Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,503 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:28 PM

What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? (49530 Views)

Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria / South Africa Culture Shock: 2 Scantly Dressed Women, Different Public Reactions / Shock As Men Steal Meat From Lions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Outofsync(m): 7:00pm On Sep 22, 2017
lovelygurl:

You were not making a point rather you are in no way different.
I'm Yoruba myself, if he doesn't like Amala, do you intend on forcing it down his throat?

Yoruba person that has never tasted amala, never experienced the soft yet firm feel of Iyan in his/her hands,

is that one Yoruba undecided

10 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Dalek(m): 7:00pm On Sep 22, 2017
lovelygurl:

Why would I? This is about how he felt. He unlike you didn't lie about sth. He simply stated his feelings. I am definitely sure you won't be able to eat some info foods too. Stop being ridiculous and childish

bae if you know the love i have for oha soup ehn with hot fufu grin
but you don't see my saying rubbish about their soups or dishes. like the one dey make with periwinkles sad

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Nobody: 7:02pm On Sep 22, 2017
Outofsync:

Yoruba person that has never tasted amala, never experienced the soft yet firm feel of Iyan in his/her hands,

Stop making assumptions, perhaps then you would not sound that foolish

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Dalek(m): 7:02pm On Sep 22, 2017
Outofsync:

na wen i dey small i eat am last, i don't know why i no just like am. same with that nonsense wheat
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Sep 22, 2017
gnykelly:
THE IBO HEREDITARY SYSTEM

what is the worth of a woman : in ibo tradition, an unmarried woman has no right in her fathers property. not even a say.

even when married and she never give birth to a male child she will not be allowed to inherit her husband property.

the female gender is seen as an object of satisfaction and if she doesn't meet up she is thrown out with contempt.

at their marriage the female gender is seen as a commodity that need to be sold her value tally with the things that the family had spent on her. if she had a degree education her bride price is of higher value. than those without education.

in the Ibo culture when a man cheat it is easily overlooked. but the case of a woman will invoke the curse of god and eternal damnation.

I see this things first hand during my service in the eastern part of the country.

I am of the feeling that the Ibo tribe need reorientation on civil ways of taking care of the child and not to see her as just an object because it is affecting the self-steem of an average ibo lady.

You lie! Bride price is a family discussion, nothing like education or not. And that a woman not inheriting properties has been squashed by the Supreme Court. Women now inherit properties.
We take care of our ladies especially the first daughter, "Ada", in some families or clans she has the highest bride price.
An Ordinary Igbo man makes sure her daughters are educated while the male children learns trading or art. What you wrote down was the old Igbo culture that has been out of existence for many years now.
Thanks though for bringing to light these plights of women.

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Nobody: 7:05pm On Sep 22, 2017
Dalek:

bae if you know the love i have for oha soup ehn with hot fufu grin
but you don't see my saying rubbish about their soups or dishes. like the one dey make with periwinkles sad

With okra soup you mean ila alasepo? I hate fufu. Eba all the way grin with efo tete or efo riro grin
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Chommieblaq(f): 7:05pm On Sep 22, 2017
farellstone:
imagine, someone wrote what was a culture shock to her, and you are saying it is not shocking (sic). Are you her?

I'm not her, doesn't stop me from saying how I see it.
Probably I didn't put it well, but then I meant no harm.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Eleganza33(f): 7:07pm On Sep 22, 2017
eaglechild:
Went on a one week trip to Singapore.
In my connecting flight I was the only black person on the fully booked 767 and I recall the ticket attendant kept looking at me like say I miss road when I wanted to board.

Despite being a "global" city the only other black person I saw was on a movie set being shot in the street.
You can't chew gum in public and could get arrested and charged a fine for that. Overall, it is a beautiful and super clean place.
I cancelled my proposed trip to Bali an even more obscure destination.

