Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,143 members, 7,829,086 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

Re: - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Re: (1420 Views)

"Support For President Buhari In The North Is Now Religious" - Farooq Kperogi / Emir Begs Prof. Farooq Kperogi To Stop Criticizing Buhari, Nigerians React / "Buhari Is The Commander Of Executive Corruption" - Farooq Kperogi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: by Nobody: 2:12pm On Sep 21, 2017
Before I publish some of the reactions to last week’s column, I want to clarify that when I referred to the late Abubakar Tafawa Balewa as being half ‘Shuwa Arab,’ I was only using a familiar Nigerian ethnic descriptor to refer to his paternal ethnic heritage. Many sources said he was descended, patrilineally, from the Bageri or Bagara ethnic group, who share linguistic similarities with the Shuwa Arabs of Borno and Chad.
I took the liberty to describe his paternal ethnic heritage as ‘Shuwa Arab’ because I thought people will relate more to that label than Bageri/ Bagara. ‘Bagara,’ by the way, is the Arabic word for cattleman, and is used by Middle Eastern and North African Arabs to refer to sub-Saharan African Arabs, including Shuwa Arabs in Borno and Chad.
But someone who claims to have personal familiarity with the late Tafawa Balewa’s family disputed claims of the late prime minister’s Bageri/Bagara ancestry; he insisted the late prime minister was Jarawa/Gerawa. Other people, nonetheless, said the late prime minister’s patrilineal ethnic heritage was actually Sayawa, not Jarawa or Bageri/Bagara.
If any family member of the minister is reading this, I would appreciate an email from them to set the records straight.
Well, read below a sample of the responses I received.
Thanks for your yet another interesting column.
Re: Re: by Nobody: 2:13pm On Sep 21, 2017
I am Hausa from Kano. As far as I know, I don’t have a drop of Fulani blood in me. I have never understood why people would call me ‘Hausa-Fulani.’ That name puzzles me to no end. As you rightly said, in all Nigeria cultures, including Hausa and Fulani cultures, people’s ethnic identity is determined by the ethnic identity of their father. We would never call a person who is the product of an intermarriage between an Igala and an Idoma (and there is a lot of that) an ‘Igala-Idoma.’ If the label ‘Hausa-Fulani’ is justified because you said our integration is “on a scale of intensity that is unexampled anywhere in Nigeria,” would we start hyphenating other ethnic identities once the “scale of intensity” of their integration equals that of the Hausa and Fulani? I doubt it. Well, you’re really spot on when you said the label is “meaningless.”
Sabi’u Umar, Kano
Re: Re: by Nobody: 2:14pm On Sep 21, 2017
In Bishop Matthew Hassan Kukah’s PhD thesis from SOAS London, ‘Religion and Politics in Northern Nigeria since Independence,’ Kukah analysis the Hausa- Fulani issue in terms of “power relations.” He notes that: “When I asked Umaru B. Ahmed, former Director of the Centre for Nigerian Cultural Studies, Zaria, himself a Hausa with Fulani blood in him, he said: “The romance over Fulani blood among many Hausa people is purely because of the Sarauta (traditional power) benefits. If you do away with the Sarauta in the political system today, no one will be bothered about their Fulani lineage, because the lines are already blurred through very many generations of intermarriages.”
Mohammed Dahiru Aminu, London
Re: Re: by Nobody: 2:14pm On Sep 21, 2017
I think we need to really get to the origins of the
term Hausa-Fulani. Who invented? Or, better still, who first used it? Professor Jibo’s claim (via John Paden) that the term was invented by Barewa College students in the 1920s is too simplistic to be taken seriously. Even if this were true, which is frankly unlikely, it requires someone or some people with symbolic power to make the term stick and used as widely as it is today. That’s why I like your point (via Benedict Anderson) about the power of the media to create imagined communities. In the modern world, without the active participation of the media, no name or label or identity can travel beyond its place of origin.
Kamaldeen Olatunbosu, Ilorin
Re: Re: by Nobody: 2:15pm On Sep 21, 2017
I am Fulani. To me, you are either Hausa or Fulani. Simple! I too am not fluent in Hausa because I learnt it for the first time in my university days. I only spoke Fulfulde and English in my youth. In Nigeria, you are your father’s ethnic group.
Aishatu Suleiman
Re: Re: by Nobody: 2:15pm On Sep 21, 2017
Talking about the non-existence of labels like Yoruba-Fulani despite the existence of the Fulani in Yoruba land reminded me of an encounter during my NYSC days. I came across some Fulani settlers in some parts of Saki East LGA in Oyo State. Being a Fulani myself, we easily became used to each other and related freely. In the course of our conversations, each time I chipped in some Hausa words, as Fulani up north here do, they didn’t always get what I was saying. I later realised that these people knew nothing about Hausa language and its speakers. But they were fluent in Yoruba language. This kept me wondering whether they’re the Yoruba-Fulani (that is, if anything like that exists). So, to be frank, I hate being referred to as Hausa-Fulani.
Abubakar Algwallary
Re: Re: by FSBoperator: 2:17pm On Sep 21, 2017
All these migrants claiming Nijeriya.

