Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,394 members, 7,836,587 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian (2225 Views)

Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters / Aisha Eniola Is An Elected Councillor In London / Boko Haram: 50 Lawyers To Storm The Hague For Prosecution Of Sheriff, Ihejirika (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by AloyEmeka5: 10:02pm On Feb 28, 2010
My goal is to become first black councillor in The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian
By Emma Amaize, Reporting from the Hague in Netherlands
Sunday, February 28, 2010
* Says Nigeria has a lot to learn from Dutch politics

[img]http://odili.net/news/source/2010/feb/28/vanguard/images/OsujiHague[1].jpg[/img]
Osuji

A Nigerian from Mbaise in Imo State, Chief T. Osuji, is on the verge of making history in The Hague, Netherlands as the first black African elected councilor. He is contesting the March 3 election in The Hague on the platform of the Unie van Democraten (Union of Democrats) and is the toast of blacks and Dutch citizens.

Sunday Vanguard met Osuji at The Hague in the thick of his campaign and he took time off to speak on his mission: Excerpts:

So, what are you into here in Netherlands?

I have an organization here, Reach Africa Foundation, and we are into trying to mobilizing financial and material resources to assist the less privileged in Netherlands and Africa too and that graduated me to the political arena where I am today. I am contesting election on the platform of Unie van Democrten, meaning Union of Democrats in English and I am contesting as a councilor in the city of The Hague.

The election will be on 3 March. I hope I will win because I have a lot of people behind me and, if I win, I will automatically be the first black African in the city of The Hague to become a councilor.

How long have you been here?

I have been here for 10 to 11 years.

Have you been involved in politics here?

Yes, I started from my organization and then I started writing papers, policy papers to the various governments here from the European level. I organized a lot of conferences and seminars at different levels and places around Europe.

And then, I was called by my mentor, a Syrian man, Ehepmed Daskapan, and he is the chairperson of the former party, called Green-link and then he is now the chairperson of the party I am in now. I have been in the party for six years. I wanted to contest election, four years ago, but I said let me shuttle down a little bit because I needed to know more about the language and other things that are involved.

What kind of discrimination do blacks face here?

Well, I will think that in politics, I do not see what I don’t see in any other place here. Everywhere, there is discrimination and racism. But I think that this country is one of the best countries in Europe as far as politics is concerned. I know that if I am living in Germany , it is not possible that I will contest this election but here it’s a very good multi-cultural country. I won’t say it is an overstatement to say there is no discrimination but it’s not significant.

Is there anything happening in Dutch politics that Nigeria should learn from?

A lot, in fact, that is one of my objectives. I actually want to be used to the Dutch system of politics, it is very clear and transparent. This is a country where whatever they want to do, it is tabled. For example now, if I win as a councilor, I will be under two persons, two offices really, the Office of the Mayor of the Hague and the second is the immediate Office of the Mayor, we call them Burger Master.

The councillorship office is the third position in hierarchy and they are the leader, but, our job is to say no whenever they feel that we control them. We will control them when they give instruction and we say no when we feel it’s not good. It will be debated if we disagree and it is when we say it’s good they will adopt it. It’s good for our country to learn it. I know people will say Nigeria is a democratic country but here is pure democracy and we have a lot to learn.

Are you hopeful you will win this election?

I think I have a lot of support from the African community living in The Hague. My organization has been doing a lot of things for Africans living here. We share food items because sometimes there is poverty here for Africans who do not have homes and jobs. We try to give them food every week, which carries them to the other week. We give those who do not have houses accommodation to lay their heads. We have been doing this for a very long time and this is what gave me popularity in the African community here. I have their support, and even the other migrants and the Dutch society. People want a change and some of us have contributed a lot to the community.

Challenges?

My party is a new party carved out of the old party – that is a challenge for me and, again, we have the issue of not speaking very fluent Dutch because you know, as foreigners, we cannot be very fluent in the language. That is a little bit of handicap but, at the same time, we are doing our best. My slogan is that experience has shown that things are difficult and it is not easy to go by but it is always possible. I am a person who believe that threats can be changed to opportunities and that is how I feel.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/feb/28/304.html
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by riversman: 10:06pm On Feb 28, 2010
i read this somewhere on friday, angry

Dead @ him tryna be 1st Black Councillor in a Netherlands city, hisss, when ur own country needs the political experience that he may have, shiooor

What wont Ibo men in EUROPE do??
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by RichDad1(m): 9:57am On Mar 01, 2010
^^^ Dumb
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by riversman: 10:15am On Mar 01, 2010
@Rich Dad - oponu oshi, hidiot grin
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by AloyEmeka5: 11:47am On Mar 01, 2010
riversman:

i read this somewhere on friday,  angry

Dead @ him tryna be 1st Black Councillor in a Netherlands city, hisss, when your own country needs the political experience that he may have, shiooor

What wont Ibo men in EUROPE do
?? 