Still love travelling, guess I just won't be doing that alone.
lets travel 2geda den
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by DocAdray(f): 7:07pm On Sep 22, 2017
I learnt from an Idoma friend of mine that their culture don't permit the use of family planning and birth control. Also, their women are traditionally and spiritually tied to their husbands via a special kolanut eaten during their traditional wedding ceremony.
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by gentlechyke(m): 7:08pm On Sep 22, 2017
Dalek:

i really can't say sha, but i think the inheritance issue is true. there was a topic here on the last year about a woman who went to court cuz dey won't give her, her father's stuffs

Reason being that the male child suceeds the father; his name, bloodline, undiluted gene, and his name just like the jews in the bible unlike ladies that marry out to their husbands lineage...where the man has no male child, either his immediate brothers inherit his properties or in their discretion leave it for the woman as the culture has evolved
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by pafek(m): 7:08pm On Sep 22, 2017
makydebbie:
I'm sure they've a line on goggle, call the line.
I ve never been to Ghana., but if Ghanaians are as courteous as thou art? then me liky them Ghanaians..., for 9ka here we are so frustrated that we reply question with question when in good mood or with insults if in bad mood

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by adeblow(m): 7:08pm On Sep 22, 2017
FemiEddy:
The day I saw how they process Kulikuli in the north...........I am still shocked shocked
I think u meant kilishi
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Outofsync(m): 7:10pm On Sep 22, 2017
lovelygurl:

I'll forgive you for this.

You are a woman, after all.

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Sep 22, 2017
Dalek:

azin i weak o as yoruba it's normal thing, all my aunt's got a share of my grandparents properties. but them first they sell the daughters and disavow them

the case go worse if her husband dies, shave head, Drink the water used in washing the corpse et al

Nollywood has destroyed you. Travel to the Igbos, no one drink corpse shit in igboland.
You might shave your as a sign of respect, if you like. My mom shaved hers while my aunt did not. It doesn't matter.
Well my mom got her Father's properties, even got bigger share than the male children.
Almost everything in Igbo is about your clan or your family. Explore you, thanks

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by hilroy: 7:11pm On Sep 22, 2017
Are we still talking about cultural shocks? undecided

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by pafek(m): 7:12pm On Sep 22, 2017
lovelygurl:

this ur reply sounds frustration inbound in you. and I think you think you need hot afternoon knacking to calm you down

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Outofsync(m): 7:12pm On Sep 22, 2017
Dalek:

na wen i dey small i eat am last, i don't know why i no just like am. same with that nonsense wheat
shocked

You don't like Amala, nor do you like Iyan??

Baba, e be like say you miss road when you were coming to this world. grin

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by makydebbie(f): 7:13pm On Sep 22, 2017
Lalas247:

So sad
I mean the main reason why I go to weddings .. is for food God forgive me but it's the truth
What the hell are we going to use to wash mouth grin

Wow nice learning new things .. Ghana guys because of this do not attempt to propose kolewerk grin
Lol bae it's not that bad. tongue
It's only three weddings I've attended and I no get food to chop. embarassed Maybe others will be different sha.
So you no fit attend my court wedding? sad cry
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Sep 22, 2017
Outofsync:

I'll forgive you for this.

You are a woman, after all.

Why am I am not surprised someone as stupid as you is also a sexist undecided

Forgive? Don't embarrass yourself. No one asked you for your forgiveness, no one even cares about it and whom you give undecided

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Dalek(m): 7:13pm On Sep 22, 2017
lovelygurl:

With okra soup you mean ila alasepo? I hate fufu. Eba all the way grin with efo tete or efo riro grin

actually oha soup na igbo dish and i love that thing ehn. maybe the woman i dey buy am for jazz me sha sad
but fufu na savior during nysc with okro i can go a whole day cheesy
ile alasepo ehn i can cook the hell out of it, same with dry okro until my neighbor say he go affect my manhood oo grin
ila over efo anyday but egusi sure

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by makydebbie(f): 7:14pm On Sep 22, 2017
NCANpatroller:

