Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,766 members, 7,824,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:07 AM

Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss (4308 Views)

BREAKING: Rochas Okorocha Set To Join PDP, Says APC Has Marginalized Him / We Are Highly Marginalized In South West - Yoruba Elders / Igbos Are Being Marginalized And This Is Evidence - Reno Omokri. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by Nobody: 7:34am On Sep 18, 2017
(This is quite an interesting and intelligent article written a few years ago by Emeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu Jr., son of the great OJUKWU. It is still as valid as ever.)
IGBOS BE CAREFUL!
The whole Nigeria is aggrieved. Igbos are tactically getting set up again to lead the pack for expressing the grievances...
IGBOS BE CAREFUL!
Only few people remember that the first Nigeria coup led by Nzeogwu, which is fraudulently tagged "Igbo Coup" comprised young chaps from practically all the regions in Nigeria and was a response to the chaos in the WEST as a result of the aftermath of 1965 elections. The active participants in that chaos later aligned with the Federal Government to churn out deadly policies on you...
IGBOS BE CAREFUL!
If Nigerians are really tired of this non-working structure we have run for almost half a century, they should collectively come together and renegotiate the union; nobody should make you the senior prefect of that agitation again. The last time you led and demanded for such restructuring, the whole nation fought against you to keep their "dear Nigeria" the way it is. I can bet they will do it again. I overheard some of your next-door neighbours asking, "Why are they really protesting?"...
IGBOS BE CAREFUL!
Under a renegotiated Nigeria, you are the most advantaged, you will have the whole nation as your field to express your ingenuity. You have invested blood, personal structures, money and spread into the project called Nigeria more than those who JUST "mouth-ically" parrot their love for Nigeria... While you do the the practical of ONE NIGERIA, most others only talk about it ...
IGBOS BE CAREFUL!
From United nations, NASA, Microsoft, CNN, Hollywood, Nollywood, Manchester City, ARSENAL, Chelsea, House of Lords, House of Commons, White House to major hospitals in the US and UK and anywhere solution is needed, you have proved that wherever humans are gathered and brain is the requirement, your head can never be bowed. Therefore, you have nothing actually to prove to anyone...
IGBOS BE CAREFUL!
The whole nation is groaning under the current structure we run. When the groan has gotten to a boiling point, we all will demand collectively for renegotiation of this abusive relationship we are having in the name of nationhood. Dare not lead this call. The last time you did, other people chose to mend fences and made a scapegoat out of you...
IGBOS BE CAREFUL!
The same way your businesses thrive in Saudi Arabia, Indonesia and Chad, under a restructured or fragmented Nigeria, your business can still thrive anywhere...
IGBOS BE CAREFUL!
Your prestigious sons and daughters championed the course of six geo-political zones, championed the course of 13% derivation for the benefit of your neighbours and still champion the course of resource control and fiscal federalism, but I have seen you also struggle so much to explain to both neighbours and outsiders that you are not interested in their resources but rather interested in being allowed to explore your rich human capital and ingenuity without any orchestrated hindrances...
IGBOS BE CAREFUL!
I have seen how some Igbo sons and daughters struggle to sound patriotic even if it means sounding silly and their kith and kin in neighbouring states beg not to be identified with their Igbo roots because it will save them from some "special treatment" reserved for Igbos, and it always never does. Don't let another setback happen...
IGBOS BE CAREFUL!
Our major need now is an emergence of a leader figure with the courage of Ojukwu, wisdom of M. I. Okpara and the sagacity of Chuba Okadigbo, yet endowed with tamed emotions to steer our pride and productivity into a common force and also lead us into demanding redress for perceived injustice...
IGBOS BE CAREFUL!
I REPEAT, if Nigeria is tired, when Nigeria is tired of running an unprofitable structure, we shall be ready for the way forward; we shall be ready for renegotiation.
BUT NEVER AGAIN will your blood be used as a specimen to test how "united" Nigeria can be in fighting her "enemy".
IGBOS BE CAREFUL
Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by Michael004: 8:04am On Sep 18, 2017
bilms:

This is an opportunity for you to bring forth you arguement.

