Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,134 members, 7,849,551 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 12:24 AM

The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ - Sports (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ (40460 Views)

Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? / The Rise And Rise Of Samuel Chukwueze / Russia 2018 – Hazard Takes Swipe At England’s Golden Generation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:30pm On Oct 04, 2017
Rohr – Difficult For Me To Pick Starting Line Up For Zambia Tie, Everybody Wants To Play

Coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria Gernot Rohr has revealed that he is facing difficulties in picking a starting line up for their game against Zambia on Saturday.

Rohr has the full compliment of the players invited for the game in Uyo, with Nigeria needing a win to seal her passage to the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

Aside their presence, the coach also revealed that their fitness level and commitment has also made it hard for him in deciding on a starting line up for the game.

“Everybody is looking fit, no injuries so I hope that it will be
difficult for me to choose eleven starting players because everybody want to play, so it’s a good confidence”, he said after their evening training session.

“Now we are going to continue tomorrow. It will be a close training session I ask you (journalist) to understand because we need to prepare our team at least once alone”, Rohr concluded.

**Shedrack Obi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/04/rohr-difficult-for-me-to-pick-starting-line-up-for-zambia-tie-everybody-wants-to-play/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:35pm On Oct 04, 2017
Super Eagles Training Session : Moses Looking Fit & Sharp, Iwobi Has Eagle Eyes, Aina Bedding-In

The Super Eagles had their second training session at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium in Uyo on Wednesday evening, with two mini-games taking place.

The training games were quite competitive as the players sought to win the hearts of the coaching staff.
While the German tactician gave a clue of the players he intends to start in defense and attack, he left everyone guessing about his preferred options in midfield and who will be in between the pipes.

Five players trained for the first time with the team today and here's how they performed:

Victor Moses: He got on well and took on his markers well with his dribbles. He looked fit and sharp.

Chidozie Awaziem: Was his usual self, trying to pass out of defense even though one or two didn't come off majorly due to no one opening up for him. He did put in a couple of tackles preventing the opponent from scoring.

Alex Iwobi: The Arsenal man played from the right hand side and always looking to pass to his free teammates. Kept finding spaces to receive he ball and launch the attacks.

Ola Aina: The Chelsea loanee is bedding-in. He did fine and tried to go forward when he had the opportunity.

Moses Simon: The Gent star whose main attributes are running at speed and turning his marker looked to beat his opponents at any given opportunity and did deliver some crosses for the main striker. Set to keep his place in the starting XI.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24888
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:43pm On Oct 04, 2017
How Super Eagles Team A & B Lined Up In Wednesday Evening's Training

The Super Eagles held their second training session at the practice pitch of the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium on Wednesday evening.

After an initial physical session of stretching and running, manager Gernot Rohr organized two mini-games in a reduced size pitch with all the players named to the 23-man roster for the World Cup qualifier against Zambia taking part.

The first practice game involved 'monkey posts', with long flexible poles, while three quarters of one half of the training pitch was used for the second training game.

Victor Moses, who arrived in Uyo today, took part in the session as well as Elderson Echiejile, having overcome his injury problem.

Team A wore blue bibs on top of green jerseys and contained Elderson Echiejile, Troost-Ekong, Leon Balogun, Abdullahi Shehu, Eddy Onazi, Ifeanyi Ifeanyi, Wilfred Ndidi, Ahmed Musa, Alex Iwobi, Kelechi Iheanacho and Tony Nwakakeme.

Chidozie Awaziem, Uche Agbo, Ola Aina, John Ogu, Mikel Agu, Afeez Aremu, Oghenekaro Etebo, Mikel Obi, Victor Moses, Moses Simon and Odion Ighalo were in the team that wore green jerseys without bibs (Team B).

Akpeyi, Ezenwa and Ajiboye were involved in a session with the goalkeeper trainer as the outfield players were doing their thing.

During the second training game, the teams were the same, with the exception of the fact that the two Akwa United midfielders Ifeanyi and Aremu were replaced by Akpeyi and Ezenwa respectively.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24887
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:46pm On Oct 04, 2017
Super Eagles ignoring Zambia mind games
By Colin Udoh, KweséESPN

Attempts by Zambia to spark a war of words with Nigeria ahead of their 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier are falling flat, with the Super Eagles players refusing to take the proverbial bait.

When asked about the continued stream of words coming out of the Zambia camp, a posse of Nigerian players refused to be drawn, even declining to go on record.

"Let them talk, I am not doing any talking for this match," a prominent Nigeria player told KweséESPN.

"We have seen all what they are talking. Our focus is on our game."

Team official Patrick Pascal emphasised the squad's focus on preparations rather than talk, ahead of their clash in Uyo on Saturday.

"They don't want to say anything. They have left all the talking to the Zambians. The say the coach will speak for them while they focus on qualifying for the World Cup," Pascal said.

"Those who will attend the press conference, like the captain, will do so but they just want to do their talking on the field."

Source: http://kwese.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/20915158/super-eagles-ignoring-zambia-mind-games?device=featurephone
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:57pm On Oct 04, 2017
Sunday Oliseh bringing excitement back to Fortuna Sittard
By Michael Yohkin

Imagine that you are in charge of a club struggling at the foot of the Dutch second division when Sunday Oliseh calls to inform you that he is available for the vacant coaching position.
Fortuna Sittard's technical director, Charly Chudik, was surprised to hear the voice of the former Nigerian star late last December. The team seemed to be in a disastrous state in 18th place. Why would such a famous person be interested? And why would he get in touch instead of sending his agent, as it is usually done?

The answer is simple -- Oliseh really wanted the job.

"I received various offers after resigning from the Nigerian national team," he said in an interview with ELF Voetbal magazine.

"A top club from South Africa, a club from Portugal and numerous national football federations approached me, but I wasn't interested. Family is the most important thing to me. I wanted to go to a place that would make me happy. Sittard is just 45 minutes by car from my home."

Married to a Belgian, Oliseh lives in Eupen, and that is where he took his first job as a technical director in 2007, but left after six months because he didn't like working in the office. His first coaching experience followed at tiny Verviers in the Belgian third division, but then Oliseh became a pundit, and only came back to the dugout when Nigeria offered him the post in 2015. It was a short and very eventful affair, with Oliseh eventually choosing to quit over allegedly unpaid wages and return to his natural surroundings.