1 Like

Re: Re: by Nobody: 2:18pm On Sep 21, 2017
I served in Okeero LGA of Kwara State, and I related with the Fulani there, although I am not Fulani. I am a Hausa from Zaria, Kaduna State.
But the only Hausa the Fulani I met in Kwara could speak was ‘Sannu.’
Abdulkadir Muhammed Yahaya
Re: Re: by Nobody: 2:19pm On Sep 21, 2017
I think you are right that what the southern media mean by Hausa-Fulani is any person from northern Nigeria that is a Muslim irrespective of the ethnic group he or she comes from -as long as they speak and appear Hausa. I read one of Femi Fani Kayode’s articles where, in trying to establish a
relationship between the Fulani and Yoruba, he said he too, as a Yoruba, has Fulani grandparents in his lineage and, as such, coined the appellation ‘Yorulani.’
Sadisu Abubakar Dangoggo
Re: Re: by Nobody: 2:20pm On Sep 21, 2017
FSBoperator:
All these migrants claiming Nijeriya.
same as igbo were also migrant.
Re: Re: by Nobody: 2:26pm On Sep 21, 2017
You seem very curious about hausa people, may i enquire why? I'm saying this because i remember your last thread accusing hausas of using an offensive word to refer to igbos...
Re: Re: by Nobody: 2:46pm On Sep 21, 2017
Ersan:
You seem very curious about hausa people, may i enquire why? I'm saying this because i remember your last thread accusing hausas of using an offensive word to refer to igbos...
never,both articles were wrote by some people,haba.
Re: Re: by EazyMoh(m): 3:17pm On Sep 21, 2017
abdelrahman:

Re: Re: by EazyMoh(m): 3:25pm On Sep 21, 2017
OP what's your obsession with Hausa or Fulani people? And the fact that you have to use a Muslim name to misrepresent them like many of you do over here is just ridiculous and childish.
There are Hausa people and there are Fulani people, but since each of them has a very strong cultural identify it is difficult for one to swallow the other. At the end the two adapting each others cultures and becoming almost one ethnic group.
For example if all Hausa and Fulani are to be genetically tested, it's possible to find those with exclusive Fulani/Hausa genes to be very negligible.
But the most important thing is their bond in Islam. In Islam every ethnic group is viewed as equal to another. So segregation and racial purity is inconsequential.

