Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,457 members, 7,770,133 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:13 AM

Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? (45964 Views)

'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' / Please Explain What Genotype AC Is / Can A Man With Genotype As Get Marry To A Woman With Thesame Genoype? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by zoric(m): 6:27am On Feb 14, 2007
hi. need some advice here.
my girlfrnd n i ve bin going out for about 3 and a half years n we recently just discovered that we are both AS.
really confused. don't know weda we should go on or call it quit.
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by Uche2nna(m): 6:32am On Feb 14, 2007
Go find another girlfriend angry
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by ima1(f): 8:32am On Feb 14, 2007
please don't bring a child into this world just to make him/her suffer abeg, thats the worst thing you could do.
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by adconline(m): 9:00am On Feb 14, 2007
Can you get in a car that has 25% chance of having an accident? Yes or NO
AS vs AS = AA,AS,AS,SS

3 Likes

Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by nikynike(f): 10:46am On Feb 14, 2007
That has alot of negative ending.You Better don't get yourself involve. U should Go for AA while she Goes for AA too if not there will be no LOVE in that marriage trust me.
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by luvlymoi(f): 5:41pm On Feb 14, 2007
if u re inlove all that doesnt matter, just make sure u dont have more than 1 or 2 kids cos thats wer the problem is, and it also depends on wer u live, if u live in the u.s sickle cell disease is not a really big problem but it is a problem, they just have treatments for it not cures.
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by typical: 5:55pm On Feb 14, 2007
This is not a medical/doctor's surgery. why dont you ask medical personnel?
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:05pm On Feb 14, 2007
luvlymoi:

if u re inlove all that doesnt matter, just make sure u don't have more than 1 or 2 kids because thats wer the problem is, and it also depends on wer u live, if u live in the u.s sickle cell disease is not a really big problem but it is a problem, they just have treatments for it not cures.

The SS kid can end up being the first born, why risk it?
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by plezant(f): 7:39pm On Feb 14, 2007
Pls go for someone else
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by naijacutee(f): 9:11pm On Feb 14, 2007
In most cases, the SS is usually the fourth child. It's gonna be a gamble if you guys decide to go with it undecided
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by Uche2nna(m): 9:28pm On Feb 14, 2007
Who said it is usually the 4th child undecided It could be any , it does not come in any order.
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by Badman888(m): 11:35pm On Feb 14, 2007
I advise you to get someone else sha it hard decesion but what can you do, we were fortunate in out family both parents AS and out of 4, none of us were SS there is a chance but y risk it.
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by zoric(m): 2:38am On Feb 15, 2007
yea its really a hard decision. sad undecided
funny ting is, my parents r both AS and none of d six(children) of us is SS.
life is so funny.

3 Likes

Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by Nobody: 4:22am On Feb 15, 2007
naijacutee:

In most cases, the SS is usually the fourth child. It's going to be a gamble if you guys decide to go with it undecided

Which "most cases"? A college mate is first of 3 kids, a high school friend who passed away recently was first of 2 kids. I happen to know another 2 who just happen to be the last kids. Theoretical biology tells us the 4th kids should be SS but in reality this is not true.

zoric:

yea its really a hard decision. sad undecided
funny ting is, my parents r both AS and none of d six(children) of us is SS.
life is so funny.

yours indeed is one of the miracles of life and the puzzles of science.

1 Like

Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by Macgreat(m): 4:29am On Feb 15, 2007
undecided undecided
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by JustGood(m): 3:00pm On Feb 15, 2007
typical:

This is not a medical/doctor's surgery. why don't you ask medical personnel?

I concur.

are these people medically qualified to advise on this?
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by Badman888(m): 4:50pm On Feb 15, 2007
The medical staffs are still goin to tell you the same thing they would just explain further, they are some basic things about health which dosent require medical doctors.

2 Likes

Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by JustGood(m): 6:01pm On Feb 15, 2007
does that mean it's better to take advise from unknown people on the internet than to speak with a medical practitioner?
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by McKren(m): 7:51pm On Feb 15, 2007
Well getting into this marriage with this girl you love so much has a 25% chance of unhappiness as regards the baby with sickle cell.

But getting married to the wrong person is 100% unhappiness.

Well I advice you get your decisions right cos its totally up to you. Even the medical practitioner can only advice you which you can consider a mere opinion. Every marriage will always have its challenges, if it will come from a child there is absolutely nothing man can do about it. People who are AA+AA can give birth to a blind or deformed kids. Some might even be born ok but get deformed for life before their 5th birthday.
Though you can reduce your risks but sometimes some of these things are down to shear luck.

1 Like

Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by naijacutee(f): 8:29pm On Feb 15, 2007
davidylan:

Which "most cases"? A college mate is first of 3 kids, a high school friend who passed away recently was first of 2 kids. I happen to know another 2 who just happen to be the last kids. Theoretical biology tells us the 4th kids should be SS but in reality this is not true.

yours indeed is one of the miracles of life and the puzzles of science.