Sittard, situated in Limburg close to the Belgian border, are a proud club of interesting heritage. They may have only won two cup trophies more than half a century ago, but spent long seasons in the Eredivisie and nurtured a number of quality players, including the former Barcelona and Bayern Munich midfielder Mark van Bommel.

However, Fortuna were not fortunate at all following relegation in 2001, and went close to bankruptcy at least three times. Turkish businessman Isitan Gun took over in the summer of 2016 and saved them.

"Without Gun, Fortuna wouldn't have been around these days. He brought stability to the club and appointed new people to the board," De Gelderlander journalist Robert Husken tells ESPN FC.

The 2016-17 season was tough in the extreme, though, and coach Ben van Dael was fired following a terrible run of just one point from nine matches. Oliseh was waiting for that opportunity to offer himself, and the club got a coach they could never have dreamt of.

During his illustrious playing career the Nigerian took part in two World Cup tournaments, scoring a majestic goal against Spain in 1994, won the gold medal at the 1996 Olympics, won the title in the Netherlands with Ajax, and represented Juventus and Borussia Dortmund as well.

Now, as the first black African coach ever in the Netherlands, he has had to deal with a different situation. Fortuna played in front of empty stands in recent years, but Oliseh changed the atmosphere around the club almost immediately. He got off to a winning start at the magnificently named Achilles'29, and proceeded to get some outstanding results. The 5-2 win over Ajax reserves, having trailed 2-0 at half-time, was especially memorable and fans started to flow back to the stadium.
Sittard only lost five times in the second round under the new coach and finished the season well above the relegation zone.

Not all the reports were positive. Oliseh's spell with the national team was marred by conflicts with senior players, most notably the popular goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama, who was stripped of captaincy and forced into international retirement. Curiously, that was the case at Fortuna, too, as veteran captain Ferry de Regt left the club in the summer, having fallen out with the Nigerian.
Assistant coach Tini Ruijs and goalkeeping coach Patrick Creemers left too, unable to work under Oliseh.

In an editorial published in June, De Limburger journalist Patrick Delait accused Oliseh of installing authoritarian regime.

"He behaves like a governor, and nobody dares to contradict him," he wrote.
"By constantly sharpening internal relationships, the Nigerian is becoming a ticking bomb. He looks sympathetic on TV, but behind the scenes he is a wolf in sheep's clothing."

So far, those pessimistic expectations haven't come true. On the contrary, Oliseh has made a phenomenal start to the season, winning five games out of seven, and only losing once. Following the 6-0 triumph at previously unbeaten Telstar last Friday, the biggest away win in club history, Fortuna are second in the table behind Jong Ajax, and technically lead the race because the Amsterdam side are ineligible for promotion.

That is not the only record broken by Oliseh, either. Taking the previous season into account, Fortuna are on an unprecedented run of eight home wins in a row.
And the first goal at Telstar was scored by 17-year-old sensation Perr Schuurs, the youngest captain in club history.

Born in November 1999, he was given the armband in the summer by Oliseh, who explained:

"If you are good enough, you are old enough." There is little doubt that Schuurs is a huge talent -- he was invited to train with Liverpool in the summer, while Ajax and PSV Eindhoven reportedly made offers to sign him.

Oliseh certainly enjoys working with youngsters much more. Out went the likes of De Regt and 33-year-old striker Sjoerd Ars; in came exciting prospects like Portuguese duo Andre Vidigal, 19, and 21-year-old Lisandro Semedo. They are ably supported by two more 21-year-olds: Finn Stokkers and Djibril Dianessy.

Having laid solid defensive foundations, Oliseh is letting his team play an attacking brand of football, with 21 goals scored so far. Talking to ESPN FC, Delait now admits: "Oliseh is a good motivator who is very strict with his tactics. Fortuna play as a unit under him."

Husken added: "Sunday is a no-nonsense coach who is very clear on what he expects from his players. Having such a star on the bench makes a massive influence on the team."

Few pundits expect Fortuna to keep running and gain promotion, but the youngsters are starting to dream big.

"The spirit of the squad is truly incredible. I have to calm the players at times, because everyone is so hungry," Oliseh told AD recently.

The turnaround had been phenomenal already and the Nigerian is making a name for himself as a coach. But the club will be wary, lest he be lured away from his home in Eupen after his contract at Sittard ends next summer. If he can gain promotion, though, managing such a tight knit team in the Eredivisie could bring some surprising results.

Source: http://kwese.espn.com/football/club/fortuna-sittard/143/blog/post/3220151/sunday-oliseh-bringing-excitement-back-to-fortuna-sittard?device=featurephone
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:28am On Oct 05, 2017
ANTHONY NWAKAEME READY TO GRAB EAGLES CHANCE WITH ‘BOTH HANDS’
By Shina Oludare

The impressive Israel-based forward is hoping to prove himself against the Chipolopolo if given a chance by Gernot Rohr
Anthony Nwakaeme is eager to make a big impression if handed his debut against Zambia on Saturday.

The forward was called up for the clash against Cameroon, thanks to his awe-inspiring form at Hapoel Be’er Sheva.

But the 28-year-old did not make his much-awaited international bow as the Super Eagles recorded impressive results against the reigning African kings.

While expressing his contentment despite his no-show against Hugo Broos’ side, Nwakaeme has vowed to prove his worth if fielded against Wedson Nyirenda’s men.

“If that happens, I will embrace with my hands and legs because I am here to play for my country,” he told Goal.

“The coach has the final say but left for me, I’m fully prepared to take my chances and make Nigerians happy. “No bad mood not playing against Cameroon because we achieved our aim. Besides, it’s all about time and I know it will come soon.

“It was a great experience watching my team demolish Cameroon 4-0. And against Zambia, I expect good football and same hunger like we showed in our last game because we are ready and know what is at stake.”

Source: http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/anthony-nwakaeme-ready-to-grab-eagles-chance-with-both-hands/cdyxjnky6w1812n3mnfi4d7zg
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by profmathsland(m): 5:53am On Oct 05, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Rohr – Difficult For Me To Pick Starting Line Up For Zambia Tie, Everybody Wants To Play

Coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria Gernot Rohr has revealed that he is facing difficulties in picking a starting line up for their game against Zambia on Saturday.