As at the time of civil war, igbo had 2 presidents. Hausa has none, Yoruba has none, Fulani has none. Can we say igbo are marginalizing them at that period?

If not, why is igbo claiming marginalization simply because other tribes are simply being represented as igbo had been represented?

This is an open discussion.

Feel free to bring forth your arguement. You are most welcome. One love
Fantastic question.
Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by bilms(m): 8:15am On Sep 18, 2017
embarassed
Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by UfuomaUN(m): 8:25am On Sep 18, 2017
deomelo:
1. Marginalization is in the eyes of the beholder.

2. During the last administration, ibo people did not see or hear anything about marginalization because they were content and satisfied with the man and the party they love and voted for and even dominated that administration with their sons and daughters in the cabinet and all over the agencies as directors and so on.

3. You mentioned airports. Stella Oduah, ibo daughter of the soil was not only a mover and shaker in that administration, she was the aviation minister with billions of dollars at her disposal including billions in Chinese loans for airport construction and renovation.

4. The question is, why didn't she use her influence to build a new airport from scratch in the SE instead of refurbishing the old landing strip they mislabeled international airport to deceive SE'ners.

5. You sons and daughters are part of every administration in Nigeria so if it is your believe that the FG is marginalizing you, it means your own sons and daughters as part of that administration are marginalizing you also since they did not lift a finger to direct federal projects and infrastructures to your their regions.

6. Your elected and appointed leaders at the federal level are responsible for your region, it is their job to direct federal projects to your region so hold them accountable instead of blaming and crucifying people in other regions. The people in other regions are not obligated to look out for you because they are sent there to look out for their own people.

7. Still on airports. You can build all the airports you want in every corner of SE, it won't matter or improve anything because market forces, supply and demand dictates where and how people do business and make money. The fact that I have 2 airports, 1 in front of mu house and another in the back of my house doesn't mean anything unless I have huge market and buying population with disposable income to sell to.

8. There's more to doing business and economic activities than airport and we can see this already with the international airport they already have in that region. Why are ibo business people all over Nigeria taking advantage of that airport to boost economic activities in that region?

The demand is not there because your business people don't see any economic advantage in that region. PERIOD.

9. Still on airport.

If airports are so important to that region, why are the governors in that region not joining forces together to build their own airport? Must the FG build airports for you especially when other states are building their own themselves?

You want us to believe that you are the richest, you are the smartest and you own everything in Nigeria, but you still can not build ordinary airport or construct a little 2nd NB yourself and you are the one shouting marginalization.

10. [img]http://1.bp..com/-H72rpxqQ0Ts/VEaeT37YYAI/AAAAAAABObs/2NHgV7XMPvc/s1600/c.jpg[/img]

[img]http://1.bp..com/-9j_I5fhJES0/VEaeF2gE8nI/AAAAAAABOak/012Tmpfl7fc/s1600/a.jpg[/img]

This is Dutse international airport, built by the state government.

These are the same Hausa people you love to hate and abuse, but they are showing that they are more capable than you at the state level.

They are moving ahead without siting around like lazy people shouting marginalization.

The state governors in the East collects taxes and allocations just like the rest of Nigeria so when was the last time the average ibo man ask their state governors what they did or are doing with their taxes and allocations?

Never, they don't ask their leaders for anything because they've been mentally programmed that it is the job of the FG to do everything for them and people from other regions in the FG are the bad people denying them everything. They will kill themselves over Osun state and demand accountability from Aregbe before asking their own leaders anything even thought the same Aregbe is building his own state airport even though it's taking him forever to complete, but he has the vision and audacity to start construction instead of crying marginalization.

Your future should be in your own hand, not in other people's hands

Marginalization is what lazy and incompetent people shout to divert away from their laziness and incompetence.

