Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,761 members, 7,955,900 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:09 PM

We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate (16284 Views)

NDDC: Pondei, Others Spent N5bn As Medical Allowances – Senate Report / We Can’t Disclose Details Of Buhari’s Assets - CCB / Buhari’s Health: We Can’t Disclose Amount Spent – FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by dsocioemmy(m): 9:15am On Sep 11, 2017
Yeye comparing himself to journalists. are journalists elected to rep us? yeye.
Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by JikanBaura(m): 9:16am On Sep 11, 2017
sad please let's their be mass protest , stunt their thief meeting in abuja demand that wil they will never enter that chambers cuz its not build with their parents money. Useless he-goats
Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by zoedew: 9:18am On Sep 11, 2017
LocalChamp:
Published September 11, 2017

The Chairman, Senate Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Senator Aliyu Abdullahi, has lamented the constant harassment of the Senate by Nigerians, adding that the upper legislative chamber cannot disclose its salaries and allowances.

Abdullahi said this during a live programme on Channels Television titled, ‘Politics Today.’

The Senate spokesman also refused to state how much the lawmakers earned in salary and allowances.

When asked to say how much he earned, Abdullahi said it was rude of the presenter to ask him how much each senator earned.

Abdulahi said, “You don’t expect me to come out on national television to say this is what I earn. It is not done. I cannot ask you as a journalist how much you earn. It is not done.

“If anybody is interested in how much we are getting paid, you know where to get the information. The documents are available. If Nigerians won’t believe that, is it what I will say that they will believe?”

The Senate spokesman said the figures released by the Chairman, Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption, Prof. Itse Sagay (SAN), were false, adding that the Senate’s budget was not even as high as what Sagay released.

He said Sagay was only trying to cause unnecessary tension between the National Assembly and the Presidency.

When confronted with the figures exclusively obtained by Channels Television which put the salary and allowances of each senator at N14m per month and House of Representatives members as N8m per month, Abdullahi said he could not confirm or deny the figures.

Abdullahi said the cost of democracy was not as high as the cost of not having democracy and Nigerians should look on the bright side.

He added, “This issue has become a recurring decimal. In the last two years people have been discussing this matter and I always ask myself, what do people really want to believe? I think if this subject matter has been discussed for two years and we are still looking at issues wrongly, then I think there is something wrong with us.

“The institutions that are responsible for providing this information are there. A law was promulgated on Top Salary Scale also known as TOPSA and it is based on this scale that everyone who holds one political office or the other gets paid.

“I want to also submit that I presume Prof. Sagay would have been paid based on the provision of this scale. For us in the National Assembly, the question needs to be asked ‘what is the cost of having democracy and what is the cost of not having democracy?’”

Sagay (SAN), had said last week that a Nigerian senator earns N29m per month.

“From the information I have gathered, a Nigerian senator earns about N29m a month and over N3bn a year,” the professor said.

He added, “Basic salary N2,484,245.50; hardship allowance, 1,242, 122.70; constituency allowance N4, 968, 509.00; furniture allowance N7, 452, 736.50; newspaper allowance N1, 242, 122.70.

“Wardrobe allowance N621,061.37; recess allowance N248, 424.55; accommodation 4,968,509.00; utilities N828,081.83; domestic staff N1,863,184.12; entertainment N828,081.83; personal assistant N621,061.37; vehicle maintenance allowance N1,863,184.12; leave allowance N248,424.55; severance gratuity N7, 425,736.50; and motor vehicle allowance N9, 936,982.00.”

http://punchng.com/we-cant-disclose-our-allowances-senate/

If it were the days of The French Revolution this Senator and his ilk in the Senate should be on their way to The Guillotine! Insensitive and banal lot!!

1 Like

Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by Acidosis(m): 9:19am On Sep 11, 2017
While I agree that Senators, like other politicians in the executive and legislative arms of the government, are corrupt, I can't understand how a supposed Professor arrived at this;

“From the information I have gathered, a Nigerian senator earns about N29m a month and over N3bn a year,” the professor said.

I know the Professor assumed he's talking and dishing out figures to illiterates (many Nigerians are), but sorry, I don't work with assumptions, especially those that makes no iota of sense.

How can N29m a month amount to N3bn a year?

What kind of Professor is that?

How come no other poster has come out to attack this claim? N29/month in a year isn't even close to N400m.

If you must attack Nigerian Senators, at least, do it sensibly. If I were a "corrupt" Senator, I would wrap his claims, squeeze it, squeeze it further, and flush it down the toilet.
Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by middlebelter(m): 9:20am On Sep 11, 2017
You can imagine the quality of minds representing us as Senators?
How can you compare your office with that of a journalist? A journalist's salary is not been paid out of Tax Payers money, your is been paid. A journalist was not elected to be accountable to the public, Senators are.
To now say that the journalist (the fourth estate representating the public) is rude in asking you to disclose to us what we are supposed to know is like saying Nigerians are collectively rude and stupid?

