Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,641 members, 7,809,404 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:02 AM

Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma (7262 Views)

Jonathan Appoints Solomon Arase As Acting IGP, Sacks IGP Suleiman Abba / Mujahidat Daba Dokubo-Asari Calls Out OBJ, Gen. Danjuma In New Post / Mujahidat Daba Dokubo Reacts To Gen. Danjuma's Call To Arrest Asari Dokubo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by paddylo1(m): 8:36pm On Mar 01, 2010
[size=16pt]Jonathan appoints new advisers[/size]

Gekko: The advisory council which will be chaired by Lt Gen T. Y Danjuma, former Minister of Defence and Elder Statesman has the following as members;

Mr. Fola Adeola;
Mallam Abubakar Gimba;
Mr. Basil Omiyi; A
lhaji M. D. Yusuf
Chief Emeka Anyaoku
Amb. G. B. Preware;
Prof. Bartholomew Nnaji
Mr. Kase Lawal.
Others include;

Mallam Muhammed Hayatuddeen
Justice Alfa Belgore
Hon. Chibudom Nwuche
Mrs. Mobola Johnson
Hajiya Halita Aliyu
Alhaji Magaji Danbatta
Prof. B. G. Bajoga
Dr. (Mrs) Sally Bolujoko
Mrs. Mariam Uwais

Chief Kanu Agabi.
Also listed are:

Dr. Bamanga Tukur
Alhaji Ismaila Isa
Prof. Shehu Said Sarinwata,

Dr. Simon C. Okolo.
Nigeria's Acting President Goodluck Jonathan set up an advisory panel headed by an influential former defence minister on Monday in a further sign he is asserting his authority.

Fears of a debilitating power struggle sprang up last week in Africa's most populous nation, a major oil exporter, when ailing President Yar'Adua returned unexpectedly from three months in a Saudi hospital still too frail to rule.

Those around Jonathan appear to have gained an upper hand over a cabal loyal to Yar'Adua, led by his wife Turai. Jonathan said he was naming a Presidential Advisory Committee to provide input on government policy.

A statement said it would "promote good governance in the areas of power, economy, security, infrastructure, social sector, the electoral process, and the fight against corruption, among others".

The council will be headed by Theophilus Danjuma, a retired general who served as defence minister under former President Olusegun Obasanjo.

Jonathan assumed executive powers on Feb. 9, ending months of state paralysis and allowing him to set priorities such as implementing an amnesty for rebels in the oil-producing Niger Delta, restoring power supplies and preparing for elections.

But Yar'Adua's return came just two weeks later and threatened to again put policy-making on hold in the OPEC member state of 140 million people.

Britain and the United States have both offered support to Jonathan and voiced concern at Yar'Adua's surprise arrival.

Yar'Adua has not been seen in public since he left Nigeria in November to get treatment for a heart ailment. Presidency sources say he is in a mobile intensive care unit and Turai controls access to him.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5534326-146/jonathan_appoints_new_advisers__.csp
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by paddylo1(m): 8:40pm On Mar 01, 2010
^^
this is both good and bad. . good cause danjuma will neutralize all the foolish cabals

bad cause it means jonathan is being steered away from OBJ. . . .

i like OBJ. . lol
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by Beaf: 8:43pm On Mar 01, 2010
^
It short circuits Danjuma's VP ambitions, could be a smart move.
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by paddylo1(m): 8:47pm On Mar 01, 2010

no it doesnt,ever heard of how D. Cheney was in charge of the panel that looked for a VP for bush?

after vetting and interviewing several candidates,he ended up naming himself as the VP. . .

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by Beaf: 8:49pm On Mar 01, 2010
paddy_lo:

no it doesnt,ever heard of how D. Cheney was in charge of the panel that looked for a VP for bush?

after vetting and interviewing several candidates,he ended up naming himself as the VP. . .

Hmmm, you could be right.
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by pcicero(m): 8:53pm On Mar 01, 2010
@Beaf
I am inclined to agree with you on this. If what i read elsewhere about the purported plan to make T.Y Danjuma the V.P was true, then this is a smart move.

But, i am fed up with this country.