The Imo airport was built by the state govt in the 80s with contributions from almost everyone in the state. so
They're about three airports in the south east with another about to be built so

The anger of the average ibo is that no one has paid for the numerous blood letting in the North under the guise of religion. That is it for me
Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by GoldNiagara(m): 8:29am On Sep 18, 2017
deomelo:

You can do better by stating exactly how the SE is marginalized.

Please educate us.

That is the real question. Furnish us with facts and stats viz a viz Igbo contribution to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by UfuomaUN(m): 8:51am On Sep 18, 2017
I think the main issue the igbos have with Nigeria is the country isn't working and no one else has the guts to call for a change except them. The North is ok with whatever Nigeria is as long as the can practise their religion in peace and get free trips to Mecca for haij. The west don't really have a single voice ( as u can see on nairaland). Half of them see the country for what it is - a backward moving chariot. The other half are afraid of a change. Only the south east and south South are truly tired of Nigeria
Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by Michael004: 9:14am On Sep 18, 2017
[s]
Realman87:

Mr man, you are from Kwara state. What is your interest in this matter. Only today, there have been over 7 threads on igbos. I wonder whether nothing else can be discussed here but igbos/ipob/biafra.

Oya, foolish igbos jump on the thread opened by a Yoruba busybody.
[/s]Contribute with sense mumu.
Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by Michael004: 9:48am On Sep 18, 2017
LoudNdclear:
In my opinion the ibos have been marginalised for too long, I am not talking about nothing producing a president or vice for the past 50years.

First I am talking about the inhuman treatment melted on the average ibo man, in the area of sme for instance, those of us running such enterprise see the "ibo man" as your one and only competitor, thus we hear words like "wetin u no fit try for onitsha or aba no try am for Here" or "if you give them chance they go carry your customer" this leads to hatred in the long run.

Secondly An average ibo man is seen as an orphan especially in the northern part of the country, over the years the northerners and the ibos have been at loggerheads.... about 2 or 3 years ago in kaduna state, i unfortunately witnessed a bloody massacre of the ibos in broad day light, they were killed in bold blood and shops burnt to the ground, till date not one of the perpetrators of such evil act was arrested or prosecuted.

The truth be told, you all know every ibo man in the northern part of the country lives in fear, no one should live in fear in his or her own country.

Thirdly Judging from all what I see in this country, I think there is a deliberate attempt to under populate the ibos in the northern part of the country and under develop the south Easter part of the country, this can be seems clearly in the way Aba and Nnewi have been treated, these highly industrious cities could have been the China of Africa if they only they got the support required, but rather the government turned a blind eye to the ingenuity of the people, pay a visit to these cities and you will shocked at how under developed it is, not even a single airport in these cities, yet some cities with zero commercial activities have an international airport...........

How much more suffering do you want them to endure before they clamour for a change?

NB- I am not an an ibo man, and I see nothing wrong in calling for a referendum but not the way Nnamdi Kanu is going about it....

Can you name the cities with zero commercial activities that have international airport you claimed?

2 Likes

Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by bilms(m): 9:50am On Sep 18, 2017
?
Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by Nobody: 7:20pm On Sep 18, 2017
bilms:

But this is exactly what happened under GEJ and Igbo were beneficiaries, while Yoruba were victims.

When the table turned, it shouldn't bring much noise.
was GEJ's tenure a family affair?
This is more a family admin than any democratic govt since inception of democracy.
Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by FearGodinall: 7:48pm On Sep 18, 2017
Alariwo2:
They are very greedy SIMPLE!

What good came out of GEJ (mainly Igbo cabinet) rule? Nothing.
Instead they looted the country dry, stashing dollars away in foreign accounts, buying properties abroad amongst other atrocities. All these combined led the country into recession and almost collapsed our economy.