Rohr has the full compliment of the players invited for the game in Uyo, with Nigeria needing a win to seal her passage to the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

Aside their presence, the coach also revealed that their fitness level and commitment has also made it hard for him in deciding on a starting line up for the game.

difficult for me to choose eleven starting players because everybody want to play, so it’s a good confidence”, he said after their evening training session.

“Now we are going to continue tomorrow. It will be a close training session I ask you (journalist) to understand because we need to prepare our team at least once alone”, Rohr concluded.

**Shedrack Obi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/04/rohr-difficult-for-me-to-pick-starting-line-up-for-zambia-tie-everybody-wants-to-play/

It's up to the coach to really look for a real testing way to tactically pick a strong starting 11.A lot has indeed changed since the meeting of Zambia in Ndola last year.
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by profmathsland(m): 5:55am On Oct 05, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
ANTHONY NWAKAEME READY TO GRAB EAGLES CHANCE WITH ‘BOTH HANDS’
By Shina Oludare

The impressive Israel-based forward is hoping to prove himself against the Chipolopolo if given a chance by Gernot Rohr
Anthony Nwakaeme is eager to make a big impression if handed his debut against Zambia on Saturday.

The forward was called up for the clash against Cameroon, thanks to his awe-inspiring form at Hapoel Be’er Sheva.

But the 28-year-old did not make his much-awaited international bow as the Super Eagles recorded impressive results against the reigning African kings.

While expressing his contentment despite his no-show against Hugo Broos’ side, Nwakaeme has vowed to prove his worth if fielded against Wedson Nyirenda’s men.

“If that happens, I will embrace with my hands and legs because I am here to play for my country,” he told Goal.

“The coach has the final say but left for me, I’m fully prepared to take my chances and make Nigerians happy. “No bad mood not playing against Cameroon because we achieved our aim. Besides, it’s all about time and I know it will come soon.

“It was a great experience watching my team demolish Cameroon 4-0. And against Zambia, I expect good football and same hunger like we showed in our last game because we are ready and know what is at stake.”

Source: http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/anthony-nwakaeme-ready-to-grab-eagles-chance-with-both-hands/cdyxjnky6w1812n3mnfi4d7zg

Surely he will get his bow but it remains to be seen how? The nature of the game will determine his debut or not?

1 Like

Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by profmathsland(m): 5:58am On Oct 05, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Super Eagles ignoring Zambia mind games
By Colin Udoh, KweséESPN

Attempts by Zambia to spark a war of words with Nigeria ahead of their 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier are falling flat, with the Super Eagles players refusing to take the proverbial bait.

When asked about the continued stream of words coming out of the Zambia camp, a posse of Nigerian players refused to be drawn, even declining to go on record.

"Let them talk, I am not doing any talking for this match," a prominent Nigeria player told KweséESPN.

"We have seen all what they are talking. Our focus is on our game."

Team official Patrick Pascal emphasised the squad's focus on preparations rather than talk, ahead of their clash in Uyo on Saturday.

"They don't want to say anything. They have left all the talking to the Zambians. The say the coach will speak for them while they focus on qualifying for the World Cup," Pascal said.

"Those who will attend the press conference, like the captain, will do so but they just want to do their talking on the field."

Source: http://kwese.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/20915158/super-eagles-ignoring-zambia-mind-games?device=featurephone

Sometimes when the real arsenals of your team will not be available you might be left with little or no choice than to say something to try and gain attention from the opposition which may have an effect or not.
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by profmathsland(m): 6:00am On Oct 05, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
How Super Eagles Team A & B Lined Up In Wednesday Evening's Training

The Super Eagles held their second training session at the practice pitch of the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium on Wednesday evening.

After an initial physical session of stretching and running, manager Gernot Rohr organized two mini-games in a reduced size pitch with all the players named to the 23-man roster for the World Cup qualifier against Zambia taking part.

The first practice game involved 'monkey posts', with long flexible poles, while three quarters of one half of the training pitch was used for the second training game.

Victor Moses, who arrived in Uyo today, took part in the session as well as Elderson Echiejile, having overcome his injury problem.

Team A wore blue bibs on top of green jerseys and contained Elderson Echiejile, Troost-Ekong, Leon Balogun, Abdullahi Shehu, Eddy Onazi, Ifeanyi Ifeanyi, Wilfred Ndidi, Ahmed Musa, Alex Iwobi, Kelechi Iheanacho and Tony Nwakakeme.

Chidozie Awaziem, Uche Agbo, Ola Aina, John Ogu, Mikel Agu, Afeez Aremu, Oghenekaro Etebo, Mikel Obi, Victor Moses, Moses Simon and Odion Ighalo were in the team that wore green jerseys without bibs (Team B).

Akpeyi, Ezenwa and Ajiboye were involved in a session with the goalkeeper trainer as the outfield players were doing their thing.

During the second training game, the teams were the same, with the exception of the fact that the two Akwa United midfielders Ifeanyi and Aremu were replaced by Akpeyi and Ezenwa respectively.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24887

It's a welcome development. Now everybody is still wondering who was the person that was with Victor Moses?
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:56pm On Oct 05, 2017
Rohr Speaks On Coaching Zidane, Desire To Beat Germany At The World Cup In Russia

Many followers of the Super Eagles of Nigeria are not aware of the coaching credentials of the present coach of the team Gernot Rohr, who has helped them to a win away from qualifying for the World Cup.
Nigeria have moved from the team that failed to qualify for back to back Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) to a team that is on the verge of been the first Africa nation to qualify for the World Cup in Russia, if they can beat Zambia in Uyo.

Rohr in a chat with newsmen in Uyo revealed his desire to be at the World Cup with Nigeria is even more than that of the players, as it will be the peak of his coaching career.

Although he has had some very happy moment as a player and later as a coach, the highest which according to him is helping the likes of French super stars Bixente Lizarazu, Christopher Dugarry and Zinedine Zidane become football icons.

He handled the trio during the formative years of their career at Bordeaux where he was the head coach, but according to him the joy of being associated with such top stars can’t be equated to what he will feel if he leads Nigeria to the World Cup.

” It’s very important for the coach, it’s a big challenge to go to the World Cup, of course we want to go there absolutely. I had a long career like a player and like a coach. I have a lot of beautiful things to celebrate “, Rohr said.

” Yes, I am happy I had the chance to coach players like Zidane, Dugarry and Lizarazu in Bordeaux we went to the final of the European Cup. So we had wonderful thing already but the most beautiful thing, and I will go there is to go to the World Cup, and then beat my home country Germany “. He concluded.

