Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,651 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:48 PM

Nigeria And Core National Values - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria And Core National Values (6378 Views)

Photos Of Nnamdi Kanu's Dog, Jack That He Values More Than IPOB Members / House Of Reps Returns CRK, Splits Religious And National Values / Does Anyone Has Ebook For Religion And National Values (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria And Core National Values by Moneyboyz: 6:11pm On Sep 16, 2017
Welcome everyone to this educative thread.
I believe some of us has come across this in school and for those who haven't and I those who have and forgot. Let's see what Nigerians core values should have been instead of what we have now.

Every nation strive to define core cultural values, such core values mould,guide,control and moderate national behavior of the citizenry's. USA has fair play as a core value.

Nigeria's core values suppose to be "UNITY IN DIVERSITY, ENTRENCHED IN JUSTICE AND FAIR PLAY". At least the Constitution says so.
Unfortunately her diversity rather than unite write the nations component parts, further tear them apart because Justice and fair play that suppose to mould it is missing.

The result is the absence of core national values that can moderate and control the behavior of Nigerians irrespective of ethnicity. Rather than have core national values, Nigeria tend to have regional or ethnic values. Allegiance is to the region or ethnic state rather than to Nigeria nation.

An extension of the above result is that Nigeria is drying installmentally. It's being killed by her constituent part. My question is if Nigeria dies,will her constituent parts not die with it?

Why is it that after 57 years of Independence, Nigeria as not been able to evolve core values? I shall endeavour to answer the above in my own way

REASONS FOR THE ABSENCE OF CORE NATIONAL VALUES IN NIGERIA

1. Nations evolve and not created. In the case of Nigeria Nation,it was manufactured by the British colonial masters.

2. True federalism emerge when neighbouring sperate states voluntarily decide to come together to have a single Central government for the benefit of strength in number. In which case they merely surrender over part of their former power to the central without totally losing their formal identity or autonomy.

In the case of Nigeria,the component states are appendages of central government with their autonomy completely lost.

1. Suspicions and mistrust arising from cultural differences, variance in rate of development and abrupt unification.

2. Rigid ethnic cleavages that leads to absence of National consciousness and commitment.

3. Absence of fair play from the polity Justice and fair play quality on paper and very much absent in practice.

4. Problems arising from diversities, diversity itself is a problem because it makes national cohesion difficult.

5. Inability of leadership to satisfy the needs of followership.

6. Leadership insincerity be m manifesting as CORRUPTION,FAVOURITISM and promotion of MEDIOCRITY.

7. Absence of National love and care.

8. Military incursion into governance prevented evolvement of core national values. What we have is military values such as rigid hierarchy order,force and aggression.

FACT THAT FAVOURS EVOLVEMENT OF CORE VALUES

I will not conclude this chapter without making suggestions as to how Nigeria can evolve her core values.

1. People should have the right to decide which group they want to belong to. Therefore there should be National forum where it can be debated as to the nature of the union, whether to be or not to be and at what cost. This is how true federalism can emerge. Once there is true federalism, core national values will evolve with it.

2. Transparent Justice and fair play will remove suspicion and mistrust,and replace this with tolerance and national acceptance which were the ingredients for core values to evolve.

3. Leadership should create the enabling environment for the maximum realisation of citizenship potentialities. This is one thing nations that have core values have in common, E.g USA, Japan etc.

4. Satisfaction of citizenry's Needs by leaders in quick step to the environment of core values. The jingle that says "Think of what you can do for your country and not what your country can do for you" has relevance only in countries where the basic psychological needs and all other Necessaries of life are not only satisfies but guaranteed. This position is supported by another saying that "The hungry cannot assimilate pastoral teaching".

5. Governance is service to Humanity. If only our leaders can drop their garbage of insincerity,stop serving their pockets and stomach and show that they care. then our sore values would readily evolve. ( Imagine senators fighting over allowance after their fat monthly payment)

6. The Nigerian Constitution pronounced us citizens irrespective of which part of the we chose to live. But this is only on paper,the sense of insecurities that invade people's mind when they live away from home should be modified. This can be done by dismantling all symbols that constantly remind people that they don't belong.

7. Military incursion into government should stop. As citizens,they are free to become professional politician's after leaving the service. But to be professional soldiers and professional politician's simultaneously is not good enough for soldiering and the nation. Their absence from the scene will hasten the development of core national values. (See thee case of IPOB vs President Muhammed/Nigerian army clash.

Nigeria is in chaos today because of the above reasons I stated.

It's time we make a change (Not APC type of change).
Thank you all for coming, please share your views via the comment section.

Thank you.

Cc Seun
Lalasticlala
Re: Nigeria And Core National Values by Moneyboyz: 6:14pm On Sep 16, 2017
Cc Seun
Lalasticlala

It's been 3 years already, abed help me move this to front page
Re: Nigeria And Core National Values by akinade28(f): 6:24pm On Sep 16, 2017
One nation bound in freedom, peace and unity
Re: Nigeria And Core National Values by Moneyboyz: 6:47pm On Jul 27, 2018
I wrote this stuff with my hands for hours, please let people see and be enlightened
Re: Nigeria And Core National Values by jargooflife912(m): 8:12am On Dec 24, 2019
hello boss
Re: Nigeria And Core National Values by socialmediaman: 8:12am On Dec 24, 2019
You’re writing to minds which are made up against each other. The founding fathers kept it divided, unfortunately the sins and curses of fathers traverse their generations
Re: Nigeria And Core National Values by mumumugu(m): 9:08am On Dec 24, 2019
a forced marriage will hardly know peaxe

(1) (Reply)

Great Riot Breaks Out In Lekki, Hausas And Yorubas At War (photos) / Aggrieved senators may demand probe of N264bn budget hike / Major Patrick Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.