Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,154 members, 7,818,492 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:15 PM

What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? (57894 Views)

Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) / What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? / What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Sep 04, 2017
The difference is clear...

"Bsc(Hons)" is only for graduands who completed their studies without carryover while 'Bsc' is for graduands who got extra year because of carryover and must have probably gotten lots of carryover in their previous work.

In the same vein, "Bsc(Hons)" is also for exceptional students who graduated with excellent grades...One who graduated with pass might likely not get (hons).

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by eddie7: 3:58pm On Sep 04, 2017
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by ziggy1702(m): 4:25pm On Sep 04, 2017
LastMumu:

You can only add the 'Hons' to your degree if you were a honorable in your school and the election that got you into that position wasn't rigged. Anything anyone else is writing aside what I just wrote is complete rubbish! angry

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by BabaIbo: 5:26pm On Sep 04, 2017
RexEmmyGee:

Thanks for the enlightenment.

But do you think it is considered by employers?

I think so, I remember my H.O.D once told me it can be an advantage/edge cos most employers do consider it
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Ezi39: 5:51pm On Sep 04, 2017
OTAIFOHJ:
The difference is clear...

"Bsc(Hons)" is only for graduands who completed their studies without carryover while 'Bsc' is for graduands who got extra year because of carryover and must have probably gotten lots of carryover in their previous work.

In the same vein, "Bsc(Hons)" is also for exceptional students who graduated with excellent grades...One who graduated with pass might likely not get (hons).

You are misleading the public
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Sep 04, 2017
Ezi39:

You are misleading the public
You're so wrong!
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Sep 04, 2017
BabaIbo:

You are wrong please... Dont mislead them..

Hons is attached to your degree if you didnt have spill over but once you spill, you dont get hons

docjeph:

How heavy? in kilograms pls. I mean the weight.

Maybe you should do your research before thinking you have any clue. A Honours degree is clearly different from an ordinary degree and the difference is the course load. A honours degree program has its title clearly spelled out during application, especially for British universities, same thing applies to certain Nigerian degrees which is usually visibile in the UTME Brochure. Just so sad that despite the level of education in this country, a lot of people depend on recycled information and not what is genuine. Google is your friend oga and please do not quote me anymore. Thanks.
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by RexEmmyGee: 8:31pm On Sep 04, 2017
BabaIbo:

I think so, I remember my H.O.D once told me it can be an advantage/edge cos most employers do consider it
Thanks.
I don't think many graduate know this though
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Nobody: 9:46pm On Sep 04, 2017
bfire:

The difference is like this in Canada, atleast:

B.sc is 90 credits work load

B.sc (hons) is a 120 credits work load.

The years you used in completing the course load
has no relevance other than the number os credits
you completed

Simple!
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Nobody: 7:02am On Sep 05, 2017
Jesusgirl92:
I have a friend(coursemate) who finished with a 2" 1 without honours because he didn't finish within the stipulated period (he had an extra year)..
Jesus' girl were u born in 1992?
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by BabaIbo: 8:06am On Sep 06, 2017
EkoAcademy:

Maybe you should do your research before thinking you have any clue. A Honours degree is clearly different from an ordinary degree and the difference is the course load. A honours degree program has its title clearly spelled out during application, especially for British universities, same thing applies to certain Nigerian degrees which is usually visibile in the UTME Brochure. Just so sad that despite the level of education in this country, a lot of people depend on recycled information and not what is genuine. Google is your friend oga and please do not quote me anymore. Thanks.

you're just convincing yourself. ..

listen to yourself does your words make sense... in the same department some people will do some course and some won't do it especially when it's a compulsory/core course... my friend in every university there is a certain or definite course unit or point you must have to become a graduate... your performance or spill over determines Honors in degree... see that pic, that if from Google precisely Wikipedia

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Sep 06, 2017
BabaIbo:

you're just convincing yourself. ..

listen to yourself does your words make sense ... in the same department some people will do some course and some won't do it especially when it's a compulsory/core course... my friend in every university there is a certain or definite course unit or point you must have to become a graduate... your performance or spill over determines Honors in degree... see that pic, that if from Google precisely Wikipedia
First of all, your grammar is catastrophic. It's "do your words make sense?" and not "does your words". "Do" for plural nouns, "does" for singular nouns.
A secondary school leaver knows that, not to mention a "university graduate". Orishirishi graduates in Nigeria. grin