**Ade Emmanuel

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/05/rohr-speaks-on-coaching-zidane-desire-to-beat-germany-at-the-world-cup-in-russia/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:00pm On Oct 05, 2017
(See Photo) – Drills On Counter Attack Tops Zambia Training Session In Abuja

The senior national team of Zambia had their first training session in Nigeria ahead of their clash against the Super Eagles of Nigeria in Uyo on Saturday.

Zambia are expected to arrive Uyo later today, but had a one hour session in Abuja at the popular astro turf pitch to loosen up after arriving Abuja yesterday evening fron Ghana, where they had a training camp.

It started with the players observing the traditional warm up session which lasted a little over twenty-five minutes, before doing drills on shooting with the players up against the three goalkeepers of the team.

Coach Wedson Nyirenda later shared them into two teams for a training match, which had a lot to do with how they could play against Nigeria as the coach spent time on counter-attack drills.
Nyirenda also spent time with his defenders on drills that has to do with defending as a unit, with details on tracking the runs of quick forwards very much a part of the drill.

However the players were a bit uncomfortable with the nature of the playing surface of the astro turf , and as early as 40 minutes into the session that lasted a little over an hour they looked uncomfortable.

They won’t have to bother much about playing on astro turf as Saturday’s game which will be played at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium in Uyo will be on a pitch with natural grass.

**Osas Mahawi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/05/see-photo-drills-on-counter-attack-tops-zambia-training-session-in-abuja/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:12pm On Oct 05, 2017
Rohr Defends Ahmed Musa Invitation, Reveals Why Awaziem Was Selected Ahead Of Omeruo

Coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria Gernot Rohr has defended his decison to call Leicester City forward Ahmed Musa, who isn’t getting games at the club.

Musa’s invitation has divided opinion but the coach said his inclusion is justified as his experience is vital to the team, and also said the 24 year old has been getting games for the U23s of Leicester City, which has helped him stay fit.

“His attitude is very positive in the team. His World Cup experience is needed. He is a player who can have a very positive influence on his partners on the field of play. And that is why he is with us and I am happy to have him with us.” Rohr said.

” For your information, Ahmed Musa is playing with the second team [of Leicester] regularly and he is playing very well. Not in the third team but the second one. He played also in the Cup game and his influence in the team is good and positive,” The Franco-German coach concluded.

On his decison to exclude on loan Chelsea defender Kenneth Omeruo from his team, the coach said Omeruo has not been active at club level unlike the duo of Leon Balogun, William Troost-Ekong and Chidozie Awaziem who are all ahead of him in the pecking order.

“Omeruo? He doesn’t play. He didn’t play at all in the club. You must take players who play in the club regularly,” Rohr explained.

“He played with the third team of Chelsea, he didn’t play the pre season with them. He didn’t play in the friendlies. I think he played with the U23 team only and now he has gone back to Turkey.

“We have Balogun, we have Ekong, we have very good defenders now. We have Chidozie who play for Nantes, a first French division team. We need cohesion and continuation of such with the team.

“Kenneth is not eliminated totally but we only hope he can be playing regularly and then have the chance to come back.

“It’s better to have the same list we had against Cameroon because of the spirit of unity in that game and we need such in this game too.”

**Maxwell Pius

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/05/rohr-defends-ahmed-musa-invitation-reveals-why-awaziem-was-selected-ahead-of-omeruo/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:19pm On Oct 05, 2017
Super Eagles camp in High Spirits as Governor Udom redeems “$10,000 per goal” pledge

Akwa Ibom State Governor, Mr. Udom Emmanuel on Wednesday redeemed his pledge of $10,000 per goal for the matches against Cameroon to the Super Eagles, while calling on the three –time African champions to go all out for a win against Zambia on Saturday and expect ‘a handsome reward’ from him.

Governor Emmanuel had promised the players the sum of $10,000 for every goal, two days before their clash with the African Champions, whom the Eagles walloped 4-0 in Uyo on the first day of September, before earning a 1-1 draw with the Lions in Yaounde three days later.

On Wednesday, the football –loving Governor and great host of the Super Eagles in this qualifying campaign, said there is more where the money came from, if the team earns a sixth FIFA World Cup appearance by winning on Saturday.

“I know you have the quality to overcome in this important match, but I don’t want you to under –rate your opponents. I love the professionalism and dedication to the cause that you have shown since the beginning of this qualifying campaign. Those efforts have put Nigeria at the top of the table.

“I want to commend the NFF, your coaches and the support staff for the great job they have all done in support of your efforts to get to this position. You are just one win away from achieving your goal.

The Zambians are taking this game as a do-or-die affair, so we need to be totally focused and play like soldiers.”
Responding on behalf of the team, Captain Mikel John Obi thanked the Governor and pledged to him and indeed Nigerians everywhere that the Super Eagles will not disappoint on Saturday.

“We very much appreciate the role Your Excellency, the Government and good people of Akwa Ibom State, the NFF and Nigerians from all walks of life have played to get us to this position in this campaign. We knjpghow much this match means and we will go out there and do the job.”

Source: http://www.thebreakingtimes.com/super-eagles-camp-in-high-spirits-as-governor-udom-redeems-10000-per-goal-pledge/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:31pm On Oct 05, 2017
WILL NIGERIA GET IT RIGHT WITH ORGANISATION AGAINST ZAMBIA?
By Lolade Adewuyi, African Football Business Columnist

After the fine issued against the NFF due to pitch invasion against Cameroon, one expects better organisation in the game against the Chipolopolo

When someone falls, they rise up dust themselves up and continue on their journey with an awareness not to repeat the mistake that led to their previous slip. After the uproar from the last 2018 World Cup qualifying game in Uyo between Nigeria and Cameroon, one hopes that lessons learned will ensure a much better encounter when Zambia come calling on Saturday, October 7.

Much of the complaint centred on the issues of militarisation of the stadium environment, using one gate for fans’ entry instead of many, jamming internet signals once the political leadership of the state arrived at the stadium, and the working conditions that media faced. Following that game in Uyo that was in stark contrast with my experience in Yaounde, I spoke to a few staff of the Nigeria Football Federation about improving a few things.

However, it emerged that several issues have been running that way for a long time and that the NFF has not been able to convince the security services at the state level to leave internet active during matches. This is very visible at every Nigeria game that I have covered in the last five years – once the governor arrives, it is goodbye internet.