Not a single road was constructed in the SE, not even repair works were carried out on any. And these dunces want us to blame APC and Buhari over GEJ.
Foolish hypocrites.
What good has actually came out of the certificate less model of incompetence, how many roads has been constructed and commissioned by your symbol of foolishness, within Abuja, what new thing has your stark nama done to add beauty to the beautiful works going on before he came? Before you tag me ipod. Am never one and never going to one because personally I don't even like them but I have to talk to your empty skull that living together is not by force, the same is happening all over the world, for instance as in spain, us UK just to mention a few. Next try to be objective in your analysis and not the way sounded.
Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by LoudNdclear: 7:04pm On Sep 19, 2017
Michael004:
Can you name the cities with zero commercial activities that have international airport you claimed?

You want make they send Nigeria army after me?
Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by Nationalman: 7:29pm On Sep 19, 2017
Piiko:
has King of the North given any reasonable appointment to people of the South East minus ministers that the constitution makes mandatory, he is a disaster, very outdated and vengeful, I only like how he has curbed corruption, See how Afonjas are masturbating over the hacking to death of harmless IPOB members, Nigeria as it is is a sickening contraption many empty skulls spewing trash all over the cyber space
this is one of the stupid thought process we keep having. those that were given post in the previous government from the east.what did they do for their people

1 Like

Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by Nobody: 7:37pm On Sep 19, 2017
Nationalman:
this is one of the stupid thought process we keep having. those that were given post in the previous government from the east.what did they do for their people
Mr Asshole never in the history of this country has a president glaringly made lopsided appointments without any attempt to ensure a balance among all the major geopolitical zones
Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by Nationalman: 7:57pm On Sep 19, 2017
Piiko:
Mr Asshole never in the history of this country has a president glaringly made lopsided appointments without any attempt to ensure a balance among all the major geopolitical zones
And you Mr mumu-nado.have you tried looking at the various post he made appoints into who were the previous occupants and the region they came from?.many of the positions were filled by mainly southerners of eastern extraction so when northerners are filling it now we start shouting.why didn't we caution jonah then.cause it was in your favour.your mumu dont suppose do nowww.

1 Like

Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by Nobody: 8:01pm On Sep 19, 2017
Nationalman:
And you Mr mumu-nado.have you tried looking at the various post he made appoints into who were the previous occupants and the region they came from?.many of the positions were filled by mainly southerners of eastern extraction so when northerners are filling it now we start shouting.why didn't we caution jonah then.cause it was in your favour.your mumu dont suppose do nowww.
you are just a town crier it's your type that there will give N POWER job and you will be jubilating while your slave masters position their wards in cash cows like CBN and NNPC, keep being an e-rat on empty stomach
Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by Nationalman: 8:07pm On Sep 19, 2017
LoudNdclear:

You want make they send Nigeria army after me?

then you should not claim to be loud and clear anymore.simple question you they dodge

1 Like

Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by Nationalman: 8:12pm On Sep 19, 2017
Piiko:
you are just a town crier it's your type that there will give N POWER job and you will be jubilating while your slave masters position their wards in cash cows like CBN and NNPC, keep being an e-rat on empty stomach
for your information i have over 10 person's in paid employment. mumu-nado you need to know when to keep shut and learn from senior brains if you want your low brain to develop maximally