Why will you be ready and willing to disclose to us in the first instance, is it not because your salaries and allowances violates good conscience in an environment as poor as Nigeria? Is is not because you people are treating us as captives in a war?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by Vendee: 9:21am On Sep 11, 2017
You can still say it, we may believe you.
Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by zoedew: 9:22am On Sep 11, 2017
dsocioemmy:
Yeye comparing himself to journalists. are journalists elected to rep us? yeye.

Reflects how vapid he is. #bakinzuwolookalike
Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by Ihutomi: 9:23am On Sep 11, 2017
We know u are all thiefs so no need, we would cry more harder if we see it, bunch of useless souls.
Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by Fourwinds: 9:23am On Sep 11, 2017
the useless thieves are always frightened to discuss the issue of their salaries... foolish law breakers
Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by Nobody: 9:23am On Sep 11, 2017
really..... Nigerian politics os so wack. no transparency . accountability. no freedom of speech.
Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by middlebelter(m): 9:24am On Sep 11, 2017
You can imagine the quality of minds representing us as Senators?
How can you compare your office with that of a journalist? A journalist's salary is not been paid out of Tax Payers money, your is been paid. A journalist was not elected to be accountable to the public, Senators are.
To now say that the journalist (the fourth estate representating the public) is rude in asking you to disclose to us what we are suppose to know is like saying Nigerians are collectively rude and stupid?

Why will you be ready and willing to disclose to us in the first instance, is it not because your salaries and allowances violates good conscience in an environment as poor as Nigeria? Is is not because you people are treating us as captives in a war?

1 Like

Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by barondmoni: 9:27am On Sep 11, 2017
Nnamdi kanu has seen this and promise to fight it to the end......but some fools will still blame him rubbish Zoo
Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by bong4(m): 9:28am On Sep 11, 2017
LocalChamp:
Published September 11, 2017

The Chairman, Senate Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Senator Aliyu Abdullahi, has lamented the constant harassment of the Senate by Nigerians, adding that the upper legislative chamber cannot disclose its salaries and allowances.

Abdullahi said this during a live programme on Channels Television titled, ‘Politics Today.’

The Senate spokesman also refused to state how much the lawmakers earned in salary and allowances.

When asked to say how much he earned, Abdullahi said it was rude of the presenter to ask him how much each senator earned.

Abdulahi said, “You don’t expect me to come out on national television to say this is what I earn. It is not done. I cannot ask you as a journalist how much you earn. It is not done.

“If anybody is interested in how much we are getting paid, you know where to get the information. The documents are available. If Nigerians won’t believe that, is it what I will say that they will believe?”

The Senate spokesman said the figures released by the Chairman, Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption, Prof. Itse Sagay (SAN), were false, adding that the Senate’s budget was not even as high as what Sagay released.

He said Sagay was only trying to cause unnecessary tension between the National Assembly and the Presidency.

When confronted with the figures exclusively obtained by Channels Television which put the salary and allowances of each senator at N14m per month and House of Representatives members as N8m per month, Abdullahi said he could not confirm or deny the figures.

Abdullahi said the cost of democracy was not as high as the cost of not having democracy and Nigerians should look on the bright side.

He added, “This issue has become a recurring decimal. In the last two years people have been discussing this matter and I always ask myself, what do people really want to believe? I think if this subject matter has been discussed for two years and we are still looking at issues wrongly, then I think there is something wrong with us.

“The institutions that are responsible for providing this information are there. A law was promulgated on Top Salary Scale also known as TOPSA and it is based on this scale that everyone who holds one political office or the other gets paid.

“I want to also submit that I presume Prof. Sagay would have been paid based on the provision of this scale. For us in the National Assembly, the question needs to be asked ‘what is the cost of having democracy and what is the cost of not having democracy?’”

Sagay (SAN), had said last week that a Nigerian senator earns N29m per month.

He added, “Basic salary N2,484,245.50; hardship allowance, 1,242, 122.70; constituency allowance N4, 968, 509.00; furniture allowance N7, 452, 736.50; newspaper allowance N1, 242, 122.70.

“Wardrobe allowance N621,061.37; recess allowance N248, 424.55; accommodation 4,968,509.00; utilities N828,081.83; domestic staff N1,863,184.12; entertainment N828,081.83; personal assistant N621,061.37; vehicle maintenance allowance N1,863,184.12; leave allowance N248,424.55; severance gratuity N7, 425,736.50; and motor vehicle allowance N9, 936,982.00.”

http://punchng.com/we-cant-disclose-our-allowances-senate/

Please ooo, what kind of problem is someone who earns a basic salary of N2,484245.50 facing to demand additional hardship allowance of N1,242,122.70? Nigeria we hail thee?
Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by 9japrof(m): 9:29am On Sep 11, 2017
lailo:

it only means Nigeria is restructuring.Change is already here,unlike PDP era that it was business and family things.

