Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,698 members, 7,816,855 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:56 PM

What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? (49511 Views)

Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria / South Africa Culture Shock: 2 Scantly Dressed Women, Different Public Reactions / Shock As Men Steal Meat From Lions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by makydebbie(f): 6:29pm On Sep 22, 2017
Stevengerd:
Still wanna taste that chichinaga again
Come GH na. tongue
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by LikeCool(m): 6:30pm On Sep 22, 2017
My friend shut up
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Stevengerd(m): 6:32pm On Sep 22, 2017
makydebbie:
Come GH na. tongue
I will come ooo verysoon, inshort am wrking on a "single" titled chichinaga.
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Sep 22, 2017
ibkayee:
When I went to Nigeria and nepa took light at the airport smh
when next u coming lemme know so I will buy diesel at the airport, deal?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Sep 22, 2017
Dalek:

azin i weak o as yoruba it's normal thing, all my aunt's got a share of my grandparents properties. but them first they sell the daughters and disavow them

the case go worse if her husband dies, shave head, Drink the water used in washing the corpse et al

I doubt this is still the case

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by NCANpatroller: 6:35pm On Sep 22, 2017
makydebbie:
Come GH na. tongue
Hi
Do you know Mnotify Company in ghana?
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by sisisioge: 6:36pm On Sep 22, 2017
Mine wasn't so shocking. It just kinda threw me.

I noticed that most of my Igbo friends don't answer with Yes Sir/Ma, Yes, Ma or Sir when called by their daddies or mommies or elders...they just simply call them right back. Eg:

Father calls daughter: Cynthia!

Daughter answers : Daaddy!

LOL...I didn't quite get it until I realized it was passable grin.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by hilroy: 6:37pm On Sep 22, 2017
We can all see the hateful and bigotry tribe on this thread. The Op ask of cultural shock anyone has witnessed, and the Igbos deem it fit to throw jabs on Yorubas Amala and Ewedu like they used too. Meanwhile, there are many disgusting foods they eat like Abacha, Okpa, oha (which is purely tree leaves) and Nsala (looks like shit) but you will never hear Yoruba make derogatory comments about their shitty foods. And if I start to list out the cultural shocks from that tribe many people will be shocked to their bone marrows

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Amajerry83(m): 6:38pm On Sep 22, 2017
Looool...How do they produce it? Cause i heard something strange too but dont know if its same with what u've heard.

FemiEddy:
The day I saw how they process Kulikuli in the north...........I am still shocked shocked
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Sep 22, 2017
Dalek:

i came here to read right thinking people's experience but what did i see? your irresponsible kinsmen talking shit about yorubas and their food. but you like a complete slowpoke that lacks mental effectiveness decide to pick on my own comment? why don't you talk same to your kinfools. leprosy fall on that your have you use type that. eleribu somebody

Don't turn this into a tribal fight Mr.
stop being naive and stupid! How are you any different than the person talking bad about Yoruba's food. Or do you now deem it fit to play that childish game of "but he started it" undecided

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by gentlechyke(m): 6:40pm On Sep 22, 2017
Dalek:

azin i weak o as yoruba it's normal thing, all my aunt's got a share of my grandparents properties. but them first they sell the daughters and disavow them

the case go worse if her husband dies, shave head, Drink the water used in washing the corpse et al

That's not the normal thing. It applies in certain remote traditions when a man dies mysteriously and d woman is a suspect
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by makydebbie(f): 6:41pm On Sep 22, 2017
NCANpatroller:

Hi
Do you know Mnotify Company in ghana?
I'm based in Accra not Kumasi. But this is the only information I could get. I don't know much about the company.

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by NCANpatroller: 6:45pm On Sep 22, 2017
makydebbie:
I'm based in Accra not Kumasi. But this is the only information I could get. I don't know much about the company.
Abrefa Plaza, Westland Road, North Legon, Accra, Ghana They ve an address in accra
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Dalek(m): 6:46pm On Sep 22, 2017
lovelygurl:

I doubt this is still the case

tbvh honest i know it wasnt true about the dead and shit. i was only making a point and the reaction you're giving is the i feel when someone feels they can talk shit about house. culture is diversity, and i will always appreciate what makes human different but not to ridicule people cuz of their ways. NEVER

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by makydebbie(f): 6:46pm On Sep 22, 2017
NCANpatroller:

Abrefa Plaza, Westland Road, North Legon, Accra, Ghana They ve an address in accra
Okay so how can I help you with it?
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by makydebbie(f): 6:47pm On Sep 22, 2017
Stevengerd:
I will come ooo verysoon, inshort am wrking on a "single" titled chichinaga.
Wow that is very nice.
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by FemiEddy(m): 6:48pm On Sep 22, 2017
Amajerry83:
Looool...How do they produce it? Cause i heard something strange too but dont know if its same with what u've heard.

lepers make kuli kuli with deir bare hands in d north
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Lalas247(f): 6:48pm On Sep 22, 2017
FemiEddy:

I tell u, I immediately lost appetite for Kuli-Kuli grin
Hmmm starting to suspect
Ewa agoyin but I don't care ... I will still eat that one grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by NCANpatroller: 6:48pm On Sep 22, 2017
makydebbie:
Okay so how can I help you with it?

