Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,220 members, 7,825,835 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 01:12 AM

Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS (17255 Views)

Gov. Udom Emmanuel Interacts With Akwa Ibom Youths At Ibom Plaza / Akwa Ibom Youths Storm Hotel To Arrest Imported Thugs Ahead Of Elections. Photos / 'INEC Rec Is Working For PDP, Redeploy Him': Akwa Ibom Youths Protest (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by aybabz101: 7:29am On Sep 12, 2017
u cant force companies to be in a particular region of d country. lagos is strategically d best place for them as far as nigeria is concern. dat is why most oil.companies in the south south are located in PH instead of delta or bayelsa.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by aybabz101: 7:36am On Sep 12, 2017
tempest01:
The way Exxon Mobil is acting, it will soon backfire. No key employment for the communities, but illegal employment goes on every now and then from Lagos.

Other host communities don't condone such.

hope u know say exxon mobil is a multinational company vying to maximize her profit. baba, dis no b nigeria government work where quota system exist oooo. baba put tribalism and nepotism aside in dis case. if there ar qualified persons in akwa ibom state- especially in eket or ibeno-i believed they will b employed.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by saintneo(m): 7:48am On Sep 12, 2017
Niger Delta is killing itself everyday.

Go to Lagos, you'll see investment everywhere.

Why don't Niger Delta people hold their leaders accountable? This goes to Igbo people too(A bü nwa afö, uche gï dï ya!) We should enthrone true advocates of the people so as to ensure proper accountability and representation in business/political affairs.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by Kenzyy0(m): 7:54am On Sep 12, 2017
Nice one
Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by GavelSlam: 8:07am On Sep 12, 2017
saintneo:
Niger Delta is killing itself everyday.

Go to Lagos, you'll see investment everywhere.

Why don't Niger Delta people hold their leaders accountable? This goes to Igbo people too(A bü nwa afö, uche gï dï ya!) We should enthrone true advocates of the people so as to ensure proper accountability and representation in business/political affairs.

I'm glad someone understands how things work.
Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by Pesuzok(m): 8:08am On Sep 12, 2017
I tell you one thing, if exxon moves it's HQ to say owerri which is also a ND region, these guy will still not agree. The next protest would be to move it to the state and even a particular LG
Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by UDIOK: 8:12am On Sep 12, 2017
pbethel:
Ds community people are annoying. One can't freely go to work without dem blocking the road and demanding money or ceasing bus. They also go 2 d extent of storming lodges to beat up staffs if their demands aren't met.
There are better ways of handling issues.
....they need to b educated.
Better ways like......deep down your mind you know the politic going on in Exxon Mobil because of your western brothers abeg swerve
Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by tempest01(m): 8:19am On Sep 12, 2017
aybabz101:

hope u know say exxon mobil is a multinational company vying to maximize her profit. baba, dis no b nigeria government work where quota system exist oooo. baba put tribalism and nepotism aside in dis case. if there ar qualified persons in akwa ibom state- especially in eket or ibeno-i believed they will b employed.

And what makes you think there are no qualified persons in the host communities? Tribalism and nepotism is employing Illegally in Lagos and posting them down to Ibeno, and the only thing the host communities get to have a chance is when recruiting technicians.

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by davillian(m): 8:22am On Sep 12, 2017
Tolexander:
This coffin thingy doesn't work again!
Anybody that touches that coffin would die
Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by Jarus(m): 8:31am On Sep 12, 2017
Exxon has big presence in Akwa Ibom and contributes very significantly to the economy of the state. Highest PAYE (personal income tax ) payer to the state government, biggest patrons of hotels in the state, biggest customers to many businesses and indigenous suppliers.

So why would they relocate the Head Office to Akwa Ibom when they know Lagos is safer and most administrative works can only be done from the city?

I know all this because I also work in a company that is present in Akwa Ibom state.
Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by Nobody: 8:42am On Sep 12, 2017
Jarus:
Exxon has big presence in Akwa Ibom and contributes very significantly to the economy of the state. Highest PAYE (personal income tax ) payer to the state government, biggest patrons of hotels in the state, biggest customers to many businesses and indigenous suppliers.

So why would they relocate the Head Office to Akwa Ibom when they know Lagos is safer and most administrative works can only be done from the city?

I know all this because I also work in a company that is present in Akwa Ibom state.

the worst part of it is that these jokers cannot learn even from recent history

by all reports warri is now a shadow of itself since shell divested. now all they have are greedy self serving local billionaires, but none of the high paying jobs, contracts and business that comes from having well paid expats in your locale

even worse is that these our oyel noisemakers cannot see the writing on the wall. the importance of oil will drastically reduce in the coming decade, and all they are doing is making sure no one will want to have anything to do with them once thishappens

2 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by richidinho(m): 8:44am On Sep 12, 2017
pbethel:
Ds community people are annoying. One can't freely go to work without dem blocking the road and demanding money or ceasing bus. They also go 2 d extent of storming lodges to beat up staffs if their demands aren't met.
There are better ways of handling issues.
....they need to b educated.