It emerged from my conversations that an external force needs to act upon the relationship between the state and the NFF in order to ensure that media conditions are improved upon. The NFF is a prisoner to its host - whenever there’s need to play a national team game, the NFF shops for a host state to bankroll the encounter. This leaves the NFF unable to enforce international standards required by FIFA and CAF, the sport’s governing bodies.

It happened in Kaduna where the state government declared free entry in an Afcon qualifier against Egypt that saw 40,000+ fans pack a stadium meant for 16,000 as the country barely escaped a tragedy. The NFF ended up with a fine of $5000.
Another fine of $31,000 was slapped on the NFF by FIFA this week over pitch invasion by fans following the game against Cameroon in Uyo.

Pretty soon, the NFF would run out of funds to pay these fines and then start to do proper crowd management. It is a knock on the work of the security team led by ACP Gideon Akinsola who has worked with the NFF for several years. What I observed in Uyo was that once the game ended, security staff turned their backs on the crowds and assumed that their work was over.
This emboldened unruly fans who jumped down from the stands and ran onto the pitch, some towards the players for selfies, others just to get a feel for the lush green pitch where history had just been made.

In September I addressed an email to the media offices of FIFA and CAF intimating them of the growing problems being faced by local and international media covering Nigeria matches. With joint evidence from another writer, China Acheru, who also covered the game, the governing bodies were forced to listen. CAF issued this response on behalf of FIFA:

“The CAF Media Division has since December 2014 organized series of capacity building seminars for Media Officers of the Member Associations, and the objective amongst others include enhancing media operations during local and international games.

“After discussions with the Communications Department of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), CAF in conjunction with FIFA hope that a minimum standard for media operations will be available for the next match against Zambia at the Akwa Ibom Stadium in Uyo and future international matches in Nigeria.
“We expect that media personnel will have appreciable working conditions to carry out their duties sound and secure,” it concluded.

As the media continues to invest in Nigerian football, the minimum we require is a good working environment to deliver our work to readers and fans from across the country and all over the world. Our work is enabled by free access to the internet during these national team encounters. Our work is made easier when security officials do not use arms against media trying to get into press conferences.

The fans of the national team who also pay their way to see these games must be treated better. It makes no logic to open one gate when a stadium has several then use pepper spray on them when they rush to get in as the kickoff neared. We need to ensure that proper crowd management is put in place for the game against Zambia otherwise we will begin to chase away fans from national team games. Fans must also be educated to desist from invading the pitch after the final whistle, it is not allowed by the FIFA statutes.

Saturday’s encounter against the Chipolopolo offers the NFF another opportunity to show it has learnt lessons from the last game in Uyo. The Communications Department has already changed its approach by offering media options to attend either the press conference or mixed zone. Access to the internet will be a key yardstick of their progress.

We will all be watching to see positive improvements in every aspect of the encounter. With a World Cup ticket at stake, the NFF and the Akwa Ibom Government have a lot to prove.

Source: http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/will-nigeria-get-it-right-with-organisation-against-zambia/1o5pmxz30sn2w1cw4yzrp20116
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:33pm On Oct 05, 2017
Your guess could be as good as mine Senor.... wink

profmathsland:

It's a welcome development. Now everybody is still wondering who was the person that was with Victor Moses?
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by Goke7: 2:36pm On Oct 05, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

**Shedrack Obi

where the major headache is i think is btw moses simon and alex iwobi, me think iwobi should come in the second half to frighten the zambians the more
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:52pm On Oct 05, 2017
DITCH AKPEYI FOR EZENWA AGAINST ZAMBIA - GOAL READERS
By Shina Oludare

Our poll conducted suggests that public opinion is in favour of the Chippa United man being dropped for the FC Ifeanyi Ubah captain
Ikechukwu Ezenwa deserves to start for Nigeria instead of Daniel Akpeyi, according to a vast majority of Goal's readers.
Despite underwhelming performances at the 2016 Olympic Games, Akpeyi has been Super Eagles’ No. 1 no thanks to Carl Ikeme’s absence, but errors of judgement in the nation’s shock defeat to South Africa in June drew question on his ability.
Against Cameroon, Ezenwa was the man in charge and he made breath-taking saves to halt the Indomitable Lions’ attacking juggernauts. At the Wafu Cup of Nations, he continued his fine form and was named tournament’s best goalkeeper.

Ahead of Saturday’s crunch game against Zambia, discussions have been revived on who should be relegated to second fiddle.

A whopping 74 percent (168 votes) of you believe Ifeanyi Ubah shot-stopper Ezenwa has earned the right to be named No.1 for the three-time African kings.

Akpeyi’s popularity has definitely plummeted and is some distance behind with 26% of the vote (58) - suggesting Gernot Rohr should stick to his battle-hardened guns.

On Twitter, the result is not different. Well, we’ll find out whether Rohr would give keep faith in Ezenwa or think otherwise.

Source: http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/ditch-akpeyi-for-ezenwa-against-zambia-goal-readers/1nj5x63xdxci71g32difus2rih

My take: Majority of Nigerians may not like to see Akpeyi in goal and it is understandable. Ezenwa himself is no world class performer between the sticks and is as best average but boasts great composure and high confidence... qualities which Akpeyi, judging from previous Super Eagles appearances haven't displayed to a good level.

Still, Akpeyi's last games for Chippa Utd where he kept two clean sheets and had a fine performance in another may suggest he could be on a reborn march... or is it a fluke? Well, camp reports also say he is very sharp and looks good bit same was also said about Ezenwa.

The fact is if we judge both by their last games in the green and white... both flunked!! Ezenwa's 4-1 nightmare against Ghana and Akpeyi's shaky performance in that 2-0 loss...

But by last games played anywhere else, Akpeyi boasts Two clean sheets from his last games for Chippa but Ezenwa boasts 4 goals in his net coming in that wafu cup final....

Truth is this is like picking the lesser of two evils.... who should we go for? Confidence + Composure + Bang Average Or Experience + Shaky + Little composure+ Bang Average.... devil or deep blue sea.... Cancer or HIV.... lol....

