Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,282 members, 7,836,254 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:43 AM

Yorubas Not Hausas Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yorubas Not Hausas Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria (987 Views)

Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group / No Ethnic Group Can Beat The Fulani, The largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria - Bello / Hausas Asking Igbos To Leave: See What Some Northern Youths Are Saying Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yorubas Not Hausas Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Bede2u(m): 4:00pm On Sep 21, 2017
1 Hausa 25.1%
2 Yoruba 21.0%
3 Igbo 18.0%
4 Ijaw 10.0%
5 Kanuri 4.0%
6 Fulani 3.9%
7 Ibibio 3.5%
8 Tiv 2.5%
* Other Groups 12%

This is according to CIA World Factbook
But lol we all know this is a lie. Northern leaders have always manipulated census figures. They count Nigeriens and Chadian as Nigerians during census. Something not obtained in the south.

But even going by this figure, we can see that the south not the north has the real voting power. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 7th largest ethnic group (52%) are southerners. Do you know why however Fulanis have managed to rule this country since 1979? Because they have been able to make all the ethnic groups in the north behave as one... even though they really aren't one in any way. The same thing that divides the south is very present in the north; Christianity and Islam, different tribes and tongue, different cultures and history etc. This is what Yorubas have not been able to do with the tribes of the south. I make bold to say that Yorubas not Hausas should have been ruling Nigeria since 1979.

Whose fault is it? Nobody's! However, politically, Igbos, Ijaws and Ibibios have all spoken with one voice since 1979. Yorubas? They have always played it different from the rest of the south.

The north, the entire north only have one social cultural group, The Arewa Consultative Forum. In the south you get as many as there are ethnic groups; Ohaneze, Afenifere, Ijaw youth council etc. The north, the entire north have only one governors forum, The Northern Governors Forum. The south has three, lol. Whose fault is this? Again, no one's!

The Igbos have been accused recently of playing the worst form of politics because of their seeming rejection of APC. Well, that is far from the truth. Since 1979, Igbos and the Niger Deltans have never been in opposition till 2015. Yorubas have never been in the ruling party till 2015. Plus it is worthy of note that it is Buhari not APC (and not Hausa/Fulani) that Igbos have rejected, because of his past extreem views (I voted him though).

What is the way foward and what stands to be achieved by following this way forward? I believe a southern political dominance is a good thing. If the north controls the legislature because of their landmarks, the south should control every other arm of government and use it to further southern interests and liberal ideology. This can be achieved... but we need to first of all stop the hate between Igbos and Yorubas (online and offline). We need to collapse the three different governors forums in the south into one Southern Governors Forum with Lagos as its capital. We need Ohaneze, Afenifere et all to come together and form one consultative body for the south. Last and most important we need the 17 governors of the southern regions to abandon the PDP and APC and decamp to one political party in the run up to 2019 politicking. And we need TINUBU to contest in this party against Atiku and Buhari. He may choose David Mark as running mate to capture the middle belt as well. The ENTIRE south will stand behind him as the leader of the south (not as yoruba leader). Lets see if the north will smell presidency again.

Yoruba, Igbo, Ijaw and Ibibio, we are all southeners first and we need to forgive each other and move on. Though tribe, tongue and religion may differ among us (as it also differs with the north), we can present ourselves as ONE and take turns ruling this beautiful black nation. The north has done a terrible job of it. They should now give way (while burying their head in shame) and allow the progressive tribes of the south to take turns cleaning up their mess.
Re: Yorubas Not Hausas Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by MalcoImX: 4:11pm On Sep 21, 2017

Re: Yorubas Not Hausas Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by attackgat: 4:14pm On Sep 21, 2017
So they are that large but they are still begging the North for restructuring?
Re: Yorubas Not Hausas Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by nairalandankrah: 4:14pm On Sep 21, 2017
True we might be', but right now they control everything. They have the political power.. The country is way too divided across SEVERAL LINES..I doubt it's beyond remedy
Re: Yorubas Not Hausas Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Orodje(m): 4:18pm On Sep 21, 2017
Bleep all this tribal shit, who the cap fits let him wear, I am a Niger deltan I don't have problem with the north ruling me so long he gives the people what they want.
Voting should be done on the basis of effectiveness and character of the leader but not on religion/tribe or region.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Not Hausas Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by PEPPERified: 4:18pm On Sep 21, 2017
And Your point is?
Re: Yorubas Not Hausas Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Bede2u(m): 4:26pm On Sep 21, 2017
attackgat:
PEPPERified:
And Your point is?
Orodje:
Bleep all this tribal shit, who the cap fits let him wear, I am a Niger deltan I don't have problem with the north ruling me so long he gives the people what they want.
Voting should be done on the basis of effectiveness and character of the leader but not on religion/tribe or region.
nairalandankrah:
True we might be', but right now they control everything. They have the political power.. The country is way too divided across SEVERAL LINES..I doubt it's beyond remedy
did u all read the post or the headline?
Re: Yorubas Not Hausas Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by konoplyanka: 5:42pm On Sep 21, 2017
attackgat:

brainless.

large individually but north largest altogether.
Re: Yorubas Not Hausas Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Bede2u(m): 6:00pm On Sep 21, 2017
konoplyanka:

brainless.

large individually but north largest altogether.
actually according to statistic up there south is larger than north
Re: Yorubas Not Hausas Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:03pm On Sep 21, 2017
Ok
Re: Yorubas Not Hausas Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by konoplyanka: 6:08pm On Sep 21, 2017
Bede2u:
actually according to statistic up there south is larger than north

I don't know about that.

the north has larger land mass and their rate of reproduction is higher than in the south.

these are ways of looking at it.
Re: Yorubas Not Hausas Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Bede2u(m): 6:18pm On Sep 21, 2017
konoplyanka:

I don't know about that.

the north has larger land mass and their rate of reproduction is higher than in the south.

these are ways of looking at it.
land mark is not a criteria. Check Algeria landmarks vs Nigeria and see. They reproduce like the south. Go to the creeks of niger delta and see pregnant 15yr olds. Plus there is no country in the world were population is less in the coastal region. There is equally more disease and infant/maternal mortality in the north than the south. Plus I didnt manufacture the statistic. Google it
Re: Yorubas Not Hausas Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by konoplyanka: 6:27pm On Sep 21, 2017
Bede2u:
land mark is not a criteria. Check Algeria landmarks vs Nigeria and see. They reproduce like the south. Go to the creeks of niger delta and see pregnant 15yr olds. Plus there is no country in the world were population is less in the coastal region. There is equally more disease and infant/maternal mortality in the north than the south. Plus I didnt manufacture the statistic. Google it

Igbo's and Yoruba are the majority tribes in the south. an average Yoruba man gives birth to five children. I have never seen an Igbo man with two wives. the average age if marriage in the south is 22.

now in contrast to the north:

they marry an average of four wives both rich and poor.

the average children is 15.
they marry at 15 by average

I believe they should be have more population.
Re: Yorubas Not Hausas Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Lajet: 6:55pm On Sep 21, 2017
OP You are a liar. Igbo is largest Ethnic group in Nigeria and Ijaw is not 10% of Nigeria Population .Ijaw is not more 6 Million people in Population

(1) (Reply)

Have You Noticed? Zombies Keep Asking "Where Is Nnamdi Kanu?" / Nigerian Ports Authority & D Fvckery Of A Recruitment Process / Today In History 1995 - Ken Saro-wiwa And 8 Other Ogoni Activists Were Executed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.