1 Like

Re: Re: by IJOBA2: 3:32pm On Sep 21, 2017
THIS THREAD IS GONNA BE INTERESTING I TELL YAgrin
Re: Re: by Nobody: 3:34pm On Sep 21, 2017
EazyMoh:
OP what's your obsession with Hausa or Fulani people? And the fact that you have to use a Muslim name to misrepresent them like many of you do over here is just ridiculous and childish.
There are Hausa people and there are Fulani people, but since each of them has a very strong cultural identify it is difficult for one to swallow the other. At the end the two adapting each others cultures and becoming almost one ethnic group.
For example if all Hausa and Fulani are to be genetically tested, it's possible to find those with exclusive Fulani/Hausa genes to be very negligible.
But the most important thing is their bond in Islam. In Islam every ethnic group is viewed as equal to another. So segregation and racial purity is inconsequential.
but farooq kperogi wrote it,so why are you blaming me?
Re: Re: by diadem10: 3:38pm On Sep 21, 2017
EazyMoh:

Point of correction, religion is different from ethnic! Your identity and culture shouldn't be made redundant because of whatever religion.

Away with such nonsensical rubbish!
Re: Re: by EazyMoh(m): 4:22pm On Sep 21, 2017
diadem10:

Point of correction, religion is different from ethnic! Your identity and culture shouldn't be made redundant because of whatever religion.

Away with such nonsensical rubbish!
No ethnic identity is made redundant. Look at a Hausa or a Fulani man and tell me he has neglected his culture at the expense of religion.
What I was inferring was that ethnic identities take a back seat the moment Hausa and Fulani forged into one religion.
Hausa and Fulani view themselves as one due to Islam which the rest of the world even started calling them one entity. Them plus the rest of the north form Arewa.... at the end forming Nigeria and Africa.
Re: Re: by Nobody: 4:27pm On Sep 21, 2017
EazyMoh:

No ethnic identity is made redundant. Look at a Hausa or a Fulani man and tell me he has neglected his culture at the expense of religion.
What I was inferring was that ethnic identities take a back seat the moment Hausa and Fulani forged into one religion.
Hausa and Fulani view themselves as one due to Islam which the rest of the world even started calling them one entity. Them plus the rest of the north form Arewa.... at the end forming Nigeria and Africa.
then what is angering before?
Re: Re: by Nobody: 4:50pm On Sep 21, 2017
abdelrahman:
same as igbo were also migrant.
Point of correction: Igbos are aborigines in Igbo Land. They met no one there.

1 Like

Re: Re: by Nobody: 4:52pm On Sep 21, 2017
igbodefender:
Point of correction: Igbos are aborigines in Igbo Land. They met no one there.
yes all of us are migrants,even yoruba,we came from somewhere.
Re: Re: by diadem10: 4:53pm On Sep 21, 2017
EazyMoh:

Nope, your identity shouldn't take a back seat no matter the religion you opt. That's the fact!

As a matter fact, having your identity and heritage destroyed because of one religion is quite stupid and a huge shame! Even the Arabs drew clear lines between these two things (religion and heritage) as seen by how they were reluctant to open heir borders for the fleeing syrians.. These are folks who would rather preserve their pure bloodline than allow anyone to come in and taint it no matter his religion.

The British who brought in christianity didn't suddenly turn to another thing, just because they are christians. Even the Jewish haven't stopped being one.. Abegi!

Being a Christian or Muslim shouldn't erode your identity as a person. In fact, it's a shame and quite stupid to claim anything else. It probably means such person lack self worth and at the end of the day, it still doesn't stop you from being what you're!

And yes, Hausa cultures have been destroyed! There's nothing you can pinpoint to show this was their culture before they became muslims yet despite everything, it still doesn't make them Fulani 'cos Fulanis know their own. Even their previous Hausa king titles have taken a back seat which is a shame. I recall them finding one old pot artefact the other day yet the foolish ones in their midst went ahead to destroy it before we even know what was inside.

I just dey shame for them.

1 Like

Re: Re: by Nobody: 5:00pm On Sep 21, 2017
abdelrahman:
yes all of us are migrants,even yoruba,we came from somewhere.
From where?

1 Like

Re: Re: by Nobody: 5:01pm On Sep 21, 2017
igbodefender:
From where?
i though igbo said they are from isreal?
Re: Re: by Nobody: 5:07pm On Sep 21, 2017
abdelrahman:
i though igbo said they are from isreal?
You must respect the truth that every inch of Nigeria already has indigenes.
Re: Re: by EazyMoh(m): 5:08pm On Sep 21, 2017
diadem10:

Nope, your identity shouldn't take a back seat no matter the religion you opt. That's the fact!

