Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,716 members, 7,809,711 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:43 PM

How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? (15450 Views)

Which App Consumes More Data On Your Phone The Most? / VIDEO: Dubai’s Smart Trees Have Wifi And Can Charge Your Phone / First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by shiftback: 7:30pm On Sep 25, 2017
Hey Guys
So I remember sometime back when every time you bought a new device you had to be prepared to charge it for at least 6 hours before you could start using your device. Failure to do this meant you ended up having a device that could barely help you get through half a day of use. I remember I once got a device that I only charged for an hour or less the first time I got it... To be honest I ended up having to buy a new battery for my device as I could barely got 4 hours of use .

Anyway my experience since then has shaped my approach when it comes to new smartphone, nowadays I charge my new devices for at least 4 hours regardless of whether or not it tells me that it is full or not .
However, as it turns out this is not really necessary anymore, you see what made it necessary for us to charge our devices for those extended periods of time was that those batteries were NiMH batteries. Yes NiMH batteries also known as nickel–metal hydride batteries had certain requirements when it came to charge/discharge cycles. This means that those cells in the battery had "memories" and as such a long charge period had to be set for the first time so that the batteries could "remember" to retain their charge for an extended period of time. So, simply put when you charged your battery which was a NiMH battery for a long period of time, the battery would then remember to retain the charge for a similarly long period of time. This sadly applied in reverse too, you see if you didn't charge your device for long either, then it didn't get to last long either.

However, with the coming of the new Lithium-ion batteries, also known as Li-ion batteries, this need has been negated. With Li-ion cells or batteries, you can start using the device right away, even if the cells are only partially charged. All Li-ion cells are supposed to go through a formation stage after coming off the production line to make sure the electrodes are working properly by doing a full charge. It is also to "activate" or "wake up" all of the chemical components in that cell to be ready for prime time. So, the chemicals are all primed to start operating without further preparation. That simply means that there's basically no adverse effects of not doing a full charge on your new battery.

So there you have it guys... We don't need to keep charging our new devices for obscene amounts of time just for it to last us a day... As long as the phone has a Lithium ion battery we are good to go.
Anyway, how many of us were like me and charged (or should I say overcharged) their new devices? Please, lets stand up to be counted .
As always comments, opinions and suggestions are welcome below...
Cheers guys .

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by datyorubaboy: 7:31pm On Sep 25, 2017
Thread
Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by omoalajah(m): 7:32pm On Sep 25, 2017
Nice
Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Sep 25, 2017
Cool
Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Sep 25, 2017
informative. I just got the Tecno Spark phone and I noticed that it came fully charged.
Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by Ennyholar: 7:43pm On Sep 25, 2017
Educative
Nice one OP
Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by PrinceJoeWan(m): 10:30pm On Sep 25, 2017
So how many will take that risk on a NEW DEVICE??
Certainly not ME

1 Like

Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by WeNoGoDie(m): 10:39pm On Sep 25, 2017
You spoke about Lithium ion while we mostly have lithium polymer batteries these days.
Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by SailorUgo(m): 7:29am On Sep 26, 2017
shocked
Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by frankwells(f): 7:29am On Sep 26, 2017
when Ipob leader,my leader returns I return to comment until then,I see the BMC has launched a new zombie in AburoBuhari

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by DanielsParker(m): 7:30am On Sep 26, 2017
Nice one
Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by donkenny(m): 7:30am On Sep 26, 2017
Where's Nwaikpa

3 Likes

Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by donkenny(m): 7:30am On Sep 26, 2017
At most every year
Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by Nobody: 7:31am On Sep 26, 2017
I no even get phone. What am i going to charge?
Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by Nobody: 7:34am On Sep 26, 2017
Gone are the day when u are required to charge a phone overnight before using it. With the technology we have now u start using ur phone out of the box. Most new smartphones will have around 60-70% juice out of the box.

1 Like

Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by JoshuaKay(m): 7:39am On Sep 26, 2017
Abia, where the light to dey even charge for a long period of time sef. Moreover, I'd want to acquaint myself with my new device so my brother, the patience to wait long before I start dissecting the liver and intestine of the new phone is not just there at all.

2 Likes

Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by miketayo(m): 7:40am On Sep 26, 2017
PrinceJoeWan:
So how many will take that risk on a NEW DEVICE??
Certainly not ME

U knw this info is over 5 years old, so there r no risks
Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by monlawal(m): 7:41am On Sep 26, 2017
WeNoGoDie:
You spoke about Lithium ion while we mostly have lithium polymer batteries these days.