This same Danjuma that publicly acknowledge that he is bereft of ideas.
Didn't he recently declare that he doesn't know what to do with $500 million? His home state (Taraba) is one of the most underdeveloped in Nigeria. It is not on record that he has made any meaningful contribution to his state.
Being an OBJ critic does not make you a better (good) politician.
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by Onlytruth(m): 8:56pm On Mar 01, 2010
Danjuma is good and bad. He is good because he is a middle belter who is respected by the north (and so clan split northern pressure on Jonathan). He also has a lot of coup experience, so can help checkmate the military. But, he is too powerful for a President Jonathan. Obasanjo could use Danjuma and dump him when he needed to without Danjuma raising a finger (one general sabi another! grin). Jonathan has no military background and so should watch out! Even a Vice president Danjuma is most dangerous because he could end up replacing OBJ as the next problem for Nigeria after he takes over from Jonathan next year ('cos he would!).
I would have preferred someone with less taint in his past.
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by Nobody: 9:02pm On Mar 01, 2010
@Pciero, did u read the whole story? he set up a cahrity foundation and so far has sent over 1000 kids for masters from his state, over 50000 on schoolarship from primary to university. Haba Naija dont be carried away by sensational headlines, read d whole story
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by Beaf: 9:03pm On Mar 01, 2010
@pcicero

True.

I believe that at this time, nothing short of a young, true and progressive Northerner will do, if the North is to get the VP slot. The likes of Ribadu, col Umar and El-Rufai fit the bill.
the only way to move this country forward is bringing development and education to the North; close down avenues for child marriages, Boko Haram and Kala Kato and let the Northern masses see that they can aspire to be anything.

Danjuma cannot deliver these things, he is part of the rotten old wine.

@Aisha
He might have helped a few, but that doesn't take away from his part in killing the country.
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by BlackMamba(m): 9:06pm On Mar 01, 2010
pcicero:
But, i am fed up with this country.
This same Danjuma that publicly acknowledge that he is bereft of ideas.
Didn't he recently declare that he doesn't know what to do with $500 million? His home state (Taraba) is one of the most underdeveloped in Nigeria. It is not on record that he has made any meaningful contribution to his state.
Being an OBJ critic does not make you a better (good) politician.

There you have it. The more things "change" the more it remains the same. What about his mental capacity? Wasn't that an issue a few years back?
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by 9ijaprince(m): 9:06pm On Mar 01, 2010
@aisha2 Danjuma did all these with our oil money he stole.
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by pcicero(m): 9:11pm On Mar 01, 2010
@Aisha2
Thanks. I read the whole story. His hurriedly put together foundation. How it took him so long to realize that he has amassed too much wealth than he can spend. Or perhaps a way of telling us that he is not in politics for money.
So is it not coincidental that the man suddenly realized that he needed to do something for Tarabians while coveting a political post?
I was in Taraba between 2003 and 2004 and the only thing he was responsible for then was supplying arms to the Jukuns against the Tivs during their bitter confrontations.
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by Fhemmmy: 9:15pm On Mar 01, 2010
Jonathan seems to be ready to roll . . . .Let us see the next move
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by Nobody: 9:15pm On Mar 01, 2010
Little did you know DJ is in the cabal.
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by Abagworo(m): 9:30pm On Mar 01, 2010
JONATHAN IS REPEATING THE SAME PATTERN AS AGUIYI IRONSI.both men emerged as leaders without prior ambition.they believe so much in nigeria as to surround themselves with northerners.the murderers of ironsi are not hidden and hands soiled in blood is as dangerous as a viper and could still bite.it is obvious that all they want is the oil and that is why they own more oil wells than communities that host the wells.they have amassed so much wealth that they don't really know what to do with the spare dollars.
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by Nobody: 9:42pm On Mar 01, 2010
Thanks for clarifying that for me, Now i understand
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by nduchucks: 9:43pm On Mar 01, 2010
I suspect that any Northerner appointed by Jonathan to head any high powered commision will be labelled "member of the Northern Cabal" by bigots who will always take a perfectly legitimate national struggle/issue/affair and convert into a regional or tribal one.
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by mahal(m): 9:52pm On Mar 01, 2010
Same ol' recycled tired brains
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by banku: 10:04pm On Mar 01, 2010
The first thing Jonathan needs is to stabilize his gov. You can not find a better person than Danjuma. The only down side is that like all others he is greedy and will demand the oil block Obasanjo took away from him. But so are others.

