Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,867 members, 7,813,957 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:45 PM

What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? (18078 Views)

Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes / The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith / What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by Hier(m): 3:31pm On Sep 03, 2017
Do not attach significance to any number oooo, All those who used those numbers were specifically commanded, faith comes by hearing, FOOL
Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by 132KVA: 3:35pm On Sep 03, 2017
pass mark 40%
Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by patomaniac: 3:35pm On Sep 03, 2017
Wow
Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by afdbodyline(m): 3:35pm On Sep 03, 2017
ok
Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by Nobody: 3:36pm On Sep 03, 2017
Op As a christian,I have one word for you. There is no BIG significance there. Just see the Old Testament where most of these "events" are recorded as a myth and you know what obtains in myths. If you want to know the origin of the OT,google the Enuma Elish and see. Read that part of the bible with SENSE.
Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by sheypian(m): 3:39pm On Sep 03, 2017
Jesus was not tempted 40days and 40nights o pls.....check your bible well! he fasted 40days and forty nights then he was tempted! smiley thank u.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by 9JATEMPEST: 3:41pm On Sep 03, 2017
Christ started his ministry 40 years before Jerusalem was destroyed in AD 70..

All the above mentioned fourty (40) was a shadow of the real fourth (40) which was a description of a Generation..

A generation is calculated within 40 years interval and as such all Christ said in Mathew 24 about the [color=#990000][/color]desolation is applicable to the jews alive in his days. Verse 34 of Matthew 24 says ( Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.)

This means the fulfillment of all prophecies with 40 years interval by Christ..

So all the fourty is gears towards AD70

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Sep 03, 2017
@Op let me cure your doubts once and for all: In Judaism certain numbers are considered sacred. Such numbers as 3,7,12 sometimes 10 and your dear 40. There,tell that to your OT-obssessed sunday school teacher next time she asks. Thank me later.
Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by tarryT(m): 3:44pm On Sep 03, 2017
Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by aminu790(m): 3:45pm On Sep 03, 2017
UnknownT:
A fool at 40
cheesy
Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Sep 03, 2017
@Op let me cure your doubts once and for all: In Judaism certain numbers are considered sacred/symbolic. Such numbers as 3,7,12 sometimes 10 and your dear 40. There,tell that to your OT-obssessed sunday school teacher next time she asks. Thank me later.
Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by danigbo(m): 3:50pm On Sep 03, 2017
The number 7 and 40 symbolises the fullness of time. !

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by Foz1: 3:51pm On Sep 03, 2017
How is this Bible Study?
40 days is not equal to 40 years.
The law itself was given by a man.
Can't you see you can hardly quote the epistles.
Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by iluvpomo(m): 3:52pm On Sep 03, 2017
One can post without restrictions here but try it here and you will be subject to "questions"
https://www.nairaland.com/4030090/man-says-he-found-allahs
Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by hysteriabox(m): 4:05pm On Sep 03, 2017
mattyboy007:
So I was in Sunday school this morning and a question was ask on the significance of 40 in the Bible and no one could give a vivid explanation.

Here are some examples of the Bible’s use of the number 40.

In the Old Testament, when God destroyed the
earth with water, He caused it to rain 40 days and 40 nights (Genesis 7:12). After Moses killed the Egyptian, he fled to Midian, where he spent 40 years in the desert tending flocks (Acts 7:30). Moses was on Mount Sinai for 40 days and 40 nights (Exodus 24:18). Moses interceded on Israel’s behalf for 40 days and 40 nights (Deuteronomy 9:18, 25). The Law specified a maximum number of lashes a man could receive for a crime, setting the limit at 40 (Deuteronomy 25:3). The Israelite spies took 40 days to spy out Canaan (Numbers 13:25). The Israelites wandered for 40 years (Deuteronomy 8:2-5). Before Samson’s deliverance, Israel served the Philistines for 40 years (Judges 13:1). Goliath taunted Saul’s army for 40 days before David arrived to slay him (1 Samuel 17:16). When Elijah fled from Jezebel, he traveled 40 days and 40 nights to Mt. Horeb (1 Kings 19:cool.

The number 40 also appears in the prophecies of Ezekiel (4:6; 29:11-13) and Jonah (3:4).

In the New Testament, Jesus was tempted for 40 days and 40 nights (Matthew 4:2). There were 40 days between Jesus’ resurrection and ascension (Acts 1:3)

Bible scholer in the house come and help out.

Hi.
I read your post with keen interest. The comments are also interesting. Numbers in scripture are delicate n should be intapreted carefully and diligently. From 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 12, 21, 40, 70, 120 then 666
40 IS THE NUMBER OF TRANSFER.
This transfer could be dispensational (Noah from the era of conscience to the era of promise, Israel from the era of promise to the era of law, jesus after resurrection, from d era of the law to the era of grace), authoritarian ( Goliath, from the spiritual authority of Saul to that of David, Moses, Israel from the spiritual authority of Pharaoh to that of Moses), climatic ( jesus in d wilderness, from Israel being covered by d prophetic cloud n message of John to being now covered by that of Christ), spiritual sufficiency (Elijah's trek of fear to that of faith), statutory ( the number of whip signifies from guilty to pardoned, death to life), e.tc
The next time your pastor calls for a 40 day event, please ask him "sir, what's the transfer so I can pray along".

Cc. folaniyi3

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by hysteriabox(m): 4:09pm On Sep 03, 2017
ranson:
The number 40 (days or years) signifies sufficient time for maturity and readiness to launch out.

