Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,740 members, 7,820,549 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:58 PM

Agitation For Dangote Refinery In Niger Delta: Taking Ignorance To Another Level - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Agitation For Dangote Refinery In Niger Delta: Taking Ignorance To Another Level (446 Views)

Edo Modular Refinery In Pictures: A Product Of MOU / Aliko Dangote & Zainab Ahmed Visit The Oil Refinery In Lagos / PMB Infrastructure: Modular Refinery In Ogbele, Rivers State Almost Ready. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Agitation For Dangote Refinery In Niger Delta: Taking Ignorance To Another Level by Opinionated: 3:12pm On Sep 15, 2017
By Jarus

I recently came across a piece of news titled Niger Delta Group to sue Dangote for siting Refinery in Lagos

This is one of the many pieces of news you read in Nigeria and feel like knocking sense into some people. This is height of ignorance in the name of activism.

Pray, how can you force a private businessman on where to locate his business?

And can someone tell these ignoramuses that this is not a crude oil or oil field matter? This is by no stretch an upstream matter. This man just wants to be buying crude oil from the the upstream operators in Niger Delta and elsewhere and processing into fuel products (petrol, kerosene, diesel, aviation fuel etc) and resell the products.

Who tells a customer (not producer) to locate his business in source of supply? It may not even be the sole source of supply. He may even have to import crude from other countries.

Perhaps they should tell the Indian refineries (who are Dangote’s competitors in this business) currently buying and processing our crude to also relocate to Niger Delta.

It is less ridiculous to tell Chevron or Exxon that, because they are upstream operators and need to “dig the soil” of the Niger Delta to produce oil.

It even makes little sense to present the argument to FG on NNPC Kaduna refinery, which can be argued to be financed with “oil money” and more cost-ineffective to transport the crude (with taxpayers’ money) to such a long distance before refining.

But what is your case against a Dangote refinery whose only business will be to buy the crude and doesn’t have to adversely impact your environment as this is not about crude production from the earth? Is it your money? He doesn’t have to touch your soil so you can’t accuse him of environmental degradation.

A simple analogy: If I go to the cassava market in Warri to buy cassava to bring to my cassava processing plant in Lagos, how can you lump me up with cassava farmers in damage done to your soil by cassava farmers in Warri? Did I also dig your soil in Warri cassava farms? On what basis will you force me to compensate you for damage to your soil by cassava farmers by establishing my own garri factory too in your locality? Did you see any hoe for my hand? I may not even own a plot of land in your farmland.

Perhaps these guys need more education.

http://www.opinions.ng/agitation-dangote-refinery-niger-delta-taking-ignorance-another-level/

cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Agitation For Dangote Refinery In Niger Delta: Taking Ignorance To Another Level by GavelSlam: 3:19pm On Sep 15, 2017
Well written, well said.

Following the average thought pattern associated with us Nigerians, you realise we are largely deficient in critical reasoning.

We have been imbued with the spirit of envy and complaint. Many are programmed to believe somehow somewhere someone is cheating them of their rights.

The road is rough but we need a pedagogical change. We need an uplift in how we x-ray issues.
We need to end this excessive bitterness.

1 Like

Re: Agitation For Dangote Refinery In Niger Delta: Taking Ignorance To Another Level by Nobody: 3:22pm On Sep 15, 2017
jankara news

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians Wait For Direction - Reno Omokri React As Buhari Plan To Travel / Why Is Nigeria FANTASTICALLY CORRUPT? / See The Main Reason BIAFRA Has To Be Restored-ex-senate President EBUTE Tells UN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.