We all will have differing views... but I tell you this... Rohr will start Akepyi (in as much as I don't like that choice) if camp reports remain the same. If Both Ezenwa and Akpeyi keeps doing well in camp.... Rohr will go for Experience in Akpeyi.... most likely. But Hey! I could be wrong.... wink
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:57pm On Oct 05, 2017
I agree with you on this Sir.... Iwobi or Simon Moses is a major headache for Rohr. Who should start? wink

Another is Akpeyi or Ezenwa.... I call this second major. smiley

Ola Aina will likely start from the bench. I see Rohr leaving that defence untouched.

Goke7:

where the major headache is i think is btw moses simon and alex iwobi, me think iwobi should come in the second half to frighten the zambians the more
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:03pm On Oct 05, 2017
‘NO AMOUNT OF MONEY CAN GET ME MOTIVATED’ – IGHALO THIRSTS FOR WORLD CUP TICKET
By Shina Oludare.

Ahead of Saturday's clash against Chipolopolo, the striker says playing in the football showpiece fuels his enthusiasm and not financial advances

Nigeria international Odion Ighalo insists “playing in the World Cup” is his motivation, not lining his pocket with the riches on offer.

The Changchun Yatai forward is expected to lead the Super Eagles forward against Zambia, as Gernot Rohr’s side chase at least a draw to secure a World Cup berth.
Eagles have been promised financial perks should they subdue Wedson Nyirenda’s men who are in dire need of a victory.

And Ighalo claims he is ready and looking forward to playing a leading role in their pursuit of 2018 World Cup ticket, with any financial reward that comes his way merely a bonus.
“Most of us in the team have not gone to the World Cup, so there is no amount of money that can get me motivated,” said Ighalo.
“Playing in the World Cup is my motivation because I have only been to the U20 World Cup.
“It will be a great honour for me to represent over 170 million Nigerians in Russia – [a tournament which has eluded] some great players.
“Against Zambia, I will do whatever it takes to win the game though a draw will be good for us.”

He added: “We'll go into this game with maximum concentration and focus because a game like this is dicey because we are playing against a young and good side.

“With the calibre of players we have, we are capable of beating any team and on Saturday, we are going to win by God’s grace.

“We have worked so hard and we still have two more trainings to go and on Friday, we will know who will be on parade.”

Source: http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/no-amount-of-money-can-get-me-motivated-ighalo-thirsts-for-world-/184xgykxcwonp16cqbd21hj7rf
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:06pm On Oct 05, 2017
Rohr Hints At New Formation For Zambia Tie – Our Tactics Will Surprise Zambia

The Super Eagles of Nigeria will not play same formation and style that helped them pick a win and a draw against Cameroon in their last World Cup 2018 Qualifiers against Zambia, according to coach Gernot Rohr.

Rohr made this known during the pre-match conference of the team ahead of Saturday’s clash against Zambia in Uyo. A game which a win will see them progress to the World Cup in Russia.

Victory will see Nigeria gain an unassailable 13 points, which will be good enough for them to progress to the World Cup as group winners with a game to spare.

The 4-0 win and 1-1 draw against Cameroon helped the Eagles to confirm their leadership of the group, but Rohr says they will change the formation that helped them in the games against Cameroon for obvious reasons.

” We know our style that helped us against Cameroon, and we would love to play the same style again, but we know it will be more difficult to do it against Zambia “, Rohr said.

” They ( Zambia) already know us and our style from the game against Cameroon. So we have to have a good preparation and also change tactics, also to be more dangerous and to be able to surprise them “, he concluded.

**Osas Mahawi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/05/rohr-hints-at-new-formation-for-zambia-tie-our-tactics-will-surprise-zambia/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:09pm On Oct 05, 2017
Zambia Goalkeeper Mweene, Striker Daka Feared Injured After Abuja Training

Zambia are sweating on the fitness of two of their key players after both players pulled out of their morning training session in Abuja at the astro turf of the FIFA goal project, package B of the National Stadium.

The Chipolopolo had their first training session in Abuja before heading to Uyo, the venue of Saturday’s game against the Super Eagles of Nigeria in the race to qualify for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

Already Zambia have been hard hit by injury in the build up to the game and it got worse for them today when first choice goalkeeper Kennedy Mweene left the training session few minutes after it started, clutching onto his left thigh in agony.

Mweene apparently injured himself when he made a full length dive to save a shot during the team shooting practices, and the Mamelodi Sundowns shot stopper who is only returning from injury had to watch the rest of the session from the sidelines.

The rave of the moment in Zambian football Patson Daka was next to depart the session halfway as the Red Bull Salzburg forward suffered what looked like a knee injury shortly after the team started light jogging.

Daka was examined by the team doctor, and after a while had to resort to training alone as he did not look entirely comfortable to take part in the full scale contact training the rest of the team had.
The degree of the injury suffered by the duo is still unknown as no member of the Chipolopolo team was willing to discuss the issue after training.

**Ade Emmanuel

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/05/zambia-goalkeeper-mweene-striker-daka-feared-injured-after-abuja-training/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:39pm On Oct 05, 2017
Alex Iwobi Speaks On Inheriting Okocha Eagles Number 10 Jersey, Mikel’s Number

Arsenal forward Alex Iwobi says he is not keen on wearing the number ten jersey of the Super Eagles like his uncle Austin Okocha during his time with the senior national team of Nigeria.
During the press conference of the team earlier today, Iwobi was asked if he is keen on inheriting the shirt number which is currently the number of captain of the team John Obi Mikel.

” I’m not keen about the number ten jersey, I wear 18 with the Super Eagles, and 17 at Arsenal. So for me, it doesn’t matter. But it will be great to achieve what my uncle achieved with the Nigerian team because he was a legend for the Super Eagles”, Iwobi said.

” In regards to the shirt, I’m not really fazed about the shirt. If I get number 10, I get it. All I know is I’m here to represent my country and I’m proud to wear the colours. I’m not really fazed about what shirt (number) I’m wearing and really my uncle (Okocha) does not pressure me. I mean, I focus on myself “. He concluded.

**Shedrack Obi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/05/alex-iwobi-speaks-on-inheriting-okocha-eagles-number-10-jersey-mikels-number/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:17pm On Oct 05, 2017
Chelsea Loanee Ike Ugbo Scores For England In 5-1 Thrashing Of Italy

Chelsea loanee Ike Ugbo was on target for England U20s, his second for the age group, in their 5-1 hammering of Italy in an international friendly staged at Municipal Stadium of Gorgonzola on Thursday, October 5.

