Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,846 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:31 AM

What Do You Tell Your Children About Gays? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Do You Tell Your Children About Gays? (1516 Views)

A Mother's Letter To Her Children About Marriage / Would You Tell Your Spouse You Cheated If The Lord Asks You To? / What Are You Teaching Your Children About Hard Work And Responsibility? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Tell Your Children About Gays? by VOR(m): 1:40am On Feb 16, 2007
Your innocent little boy or girl(perhaps 5-10 years old) comes home and says,
"mummy (or daddy) who is a gay person and what does it mean?"

What do you tell him or her?
Re: What Do You Tell Your Children About Gays? by Free(f): 1:46am On Feb 16, 2007
so U mean U no not wot 2 say

they are people who are attracted 2 same gender
instead of a boy wanting 2 be wit a girl
dey rather want to be with other boyz or girls undecided grin grin
Re: What Do You Tell Your Children About Gays? by BlackMamba(m): 2:22am On Feb 16, 2007
gays! Beware!!
Re: What Do You Tell Your Children About Gays? by lakers: 2:56am On Feb 16, 2007
I dont have kids but i tell my nephew that Gay people are sick and need help. There is no justification to be gay.
Re: What Do You Tell Your Children About Gays? by beyunce(f): 7:26am On Feb 16, 2007
Science says dat its normal.
Re: What Do You Tell Your Children About Gays? by lakers: 2:29am On Feb 17, 2007
All lies by the white man. Where is the justification ? Please give a brother a break .
Re: What Do You Tell Your Children About Gays? by okwanuzo3(f): 6:31am On Feb 18, 2007
i'd say they are 'happy' people, using the more pleasant meaning of the word grin
Re: What Do You Tell Your Children About Gays? by okwanuzo3(f): 6:39am On Feb 18, 2007
lakers:

Gay people are sick and need help. There is no justification to be gay.
lakers:

All lies by the white man. Please give a brother a break .
Thank you my brother. That's human beings allowing the devil work freely in them and expecting people to accept absurd things as normal. That lie doesn't work on everyone.
Re: What Do You Tell Your Children About Gays? by cuteass1(f): 8:34am On Feb 18, 2007
Well there's no need to judge them, it won't actually change anything. I would honestly give the kid the definition of the word "gay" just like Free stated, finito cheesy
Re: What Do You Tell Your Children About Gays? by hotangel2(f): 10:11am On Feb 18, 2007
I don't have any kids, but i believe that parents/adults/guardians/whatever, should be able to tell kids the truth about "gay people". Don't twist it arround, don't lie and don't by any means call Gay people devils/angels when explaining to them. Give them some space to make their own decision about gay people as they grow up.

Dont get me wrong oo. Tell them about gay people, And then, tell them that "But, honey, because we are christians, we don't believe it's right to be gay" Or something of that nature.
Dont go all "Gay people are the people that will die and burn in hell like suya in fire". --- now that there, is just WRONG.

I said this because, i know it's mostly  people who believe that Homosexuality is wrong that would have problem explaining to their kids what homosexuality is.

There was this boy i know that used to say everything was gay. His favorite phrase was "that is so gay".
I got sooo mad one day, and  i told him that THINGS are not Gay, some people are gay, so stop saying everything is gay dammit.
you should know where that led to. haaa yes,  "so who are the gay people, how do you know them? are you gay"?
My reply: Shey you see ehn, go and meet mummy, she's sitting right there.

Omo alakoba. Ofe da mi si free ko yo chalk lese mi, Haa!

If im not close to a child, i dnt think i will answer that question.
Infact ehn, even if im close, i won't answer the question, i will rather direct the kid back to his/her parents because their beliefs might be different from mine, and i wouldn't want any woman removing her head-tie to punch me in the face.

If i grow up and i happen to have a child who wants to know about gays. Well, i would tell s/he what gay people are (not in complete details of course), and i would tell him/her that as s/he grows up, s/he would understand it more.
"honey, it's just like math, you don't understand some part of math right now, as you grow you learn more". After saying that, i will sigh and drink a glass of water. Kids!!

Kids are amazing if i might add. One answer might lead to many other questions. Parents who are in the position to answer these kind of questions would need divine help from wherever they can get it.
Re: What Do You Tell Your Children About Gays? by cuteass1(f): 9:20pm On Feb 18, 2007
@ hot-angel, sweetie i see we're on the same page on lots of things cos i'm right behind you on this, i totally agree with your point of view. Couldn't have said it better myself. They should be allowed to build up their own opinion smiley and not make them see it the way we want it to be seen!
Re: What Do You Tell Your Children About Gays? by hotangel2(f): 9:25pm On Feb 18, 2007
@ cute-ass, I have to agree with you that we are almost always on the same page. Read lots of ur posts last nite, and i agreed with majority of your posts.

Ohh and yes, I think children shouldn't have opinions forced on them by adults. Give them that space. . . . .
Re: What Do You Tell Your Children About Gays? by BlackMamba(m): 11:51pm On Feb 20, 2007
***I hate gay people*** Yes, I'm homophobic** - Tim Hardaway (Ex NBA star)

Yes brother, say it like it really is.

I really hate when gays relate the way society treat their sexual preference to racism. It minimizes the dark evils of racism and must stop.
Re: What Do You Tell Your Children About Gays? by Nia: 10:33pm On Feb 28, 2007
I don't think homosexuality should be compared to racism/racial issues either. Both forms of oppression are different and should be tackled differently. Having said that, I do not look down or disrespect anyone based on their sexual preferences. I don't have kids, but if or when I do, they will be taught to respect every people and gays, lesbians, etc, are people just like them and should not be judged. They will be thought to think for themselves and not blindly follow what society tells them to and to treat people the way they would like to be treated.
Re: What Do You Tell Your Children About Gays? by Free(f): 5:38am On Mar 01, 2007
well said grin
Re: What Do You Tell Your Children About Gays? by netotse(m): 12:28am On Oct 11, 2007
beyunce:

Science says that its normal.
but daddy says they shld be shot! grin

(1) (Reply)

What Type Of Human Being(woman) Is This? / Hubby And Wife's Sister / When Boys Become Men:10 Mistakes They Make

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.