Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,865 members, 7,813,953 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:34 PM

Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes (16327 Views)

Daddy Freeze & Rev Fr Kelvin Ugwu Clash Over Easter Teaching / Father Kelvin Ugwu Speaks On #SilhouetteChallenge / Living Faith Creates USSD CODE To Facilitate Offerings And Tithes Online. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by Builderman(m): 6:13pm On Aug 31, 2019
Some years back, after a Sunday morning Mass in Abuja, a young and a good looking lady walked up to me. She was holding a fat brown envelope. She handed the envelope to me and said I should please pray for her.

I asked her about the content of the envelope and what particular intention would I be praying for?
She told me that she started working just a month ago and that she came to thank the Lord and to offer the first fruit of her work for God’s blessings.
What was in the envelope was her salary for that month. Her first salary. The entire money! Everything!.

In all honesty, I was speechless not for lack of words but for being unable to know where to begin. Inside me I was like: do people still entrust everything they have to God in a child-like simplicity like this? I was really moved.

In my heart, I said a prayer for her, that type of prayer that is deep down, it was as though it was the Holy Spirit Himself that was praying through me. I was feeling the answers to the prayers even before I finished praying.

Then she knelt down, I laid my hands upon her and blessed her and the money.

After prayers, I asked her to tell me how much was in the envelope. She said Eighty Thousand Naira.

Then I asked, “how much covers your transport to your work daily?”.

She said “approximately N1,000 naira to and fro, Father.” That means for 27 work days, it would be N27,000.

Then I spoke up again, “Sorry o, I am asking you too many questions, how much do you feed daily when you go to work?”.
She answered “It depends. If I want to eat so well, I spend 800 naira with drinks, but mainly I spend just N500, and sometimes I carry food from home.”

So, I made the calculation in my head. Let say she spends 500 naira daily, 27 work days would be 13,500 naira.
I went ahead to enquire about her accommodation and I discovered that she stayed alone in an apartment she just rented. We made the calculation by dividing the annual rent by 12 months and we discovered that if she was to pay rent monthly, it would be N12,500.

Her monthly electricity and water bill with other fees for house maintenance was put at N10,000....On phone calls and data, we approximated it to be N5000 monthly. Her monthly DSTV subscription was around N3,600 for DSTV family bouquet.

When you put all the expenses together and subtract it from the N80,000, she would be left with N8,400 to buy food stuffs and other things in the house.
These are the expenses that she wss sure to spend every month. We had not even talked about other things like make up, doing her hair, clothes, gifts to family and even savings.
This is a huge sacrifice, in my judgement. I intentionally asked her those questions so as to ascertain the depth of her sacrifice.

I brought out the envelope, bless it for the second time and gave it to her. I looked at her countenance and I knew she was not too comfortable with my action. Then I took time to explain the Bible to her. That was when I discovered that so many people do not truly understand how God works.

When God asks us for first fruit or for tithe or for any sacrifice, it is not so that He will eat it. No! He has no need of our money. When He asked Abraham to sacrifice his only son, it was not because he liked seeing the blood of innocent children.

When He asked Abel and Cain to make a sacrifice to Him, it was not because he ate fruit or even drank blood of rams. It is simply to test how committed we are, how willing are we to leave everything to Him. Do we, like Cain, select offerings that we no longer desire and give to Him or do we, like Abel, empty everything to Him?

This lady that brought the first fruit began to understand for the first time. Right from when she put the money in the envelope to bring to God, God had already accepted her offering. The minister must not spend the money. It is just that most of us ministers are unfortunately greedy. And we use God’s name to cover it up. We often see the part of scriptures that favour our stomach.*

Theologically, when you give to God, He transforms that gift and gives it back to you. The bread and wine people offer before mass are transformed to the body and blood of Christ and given back to the people to eat and drink.

The son Isaac that Abraham gave to God, was transformed to be a channel that would bring....forth the fulfillment of God’s promise and given back to Abraham.
The offerings of bread and fish people brought were prayed upon and given back to them to eat and they were filled, still there was left over.

The water they filled at the wedding in Cana is given back to them as wine..
The Ugwu Kelvin that my parents offered to God, is given back to them as a priest.

The money that the young lady brought to me as her first fruit is blessed and given back to her as pure gift from heaven.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10220708468680497&id=1199905702

68 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by hisgrace090: 6:36pm On Aug 31, 2019
Hnm!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by UceeGod: 4:43am On Sep 01, 2019
Na dem!
How does this move one closer to God? Genuine Christianity is not all about money.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by newsynews: 5:07am On Sep 01, 2019
UceeGod:
Na dem!
How does this move one closer to God? Genuine Christianity is not all about money.

Will you shut up.

What do you know about Christianity? It's not about money yet the Bible says we should honor God with the first fruits of all our substance?