The best thing about him is that he is pro South while respected in the North. Do not forget that while he was respected by Abacha, he was also funding NADECO.

He will also reassure those against OBJ influence. But he can not kill OBJ influence. People like Ribadu and El-Rufai will be welcomed back.

Keep your finger crossed. Jonathan is on the move.
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by ASL33: 10:10pm On Mar 01, 2010
Beaf:

@pcicero

True.

I believe that at this time, nothing short of a young, true and progressive Northerner will do, if the North is to get the VP slot. The likes of Ribadu, col Umar and El-Rufai fit the bill.
the only way to move this country forward is bringing development and education to the North; close down avenues for child marriages, Boko Haram and Kala Kato and let the Northern masses see that they can aspire to be anything.
We have a long way to if the two highlighted names are the young, true and progressive Northerners we have. Criminals tongue
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by marvix(m): 10:11pm On Mar 01, 2010
Another smart move frm Goodluck Wisdom Jonathan keep ur friends close and your foes closer or how do u relate Obj and Danjuma advising the same person.
Jonathan can emerge President come 2011
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by Beaf: 10:14pm On Mar 01, 2010
ndu_chucks:

I suspect that any Northerner appointed by Jonathan to head any high powered commision will be labelled "member of the Northern Cabal" by bigots who will always take a perfectly legitimate national struggle/issue/affair and convert into a regional or tribal one.

Don't worry, the cabal is gonna be severely crippled in the coming weeks. There is going to be an international corruption sledge hammer that will flatten all of them.
Responsible Northerners will be chosen to truly lead and develop the area. There will be no more Boko Haram and marriages of 50 year old men to 13 year old girls. No more almajiri and deliberate poverty inflicted on the population as a political tool.

For the first time since 1960, the Northern masses are about to be liberated. grin
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by Nobody: 10:24pm On Mar 01, 2010
Beaf:

Don't worry, the cabal is gonna be severely crippled in the coming weeks. There is going to be an international corruption sledge hammer that will flatten all of them.
Responsible Northerners will be chosen to truly lead and develop the area. There will be no more Boko Haram and marriages of 50 year old men to 13 year old girls. No more almajiri and deliberate poverty inflicted on the population.

For the first time since 1960, the Northern masses are about to be liberated. grin
i'm waiting to see how your dream will become a reality.nigeria politicians are short-sighted and do not reason like ordinary nigerians.do you ask yourseld why jonathan is bring the north closer?;he's trying to gain their trust in order for them to allow him complete the remain time for yaradua.in as much as the want a way out of the current power problem,goodluck stil need northern support and the best thing for him to do is to negotiate with them.
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by Ijeleigbo(m): 10:27pm On Mar 01, 2010
In any decision you make in this critical period Mr. Jonathan, i wish you God's wisdom and the best of luck. Prove to them that the south are better, faster and smarter than the north.
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by GoldCircle: 11:00pm On Mar 01, 2010
Some1 should please break down the terms of reference of this committee/advisers for me in lay man's terms! I see every1 here talking VP, VP. Does this in anyway imply that Danjuma will act out the position of the VP in the coming months?
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by naijaking1: 12:01am On Mar 02, 2010
Abagworo:

JONATHAN IS REPEATING THE SAME PATTERN AS AGUIYI IRONSI.both men emerged as leaders without prior ambition.they believe so much in nigeria as to surround themselves with northerners.the murderers of ironsi are not hidden and hands soiled in blood is as dangerous as a viper and could still bite.it is obvious that all they want is the oil and that is why they own more oil wells than communities that host the wells.they have amassed so much wealth that they don't really know what to do with the spare dollars.

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by PapaBrowne(m): 12:17am On Mar 02, 2010
Beaf:

^

Exactly!! A very smart move by Jonathan. He has shot three birds with one stone.

By appointing Danjuma, Jonathan tranquilizes that purported VP ambition!
At the same time, the appointment sends a message to the potentially troublesome military brass that a strong man- one that has been around and understands the system stands behind Jonathan.
Thirdly, Danjuma's clout can easily be used to ward off hegemonists and cabals!!

Very smart move I must say!
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by Gekko(m): 12:29am On Mar 02, 2010
Who are these folks?