Last I checked, a honours degree and an ordinary bachelor's degree was the topic of debate here. Not the conditions under which Nigeria awards honours. There is a clear difference between both. Also, the person I corrected mentioned that a honour is only attached to your degree when you spend no more than four years (not based on grade) otherwise show us where that was mentioned in your Wikipedia text. By the way, anyone can edit facts on Wikipedia, it doesn't pass through thorough scrutiny. So in case you wanna support your argument further please add your point to the wiki article, who uses wikipedia as a valid reference anyways? undecided

There is such a thing as honours degree and a regular degree.The difference between both is the number of credits and the former usually carries more credits than the latter, quote me anywhere. You can stick to your opinion and Nigerian system, it's a free world.

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by BabaIbo: 8:27am On Sep 11, 2017
First of all, your grammar is catastrophic. It's "do your words make sense?" and not "does your words". "Do" for plural nouns, "does" for singular nouns.
A secondary school leaver knows that, not to mention a "university graduate". Orishirishi graduates in Nigeria. grin

Last I checked, a honours degree and an ordinary bachelor's degree was the topic of debate here. Not the conditions under which Nigeria awards honours. There is a clear difference between both. Also, the person I corrected mentioned that a honour[b/]*** is only attached to your degree when you spend no more than four years (not based on grade) otherwise show us where that was mentioned in your Wikipedia text. By the way, anyone can edit facts on Wikipedia, it doesn't pass through thorough scrutiny. So in case you wanna support your argument further please add your point to the wiki article, who uses wikipedia as a valid reference anyways? undecided

There is such a thing as honours degree and a regular degree.The difference between both is the number of credits and the former usually carries more credits than the latter, quote me anywhere. You can stick to your opinion and Nigerian system, it's a free world. [/quote]
[quote author=EkoAcademy post=60189155]

Firstly, I made a mistake which nobody is above but I want to put little knowledge into your brain. ..

There is nothing like a honour, it is an honours, or just honours...
That is why it is written as hons and not Hon in short form.

just because H is the first letter doesn't mean you will attach a* to it, it is an honours
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by BabaIbo: 8:29am On Sep 11, 2017
EkoAcademy:

Last I checked, a honours degree and an ordinary bachelor's degree was the topic of debate here. Not the conditions under which Nigeria awards honours. There is a clear difference between both. Also, the person I corrected mentioned that a honour is only attached to your degree when you spend no more than four years (not based on grade) otherwise show us where that was mentioned in your Wikipedia text. By the way, anyone can edit facts on Wikipedia, it doesn't pass through thorough scrutiny. So in case you wanna support your argument further please add your point to the wiki article, who uses wikipedia as a valid reference anyways? undecided

There is such a thing as honours degree and a regular degree.The difference between both is the number of credits and the former usually carries more credits than the latter, quote me anywhere. You can stick to your opinion and Nigerian system, it's a free world.

irstly, I made a mistake which nobody is above but I want to put little knowledge into your brain. ..
just because H is the first letter doesn't mean you will attach a* to it, it is an honours
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by BabaIbo: 8:30am On Sep 11, 2017
EkoAcademy:

Last I checked, a honours degree and an ordinary bachelor's degree was the topic of debate here. Not the conditions under which Nigeria awards honours. There is a clear difference between both. Also, the person I corrected mentioned that a*** honour is only attached to your degree when you spend no more than four years (not based on grade) otherwise show us where that was mentioned in your Wikipedia text. By the way, anyone can edit facts on Wikipedia, it doesn't pass through thorough scrutiny. So in case you wanna support your argument further please add your point to the wiki article, who uses wikipedia as a valid reference anyways? undecided

irstly, I made a mistake which nobody is above but I want to put little knowledge into your brain. ..
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by mbhs139(m): 8:36am On Sep 11, 2017
mikeayus:

U get hons when u finish ur program in the normal number of years. e.g finish a 4 years course in 4 years....whereas u get just a b.sc when u spend more than 4 years for a 4 years course

KingsJohnson:

Pls don't say wat you don't know

I was wondering o! I spent 6years, graudated with a 3rd class and my certificate from unilag reads, with "honours degree".

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

IMT Student And His "Customised Vehicle" Storm School In Enugu. Photos / 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. / See Why Male Students Don't Pay Attention In School (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.