Stay there they speak grammar, better hand never touch you
Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by Gerrard59(m): 8:49am On Sep 12, 2017
Jarus:

Well, Uyo is safe also if not the safest capital city East of the Niger. This incident can be frustration induced. Yes, ExxonMobil and subsidiaries have contributed a lot to the state (they have to actually), but having their HQTR in a place far away from their operational base is not fair. Yes, a private firm has the right to cite her HQTR wherever she deems fit, but that does not mean it's ethical. If they need a commercial city to conduct business, Port-Harcourt is there. A HQTR in PH is fair than Lagos.

Same ExxonMobil have their global HQTR in Texas, why not New York or San Francisco? This is because she has most of her operations in the US in Texas.
Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by xanie: 9:02am On Sep 12, 2017
But the same state has earmarked over 2billion for a new lodge in Lagos state. What signal is the proposed lodge sending? Talk about double standards.

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by tsdarkside(m): 9:15am On Sep 12, 2017
how can this be Ambush!!....the streets are empty...when ipob storm a police station and piss off officers its protest...

but when nigerians protest its Ambush...
Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by kelimani: 9:29am On Sep 12, 2017
From the pictures, Mobil operational base is dirty and unkept. Little wonder the agitation from their host. Does it mean ExxonMobil is faraway from her social responsibilities?
Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by aybabz101: 9:41am On Sep 12, 2017
tempest01:

And what makes you think there are no qualified persons in the host communities? Tribalism and nepotism is employing Illegally in Lagos and posting them down to Ibeno, and the only thing the host communities get to have a chance is when recruiting technicians.

guy sentiments apart, if u ar looking for experts or let me say the best in almost every sector in Nigeria, d most probable place to find them is lag. like i said earlier, theses conpanies ar not indigenous companies. they recruit their staffs base on merit. i believe the best are employed
Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by tempest01(m): 9:50am On Sep 12, 2017
aybabz101:

guy sentiments apart, if u ar looking for experts or let me say the best in almost every sector in Nigeria, d most probable place to find them is lag. like i said earlier, theses conpanies ar not indigenous companies. they recruit their staffs base on merit. i believe the best are employed

Comment on matters you have knowledge on.The last known equal opportunity employment carried out by Exxon in Nigeria is in 2012. You can't tell me that merit is used for other employments done by people with connect in Lagos.
Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by earthcrust: 10:43am On Sep 12, 2017
I will not blame those who call d youths names on this forum cos they no nothing about how multinational cpnys operate in Nigeria. I am yet to see any extraction company that have its operational base in Yoruba Land or housa Land having their headquarters in Niger Delta. Employment of all categories is done at Lagos and Abuja and d tax of all d workers are being deducted at d head office and paid to d state where d headquarters are established. Every now and then u see ppl coming from Lagos and Abuja to resume work at Mobil and most of these ppl are refined illiterate who never sat for interview b4 employment 80 percent of the protesting youths are screened gradiates. Pls don't call us illiterate. The only language this gvt understands is violence.Check history.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by Nobody: 11:06am On Sep 12, 2017
Nigeria
No matter how bad an act is yould see some ppl defending and supportin it.
Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:19am On Sep 12, 2017
Yes. I'm sure a multinational oil company would be attracted to such a civilized community to develop their main base of operation.

While I appreciate the Niger-Delta do have legitimate grievances, they have to start understanding there's a limit to how productive these crude agitations are. Companies like Shell have been divesting their inland assets for sometime now and it should be concerning that Dangote decided to site his multi-billion dollar refinery, the single biggest investment in Nigeria's history, in Lagos even though Lagos produce no oil. He'd much rather increase his costs buying expensive land and laying expensive pipelines in cramped, over-populated, saturated state than invest his money in the ND. This is partly because of security concerns and the reputation of the region hasn't recovered from the days of kidnapping expatriates.

Oil is a finite resource and the value of Nigeria's industry is getting replaced by new extraction methods (like the shale revolution) and renewable energy around the globe. We are in the last years of the oil boom and if I were a Niger Delta citizen, I'd be hoping we create a welcoming business environment to exploit this productive period that is winding down. When your oil is exhausted or becomes redundant, you'll be regretting all your missed opportunities in a region that's fairly barren without oil.
Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:24am On Sep 12, 2017
earthcrust:
I will not blame those who call d youths names on this forum cos they no nothing about how multinational cpnys operate in Nigeria. I am yet to see any extraction company that have its operational base in Yoruba Land or housa Land having their headquarters in Niger Delta. Employment of all categories is done at Lagos and Abuja and d tax of all d workers are being deducted at d head office and paid to d state where d headquarters are established. Every now and then u see ppl coming from Lagos and Abuja to resume work at Mobil and most of these ppl are refined illiterate who never sat for interview b4 employment 80 percent of the protesting youths are screened gradiates. Pls don't call us illiterate. The only language this gvt understands is violence.Check history.