You guys will just sit in one corner and start misleading people with stupid talks. One would think you know everything about the Bible.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by Sunofgod(m): 9:09am On Sep 01, 2019
If a pastor Dem go snatch that envelope without question or conscience!

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by lennsmart(m): 9:09am On Sep 01, 2019
Check my signature

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by Sunofgod(m): 9:09am On Sep 01, 2019
Amen...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by TANTUMERGO007(m): 9:09am On Sep 01, 2019
grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by Truefaith: 9:09am On Sep 01, 2019
Check this issue up with your Bible OPEN at

www.thetruechristianfaith.com

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by PotatoSalad(m): 9:10am On Sep 01, 2019
Apples are Red...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by ednut1(m): 9:11am On Sep 01, 2019
98% of pastors won't do this.

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by Hakeem12(m): 9:12am On Sep 01, 2019
The real question here is: “does the New Covenant require tithing, or do many Christians require it?” The New Testament teaches Cheerful Giving, but, unfortunately, many Christians still insist on tithing.

The problem with Christian Biblical interpretation is that one needs to take the Biblical passages in their textual and historical context. Much of the support for tithing comes from the Old Testament and the Old Mosaic Covenant, and the New Testament and the New Covenant. Malachi 3:8, is in the Old Covenant and applies to Mosaic Covenant Israel, not the New Covenant Church. In fact, there are only two or three references in the New Testament to tithing, and those passages refer to Christ rebuking the Jewish leaders for faithful tithing, while ignoring the most important things.

Many Christians take tithing out of context in other ways. Tithing was of agricultural produce and livestock. It was not of money. Tithing was to support the tribe of Levi, which could not have land of its own. Tithing was part of the Jewish tax system to support them and Temple worship. Tithing was also supposed to help the poor, not oppress them.

In the New Covenant, there is no tithing of the land. There is no Levitical priesthood. All Christians are priests. Neither the mode or need for tithing are relevant any more.

63 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by victorazyvictor(m): 9:13am On Sep 01, 2019
UceeGod:
Na dem!

See them

Genuine christian is all about what?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by Rojeweba: 9:13am On Sep 01, 2019
Check my signature to migrate to Canada

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by VisioDirect: 9:14am On Sep 01, 2019
This is the most appropriate way of explaining what giving to God means, you don’t take from people who has none to maintain private jets and live life of luxury. May this priest remain blessed beyond measure.

64 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by Ofunaofu: 9:14am On Sep 01, 2019
Interesting!
Now we know better

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by Nobody: 9:17am On Sep 01, 2019
Religion is a scam to fool the sheep minded stupid fool go and invest in something no that is why people live and die poor sha wetin concern me na her pikin wey go spit on am

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by Donpeak(f): 9:17am On Sep 01, 2019
Oh Fr K

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by Nobody: 9:19am On Sep 01, 2019
I don't know about first fruit, but tithe is commended by Jesus

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by Kayceo2010: 9:21am On Sep 01, 2019
Funny thing is that most of the people who commented before me never took out time to read the post.
And they've just jumped into conclusions..
Too bad..
We still have a long way to go seriously..

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by unmask: 9:23am On Sep 01, 2019
It is all ok till the day you drop first fruit thinking the pastor will return it and he doesn't

A better way is to get on your knees and thank God for the gift of life....that is all he needs or use it to bless other people that are in need

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by sesaan(m): 9:26am On Sep 01, 2019
I still find it hard to believe that there is a god out there looking and watching over us all.. even if there is one our paper money would not interest him.. logical reasoning backed with common dose of scientific knowledge makes me an Atheist

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by JastSiryin(m): 9:28am On Sep 01, 2019
Assuming say I dey go him church na bundle of Ugwu leaves I for give am as first fruit grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by koolaid87: 9:33am On Sep 01, 2019
What if I submitted the brown envelop for blessings and the pastor decided to keep it?

We go fight ooo

I no fit part away with my monthly salary ooo

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by PHIPEX(m): 9:34am On Sep 01, 2019
This is an excellent message, some ministers make it seem like God wants you to suffer and grab everything you have.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by Nobody: 9:35am On Sep 01, 2019
newsynews:

Will, you shut up.

What do you know about Christianity? It's not about money yet the Bible says we should honor God with the first fruits of all our substance?

You guys will just sit in one corner and start misleading people with stupid talks. One would think you know everything about the Bible.

But did God say honoring him must be via his pastors?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by rattlesnake(m): 9:42am On Sep 01, 2019
Yy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by studentofTruth: 9:46am On Sep 01, 2019
The best thing I have read about giving so far. Deep!
This is a true servant.

24 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

10 Good Reasons Not To Be A Jehovah's Witness. Any Idea? / The Messages Of Grace And Hellfire: Which Has Had More Impact In Recent Times? / Christmas Should be Replaced!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.