Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,601 members, 7,812,967 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:16 AM

Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car (29858 Views)

Why Do Most Nigerians Keep Koboko On The Dashboard Of Their Car? / Warning Lights To Observe On The Dashboard. / See The Typical Dashboard Of Danfos In Lagos (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car by AutoJoshNG: 11:17am On Sep 10, 2018

Are you among those when riding on the passenger seat would place their feet on the dashboard in a bid to feel more comfortable?

Are you the type that like the comfort or showoff of putting your leg on the dashboard? Do you feel the leg room is not enough for you?

If your answer to the above questions is yes, then know you’ve been doing the wrong thing as well as putting yourself in danger.

Placing your feet on the dashboard will expose you to danger that may have very serious consequences.
It might be comfortable at first but it can as well leave you with a long lasting injury if something should go wrong.

Airbags deploy between 100 and 220 MPH. If you ride with your feet on the dash and you're involved in an accident, the airbag may send your knees to the back seat.

You may think you can be fast to put them down when something is about to go wrong; you should be aware you're not superhuman. You might not be able to act as fast as needed. It is safer you stick to doing the needful. Don't place your legs on the dashboard of your car.

The ideal sitting position for the safe use of airbag remains using your seat belt and sitting upright.

We will share a story about a lady who paid deaf ears to this warning. She learnt the hard way and now regretting.

Read her story below;

As soon as Audra Tatum would hop into the passenger seat of a car, the mother of three from Walker County, Georgia, would lean back and relax with her feet up on the dashboard.

Her husband warned her about the dangerous habit, but Tatum didn't care — it was comfortable.

"All my life I had my legs crossed and my foot on the dash," Tatum told CBS News. "My husband always told me, 'You're going to get in a wreck someday, and you're going to break your legs.'"

Tatum assured him he was wrong.

"I'll put my foot down in time," she would always reply.

But two years ago, on August 2, 2015, Tatum's perspective changed completely.

The couple was heading to her parents' house about 4 miles away to pick up her two sons when a car pulled in front of her husband and they T-boned him. Everyone was able to walk away from the scene with scrapes and bruises, except for Tatum.

"The airbag went off, throwing my foot up and breaking my nose," Tatum explained. "I was looking at the bottom of my foot facing up at me."

Tatum's ankle, femur and arm were all broken by the impact.

"Basically my whole right side was broken, and it's simply because of my ignorance," Tatum said. "I'm not Superman. I couldn't put my foot down in time."

Tatum underwent several surgeries and weeks of physical therapy. It took her over a month to start walking again.

Two years later, she's still facing obstacles.

"I can't do my career as an EMS. I can't lift patients anymore," she explained. "I can't stand more than 4 hours at a time. Once I'm at that 4-hour mark I'm in tears."

Now the mom is using her story to warn others.

"I keep telling everybody, you don't want this life," she said. "You don't want the pain and agony every day."

https://autojosh.com/dangers-placing-feet-dashboard-car/

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car by JWTheocracy1: 12:34pm On Sep 10, 2018
Wow. Finally I made it to FTC!
Re: Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car by nabegibeg: 12:34pm On Sep 10, 2018
AutoJoshNG:

Are you among those when riding on the passenger seat would place their feet on the dashboard in a bid to feel more comfortable?

Are you the type that like the comfort or showoff of putting your leg on the dashboard? Do you feel the leg room is not enough for you?

If your answer to the above questions is yes, then know you’ve been doing the wrong thing as well as putting yourself in danger.

Placing your feet on the dashboard will expose you to danger that may have very serious consequences.
It might be comfortable at first but it can as well leave you with a long lasting injury if something should go wrong.

Airbags deploy between 100 and 220 MPH. If you ride with your feet on the dash and you're involved in an accident, the airbag may send your knees to the back seat.

You may think you can be fast to put them down when something is about to go wrong; you should be aware you're not superhuman. You might not be able to act as fast as needed. It is safer you stick to doing the needful. Don't place your legs on the dashboard of your car.

The ideal sitting position for the safe use of airbag remains using your seat belt and sitting upright.

We will share a story about a lady who paid deaf ears to this warning. She learnt the hard way and now regretting.

Read her story below;

As soon as Audra Tatum would hop into the passenger seat of a car, the mother of three from Walker County, Georgia, would lean back and relax with her feet up on the dashboard.

Her husband warned her about the dangerous habit, but Tatum didn't care — it was comfortable.

"All my life I had my legs crossed and my foot on the dash," Tatum told CBS News. "My husband always told me, 'You're going to get in a wreck someday, and you're going to break your legs.'"

Tatum assured him he was wrong.

"I'll put my foot down in time," she would always reply.

But two years ago, on August 2, 2015, Tatum's perspective changed completely.

The couple was heading to her parents' house about 4 miles away to pick up her two sons when a car pulled in front of her husband and they T-boned him. Everyone was able to walk away from the scene with scrapes and bruises, except for Tatum.

