Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,487 members, 7,770,189 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 07:00 AM

Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? (45966 Views)

'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' / Please Explain What Genotype AC Is / Can A Man With Genotype As Get Marry To A Woman With Thesame Genoype? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by bunmii(f): 2:54pm On Mar 07, 2007
i think you shouldn't but then still miracle happens u neva know & you should visit a doctor to know the options you have got.
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by agnesoseka: 2:09pm On Mar 17, 2007
Hard One@!
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by chelsea4su(f): 5:27pm On Mar 21, 2007
life its self is a risk, if you love your woman go for her,whats the propability of getting married to aa and later realize that she is hiv possitive , so go with your concience and let God turn your life around
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by Maneater1(f): 2:48pm On Mar 22, 2007
A very close friend of mine is SS and the irony is both her parents have medical backgrounds, so u wud think they wud have known better.

U dont have to have a medical qualification to know that AS and AS should not risk getting married as they could have an SS child.

I've kjnown this SS friend of mine for almost 10 yrs now and i remeber our school days when she wud have her crisis. u cud almost curse her parents for bringing her into this world to got thru so much pain.

if u see the pain and suffering they go thru and watch someone u love go thru it, and also live with the fear that any of their episodes cud claim their lives, you wud not think twice.

I dont want to ever think of losing my friend to the cold hands of death because of her genotype and her parents ignorance.

Be wise!!

U will also save each other alot of pain as it is no joke in her house whenevr she is sick, each crisis she has affects her entire family.
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by spoilt(f): 1:57am On Mar 23, 2007
i would go ahead. its only a 25% chance. besides its ironic because you could actually have all AA children. also SS children have been known to live happy healthy lives with proper medication. you dont have to be SS to die! you could be crossing the street to buy salt and a bike knocks you down .so there!

2 Likes

Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:16pm On Mar 24, 2007
medication or not they still go thru crisis.

Of course ignorant people wouldnt care.
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by spoilt(f): 7:21pm On Mar 24, 2007
@thiefof hearts

of course they still have their crisis but with proper medication the episodes are reduced and contained. its amazing how in nigeria sickle cell kills so many . sickle cell is no big deal here. its just another disease that can be successfully managed and contained. but then its a personal choice. if you cant marry the person, then get a'stepping! no be by force.
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by bluenubian(f): 7:29pm On Mar 24, 2007
Just cause its better managed here don't make it a good idea, a disease is always a disease. If u can prevent it why go ahead with baby making, unless u feel like your love is so strong that u can overcome anything, think of that one of 4th child that could become SS and the life they now have to live. The extra hospital trips and finance. I personally haven't seen a love worth it
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by spoilt(f): 7:34pm On Mar 24, 2007
people just dont go out of their way looking for sickle cell carriers to marry. its not a fantastic idea .but some things , you just cant help. who am i to judge people's decisions? as long as they know what they are in for and are willing to do it.

1 Like

Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by 9ja4eva: 7:37pm On Mar 24, 2007
Not a good idea but then it can be changed by God so pray abt it and see what happens.
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by lalaboi(m): 7:38pm On Mar 24, 2007
if u knw wots goin to apun and u do it! u nw expect God to help!
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by star01(m): 7:41pm On Mar 24, 2007
y risk ur life cos of luv,

PREVENTION Is BETA N CURE
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by bluenubian(f): 7:43pm On Mar 24, 2007
Yeah its true people don't go looking for other carriers to marry. But it shud be a deterrment when they do find out, my opinion. They could marry if they want. But having babies to mean seems a lil cruel cause it now looks like they would be gambling a babies life. Like lala said knowing ur situation ahead of time and then expect God to help is not right
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by 9ja4eva: 7:45pm On Mar 24, 2007
Well i have seen couples who knew dey were AS and prayed to God even @ dt.They were changed to AA so it depends on ones faith too but medically its best to nt risk it.
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by lalaboi(m): 7:49pm On Mar 24, 2007
9ja4eva! u sure? no sell bread 4 us hia o
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by 9ja4eva: 7:54pm On Mar 24, 2007
Nap am sure.So many testimonies like dt from SS to AA talkless of AA.E dey happen now.
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by lalaboi(m): 7:56pm On Mar 24, 2007
me neva see am b4 o!
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by 9ja4eva: 7:59pm On Mar 24, 2007
Oh for real.Well i don see and my church people dey come give testimonies too.Even HIV AIDS Positive to Negative so no be new thing.
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by lalaboi(m): 8:00pm On Mar 24, 2007
which church bdat?
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by 9ja4eva: 9:54pm On Mar 24, 2007
[b]WINNERS CHAPEL[/b]you need the site link?
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by bluenubian(f): 5:23am On Mar 26, 2007
let them fix naija first.
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by 9ja4eva: 7:56am On Mar 26, 2007
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by naijafresh: 10:07am On Mar 27, 2007
For all you 'Drs' in the house