Is that what you think, keep telling yourself what you want to hear... Keep giving excuses for your failures
Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by enemyofprogress: 9:52am On Sep 11, 2017
Criminals parading themselves as lawmakers
Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by positivetaught: 9:55am On Sep 11, 2017
Let's be factual here,the NASS pay may be high but who determined this pay is it not the RMAFC?,this is the body we should be questioning or who amongst us reject a pay rise?,obasanjo introduced the idea of constituency project into the NASS for his selfish interest but today goes around shamelessly talking of corruption in NASS,ordinarily the duties of the legislature is law making n supervision of the executive not policy formulations, public administration or execution of contracts but in Nigeria things are always different, may be all public servants earnings should be made public from the president to least person n let's see who are the devils n the saints.
Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by Akinaukwa: 10:02am On Sep 11, 2017
And Evans could not even see any of these thiefnators to kidnap for better ransom. angry angry angry
Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by rainylad(f): 10:02am On Sep 11, 2017
Brugo:
cheesy cheesy

You won't see Saint Senator Ben Bruce coming out to denounce this.

Besides, why are the igbo senators not fighting for Biafra in the house. It appears the money is too sweet to leave behind. grin

Why are your yoruba senators not carrying your odua wrinkled flag,shouting restructuring and telling Igbos to leave Lagos?...looks like the money and 'one Nigeria' dey sweet them no be small.
Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by Godwin999(m): 10:11am On Sep 11, 2017
Na wa
Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by suremanpatriot: 10:14am On Sep 11, 2017
...then resign,because you must show ur official earnings to match your physical assets.
Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by Korrection(m): 10:17am On Sep 11, 2017
I only read comments but sometimes I feel like supporting the disintegration of this nation. Where have really gone wrong.? A senator don't know or can't disclose how much they earn. I blame Seun for all the hatefulness on this forum....he was neutral when we started nairaland way back..now he promotes hatred among Nigerian brothers and sisters. Bans some people and leaves some... I see this forum causing a physical war some day or the govt that doesn't like you will come for your head.... keep it up. ...
Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by BanevsJoker(m): 10:23am On Sep 11, 2017
Excuse me, what is "hardship allowance"? Is it for the Senators' hardship or that of the masses?
Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by BanevsJoker(m): 10:27am On Sep 11, 2017
Korrection:
I only read comments but sometimes I feel like supporting the disintegration of this nation. Where have really gone wrong.? A senator don't know or can't disclose how much they earn. I blame Seun for all the hatefulness on this forum....he was neutral when we started nairaland way back..now he promotes hatred among Nigerian brothers and sisters. Bans some people and leaves some... I see this forum causing a physical war some day or the govt that doesn't like you will come for your head.... keep it up. ...
Allows muslims to put a restriction on their threads, but other religions' threads are free for all.
Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by DJInfluence: 10:40am On Sep 11, 2017
Legal thieves....
Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by willibounce1(m): 10:50am On Sep 11, 2017
Oya the nigerian youths should stand up and go protest this. Why can't you tell the people you are serving how much you earn? These are the people ruining this country. They just earn huge salary for doing nothing. No wonder Dino is buying luxury cars, travelling all over the world and phucking women any how he likes.
Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by Daboomb: 10:56am On Sep 11, 2017
ifyan:
One of the most corrupt and insane plus greedy institution in the country.

Imaging about less than 500 people consuming close toN120B while N18k minimum wage is a problem.

This zoo need to be cleansed.

Idiotic IPOB!

I am sure you are not aware that even Senators from Biaf.raud and Potopoto Republic also collect the same amount? angry angry

Okay, since they are from Biafr.aud, they dont need to be Cleansed, unlike the Zoo!

Seriously, you these IPOB Pigs need a brain transplant.
Bloody Hypocrites
Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by handsomebanana(m): 10:57am On Sep 11, 2017
harlems02:
As long as they go home with fat salaries, election in this country will continue to be a do or die affair because, their eyes is focused on the bogus benefits and not going there to serve the people. GOD help us.

The benefits certainly are not bogus; if it was, they would not be fighting to win
Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by joinnow: 11:01am On Sep 11, 2017
Meanwhile Nigeria Senators now
Looking at Sagay picture 1

And Senators climbing Sagay house gate to get him picture 2

Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by joinnow: 11:05am On Sep 11, 2017
Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by joinnow: 11:06am On Sep 11, 2017
Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by Korrection(m): 11:19am On Sep 11, 2017
BanevsJoker:

Allows muslims to put a restriction on their threads, but other religions' threads are free for all.
Believe me ...Seun is the same thing as sarrki here.. "the unbanables"
Re: We Can’t Disclose Our Allowances – Senate by Bsideboi(m): 11:28am On Sep 11, 2017
Nigerian leaders corporate and public office holders earn so much yet do so little.
Look at all those top corporate management staffs riding in cars costing 18million, living in mansions on the island and you begin to wonder who pays for all these luxury.It has become a case of since you make the policies,you give all the good things to yourself and outsource to companies they own and pay the drivers and security guys peanut.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tribunal Judgment: Femi Fani-Kayode Calls Nigeria 'A Zoo' / “we Pay Police To Kill Police, N500,000 Per Head” – Boko Haram / Multiple Explosions & Gunshots In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.