"The airbag went off, throwing my foot up and breaking my nose," Tatum explained. "I was looking at the bottom of my foot facing up at me."

Tatum's ankle, femur and arm were all broken by the impact.

"Basically my whole right side was broken, and it's simply because of my ignorance," Tatum said. "I'm not Superman. I couldn't put my foot down in time."

Tatum underwent several surgeries and weeks of physical therapy. It took her over a month to start walking again.

Two years later, she's still facing obstacles.

"I can't do my career as an EMS. I can't lift patients anymore," she explained. "I can't stand more than 4 hours at a time. Once I'm at that 4-hour mark I'm in tears."

Now the mom is using her story to warn others.

"I keep telling everybody, you don't want this life," she said. "You don't want the pain and agony every day."

https://autojosh.com/dangers-placing-feet-dashboard-car/

You wey get intention to form big boy or big girl

if this situation ever happens to you see your future in HD

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car by Nathdoug(m): 12:34pm On Sep 10, 2018
Ladies be warned

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car by Nobody: 12:35pm On Sep 10, 2018
I like doing this o
Re: Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car by tstx(m): 12:35pm On Sep 10, 2018
Dangers dey everywhere

Dangers of walking on the street @> you might get hit by a stray bullet.

Dangers of crossing the road @> you might get knocked the Bleep down by a vehicle.

Dangers of using a pedestrian bridge @> you might get thrown off the bridge by a psycho.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car by dangoteinlaw: 12:36pm On Sep 10, 2018
Girls especially love that habit, only those poor girls I ve carried that has not done it in my car

4 Likes

Re: Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car by bedspread: 12:37pm On Sep 10, 2018
Hmmmm
AutoJosh!! Thanks for this Information....

Lessons Learnt

8 Likes

Re: Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car by Nobody: 12:37pm On Sep 10, 2018
Not only ladies.... My big bro does that all the time.

In fact, he refuses to drive most times so he could do that.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car by MooreJozo(m): 12:37pm On Sep 10, 2018
hmmm
Re: Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car by Yian1(m): 12:38pm On Sep 10, 2018
Rainmania:
I like doing this o

Then, keep it up
Re: Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car by Horus(m): 12:41pm On Sep 10, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKYfLck8mkU

Why you should never ride with your feet on the dashboard of a car

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car by Jokkarm2: 12:41pm On Sep 10, 2018
ALL THESE STUPID GIRLS THAT LIKE TO PLACE THEIR DIRTY LEGS ON DASHBOARD TO SHOW OFF, BE WARNED. ANY WAY, NO SENSIBLE AND WELL TRAINED GIRL WILL DO THAT . JUST THOSE ONCE THAT WORSHIP CARS, ANY TIME A GUY STOP A CAR TO SAY HI THEY ARE ALREADY WET.THEY ARE THE ONE DOING THAT .

5 Likes

Re: Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car by Sirpaul(m): 12:43pm On Sep 10, 2018
Ladies una hear.....
Re: Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car by AgentGoat: 12:44pm On Sep 10, 2018
The thing dey sweet women eh cheesy
Re: Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car by remymartyn: 12:44pm On Sep 10, 2018
How many cars have airbags in Nigeria undecided
Re: Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car by neweraomo: 12:44pm On Sep 10, 2018
RIP TO THE DEAD
Re: Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car by popweezy(m): 12:50pm On Sep 10, 2018
neweraomo:
RIP TO THE DEAD
I UNDERSTAND YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO READ BUT YOU SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST NOT COMMENT OUT OF IGNORANCE...WHAT DO YOU THINK

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car by Nobody: 12:50pm On Sep 10, 2018
Yian1:

Then, keep it up
No wan na just to break one leg. I hop with the other one grin
Re: Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car by dammyzee1(m): 12:51pm On Sep 10, 2018
Oh thats not good
Re: Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car by harveyosho1(m): 1:04pm On Sep 10, 2018
remymartyn:
How many cars have airbags in Nigeria undecided
I understand where u are coming from�
Re: Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car by waalay(m): 1:07pm On Sep 10, 2018
RIP TO THE DEAD

seriously?! u dont have to comment u knw...expecially whn we dont read d posts.
Re: Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car by Nobody: 1:13pm On Sep 10, 2018
Hmm... Putting legs on dashboard can even distract a male driver (especially the bf or husband).
Re: Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car by chukwutope: 1:21pm On Sep 10, 2018
In Nigeria even the drivers put their feet up the dashboard
Re: Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car by excomarow(m): 1:25pm On Sep 10, 2018
Just dey imagine the impact....

It well with me and you IJN
Re: Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car by snipesdam(m): 1:32pm On Sep 10, 2018
I have been warning someone about this lately... thank God the person is listening... Immediately we enter car especially long distance travel foots straight on the dashboard.

(1) (2) (Reply)

15 Interesting Facts About Armoured Vehicles That Most People Might Not Know / How Has The Ban On Tinted Glasses Affected You? / Ondo State Auto Rally Ends As Car Almost Got Burnt During Competition (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.