Ok, I didn't know that!
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by niyooo(m): 9:56pm On Feb 15, 2007
@ topic,

my own 2 cents is that the two of u should look for someone else instead of risking the probability of pain and hardship involved in seeing a loved child die one after the other. I know a couple that were AS that got married and lost the 5 kids they had, the marriage degenrated to something else and later on the man went to have a kid outside. Anyway just pray b4 u make ur decision, May God guide u right.
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by Badman888(m): 10:09pm On Feb 15, 2007
JustGood:

does that mean it's better to take advise from unknown people on the internet than to speak with a medical practitioner?

is that what i said?? NO u find out from various sources see what peeps have to say and meet a proffesional some Doctors can just tell u rubbish to chop your money as i said this is a basic thing, its not HIV, malaria and all that
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by edmondo(m): 11:25pm On Feb 15, 2007
mi guy,pls look 4 anoda girl.
mak u no risk am,ok.
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by 4mike(m): 4:35pm On Feb 16, 2007
My believe is,theres nothing impossible for creator.If u truely love your g/friend and u have she love u too,follow go for it God of love will back u up.its hard decision though.above all pray.
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by anabell(f): 7:07pm On Feb 16, 2007
4mike, just said it all

1 Like

Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by toptho(f): 8:36pm On Feb 16, 2007
It will be easy to say u guys should go your seperate ways but we all know that it's not that simple,but since i have seen first hand what having a sickler in the family can do,i will say u shld think twice.My cousin is AS and his fiancee was AS too,they were "madly" in love and so decided to seek medical advice.The doctor told them the cons,after then they sat down and decided that if they really loved themselves they will not bring a child into this world to suffer.Probablity is all well and good but there will always be someone else.I have a friend(she was the only girl and the middle child) who is a sickler,i saw what she went through,i wouldnt want to put my child through that
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by Hotnspicy(f): 7:12pm On Feb 17, 2007
Well u ave 2 options
u could either get married and u could,i mean would have a lot problems
or
u could go and take another chance at love
option 2 is better if u ask me
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by breezy: 7:54pm On Feb 17, 2007
i don't think the kid will forgive you for bringing him/her into the world to suffer. in the past it
is accepted due to ignorance but with the advent of technology where you can know each other genotype and be able to plan accordinly it will be a crime for bringing a sickler in to the world. tell me where do you want to start from is the economic burden of having a sickler as a child or seeing the child in pains and not be able to do anything about it, or the
the fear that the child can die anytime. so don't try or else you might have child who will never forgive you for knowing the consequences of you getting married to each other and decided to go ahead with it.
the alternative is you doing selective breeding where the fetus genotype is tested and you can then abort it if is SS, though i don't know if the technology is present in Nigeria or if you can afford the cost, there is also the question of morality.
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by 4mike(m): 9:01pm On Feb 18, 2007
the pains u going to go through leaving the person u really love is too much to bear.Thinking that u might never find someone that would ever love u again,so those guys know be best option for themseves either to sacrifice love or to stick to love and hope on CREATOR.but whichever option they take, is right for them i guess.but we guys should not forget that if we see a girl u really like, u don't ask her what her genotype is but we rush to express our feelings.The bottom line is genotype should not be hinderance to love.because LOVE itself demands alot of sacrifices.   cool

1 Like

Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by FactorChic(f): 12:51am On Mar 07, 2007
For real, I dont mean to be harsh but this is the dumbest post ever angry

Didn't you go to school?

which kain stupid love be that? angry

you want to marry her, then bring kids into this world so they can suffer, poor kids going through pain because of some stupid parents angry

Dont even think of getting married, go fins someone else damn it! angry
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by mystikal(m): 1:33am On Mar 07, 2007
factorchic, u go soon be doctor. try cure them of their genotype, make their love for bloosom, LOL
that was harsh coming from a soon 2 be doctor
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by Nikegenius(f): 10:23am On Mar 07, 2007
Let me put it this way.

If you find out that the girl u love so dearly has HIV through maybe injection or something like that but not fornication, would you go ahead to marry her if u've not contacted the disease?

Am sure you will not think about. And you know why, its because you will feel the pain directly. But because its the child that will suffer more, you think you can pull it through. A child will curse you for bringing it pain intentionally. If you didnt know about the genotype problem before the marriage, it would have been another case.

I tell you solemnly, the love you claim to have for each other will turn to hate in the face of this kind of problems in marrige.

I beg you, do not gamble with bringing a child into this world not knowing if the child will suffer all his life or not.

Am just suggesting.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fresh Accident Along Portharcourt Expressway / 5 Incurable STDS & How To Stay Healthy If You Have One / Cancer Killer Fruit.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.