As a matter fact, having your identity and heritage destroyed because of one religion is quite stupid and a huge shame! Even the Arabs drew clear lines between these two things (religion and heritage) as seen by how they were reluctant to open heir borders for the fleeing syrians.. These are folks who would rather preserve their pure bloodline than allow anyone to come in and taint it no matter his religion.

The British who brought in christianity didn't suddenly turn to another thing, just because they are christians. Even the Jewish haven't stopped being one.. Abegi!

Being a Christian or Muslim shouldn't erode your identity as a person. In fact, it's a shame and quite stupid to claim anything else. It probably means such person lack self worth and at the end of the day, it still doesn't stop you from being what you're!

And yes, the Hausa cultures have been destroyed! There's nothing you can pinpoint to show that this was their culture before they became muslims and yet, all these still doesn't make them Fulani 'cos Fulanis know their own. Even their previous Hausa king titles have taken a back seat which is a shame. I recall them finding one old pot artefact the other day yet the foolish ones in their midst went ahead to destroy it before we even know what was inside.

I just dey shame for them.
You don't seem to get what am saying, even the Arabs you quoted were hundreds of different warring tribes before they were united by Islam.
The Syrian crisis is purely a political one, and its simply escabated by the fact that the Muslim world has lost its true sense of brotherhood which is meant to guarantee every Muslim equal right and protection.
Let me use USA to try and make my points clear.
To a typical America, what do you think is their most important identity? Their ethnicity or just being American?
You do know their ethnicity, political views, orientation take a back seat when national interest is concerned. They are American first before any other thing.
This is the kind of patriotism strengthened within the Muslim community of northern Nigeria long before whitemen came. This has helped cement relationship between Hausa and Fulani people that till today they (and the rest of the world) see them(selves) as more the same than different.
A Hausa man will be among the people whose culture always manifest in the most conspicuous way! To say that Hausa culture has been diminished by Islam it simply means you don't know both.

1 Like

Re: Re: by Nobody: 5:09pm On Sep 21, 2017
igbodefender:
You must respect the truth that every inch of Nigeria already has indigenes.
ok,i gbadun you jare my bro,i see that you will be a leader of the igbo tomorrow.
Re: Re: by diadem10: 5:22pm On Sep 21, 2017
EazyMoh:

You don't seem to get what am saying, even the Arabs you quoted were hundreds of different warring tribes before they were united by Islam.
The Syrian crisis is purely a political one, and its simply escabated by the fact that the Muslim world has lost its true sense of brotherhood which is meant to guarantee every Muslim equal right and protection.
Let me use USA to try and make my points clear.
To a typical America, what do you think is their most important identity? Their ethnicity or just being American?
You do know their ethnicity, political views, orientation take a back seat when national interest is concerned. They are American first before any other thing.
This is the kind of patriotism strengthened within the Muslim community of northern Nigeria long before whitemen came. This has helped cement relationship between Hausa and Fulani people that till today they (and the rest of the world) see them(selves) as more the same than different.
A Hausa man will be among the people whose culture always manifest in the most conspicuous way! To say that Hausa culture has been diminished by Islam it simply means you don't know both.

America is quite different as it's the meeting point of all races. Besides, we have some who are still in touch with their identity over there. This is quite different from say, you're in your homeland yet became something else just because you happened to practise a certain religion. It's like the British destroying their queen's heritage all because they became christians. It's not done like that. It's quite stupid and a shame.

And the Arabs are quite one. They may have sub ethnics groups among them which is analogous to some sub ethnics in Yoruba such as Awori, Ijebu, Ikale etc but it doesn't stop them from being one. At least, majority of them are Arabs! No wonder they failed to open their borders to the fleeing syrians. Don't you think as the fore runners of Islam, they should be the first to accommodate the syrians in their midst? Yet they put their ethnics first and foremost above anything else, even above the religion they love to champion.