And you think Exxon Mobil, one of the world's largest corporations, would be swayed by youths dropping coffins around their property? They'll just dismiss them as savages and it would only further reinforce their views that the region is not worth establishing their operating base in.
Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by brushesz: 11:27am On Sep 12, 2017
Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by bakynes(m): 11:31am On Sep 12, 2017
Gerrard59:

Well, Uyo is safe also if not the safest capital city East of the Niger. This incident can be frustration induced. Yes, ExxonMobil and subsidiaries have contributed a lot to the state (they have to actually), but having their HQTR in a place far away from their operational base is not fair. Yes, a private firm has the right to cite her HQTR wherever she deems fit, but that does not mean it's ethical. If they need a commercial city to conduct business, Port-Harcourt is there. A HQTR in PH is fair than Lagos.

Same ExxonMobil have their global HQTR in Texas, why not New York or San Francisco? This is because she has most of her operations in the US in Texas.
Like you said you cannot tell a Private company where to site his HQ the only thing they owe the indigenes of Akwa-ibom and the host community is the social responsibility to the community, anything else even the government cannot dictate to them, they are not Nigerian companies and they are doing Nigeria more favour than we are doing them.

Sitting the headquarters in Akwa-ibom doesn't change anything, they pay cooperate tax to the FG only income tax from workers will go to the state govt and that is small considering they don't have more than say 100 staffs in the HQ. They employ every ethnic group in Nigeria regardless of where you are from, it doesn't mean because it is located in Lagos they employ only Yoruba people or if it is located in Akwa-ibom they will employ only Akwa-ibomites.
Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by bakynes(m): 11:36am On Sep 12, 2017
Obi1kenobi:
Yes. I'm sure a multinational oil company would be attracted to such a civilized community to develop their main base of operation.

While I appreciate the Niger-Delta do have legitimate grievances, they have to start understanding there's a limit to how productive these crude agitations are. Companies like Shell have been divesting their inland assets for sometime now and it should be concerning that Dangote decided to site his multi-billion dollar refinery, the single biggest investment in Nigeria's history, in Lagos even though Lagos produce no oil. He'd much rather increase his costs buying expensive land and laying expensive pipelines in cramped, over-populated, saturated state than invest his money in the ND. This is partly because of security concerns and the reputation of the region hasn't recovered from the days of kidnapping expatriates.

Oil is a finite resource and the value of Nigeria's industry is getting replaced by new extraction methods (like the shale revolution) and renewable energy around the globe. We are in the last years of the oil boom and if I were a Niger Delta citizen, I'd be hoping we create a welcoming business environment to exploit this productive period that is winding down. When your oil is exhausted or becomes redundant, you'll be regretting all your missed opportunities in a region that's fairly barren without oil.
You have spoken well but I only fault you when you said Lagos doesn't have oil, 10,000-15,000 bopd of oil is a marginal field and is small but it is still oil and can make revenue for the state and country no matter how little it is.
Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by victorDanladi: 11:39am On Sep 12, 2017
brushesz:

Yes, let it scare the HQ farther away from them and their oil!
no problemgrin
Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by ufuosman(m): 12:22pm On Sep 12, 2017
Settlement
Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by Keneeby(m): 12:33pm On Sep 12, 2017
mapist:

Exactly. They keep yelling about being unemployed; who wants to employ an unqualified and unproductive employee? Anyways, we all know people get jobs in these coys without having to sit for tests so, their expectations do not come as a surprise.

I can't tolerate this trash from you. You mean Akwa Ibomites are not qualified to work with Mobil. You are a total disgrace.
Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by Geesunny: 12:36pm On Sep 12, 2017
People should watch how they comment on issues they are not well informed about . We have very qualified persons that should work in Exxon mobil,all things being equal.
Re: Akwa Ibom Youths Ambush Exxon Mobil With Coffin And Other Traditional Items.PICS by mapist(m): 12:42pm On Sep 12, 2017
Keneeby:

I can't tolerate this trash from you. You mean Akwa Ibomites are not qualified to work with Mobil. You are a total disgrace.

I refuse to exchange words with you. I will not condescend.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We're Ready To Assist PDP Because Of Peter Obi - Ohanaeze Ndigbo Youths To Atiku / We Are Behind You, Oshiomhole’s Mother, Edo North Professionals Tell Osinbajo / 2023: Atiku, Peter Obi, Kwankwaso Have No Integrity – Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.