a local government councillor
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Boboye12: 8:46am On Sep 04, 2017
The difference lies in the number of years spent acquire the degree bt my questions is what of a situation where u spent 5yrs in engineering n u failed a course that was later rectified, n as a curse of dat u u missed d graduating wit ur mates n also u didn't sit for any exam dat u fail ie no writing of carryover course, n payment of school fees n yet there's still no Hons in ur statement of result. Why is it so? and what can be done. Pls I need help
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Jesusgirl92(f): 8:46am On Sep 04, 2017
striker07:
In nigeria first class,second class and third class degree has Hons but pass degree doesnt have.thats is difference,it is a big lie that your result will not have hons if you spilled over.
I have a friend(coursemate) who finished with a 2" 1 without honours because he didn't finish within the stipulated period (he had an extra year)..

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by KingsJohnson(m): 8:47am On Sep 04, 2017
Dcholeric:

na your own worst pass...
just dey quote people wey get something to say with your rubbish post...
if you know it why not explain rather bash others...

Lol! omo see painment of lyf. Dude next tym if u dnt knw or hv knowledge of an issue at hand, it will be beta for u to kip silent n be thought a fool Dan open up n clear all doubt.

Common sense is not common brodaly
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by nelsont1: 8:47am On Sep 04, 2017
You are so correct. In South Africa, postgraduate study starts at honours level after your normal Bsc, Bed, Beng, Bcom or whatever degree.
hysteresis:
1. One cannot find much difference between a Bachelors of Science degree and Bachelors of Science (Hons) degree.

2. Three years are needed to complete a Bsc degree, and four years for the completion of a Bsc (Hons) degree.

3. The Bachelor of Science (Hons) degree is considered to be superior to the Bachelor of Science degree.

4. The Bsc (Hons) is considered to be, academically, more standard than the ordinary Bsc degree.

5. A student will have to write a dissertation for the completion of a Bsc (Hons) degree. On the other hand, this is not mandatory for a Bsc degree.

6. A Bsc degree is easier to obtain than a Bsc (Hons) degree.
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by nelsont1: 8:49am On Sep 04, 2017
Delete this comment please. It's nonsense.
mikeayus:

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Badmusbahcube(m): 8:52am On Sep 04, 2017
LastMumu:

There's not much to say after looking at your name

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Pathfinder121: 8:52am On Sep 04, 2017
B.Sc degree is simply B.Sc ( Ordinary) degree at level 7 and usually completed within 3 years with lesser credit/ course work and without requirement for Thesis/dissertation according to Irish/European standard certification grade. A one year add-on is required for Hons degree and most masters programme.

WHILE

B.Sc (Hons) is completed in 4 years with final dissertation and more credits/course work at level 8.

Please peruse the image and link as follows for further context. http://www.nfq-qqi.com

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Kendrick80(m): 8:52am On Sep 04, 2017
kenechi072:
I think most of you are getting it wrong. In Nigeria, third class and above is a honours degree. Anything below that isn't. It has nothing to do with number of years because I spent 6 years for a 4 year course and I have an honours degree.
I also had 2 carry ova courses and still have Hons on ma certificate

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Nobody: 9:01am On Sep 04, 2017
In simple words Hons is little bit more subject oriented than plain bsc.
This applies to all subject weather arts, science and commerce and hence an Hons degree is more sought out for.
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Malawian(m): 9:01am On Sep 04, 2017
mikeayus:

Not correct bro, I got Hons but also had an extra year.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Nobody: 9:03am On Sep 04, 2017
mikeayus:

Absolutely correct
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Nobody: 9:04am On Sep 04, 2017
Malawian:

Not correct bro, I got Hons but also had an extra year.

Which sch
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Nobody: 9:04am On Sep 04, 2017
Esepayan:
In simple words Hons is little bit more subject oriented than plain bsc.
This applies to all subject weather arts, science and commerce and hence an Hons degree is more sought out for.

chisos
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Malawian(m): 9:09am On Sep 04, 2017
Aprilivangie:

Which sch
AAU Ekpoma.
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by teens(m): 9:13am On Sep 04, 2017
[quote author=mikeayus post=60072756]U get hons when u finish ur program in the normal number of years. e.g finish a 4 years course in 4 years....whereas u get just a b.sc when u spend more than 4 years for a 4 years course
OLODO LIKE YOU MUST YOU COMMENTS ......
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by aaamos(m): 9:15am On Sep 04, 2017
wizalpha:
the difference is that...HND is their senior brother

Well-done sir

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. / See Why Male Students Don't Pay Attention In School (photo) / NDA Kaduna Expels Cadets For Indiscipline

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.