Ok. Calling Is expensive. They ve not responded to my email
I'm currently not in Ghana too, is it urgent? I'll be in ghana next week. So I can call for you.
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Sep 22, 2017
Dalek:

actually oha soup na igbo dish and i love that thing ehn. maybe the woman i dey buy am for jazz me sha sad
but fufu na savior during nysc with okro i can go a whole day cheesy
ile alasepo ehn i can cook the hell out of it, same with dry okro until my neighbor say he go affect my manhood oo grin

Loool ok, never heard if oha soup but I doubt okra is going to affect your manhood grin

Don't worry you are safe grin
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Dalek(m): 7:16pm On Sep 22, 2017
Outofsync:
shocked

You don't like Amala, nor do you like Iyan??

Baba, e be like say you miss road when you were coming to this world. grin

see ehn no try me with iyan, i go finish you. iyan and okro or efo or marigbo. guy you go fear. na only amala i no dey eat

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Outofsync(m): 7:16pm On Sep 22, 2017
makydebbie:
100% true. What is most celebrated in Ghana is burial/funerals. I went for a wedding and I was given snacks, but if it's burial now they'll cook and make merry like it's a wonderful thing. The thing weak me honestly.

Tensazangetsu20 is right.

Err are you really sure about this??

Because I recall my Ghanaian teacher in secondary school usually shows disdain when he sees people serving food at Burials.

In his words "it means you are happy the person is dead and you want more people to die".

Your claim sounds.....

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by makydebbie(f): 7:16pm On Sep 22, 2017
Stevengerd:
Once am done, will drop it here on NL. I think the ghanians will be able to relate with it.
Okay dear, anticipating.
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by makydebbie(f): 7:17pm On Sep 22, 2017
pafek:

I ve never been to Ghana., but if Ghanaians are as courteous as thou art? then me liky them Ghanaians..., for 9ka here we are so frustrated that we reply question with question when in good mood or with insults if in bad mood
Awwwn, he was nice that's why. I'm a mean little angel you know. wink

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by charlsecy(m): 7:17pm On Sep 22, 2017
FemiEddy:
The day I saw how they process Kulikuli in the north.....
How do they prepare peanut cake (kwili-kwili)?
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Sep 22, 2017
pafek:

this ur reply sounds frustration inbound in you. and I think you think you need hot afternoon knacking to calm you down

While your reply proves you are the one really in need of one, while also proving how some people are jobless amebos. Don't worry. There's hope, Nigeria will get better and you'll finally get yourself a job. But then again while your mates are making themselves useful to the world, you'll be in an ashewo joint, hoping to get laid.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Dalek(m): 7:19pm On Sep 22, 2017
lovelygurl:

Loool ok, never heard if oha soup but I doubt okra is going to affect your manhood grin

Don't worry you are safe grin

funny thing i don't even know watin dem dey use cook the oha soup.
even me no fit stop okro, my manhood can park well. i just love the stuff. with 100 i dey cook alasepo grin

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by makydebbie(f): 7:19pm On Sep 22, 2017
Outofsync:

Err are you really sure about this??

Because I recall my Ghanaian teacher in secondary school usually shows disdain when he sees people serving food at Burials.

In his words "it means you are happy the person is dead and you want more people to die".

Your claim sounds.....
Sounds what? That's what I met in Ghana. Burials are taken as a big deal. If you don't believe, go there.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by pafek(m): 7:21pm On Sep 22, 2017
makydebbie:
Awwwn, he was nice that's why. I'm a mean little angel you know. wink
well, with your responses? don't think you can be as mean as YOU PERSIVE.
I think I should know 1 when I meet 1
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Stevengerd(m): 7:23pm On Sep 22, 2017
makydebbie:
Okay dear, anticipating.
Thanks!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Olu Of Warri Kicks Out Ayiri, Revalidates Iyatsere, 10 Other Itsekiri Chiefs / Oyinbo Woman Pays Homage To Oba Of Benin In His Palace. Photos / The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.