1 Like

Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by Nobody: 8:16pm On Sep 19, 2017
Lool that don't impress me try harder, you aren't intelligent coz I am sure you lack human relationship skills for you to be uncultured with how you voice your opinion on a comment that doesn't concern you
Nationalman:
for your information i have over 10 person's in paid employment. mumu-nado you need to know when to keep shut and learn from senior brains if you want your low brain to develop maximally
Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by willibounce1(m): 8:28pm On Sep 19, 2017
Nobody is marginalising anybody. When ya'll learn to hold your counsellors, LG chairmen, Commissioners, Senators, ministers accountable, you will understand what you all have been missing since you got democracy. If your tribesman is minister, how does that put food on your table when especially you refuse to hold them accountable because of " na our pickin mentality"
Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by Nationalman: 8:34pm On Sep 19, 2017
Piiko:
Lool that don't impress me try harder, you aren't intelligent coz I am sure you lack human relationship skills for you to be uncultured with how you voice your opinion on a comment that doesn't concern you
when opening your protracted mouth calling someone an asshole you felt you have the sole right to insult.this is the issue with you guys.when you meet people who are ready to stand you up in terms of facts and boldness.you run back and start claiming victims.any way i never expect less from you.your hero kanu was shouting i am the lion of Abiam .biafra or death.imagine even brainwashing children as small as 5yrs old.now he's running up and down, hiding like a cat under newspaper shouting mew mew .go back to the begin of our discourse and correct your self.And i beg you stop playing the Victim card we all know this it wont work
Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by Nobody: 8:41pm On Sep 19, 2017
Nationalman:
when opening your protracted mouth calling someone an asshole you felt you have the sole right to insult.this is the issue with you guys.when you meet people who are ready to stand you up in terms of facts and boldness.you run back and start claiming victims.any way i never expect less from you.your hero kanu was shouting i am the lion of Abiam .biafra or death.imagine even brainwashing children as small as 5yrs old.now he's running up and down, hiding like a cat under newspaper shouting mew mew .go back to the begin of our discourse and correct your self.And i beg you stop playing the Victim card we all know this it wont work
Lool why would I want to play the victim card, I find many people on the Internet boring most of you try too hard to sound important or relevant, I am Igbo but I have never spent up to 2 weeks in the south east at a stretch, I was born in Lagos and I currently live in the North, I have diverse friends from all divides so I am more nationalistic than most can imagine , I have been interested in Nigerian politics since I was 8 years old so I am more knowledgeable than most of you Internet warriors, I know I lot of politicians personally but I am civil servant and have no current interest in politics, I find all these arguments childish and boring, anyday I have the spare time I will come online to school some of you
Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by Nationalman: 8:55pm On Sep 19, 2017
Piiko:
Lool why would I want to play the victim card, I find many people on the Internet boring most of you try too hard to sound important or relevant, I am Igbo but I have never spent up to 2 weeks in the south east at a stretch, I was born in Lagos and I currently live in the North, I have diverse friends from all divides so I am more nationalistic than most can imagine , I have been interested in Nigerian politics since I was 8 years old so I am more knowledgeable than most of you Internet warriors, I know I lot of politicians personally but I am civil servant and have no current interest in politics, I find all these arguments childish and boring, anyday I have the spare time I will come online to school some of you
in my life sojourn i have had the cause to be to most state of the federation .lived in the north and visited the east and south south on numerous occassion. hidding behine beign nationalistic we all know is a farcade.Nigerians are first Tribalistic before beign Nigerians and that is a fact even shown by your post.The issue was simple how are the igbos beign marginalized.this have been shown over and over again to be half truthful.every part of this country is experiencing the same.talk about the south west south south or even the north it self.People should learn from visionary leaders.go to lagos a see leaders that are dreaming big for their state.while many state Governors are busy flying prostitute from over seas into their country serious ones are working day and Nigth.lagos generate a lot of VAT but gets peanuts.instead of shouting the state is presently building the largest deep seaport in Africa.this will enable it to generate more money.its building it own Airport which will be the best this country have ever seen.what is stopping other governors especially of eastern extraction from following similar path .Ogun state is catching up too.The east it self must get its acts together.by pulling it capital and human resources together.Nigeria is the largest market you can ever wish to trade with.all other markets in Africa put together will never meet your need.go back home and elect good governors that would seriously think of developing their states

2 Likes

Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by Nobody: 9:14pm On Sep 19, 2017
Afam4eva:

Yes, it is true that Igbos are not the only marginalized groups. Almost every Nigerian is marginalized and this marginalization is the direct disconect between our respective leaders and the common people. I think that is an established fact.

Now, when Igbos talk about marginalization, they're not talking about the marginalization that exist between Hausa and Yoruba leaders and their respective people because Igbos also have that. They're talking about the marginalization that exists between the federal government and Igbos specifically. Atleast we can all agree that Igbos makeup the third leg that this nation was built on as one of the 3 major ethnic groups. Now when we compare what accrues to the other two compared to the Igbos, you will understand what i'm talking about. I will just pick few areas to explain my point.