Think outside the box for once.
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by Nobody: 12:13pm On Mar 01, 2010
Kudos to Osuji
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by Ganjaseed: 4:51pm On Mar 01, 2010
Fellows !! This guy stand the chance of becoming the counselor of Den haag. He is not the first to rise to this level in the Dutch Government from the African background, but he is de first Nigerian as far as I know. We have had a Somalia girl as a law maker b4 which has been the highest till now. I would have voted for him if I was living in Denhaag. But come to think of it, how many Nigerians has the correct document to vote for this guy? May God help you Brother!!!!!
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by Nobody: 5:11pm On Mar 01, 2010
What the hell is this, concillor in hague and the guy is so happy about it.concillor are nobody anywhere,they form just a little part in government.this guy should raise his standard or he should come home and contest for senate or governor of imo, concillor ko,chairman ni
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by AndreUweh(m): 10:00pm On Mar 01, 2010
@BLUE: Mr Osuji does not live in Imo State. He is contesting for a position where he lives. If the voters says he is the right candidate, I am sure, you will not stop him. Enemy of progress.
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by MrCrackles(m): 10:01pm On Mar 01, 2010
Osuji goodluck. . . . .
Defo gona be a tough one me thinks. . . .
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by Nobody: 10:12pm On Mar 01, 2010
Andre Uweh:

@BLUE: Mr Osuji does not live in Imo State. He is contesting for a position where he lives. If the voters says he is the right candidate, I am sure, you will not stop him. Enemy of progress.
lwkmd, next time he should contest for some thing tangible.obama started from somewhere far ahead of being a local government councillor
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by AloyEmeka5: 10:37pm On Mar 01, 2010
~Bluetooth:

What the hell is this, concillor in hague and the guy is so happy about it.concillor are nobody anywhere,they form just a little part in government.this guy should raise his standard or he should come home and contest for senate or governor of imo, concillor ko,chairman ni

Mumu, why not check the meaning of their own Councillor before calling the office rubbish?. You think it's the same with the Nigerian type of Councillorship?
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by asha80(m): 10:41pm On Mar 01, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Mumu, why not check the meaning of their own Councillor before calling the office rubbish?. You think it's the same with the Nigerian type of Councillorship?

I wonder y u even bother with bluetooth.Does he type like an educated person?
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by riversman: 12:19am On Mar 02, 2010
@Aloy Emeka - c'mon shattap, wat do u kno about a councillor
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by RichyBlacK(m): 12:23am On Mar 02, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Even my four-year old niece makes more sense than this zombie.
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by AloyEmeka5: 6:04am On Mar 02, 2010
RichyBlacK:

The guy is a retard. may be the German Chancellor should be the same thing as the Nigeria's university chancellors. grin grin grin grin
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by AloyEmeka5: 2:38pm On Mar 02, 2010
asha 80:

I wonder y u even bother with bluetooth.Does he type like an educated person?

My mistake. I wouldn't waste my time addressing him any longer.
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by Nobody: 3:26pm On Mar 02, 2010
RichyBlacK:

Aloy+Emeka:

The guy is a retard. may be the German Chancellor should be the same thing as the Nigeria's university chancellors. grin grin grin grin
you guys are real m o r o n s.the guy is contesting for a councillorship position in the city of hague and he himself confirmed that he'd be answerable to the mayor who is the equivalent of local government chairman.so many illiterates on NL.
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by RichyBlacK(m): 3:37pm On Mar 02, 2010
~Bluetooth:

you guys are real m o r o n s.the guy is contesting for a councillorship position in the city of hague and he himself confirmed that he'd be answerable to the mayor who is the equivalent of local government chairman.so many illiterates on NL.

Why is this fool blaming us for his lazy a.s.s not completing primary school. Go and learn to read and write. Anuofia!
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by Nobody: 3:51pm On Mar 02, 2010
~Bluetooth:

@ Bluetooth

Just shut up for your own good. At least you should be happy that a Nigerian is contesting for a public office in a foreign land. If he wins, do you know what it means to Nigerians there? Have you thought about better programs it could bring, not to talk about the interest of Hardworking Nigerian being protected.