The Barnsley striker and Fulham midfielder Adetayo Edun were named in the starting line-up by manager Keith Downing.

It took the Young Lions only four minutes to open the scoring thanks to Isaac Buckley-Ricketts who powered a header past the goalkeeper but the Italians restored parity in the 15th minute.

Marcus Edwards and Buckley-Ricketts scored to give England a two-goal advantage heading into half-time.

On 63 minutes, Easah Suliman increased the lead before Ike Ugbo sent the goalkeeper the wrong way with a penalty to wrap up the scoring in the 67th minute.

Whilst Ugbo lasted the distance, Tayo Edun was substituted with 15 minutes remaining.

**Igho Kingsley
Photo Credit : chelseafc.com

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24900
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:24pm On Oct 05, 2017
Again I wanna reiterate my position to not post Any news regarding The Super Eagles Closed door training sessions. I insist on respecting the privacy and secrecy of our darling team, The Super Eagles as they perfect strategies for the October 7 cracker.... #SoarSuperEagles

I trust Rohr and his team of technical minds will come up with the best Strategy and Tactical approach plus maneuvers to beat those Zambian bullets.

Like I said so many many months ago.... Russia 2018 will be the baptism of fire and First International bow and exposure for Nigeria's rising new "golden" generation.... (The generation can truly be golden when they match and even exceed expectations and hopes by winning titles and conquering The Continent and making a huge mark on World football globally as a team and as individual stars).

Let's get Zambia out of the way first like England just did with Slovenia moments ago thanks to that super lethal man called Kane. wink

Russia here we come.... cheesy
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:27pm On Oct 05, 2017
Ezenwa To Fellow NPFL Stars Eyeing Call-Up : Keep Working Hard, Door Is Open

FC Ifeanyi Ubah goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa has advised fellow Nigeria Professional Football League stars dreaming of playing for the Super Eagles not to lose hope if they have not been invited yet.

Manager Gernot Rohr ran the rule over four home-based stars, Ezenwa, Dele Ajiboye, Ifeanyi Ifeanyi and Afeez Aremu, in Wednesday evening's workout, and has left the door open to players who distinguish themselves in the NPFL.

''I want to thank God Almighty for everything and the most important thing is all about focus and determination that you can do it,'' Ezenwa told reporters at Thursday's presser attended by allnigeriasoccer.com .

''So far so good in my career it has been a good one for me.

''The LMC has done very well, there are about three of us here with the team and because of hard work it has given us a way into the Super Eagles.

''I think every other player back home will always keep working hard for the next game because the door is open to everyone, when you do well for your club you have the opportunity to come here. ''

Ezenwa kept a clean-sheet in Nigeria's 4-0 rout of Cameroon in Uyo on September 1, and was on the brink of posting another shutout in the second leg in Yaounde until the 75th minute when Aboubakar beat him from the spot.

**Igho Kingsley
Photo Credit : BackpageMedia/FoxSportsAfrica

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24897
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:29pm On Oct 05, 2017
Another Nugget From Ighalo : People Will Still Criticize You No Matter What You Do

Former Watford star Odion Ighalo was philosophical as always during Thursday's press conference, stating that whatever you do, good or bad, people will always have something negative to say about you and that's life.

In truth, Ighalo is the Super Eagles most in-form striker, having scored 12 goals from 24 league appearances for his Chinese club Changchun Yatai, and he was recalled to the national team after he was omitted from June's African Cup of Nations qualifier against South Africa.

''I am happy with my performance, I want to carry on like that both for club and country,'' Ighalo told the Nigerian media, including allnigeriasoccer.com .

''Even when I was not called for the South African game, I understand because the coach said he wanted to see new players and told me to keep working hard and doing what I'm doing in my club which I did.

''Playing week by week in China I am more fit and I'm ready to go.

''It does not matter what you do in life, people will still criticize you. You just have to keep your head cool, keep working and do the best you can. That's what I am doing.''
Odion Ighalo was one of the shining lights in Nigeria's games against Cameroon in September.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24898
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:33pm On Oct 05, 2017
Leon Balogun on #NGAZAM October 7 Cracker

"Not many people gave both Nigeria and Zambia a chance when the draw was made but look at football, they are the only teams left in the race in the group.
''This is not time to talk too much.''

Leon Balogun is the Super Eagles 21st century Dean of Defence.... wink
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:37pm On Oct 05, 2017
Mikel: Super Eagles Will Repel Strong Zambia Attack
By Johnny Edward in Uyo

Nigeria captain Mikel Obi is banking on the Super Eagles’ defence to cage the rampaging Zambian attack when they host the Chipolopolo in Saturday’s crunch 2018 World Cup qualifier at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

The Zambians have scored four goals in the last two games against Algeria, conceding one goal just as the Super Eagles team led by Mikel have found the back of the net five times against Cameroon, letting in one.

The Zambia side have evolved in the last six months and were victors over Algeria on matchdays 3 and 4 which rekindled their World Cup hopes. But the Tianjin TEDA star says he dreams of leading the Eagles to Russia.

“From the coach to us the players, we are not taking the game lightly and we all know how important the game is,” Mikel said during the Super Eagles media conference here in Uyo on Thursday.

“I’m motivated to go all out to win.

“We’ve been watching videos and also monitoring them to know their strong points and their weaknesses as well.”
“Their attack is their strongest point but we have a good defence now to stop them. And we have a strong attack of our own.”

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/mikel-super-eagles-will-repel-strong-zambia-attack/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:45pm On Oct 05, 2017
INTERVIEW – Nyirenda: Chipolopolo Are Very Ready To Beat Super Eagles And Inflict Pains On Nigerians

Coach of Chipolopolo of Zambia, Wedson Nyirenda is bullish that his team will revenge the 2-1 home loss to Nigeria’s Super Eagles in Ndola last year and go all the way to qualify for the 2018 World Cup in Russia on the final day of the African qualifying Group B..

In this interview with Completesportsnigeria.com ‘s RICHARD JIDEAKA in Abuja, Nyirenda explains reasons the Super Eagles Eagles won in Ndola, how the Chipolopolo have improved since then, and why he is upbeat that they will win in Uyo.

Excerpts…

CS: How ready is your team that will face the Super Eagles of Nigeria in a World Cup qualifier on Saturday in Uyo?