The advisory council which will be chaired by Lt Gen T. Y Danjuma, former Minister of Defence and Elder Statesman has the following as members;

Mr. Fola Adeola;
Mallam Abubakar Gimba;
Mr. Basil Omiyi; A
lhaji M. D. Yusuf
Chief Emeka Anyaoku
Amb. G. B. Preware;
Prof. Bartholomew Nnaji
Mr. Kase Lawal.
Others include;

Justice Alfa Belgore
Hon. Chibudom Nwuche
Mrs. Mobola Johnson
Hajiya Halita Aliyu
Alhaji Magaji Danbatta
Prof. B. G. Bajoga
Dr. (Mrs) Sally Bolujoko
Mrs. Mariam Uwais

Chief Kanu Agabi.
Also listed are:

Dr. Bamanga Tukur
Alhaji Ismaila Isa

Dr. Simon C. Okolo.
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by riversman: 12:35am On Mar 02, 2010
Aisha2 - u are quite dumb shocked shocked shocked

DANJUMA IS A THIEF AND HAS NO IDEAS ON HOW TO MOVE NIGERIA FORWARD>, Jonathan is just the weaklin i thot he was, hiss, why are Bayelsa folks just dumb and lame, they have INFERIORITY COMPLEX a lot, chicken heart man, Jonathan may be worse than Yar Adua, hiiss
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by sjeezy8: 12:40am On Mar 02, 2010
If Nigeria was to hold free and fair election the likes of Danjuma would come up time and time again.
He is a safe choice.
as some would say Gowon was.

When Obj was presido it was good but he appointed way to many southerners- which made him look like he had an agenda against the north (in which he probably did lol).

But yea danjuma is respected by both north and south, christians and muslims.

and I wouldnt really say if he was a thief but hes one who benefitted from being the middle man and non biased.
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by paddylo1(m): 1:16am On Mar 02, 2010
Who are these folks?

The advisory council which will be chaired by Lt Gen T. Y Danjuma, former Minister of Defence and Elder Statesman has the following as members;

Mr. Fola Adeola;
Mallam Abubakar Gimba;
Mr. Basil Omiyi; A
Alhaji M. D. Yusuf
Chief Emeka Anyaoku
Amb. G. B. Preware;
Prof. Bartholomew Nnaji
Mr. Kase Lawal.
Others include;

Justice Alfa Belgore
Hon. Chibudom Nwuche
Mrs. Mobola Johnson
Hajiya Halita Aliyu
Alhaji Magaji Danbatta
Prof. B. G. Bajoga
Dr. (Mrs) Sally Bolujoko
Mrs. Mariam Uwais

Chief Kanu Agabi.
Also listed are:

Dr. Bamanga Tukur
Alhaji Ismaila Isa

Dr. Simon C. Okolo.

- -Alhaji M. D. Yusuf former Inspector General of Police
- - Chief Emeka Anyaoku former Commonwealth Secretary General
- - Chief Kanu Agabi. former Justice Minister
- - Hon. Chibudom Nwuche former House of Representatives Deputy Speaker
- - Justice Alfa Belgore former Chief Justice of Nigeria
- - Prof. Bartholomew Nnaji chairman geometric power company

anyone know the rest 
Re: Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma by Onlytruth(m): 1:22am On Mar 02, 2010
paddy_lo:

- -Alhaji M. D. Yusuf former Inspector General of Police
- - Chief Emeka Anyaoku former Commonwealth Secretary General
- - Chief Kanu Agabi. former Justice Minister
- - Hon. Chibudom Nwuche former House of Representatives Deputy Speaker
- - Justice Alfa Belgore former Chief Justice of Nigeria
- - Prof. Bartholomew Nnaji chairman geometric power company

anyone know the rest 

The rest are thieves! grin grin grin.
Bro Jonathan sef lipsrsealed I just hope he is right. He obviously should know better, right? He should know what is best for Nigeria, right? I'm not there, so I would assume he knows what he is doing. Let's hope he does! cool I don't trust Danjuma still. There must be other smart younger middle belters to pick. Why Danjuma

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

300 Taxis To Replace 'Okadas' In Bayelsa State / Why We Engage Foreign Lobbyists, Media Consultants-fg / Rising Poverty Greatest National Security Threat, Says Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.