In the first republic, Nigeria had 4 regions. The North, East, West and Mid West. Three of the four regions were in the south while one was in the north. Today that one region in the north now has 3 regions while the 3 regions in the south still remain with minor adjustments. The 3 regions in the north ave a total of 19 states while the regions in the south have a total of 17 states. Kano state alone has 44 local government and other states in the north also have more local governments compared with their commensurate states elsewhere in the country.

The number of local government wouldn't have been an issue exceot for the fact that it being used for revenue allocation. Meaning that those 19 states in the north will have allocations each. The 44 local governments in kano will also have allocations each as well. As if that's not bad enough even our largest oil producing state of Imo has even less allocation than the average state in the north. Needless to say we have only 5 states, the lowest in all the regions and even the 5 states collect some of the lowest allocations in the federation. That's that.

Now, another area is in the distribution of projects. Can you tell me why most military organizations or government institutions in Nigeria are in the north? Not even one in the east? Can you tell me why federal character benefits the north so much that every parastatal you work into is filled to the brim with northerners and this is the same people that governments says are educationally disadvantaged but are somehow at the top echelon of administrative conveniences in the country.

Why dont you see it as an injustice in the first instance that the Northern Region had 1 region at that time given its size, population and the number of ethnic groups in it. Whats the problem with the current set up where we have 3 on both sides.

2 Likes

Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by Nobody: 10:10pm On Sep 19, 2017
Nationalman:
in my life sojourn i have had the cause to be to most state of the federation .lived in the north and visited the east and south south on numerous occassion. hidding behine beign nationalistic we all know is a farcade.Nigerians are first Tribalistic before beign Nigerians and that is a fact even shown by your post.The issue was simple how are the igbos beign marginalized.this have been shown over and over again to be half truthful.every part of this country is experiencing the same.talk about the south west south south or even the north it self.People should learn from visionary leaders.go to lagos a see leaders that are dreaming big for their state.while many state Governors are busy flying prostitute from over seas into their country serious ones are working day and Nigth.lagos generate a lot of VAT but gets peanuts.instead of shouting the state is presently building the largest deep seaport in Africa.this will enable it to generate more money.its building it own Airport which will be the best this country have ever seen.what is stopping other governors especially of eastern extraction from following similar path .Ogun state is catching up too.The east it self must get its acts together.by pulling it capital and human resources together.Nigeria is the largest market you can ever wish to trade with.all other markets in Africa put together will never meet your need.go back home and elect good governors that would seriously think of developing their states
Mr Man our argument is based on how much of a tribalistic leader we have my stance hasn't changed, nothing can change my views, goodnight
Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by Donclaracuzo: 11:51pm On Sep 19, 2017
Ndi Igbo feel that they have often been serially targeted in Nigeria for selective injustice. Frequently, the Igbo are targets of selective taxation, deportations, violence and brutality. The federal government has never, through its Ministry of Justice, investigated or prosecuted anyone for targeting the Igbo outside Igbo land. Igbo life feels expendable in this republic, and the Igbo thus feel themselves unprotected in Nigeria. The use of the police and military to mount road blocks in the East makes the East, since1970, feel like a perpetual area of conquest, where citizens are constantly harassed and brutalized. No business can thrive under those conditions. The only region with no international airport nor seaport No investor or tourist would come to an area that feels like it is under siege and quarantine. President Buhari began his presidency by declaring publicly that he’d favor those who voted more for him against those who voted less for him in the elections. Basically President Buhari began his government on a policy of discrimination. It showed in his key appointments into the inner sanctum of his presidency. The Igbo feel themselves gated from the presidency where all executive decisions take place. This kind of discrimination is equally evident at the larger space of nation. An Igbo child who is denied a place in a federal institution on the basis of a quota-system gone berserk will grow up naturally to resent Nigeria. And the Igbo, more than any other group in Nigeria, have had to suffer seriously from federal discriminatory policies that ought by now to have been revised. The Igbo have the highest number of educated and skilled unemployed, because discriminatory policies have kept them in silos. The Igbo are not necessarily against the use of the quota principle for inclusion and spread of opportunities to all parts of Nigeria. The Igbo in fact want the expansion of the Nigerian middle class from North to South because it is good for their business. But this must not be, as it is often the case at the expense of the Igbo. All development must be based on the human person. To understand Igbo anger, one must first comprehend that since 1970, the South-East of Nigeria has received the least infusion of federal capital, in fact in general, less than 11% of all capital expenditure. The old Kano state comprising Kano and Jigawa receive more in federal allocation than all the states of the South East put together. This is strategic diminution. There is not a single federal industrial investment in Igbo land. In 1981, Governor Sam Mbakwe secured President Shagari’s guarantee to site the National Petrochemical plant in Ohaji, or he would build it himself. In 1984, Buhari revised the plan and the Petrochemical plant slated for Ohaji was later sited in Eleme by Babangida. It was much the same about the National Steel plant which was designated to be built in Onitsha, but which was moved to Ajaokuta. By 1967, the city of Aba was at par with Lagos: whatever industrial plant was built in Lagos was also built in Aba – Lever brothers, SCOA industries, Nigerian Breweries, Guinness, Proctor & Gamble, PZ, etc. In fact the West African headquarters of Pfizer Pharmaceutical Laboratories was in Aba, before it was forcibly relocated to Lagos in 1970. The East has the worst federal roads, and much of the infrastructure destroyed by the federal forces during the war was never been rebuilt. Rather there is a policy of strategic divestment and capital flight out of the East. Basically the federal government has deliberately created a steel bucket out of Igbo land, with crabs in it. So, what do the Igbo want? First, a president who would be president of all Nigerians, irrespective of who voted for him. Secondly, a fulfilment of one of the basic conditions for ending the last war: the rehabilitation and reconstruction of all of Eastern Nigeria, including the Igbo heartland of that region. It is a matter beyond being the President.