NYIRENDA : We are very ready to inflict pains on Nigerians by beating your Super Eagles in Uyo and put ourselves in good position to qualify for the World Cup. If your team could beat us in our home, nothing stops us from doing so to you on Saturday in Uyo..

You sounds bullish in this your revenge mission. What gives you the courage that your team have what it takes to beat the Super Eagles in Uyo?

I am not bullish, but confident that my boys will play to form and get the three points at stake. We have a very improved squad different from the team that lost to Nigeria in the first meeting. We are ready to put our youth advantage to use and beat your Eagles

Are you going to sit back and absorb pressure from the Super Eagles and catch them on counter attack with your young, energetic and fast players?

I am not going to tell you how we would play because that will be disclosing my game plan. When we get to the pitch, we shall size up the Eagles and know how to play them. The Eagles are more experienced and exposed, but we shall play to our strength.

From the way you talk, you don’t seem to harbour any fear for the Super Eagles…

You just called your team Super Eagles. Ordinarily, the name should strike fear on countries in Africa, but we don’t fear any body. We respect the Super Eagles for the big players and what they are, but we don’t fear them. We have players who can match your team head to head and toe to toe. It will be 11 players on either side of the pitch .

What makes you believe that you can beat the Super Eagles side that defeated you on your home ground?

We weren’t expecting a defeat when the Super Eagles beat us in Ndola last year, but my thinking then was that we did enough to get at worst a draw. Again, I was barely 15 days on the job as head coach when we played that match. Since then, we have remained unbeaten and have improved very much. I inherited a team which I have been able to turn around to my taste and delight of Zambians

Nobody gave your team a chance against Algeria, but you beat them home and away. How did you manage to perform such ‘magic’?

It’s no magic, but the determination of the players and hunger to go the World Cup. We are focused and we play our game anywhere. To get a win in Constantine in Algeria was a big achievement for this young team, and this has given us the belief that we can beat any team, not excluding Nigeria. We know you beat Cameroon here, but we also know you lost to South Africa at same venue.

Your final word on the match on Saturday…

It is going to be a tough game, but I can only see us winning. The expectation from Nigerians will be high and that will put pressure on your team, and we will capitalize on that to win.

Do you feel any pressure to win and do you have any injury concern?

Pressure? Not really, but I could be tensed before the game. The pressure is on Nigeria. I have a couple of injury worries which we have taken care of.

See you on Saturday coach Nyirenda…

You didn’t wish me good luck, but we will see after our win.

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/interview-nyirenda-zambia-eagles/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:49pm On Oct 05, 2017
Rohr : All Super Eagles Players Are Fit For Zambia
By Nurudeen Obalola in Uyo

Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr will have all his players available for the World Cup qualifier against Zambia here in Uyo on Saturday, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.
All 25 invited players trained on Wednesday at the practice pitch of the Godswill Akpabio Stadium before the ones on stand-by, Akwa United pair Afis Aremu and Ifeanyi Ifeanyi, were released on Thursday.
“All the players are fit for the match against Zambia,” Rohr said in Uyo on Thursday. “Elderson Echiejile had a little knock on Tuesday during training but he trained on Wednesday without any problems.
“Alex Iwobi played for Arsenal on Sunday and showed his fitness. We have no injury problems.
“This must be the first time we’re having all 23 players fit with no injury problems.”

Rohr insists that having all players available will not pose a problem when deciding the team for Saturday.

“It’s a good thing that we have all the players available, it gives us more options,” Rohr added.

“We’ll decide after the final two training sessions the players to start. Our selection will also be based on the player’s forms for their clubs and in our last matches.”

The Super Eagles will qualify for the World Cup if they defeat Zambia in Uyo on Saturday.

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/rohr-super-eagles-players-fit-zambia/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:08pm On Oct 05, 2017
Why Alex Iwobi's return spells bad news for Zambia
By Colin Udoh, KweséESPN

Alex Iwobi marked his return to the Arsenal team with a goal for the Gunners against Brighton this past weekend, and Zambia will be hoping that form does not translate to the Super Eagles.

It is perfect timing for the youngster, who missed a few matches due to injury in September, as he joins up with his side in Uyo for the 2018 World Cup qualifier against Zambia.

The timing is not so perfect for Chipolopolo though, who will remember the last time they faced the Arsenal starlet, in October 2016 in an earlier qualifying round. On that day in Ndola, the attacking midfielder sizzled imperiously and opened the scoring for his side.
His short passing, direct running, and intelligent movement proved too much for the host defenders to handle as the Super Eagles ran out 2-1 winners.
His return now, after missing last month's two-legged fixture against Cameroon, will leave Chipolopolo cursing their luck and this fixture's timing. Incidentally, that goal remains his only strike for the Super Eagles in 10 appearances, since making his international debut in a 2-0 defeat to DR Congo in a friendly in Belgium nearly a year ago.

Beyond the lone strike though, it is his partnership with Leicester City forward Kelechi Iheanacho that really brings the party home. Friends and roommates off the pitch, the players have developed the sort of telepathic understanding that defenders get nightmares about.

When they play together, Iwobi is always looking to play give-and-go with Iheanacho; his tendency to pinch into the middle complementing the Foxes man's own inclination to drift out wide on occasion in search of the ball.

bEven without Iheanacho, Iwobi not only has the ability to link play with whichever central striker is ahead of him, but also to find gaps in defensive positions and thread excellently-weighted passes through them. Whether he starts or not, Iwobi's return presents all sorts of trouble for this particular opposition.

With Victor Moses, Moses Simon and Ahmed Musa, the Super Eagles are already spoiled for choice in the wide forward areas. Throwing in the 21-year-old Gunner just makes the competition even stiffer.
With Chelsea's Moses out injured previously, Gernot Rohr had settled on Iwobi and Simon as his starting wide forwards. But the Chelsea man is a dead cert to start, leaving competition for the other spot down to the other three men.

Whoever gets to start does so knowing he has two more champing at the bit, waiting to come in, and mistakes will be harshly judged.

Source: http://kwese.espn.com/football/nigeria/story/3220325/why-alex-iwobis-return-spells-bad-news-for-zambia?device=featurephone

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (32) (Reply)

Ahmed Musa Steps Down As Assistant Captain Of Super Eagles / Lionel Messi Enjoys Family Holiday In Ibiza After Copa America Heartbreak(Photos / Serie A: Napoli Players Angry Over Special Treatment Accorded Osimhen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 170
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.