Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,280 members, 7,818,949 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold (4207 Views)

How To Know When Car Tyres Need Replacing / Black Smoke From Exhaust. / Please Help me. My 1999 Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke and Consuming Fuel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by ggakunna: 2:01pm On Sep 09, 2017
nurey:

Selling the car depends on the repair value and your pocket to afford the fix.

I can't give you a face value as I don't know the prices of what parts you will change and what parts can be salvaged. Honmusa has agreed to help you with a remote diagnosis why don't you get a scanner probably the Bluetooth one and scan the vehicle yourself it should only set you back by 5k and you use you android phone to read all the necessary data.

My brothers office mate bought a Toyota sienna naija abused too, he had to sell it when the wahala. Was just too much. It would have been much easier if you had a sincere technician to put you through.

The first step is to revert back to manufacturer specs then see what parts the kazeem has damaged and needs changing then budget for it. Because professional touch would be involved that's the reason for my "not cheap fix statement"

Okay brother. AutoElecNG also mentioned this. Thank You so much. please read what I wrote about the update from the mechanic guy that scanned the car for me...
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by nurey(m): 2:10pm On Sep 09, 2017
ggakunna:

Okay brother. AutoElecNG also mentioned this. Thank You so much. please read what I wrote about the update from the mechanic guy that scanned the car for me...

Let him list all the work done, collect it on Tuesday test drive and update the house
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by AutoElectNG: 2:13pm On Sep 09, 2017
ggakunna:

Wow....Am honored brother. Am honored.....Am honored.....I wish I understand a thing or two about cars...Am mesmerized. I thank you very much for your concerns. I will definitely pass this on to my mechanic (the man that scanned the car). I met him today in his workshop and he told me (he was quite confident in the way he spoke unlike the "kazeem" that said I need to buy "half and top" engine) that by Tuesday I should come and "carry" my car.

I psyched him by telling him about my online experts/friends and showing him all your submissions and comments. He was impressed that someone on this forum could recommend him. My fear now is that he is charging me as "low" as 25k payable only when he is done with the car on tuesday. Tuesday? this car has been in the other mechanics shop for 3weeks now. And considering all the "faults", I feared it will drain my pocket, hence my "selling" comment...He only told me to buy oil that the one in the car is as black as charcoal and as watery as distilled water (I confirmed this myself as I was surprised).

To your question my brother, the engine was not changed neither was the transmission to the best of my knowledge. Concerning the abuse, I left the car for my siblings in Lagos when I moved down to Ebonyi for a faculty Job change. Since the economy is hard and the ASUU strike is on going and the government may start "no work no pay" soon, I decided to bring the car down here over 2 months ago.

Open circuit means an incomplete circuit, so current does not flow end to end as designed...and so the circuit functions abnormally

Short circuit means two unrelated wires have come in touch with each other...in local parlance...bridged, causing unintended operations

Your fault will most likely be either

Only in a worse case scenario which I very much doubt will you have to replace the components on account of their being faulty

There are tests to determine if such is necessary and if the guy is knowledgeable enough I can pass on the information you need via email so you and him can work through the required tests to narrow down your options.

The issue is not how much you are charged as much as it is how he goes about doing the diagnosis...and whether he will follow factory recommendations are not
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by ggakunna: 2:50pm On Sep 09, 2017
nurey:

Let him list all the work done, collect it on Tuesday test drive and update the house

Okay bro. I will update on Tuesday. Many Thanks
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by ggakunna: 2:56pm On Sep 09, 2017
[quote author=AutoElectNG post=60287049]

Open circuit means an incomplete circuit, so current does not flow end to end as designed...and so the circuit functions abnormally

Short circuit means two unrelated wires have come in touch with each other...in local parlance...bridged, causing unintended operations

Your fault will most likely be either

Only in a worse case scenario which I very much doubt will you have to replace the components on account of their being faulty

There are tests to determine if such is necessary and if the guy is knowledgeable enough I can pass on the information you need via email so you and him can work through the required tests to narrow down your options.

The issue is not how much you are charged as much as it is how he goes about doing the diagnosis...and whether he will follow factory recommendations are not[/quote

You are right about that bro. I guess I was expecting him to use the common slangs of "Oga na big work be this ooh" then charge me very high. lol

Thank you so much.

Any help from you will be welcomed brother and will go a long way..
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by AutoElectNG: 6:22am On Sep 10, 2017
As promised, I have sent you the information you need, it may be the course of wisdom to delete your email above to avoid spam, which is why I have not quoted you
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by ggakunna: 7:54am On Sep 12, 2017
AutoElectNG:
As promised, I have sent you the information you need, it may be the course of wisdom to delete your email above to avoid spam, which is why I have not quoted you

I got your mail brother. You and others here have truly shown me unconditional support. Thanks so much.

I replied your email. It took some time because your message went to the spam. Please check
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by ggakunna: 5:11pm On Sep 20, 2017
Good evening brothers and sisters
UPDATE on my car....

The mechanic has been successful so far. The codes has cleared...No more black smoke... The only thing remaining is to solve the problem of "hard start" when engine is hot.... According to him, to do that he needs to buy "fuel pump check valve". He has asked around in other to purchase it but none of the shops seems to have it for now and he is looking to call Onitcha for them to send it down if he couldn't get it here.
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by ggakunna: 5:30pm On Sep 20, 2017
AutoElectNG:

Good evening..
The mechanic has been successful so far. The codes has cleared...No more black smoke... The only thing remaining is to solve the problem of "hard start" when engine is hot.... According to him, to do that he needs to buy "fuel pump check valve". He has asked around in other to purchase it but none of the shops seems to have it for now and he is looking to call Onitcha for them to send it down if he couldn't get it here.
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by ggakunna: 5:33pm On Sep 20, 2017
nurey:

Ok, your car has been reconnected and it's off the charts. You still need a competent mechanic though to help you fix the issue, now first stop touching the fuel pump and find a good rewire to help you check it's functionality you can also change the filter of the fuel pump.