1 Like

Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by konoplyanka: 1:42am On Sep 20, 2017
Afam4eva:

Civil war. I'm surprised that was so hard for you except you're just playing to the gallery like always.

but just 9 years after the civil war IBO man became a vice president to a northerner
Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by jumobi1(m): 2:15am On Sep 20, 2017
97-5% shows intent to marginalize. It supports concluding that Buhari at least to an extent favors the areas that voted for him which is plain wrong discrimination and an impeachable offense.

The composition of the NASS promotes marginalization. Inaccurate census figures lead to marginalization. A scoring 80 but B who score 60 gaining admission because he is from State X is marginalization.
Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by LoudNdclear: 2:56am On Sep 20, 2017
Nationalman:
then you should not claim to be loud and clear anymore.simple question you they dodge

I am actually dodging bullets oo, you better use your tongue to count your teeth.... this military era na sense person dey use.
Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by AbelDjassi: 4:39am On Sep 20, 2017
Blims,

Let me quickly correct some factual inaccuracies in your post.

bilms:
There was 3 regions in 1st Republic...West..East and North..........Each having minorities agitating for separate region.

West granted the minority agitating for separate region theirs (Mid-West), East didn't grant Portharcourt axis. This is what led to the first major agitation, by the Niger delta groups led by Boro if you recall. They want their own seperate region, but the east didn't grant it.

Not strictly true. The Mid West was in fact created by constitutional means in 1963, albeit backed by the political parties ruling at the centre.
Now the fact that its creation drew support from some members of the ruling party in the Western region (AG) owes much to internal strife which had ensued at the time.