And pray tell what are the hausa cultures today apart from the Islam religion they practise?

Abegi.. The fact is Hausa have lost their identity and it's a huge shame! The fulani on the other hand has undiluted tribes of theirs in Niger, Mali etc, even some whereas we can't pinpoint who's exactly Hausa or not in their own homeland! What a shame!
Re: Re: by Nobody: 5:47pm On Sep 21, 2017
abdelrahman:
ok,i gbadun you jare my bro,i see that you will be a leader of the igbo tomorrow.
I pray you become a leader of the great Fulani tribe of Nigeria. You have displayed sportsmanrhip or politics without bitterness.

Differences need not give rise to enimity. Nigeria actually needs more leaders like you.
Re: Re: by EazyMoh(m): 8:34pm On Sep 21, 2017
diadem10:

America is quite different as it's the meeting point of all races. Besides, we have some who are still in touch with their identity over there. This is quite different from say, you're in your homeland yet became something else just because you happened to practise a certain religion. It's like the British destroying their queen's heritage all because they became christians. It's not done like that. It's quite stupid and a shame.

And the Arabs are quite one. They may have sub ethnics groups among them which is analogous to some sub ethnics in Yoruba such as Awori, Ijebu, Ikale etc but it doesn't stop them from being one. At least, majority of them are Arabs! No wonder they failed to open their borders to the fleeing syrians. Don't you think as the fore runners of Islam, they should be the first to accommodate the syrians in their midst? Yet they put their ethnics first and foremost above anything else, even above the religion they love to champion.

And pray tell what are the hausa cultures today apart from the Islam religion they practise?

Abegi.. The fact is Hausa have lost their identity and it's a huge shame! The fulani on the other hand has undiluted tribes of theirs in Niger, Mali etc, even some whereas we can't pinpoint who's exactly Hausa or not in their own homeland! What a shame!
Lol! Let's agree to disagree.
You changed the goal post right in the middle of the game by claiming America is different. The bone of contention here is that people let their ethnic/racial/tribal segregations take back seat when they have a more powerful ideology to bind them together.
Americans did shed their racial and tribal affiliations take the back seat while championing national patriotism likewise Hausa and Fulani relegated their ethnic affiliations to the background while embracing Islam as a unifying identity.
It's obvious you are not even a Hausa man nor a Fulani but here you are challenging me with a 50-50% Hausa-Fulani blood in me.
To say that a Hausa man has no cultural identity but what Islam gives is simply gross ignorance.
If you don't know simply ask.

1 Like

Re: Re: by Nobody: 10:42pm On Sep 21, 2017
diadem10:

I laugh at the ignorance of people when they try to claim hausas have lost their culture. From marriage rites way of life to even how we practice islam is influenced by culture, like the durbar for instance is not actually an islamic way of celebrating eid but only occurs in hausa land. The argungu fishing festival is older than your greatest grand father. The way we sit, the way we greet, interact, all of this is influenced by our culture. Visit any hausa village and see the extent to which this is alive. Its truly embarrassing for you people that know anything about us but we know almost everything about you, you people need to stop believing in your stu pid misconceptions and stereotypes.

You've said a lot of ignorant things here but i feel this is the easiest target.

Niger is over 50% hausa, majority of whom are unmixed and unscathed. The only place this mixture seems prevalent is in the urban areas of north west nigeria but even then everyone knows what they identify with. How have Hausa lost their identity when every other ethnic group is ignorantly referred to as Hausa, dont you mean those ethnic groups have lost their identity? And btw, there is no such ethnic group as hausa, if you knew history you'd understand this, just a bunch of people with the same culture and language that called themselves that and over time this trend has continued to repeat itself.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Re: by Nobody: 10:45pm On Sep 21, 2017
abdelrahman:

But you're the one posting them here are you not?

(1) (2) (Reply)

2018 Budget: Fg Plans Group Life Insurance For Workers / Police Arrest Seven Suspects Linked To Offa Robbery, Confirm 17 Dead / It Is Only God That Can Guarantee Buhari Return On Saturday -presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.