After that we move to the codes.

Behind that big box, there is a sensor plugged, ensure it is plugged in and wire intact, let them open it up and check the filter clean the filter or replace outright and clean the box too.

From the box going backwards, it's rubber hose meets with a metallic pipe, this will have to be dismantled and the butterfly sprayed with carburetor sprayer it has to me cleaned out. Then everything fixed back to factory.

Has work been done on your plugs? If it has been replaced did they replace with iridium tipped or nah the #200 naira own them use.

Do all that, clear code, drive a while and rescan.

There are some kazeem signature I can see all over the car I think your fan is run direct and thermostat has been removed. Your issue majorly is finding a good technician to do the right thing and to tell you the truth it's not going to be a cheap fix.

Follow up on that thread to learn something
https://www.nairaland.com/1501331/black-exhaust-smoke-toyota-sienna

Good evening nurey
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by AutoElectNG: 6:33pm On Sep 20, 2017
ggakunna:

Good evening..

Congratulations so far...which of them, the first guy or the KIA guy?

Further evidence for my position to approach the problem methodically instead of giving up in despair, chickening up and getting a pittance for the vehicle
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by ggakunna: 6:47pm On Sep 20, 2017
AutoElectNG:

Congratulations so far...which of them, the first guy or the KIA guy?

Further evidence for my position to approach the problem methodically instead of giving up in despair, chickening up and getting a pittance for the vehicle

Thanks Bro...you have been very helpful. I would have given up if not for you guys here.

What can you say about this "hard start" issue? and "fuel pump check valve" that the mechanic proposed was the problem?

The First guy did the job actually.
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by autologic: 6:52pm On Sep 20, 2017
ggakunna:

Thanks Bro...you have been very helpful. I would have given up if not for you guys here.

What can you say about this "hard start" issue? and "fuel pump check valve" that the mechanic proposed was the problem?

fuel pump check valve is on the fuel pump which means faulty check valve is faulty fuel pump.
But to get definitely diagnosis if truly u have bad check valve ,you need a fuel pressure diagnostics tools to confirm this
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by AutoElectNG: 7:23pm On Sep 20, 2017
ggakunna:

See what Factory documentation says attached

I will email you the procedure for troubleshooting, you can pass it on to the guy

Attached an image for the fuel pump showing the fuel pump check valve for another vehicle

Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by ggakunna: 7:25pm On Sep 20, 2017
AutoElectNG:

See what Factory documentation says attached

I will email you the procedure for troubleshooting, you can pass it on to the guy

Okay bro. thanks
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by ggakunna: 7:29pm On Sep 20, 2017
autologic:

fuel pump check valve is on the fuel pump which means faulty check valve is faulty fuel pump.
But to get definitely diagnosis if truly u have bad check valve ,you need a fuel pressure diagnostics tools to confirm this

Many Thanks Bro....Thanks so much.
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by nurey(m): 8:13pm On Sep 20, 2017
ggakunna:

Good evening nurey

Congratulations, since you have seen the positive work, I guess the technician knows what he is doing. Let him complete his diagnosis on the fuel pump and if bad change it outright.
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by ggakunna: 9:38pm On Sep 20, 2017
nurey:

Congratulations, since you have seen the positive work, I guess the technician knows what he is doing. Let him complete his diagnosis on the fuel pump and if bad change it outright.

okay bro. Many Thanks
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by nasonaso: 11:40pm On Sep 24, 2017
ggakunna:

okay bro. Many Thanks

Please how did you get your electrician ?where is your location sir?.

There is a Toyota Carina E having same issue.Black smoke coming out from the exhaust. Car is is like Nigeria Breweries. All the rewires have been doing guess work but the problem still persists.

I tried taking the car for a scan the guy said he can't find the port to plug in a scanner.

2k fuel can't last for a hour. Autoelect.

Presently I am in Edo state. I need your help here please

Almost all the rewires here I have met don't know how to tackle this challenge.

Cc

Nurey
AutoELectNG
diportivo,
Autologic,
Car doctor,
Hayjayman,
Princtom,
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by nurey(m): 6:36am On Sep 25, 2017
nasonaso:

Please how did you get your electrician ?where is your location sir?.

There is a Toyota Carina E having same issue.Black smoke coming out from the exhaust. Car is is like Nigeria Breweries. All the rewires have been doing guess work but the problem still persists.

I tried taking the car for a scan the guy said he can't find the port to plug in a scanner.

2k fuel can't last for a hour. Autoelect.

Presently I am in Edo state. I need your help here please

Almost all the rewires here I have met don't know how to tackle this challenge.

Start your own thread and include car year also a snap shot of your dash board while engine is on and a snap shot of the engine bay then retag us and we will see how we can remote assist you
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by tonychristopher: 8:53am On Nov 25, 2017
diportivo:
where is tonychristopher when u need him

seemingly as this looks like a tropicalization fall out undecided

these codes pretty much sums up the reason ur engine is doing like Perkins

u need a competent rewire/mecho
Black smoke is rich burning

Check injector or air flow meter

(1) (2) (Reply)

Repair Of Stiff Steering 07 Camry / I Have 1 Million Naira ,pls Advise Me On What Car To Buy / The Moment A Mclaren 570s Was Spotted In A Village In Kebbi State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.