"...The years 1961 and 1962 moved with dizzying speed. At the Midwest regional conference of the AG, Chief Awolowo kept up his oft repeated statement that he would work for the simultaneous creation of the Midwest, COR and Middle Belt States. In the Midwest, however, his comments were regarded with skepticism, all the more so considering what was regarded as his preference for a balkanized version of the Midwest. In any case, in March 1961, the NCNC – urged by Chief Okotie-Eboh - formally opposed the exclusion of Akoko-Edo and Warri from the Midwest minority area. When Chief Awolowo was confronted with the commitment the Western regional House of Assembly had made to creation the entire Midwest back in 1955 by approving the Sowole motion, he replied that he was no longer bound by that motion because the country was under colonial rule at the time [Federal Parliamentary debates, April 4, 1961]. The comment merely served to confirm suspicions that he did not support the creation of the Midwest – under any circumstances – even though he challenged Balewa to create the Midwest before the end of May 1962."

"With unity and security on the home front, all hands were now on deck for the final push. Balewa had decided that he would not conduct the referendum until there was a formal government back in office at Ibadan. By order of the federal government, the Akintola government was reinstated on January 1st, 1963 as Premier, this time with support from a new coalition consisting of the NCNC and his new party called the United People’s Party (UPP). This action caused an additional misunderstanding within the old Action Group just as it was reeling from the report of the Coker Commission of Inquiry into management of Cocoa Marketing Board investments and newspaper coverage of the ongoing trial of Chief Awolowo and others for treasonable felony [Enahoro, Op. Cit.].
On January 21, Mr. Gabriel E. Longe, from Owan district of the Afenmai Division was appointed the Supervisor of the Midwest referendum. He had been the legal adviser to the Benin Delta Peoples Party back in the fifties. No civil servants from the Western region were to be selected (to avoid a conflict of interest or fear of victimization) and no non-Midwesterners were to be given any significant roles in the exercise. Chief Festus Okotie-Eboh was the link man to the Prime Minister to make sure there were no mistakes at federal level.
A few days later on January 24th, the Midwest Planning Committee met again to get updates on developments and plan for the referendum. Two days later, on January 26th, KSY Momoh, who had taken over from Chief Anthony Enahoro as Chairman of the Midwest Regional Committee of the Action Group publicly announced that the Action group would oppose the creation of the Midwest, but, unknown to him, the horse had left the barn. On February 23rd, Midwestern dissenters from the Action group and elements of the Midwest State Movement and NCNC entered a secret pact to make sure Midwest referendum was hitch free. Faced with a choice between the party and their region, and urged on by appeals from Senator Dalton Asemota, many opted for their region. Under such pressure Action Group hardliners and anti-Midwest region politicians like KSY Momoh, C. Akere and Olatunji Oye, who were all former Ministers under Akintola before the split in the AG, decided to attend the next meeting of the Midwest Planning Committee (MPC) on March 9th. [Vickers, Op. Cit.]"

Source: http://www.waado.org/NigerDelta/EthnicHistories/EgharevbaLectures/Fifth-Omoigui.htm

bilms:
U.S for example has states with one senator. It has another state with 6 senators. Is that marginalization? No. each state or region got what is due to it based on its size. This is why 6 South South State got more federal revenue than the remaining 30 states joined together. I mean 6 states got more revenue than 30. is that marginalization? No.

Not true.

"The Constitution prescribes that the Senate be composed of two Senators from each State (therefore, the Senate currently has 100 Members) and that a Senator must be at least thirty years of age, have been a citizen of the United States for nine years, and, when elected, be a resident of the State from which he or she is chosen. A Senator's term of office is six years and approximately one-third of the total membership of the Senate is elected every two years."

Source: https://www.senate.gov/reference/reference_index_subjects/Senators_vrd.htm
Re: Is Igbo Really Marginalized? Let’s Discuss by bilms(m): 12:49pm On Sep 25, 2017
sad

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Attacks: Army Begins Show Of Force In Imo / IPOB Breaks Mans Sienna In Nnewi For Refusing To Sit At Home For Nnamdi Kanu - V / This Man Is The Major Problem We Have In This Country

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.