AS + AS = AA, AS, AS, SS

This means statistically that there is a 1 in 4 chance of having an SS child each time there is pregnancy (25%for those who like percentages)
It doesn't mean that only one AA or 2 AS or 1 SS child can be born in the partnership or the fourth child will be SS as you can see from the posts above

Depending on your luck or if you are a Christian Gods wishes ,you may have 4AA 4AS or even 4SS children

Probability is not a stated fact that an event will occur, it is chance of an event occuring. The event does not have to occur

Question for the floor
If you have married an AS person and you are carrying an SS child will you abort?
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by naijaking1: 6:08pm On Jan 15, 2008
9ja4eva:

Well i have seen couples who knew dey were AS and prayed to God even @ dt.They were changed to AA so it depends on ones faith too but medically its best to nt risk it.

From a scientific and medical point of view, it is not possible for an adult to change from AS to AA.

Changing your male child to female is even easier than changing one from AS to AA.

Testimony or no testimony, that's just how God made it.
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by koolsasy(f): 8:30pm On Jan 15, 2008
pls dont get married to ur gurlfriend, i undastand its not goin to be easy to break up but u ve jus got to do it.unlike wat smone said,d SS doesnt hv to be d 4th child, dahs not tru.i kno an SS who is d second child, wateva im telling u is from personal experience.d SS child goes tru a lot of crises, added to d fact dat evryone else is growin healthy and u re not, even d entire family is goin to go tru a lot of depression and trauma uring such crises.pls,4 d sake of ur future,break up now.i m AS,i kno not to date a guy dats is AS too no mata wat, its one of my criterias in a relationship because i hv always bn aware of wat wuld happen so i dont date sumone and then hv to call it off.l8r
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by 9ja4eva: 5:48am On Jan 18, 2008
naijaking1:

From a scientific and medical point of view, it is not possible for an adult to change from AS to AA.

Changing your male child to female is even easier than changing one from AS to AA.

Testimony or no testimony, that's just how God made it.

Yes its not possible from a scientific and medical point of view but it is possible with God
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by jumeks: 6:38pm On Jan 28, 2008
It all depends on where you are based, my partner and I are both AS, we lived in the UK, we went for counseling and was advised there is a test they can do to find out if the fetus is a carrier (SS). If the fetus is a carrier you have the option of terminating or have the baby (your choice).

We went for this method, our first pregnancy was a carrier (which we terminate) and the next two are AS, we give God the glory that this test is available. We have two children.
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by question(m): 11:55am On Feb 05, 2008
jumeks:

It all depends on where you are based, my partner and I are both AS, we lived in the UK, we went for counseling and was advised there is a test they can do to find out if the fetus is a carrier (SS). If the fetus is a carrier you have the option of terminating or have the baby (your choice).

We went for this method, our first pregnancy was a carrier (which we terminate) and the next two are AS, we give God the glory that this test is available. We have two children.

Do you mean that this fetus test can only be done in UK?
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by earthrealm(m): 12:24pm On Feb 05, 2008
terminating unborn foetuses, thast still abortion/murder,
dont try n cover it up with science,

simple if u are as n ur gal is as, n u want 2 get married, DONT!!,

the cost/consequencs of ur actions far outweighs the ephemeral love u think u have 4 each other
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by jumeks: 4:47pm On Feb 05, 2008
@question

The test can be done in UK - UCH in Euston Street, can organize this for you through the Perinatal clinic.

The test is done through CVS - when you are 10 weeks pregnant, the result can be available between 5-7days.

If you need more infor email me at

jumekz@gmail.com
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by kathyekiti: 12:53am On Feb 06, 2008
If you are really concerned, you guys can perform an amniocentesis in the 2nd trimester to determine if the baby has SS and then make a difficult decision
Re: Genotype AS and AS: Can We Get Married? by anney(f): 12:26pm On Feb 06, 2008
@poster,
do you really love your babe talking about she has everything u want in a woman?do you share the same faith and truly believes in the love of God ? then go for her but make a decision on the number of kids u would like to have and tell GOD about it cos He knows the value of real love .i was onced negative about this issue and i realised thatGOD gives children and he gives the best ,ask for his will to b done. good people are hard to find.
cheers friend when u love u finds true happiness.i wish u d best in life.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fresh Accident Along Portharcourt Expressway / 5 Incurable STDS & How To Stay Healthy If You Have One / Cancer Killer Fruit.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.