I just wanna know if they still do business In ghana

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Nobody: 6:48pm On Sep 22, 2017
Dalek:

tbvh honest i know it wasnt true about the dead and shit. i was only making a point and the reaction you're giving is the i feel when someone feels they can talk shit about house. culture is diversity, and i will always appreciate what makes human different but not to ridicule people cuz of their ways. NEVER

You were not making a point rather you are in no way different.
I'm Yoruba myself, if he doesn't like Amala, do you intend on forcing it down his throat?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Dalek(m): 6:49pm On Sep 22, 2017
lovelygurl:

Don't turn this into a tribal fight Mr.
stop being naive and stupid! How are you any different than the person talking bad aboutt Yoruba's food. Or do you now deem it fit to play that childish game of "but he started it" undecided

but why don't you say the same to them i ask -_-/

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by FemiEddy(m): 6:50pm On Sep 22, 2017
Lalas247:

Hmmm starting to suspect
Ewa agoyin but I don't care ... I will still eat that one grin
grin grin fire on!

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Lalas247(f): 6:51pm On Sep 22, 2017
makydebbie:
100% true. What is most celebrated in Ghana is burial/funerals. I went for a wedding and I was given snacks, but if it's burial now they'll cook and make merry like it's a wonderful thing. The thing weak me honestly.

Tensazangetsu20 is right.
So sad
I mean the main reason why I go to weddings .. is for food God forgive me but it's the truth
What the hell are we going to use to wash mouth grin

Wow nice learning new things .. Ghana guys because of this do not attempt to propose kolewerk grin

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Bellfun(m): 6:51pm On Sep 22, 2017
Rakiticbarca:
Benue state, Tiv land they celebrate burial more than any other thing, imagine fixing a burial date for a child that was just a week old.
You see guys scouting for burial venue just to go and eat and merry.

Sex is not also left out as it's not seen as anything, incest is not an issue.

Nudity? That one is nothing.

grin

Incest?!
Are you for real?!!!
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by makydebbie(f): 6:51pm On Sep 22, 2017
NCANpatroller:

I just wanna know if they still do business In ghana
I'm sure they've a line on goggle, call the line.
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Dalek(m): 6:52pm On Sep 22, 2017
lovelygurl:

You were not making a point rather you are in no way different.
I'm Yoruba myself, if he doesn't like Amala, do you intend on forcing it down his throat?

obviously you didn't the read btw the lines, i can't force anyone to like it.i for one don't like it (even the white one: lafuun). grin
but the hypocrisy in their post elicit my response it's the first time dey are dey saying shit about the food as a means to insult

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by captainbell: 6:52pm On Sep 22, 2017
that was when I was serving in the east, and I saw people been served food and even beer in a burial ceremony of a 13 years old boy, I my place (south west) it's a taboo to even drink water talkless of eating food in a burial ceremony of someone who is not old, (50 years at least)

8 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Dalek(m): 6:55pm On Sep 22, 2017
gentlechyke:

That's not the normal thing. It applies in certain remote traditions when a man dies mysteriously and d woman is a suspect

i really can't say sha, but i think the inheritance issue is true. there was a topic here on the last year about a woman who went to court cuz dey won't give her, her father's stuffs

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Sep 22, 2017
Dalek:

but why don't you say the same to them i ask -_-/

Why would I? This is about how he felt. He unlike you didn't lie about sth. He simply stated his feelings. I am definitely sure you won't be able to eat some igbo foods too. Stop being ridiculous and childish

8 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Outofsync(m): 6:57pm On Sep 22, 2017
Still has to be when I visited the East for a wedding between my uncle and his wife.

In my own small mind then, I thought soups made with vegetables were a waste of time.

The trip convinced me of my stupidity.

Because mehn, Igbos sabi cook soup cheesy

18 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by NCANpatroller: 6:58pm On Sep 22, 2017
makydebbie:
I'm sure they've a line on goggle, call the line.

Ok. Calling Is expensive. They ve not responded to my email
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Stevengerd(m): 7:00pm On Sep 22, 2017
makydebbie:
Wow that is very nice.
Once am done, will drop it here on NL. I think the ghanians will be able to relate with it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Recognized By US Lawmakers At The House Of Reps In Washington / Olu Of Warri Kicks Out Ayiri, Revalidates Iyatsere, 10 Other Itsekiri Chiefs / Oyinbo Woman Pays Homage To Oba Of Benin In His Palace. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.