Think before you open your mouth to talk. Their councillorship is not like what obtains here in Nigeria.
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by Nobody: 3:53pm On Mar 02, 2010
RichyBlacK:

Why is this fool blaming us for his lazy a.s.s not completing primary school. Go and learn to read and write. Anuofia!
ode.i wont blame you.you got carried away on hearing that an igbo an from imo state is seeking to become a councillor.eiya pele
cnario:

@ Bluetooth

Just shut up for your own good. At least you should be happy that a Nigerian is contesting for a public office in a foreign land. If he wins, do you know what it means to Nigerians there? Have you thought about better programs it could bring, not to talk about the interest of Hardworking Nigerian being protected.

Think before you open your mouth to talk. Their councillorship is not like what obtains here in Nigeria.
abeg tell me the difference between a mayor and a local govt chairman
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by Nobody: 4:07pm On Mar 02, 2010
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by Nobody: 4:39pm On Mar 02, 2010
~Bluetooth:

abeg tell me the difference between a mayor and a local govt chairman

They might be the same in structure, but you and I know they function differently. While LG Chairmanship has become another ceremonial office to enable money looting in Nigeria, it is not the same outside. I can bet you that most mayors perform better than our so-called governors. So you cannot begin to compare the two.

My point really, is that the Osuji guy should be encouraged because it will mean a great deal of good for Nigerians over there.
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by Fhemmmy: 4:41pm On Mar 02, 2010
That is really nice and i wish he wins.
At least nice to hear something great and nice about our people.
Goodluck
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by Nobody: 4:49pm On Mar 02, 2010
cnario:

They might be the same in structure, but you and I know they function differently. While LG Chairmanship has become another ceremonial office to enable money looting in Nigeria, it is not the same outside. I can bet you that most mayors perform better than our so-called governors. So you cannot begin to compare the two.

My point really, is that the Osuji guy should be encouraged because it will mean a great deal of good for Nigerians over there.
it's so unnecesary arguing further anyways i wish him success in his pursuit.
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by AndreUweh(m): 6:24pm On Mar 02, 2010
MrCrackles:

Osuji goodluck. . . . .
Defo gona be a tough one me thinks. . . .
THANKS.
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by mekusxxx: 6:38pm On Mar 02, 2010
Folks,

Bluetooth (blurred tooth) is angry because the contestant is not Yoruba. Replace Osuji with Abiola and pronto, Blurredtooth will become happiness personified. Most Yorubas in Holland are asylum-seeking (Aduro) drug courierers anyways.
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by Fhemmmy: 6:43pm On Mar 02, 2010
mekusxxx:

Folks,

Bluetooth (blurred tooth) is angry because the contestant is not Yoruba. Replace Osuji with Abiola and pronto, Blurredtooth will become happiness personified. Most Yorubas in Holland are asylum-seeking (Aduro) drug courierers anyways.

Just hope that the kinda hatred you have for an entire tribe will not be transfered into your children.
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by mekusxxx: 6:50pm On Mar 02, 2010
^^^^^^
What is hatred about speaking the truth that most Yorubas in Holland are aduros and hence cannot even dream of contesting for the lowest position in the land? They, together with a few of my Igbo brothers, survive by drug couriering. That is a fact not equitable to any perceived hatred. I know them very well having lived in Holland for a reasonable lenght of time.
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by Nobody: 6:52pm On Mar 02, 2010
mekusxxx:

Folks,

congratulations on the nomination of your igbo brother as a COUNCILLOR candidate!!!happy now?
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by mekusxxx: 7:05pm On Mar 02, 2010
~Bluetooth:

congratulations on the nomination of your igbo brother as a COUNCILLOR candidate!!!happy now?

Ode! You aren't smart at all, you know. How many Dutch people are councillors or can ever contemplate being so in Nigeria?
Re: My Goal Is To Become First Black Councillor In The Hague — Osuji, Nigerian by Nobody: 8:12pm On Mar 02, 2010
mekusxxx:

Ode! You aren't smart at all, you know. How many Dutch people are councillors or can ever contemplate being so in Nigeria?
so smart people start from councillor abi?, obama was lucky then.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Girl Shot Dead In "Great" Britain / Jonathan Appoints Eze Duruiheoma To Replace Festus Odimegwu As NPC Chair / BREAKING: Cash Aircraft- MURIC Suspects Conspiracy Against Nigeria Muslim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.