Nahhh.
The number for outright manifestation is 30.
The number for seed sown unto full maturity is 77-as in seven, seven.
Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by Moneyyy: 4:11pm On Sep 03, 2017
mattyboy007:
So I was in Sunday school this morning and a question was ask on the significance of 40 in the Bible and no one could give a vivid explanation.

Here are some examples of the Bible’s use of the number 40.

In the Old Testament, when God destroyed the
earth with water, He caused it to rain 40 days and 40 nights (Genesis 7:12). After Moses killed the Egyptian, he fled to Midian, where he spent 40 years in the desert tending flocks (Acts 7:30). Moses was on Mount Sinai for 40 days and 40 nights (Exodus 24:18). Moses interceded on Israel’s behalf for 40 days and 40 nights (Deuteronomy 9:18, 25). The Law specified a maximum number of lashes a man could receive for a crime, setting the limit at 40 (Deuteronomy 25:3). The Israelite spies took 40 days to spy out Canaan (Numbers 13:25). The Israelites wandered for 40 years (Deuteronomy 8:2-5). Before Samson’s deliverance, Israel served the Philistines for 40 years (Judges 13:1). Goliath taunted Saul’s army for 40 days before David arrived to slay him (1 Samuel 17:16). When Elijah fled from Jezebel, he traveled 40 days and 40 nights to Mt. Horeb (1 Kings 19:cool.

The number 40 also appears in the prophecies of Ezekiel (4:6; 29:11-13) and Jonah (3:4).

In the New Testament, Jesus was tempted for 40 days and 40 nights (Matthew 4:2). There were 40 days between Jesus’ resurrection and ascension (Acts 1:3)

Bible scholer in the house come and help out.

Jesus fasted for 40days and 40nights
Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by Bluebrain101: 4:15pm On Sep 03, 2017
Jacob was 40 when he took Rebekha as wife Gen 25: 20
Esau was 40 when he took Judith as wife Gen 26 : 34
Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by dklex(m): 4:23pm On Sep 03, 2017
Vesuvius:

The number 40 is a watershed in divinity. In simple terms it means that it signifies a limit or turning point in a man's situation. That's why it usually shows up in remarkable situations in the Bible to portray that a limit has reached for the particular ordeal to change. YOU CAN CALL IT A TRANSITION POINT.

Bible is one book that portrays the importance of some numbers e.g. Numbers 7 signifies perfection, 6 signifies the number of man (man was created on the sixth day. Bible even said it when describing antichrist ala 666 in Revelations 13:18). Numbers 3, 12 etc also have various symbolisms in the Bible.

they call it pivot point in forex.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by MOSICATED5(m): 4:46pm On Sep 03, 2017
JESUS FASTED FOR 40 DAYS AND NIGHTS. OP WHAT DO U MEAN BY JESUS WAS TEMPTED FOR 40 DAYS. GOD DOESN'T WORK WITH MAN'S NUMBERING AS HIS WAYS ARE DIFFERENT THE 40 DAYS AND YEARS WRITE UP MAKES NO SENSE TO ME.
Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by mpeg(m): 5:07pm On Sep 03, 2017
David raign as a king for 40years, as well as Solomon raign for 40years also
Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by Dayoade92(m): 5:44pm On Sep 03, 2017
The story of five youths who decided to make a journey to a beautiful city where all things have been rumoured to be made with gold

BUT

Hades will lure
Heaven will implore
A path they will follow
To bliss or a dreadful hollow
A question here is begging
Where are they heading?

Find out in this short movie.

AN ODE TO DISTRACTION (Full video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66tUfC-k_iY

Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by ilevic(m): 6:29pm On Sep 03, 2017
No wonder the say "a fool at 40 is a fool forever" mayb cos 40 is a perfect no
Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by joinnow: 10:30pm On Sep 03, 2017
40 person wrote the bible shocked
Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by Nobody: 2:28am On Sep 04, 2017
otubulu2017:

How is this news?

Because I now know the significance of the number 40
Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by Nobody: 5:05am On Sep 04, 2017
Must be something to do with numerology
Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by lele007: 8:26am On Sep 04, 2017
Hello Op.

Firstly, if you have not been baptized in the Holy Ghost then I strongly advise against studying numerology in scripture,. only the Spirit can give you proper direction.

As to your question there is an answer. it is found in understanding the key significance of the numbers 4, and 10.

Key: on the 4th day, God created the (4) seasons of the earth.
Key: to punish Egypt, God sent 10 plagues upon them.

the commenter who said 40 signifies testing was not wrong , but it signifes more than just testing.

If you decide to study numbers in scriptures , you will get hooked on it, and wiser than evn Solomon. Without the Holy Spirit as your guide, you could lose your way, not seeing the forest for the trees, if you know what I mean. I wrote this to show you that you ARE on to something.

Jeremiah 33:3
Re: What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? by stevedre: 11:30am On Sep 04, 2017
Hier:
Do not attach significance to any number oooo, All those who used those numbers were specifically commanded, faith comes by hearing, FOOL

Did you just call some one a fool after all the Bible quotations on your profile ?? Hope that was a mistake and if its not you really need to read, understand and meditate on the Bible.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How I Listen To The Audio Bible (my Advice) / Luciferean Series I: Understanding Christianity / Hell Fire Is NOT Real! Don't Be Deceived By Any Pastors: BIBLE PROOFS INSIDE.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.