You said my mind. Is Li Polymer the same as lithium ion

1 Like

Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by ZeeBaba17(m): 7:43am On Sep 26, 2017
sometimes the misinformation comes from the sellers I remember when I had to go buy a new innjoo battery and the seller told me to make sure I charge it fully before I use and also I don't use a small generator for my first charge, I couldn't get to charge it full for the first charge before using right now my battery does not last 6hrs of using at a stretch I don't know if that's the cause
Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by nenergy(m): 7:47am On Sep 26, 2017
Batteries are smarter now. So just charge till its full, then leave it plugged for an additional 30minutes. That's all!
Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by lomprico(m): 7:50am On Sep 26, 2017
Till its 100% duh!! undecided
Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by Nobody: 7:55am On Sep 26, 2017
Charge until the battery is full. Smart phones will stop charging when the battery becomes full and automatically restart the charge
when there is a little drain. Archaic phone keep charging even when they are full, thereby, assassinating, eliminating and annihilating
the battery cells.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by drlaykay(m): 8:00am On Sep 26, 2017
nenergy:
Batteries are smarter now. So just charge till its full, then leave it plugged for an additional 30minutes. That's all!
I can place a bet that you didn't read the post before commenting. grin

2 Likes

Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by PrincessBecks(f): 8:00am On Sep 26, 2017
We learn everyday. Thanks
Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by richard870(m): 8:03am On Sep 26, 2017
shiftback:
Hey Guys
So I remember sometime back when every time you bought a new device you had to be prepared to charge it for at least 6 hours before you could start using your device. Failure to do this meant you ended up having a device that could barely help you get through half a day of use. I remember I once got a device that I only charged for an hour or less the first time I got it... To be honest I ended up having to buy a new battery for my device as I could barely got 4 hours of use .

Anyway my experience since then has shaped my approach when it comes to new smartphone, nowadays I charge my new devices for at least 4 hours regardless of whether or not it tells me that it is full or not .
However, as it turns out this is not really necessary anymore, you see what made it necessary for us to charge our devices for those extended periods of time was that those batteries were NiMH batteries. Yes NiMH batteries also known as nickel–metal hydride batteries had certain requirements when it came to charge/discharge cycles. This means that those cells in the battery had "memories" and as such a long charge period had to be set for the first time so that the batteries could "remember" to retain their charge for an extended period of time. So, simply put when you charged your battery which was a NiMH battery for a long period of time, the battery would then remember to retain the charge for a similarly long period of time. This sadly applied in reverse too, you see if you didn't charge your device for long either, then it didn't get to last long either.

However, with the coming of the new Lithium-ion batteries, also known as Li-ion batteries, this need has been negated. With Li-ion cells or batteries, you can start using the device right away, even if the cells are only partially charged. All Li-ion cells are supposed to go through a formation stage after coming off the production line to make sure the electrodes are working properly by doing a full charge. It is also to "activate" or "wake up" all of the chemical components in that cell to be ready for prime time. So, the chemicals are all primed to start operating without further preparation. That simply means that there's basically no adverse effects of not doing a full charge on your new battery.

So there you have it guys... We don't need to keep charging our new devices for obscene amounts of time just for it to last us a day... As long as the phone has a Lithium ion battery we are good to go.
Anyway, how many of us were like me and charged (or should I say overcharged) their new devices? Please, lets stand up to be counted .
As always comments, opinions and suggestions are welcome below...
Cheers guys .
2 hours Max
Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by steemlord: 8:08am On Sep 26, 2017
its not a matter of how many hours or minutes, the right thing is just charge till its full 100%.

and for longevity and effectiveness,
within the first few weeks of of the new phone/battrery, you should practice the following
1. never allow battery drain off completely and always charge till 100% before disconecting
2. mind the type/condition of generator you use if necessary and
3. dont charge and use heavily at the same time

my infinix hot1 battry is 3 years old and last 12hrs on medium use.
Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by ekwerendi(m): 8:11am On Sep 26, 2017
donkenny:
Where's Nwaikpa

e dun tey I never hear from dat guy ooooooo I dey even find him

2 Likes

Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by EagleScribes: 8:33am On Sep 26, 2017
steemlord:
its not a matter of how many hours or minutes, the right thing is just charge till its full 100%.

and for longevity and effectiveness,
within the first few weeks of of the new phone/battrery, you should practice the following
1. never allow battery drain off completely and always charge till 100% before disconecting
2. mind the type/condition of generator you use if necessary and
3. dont charge and use heavily at the same time

my infinix hot1 battry is 3 years old and last 12hrs on medium use.

Exactly my thoughts

1 Like

Re: How Long Should You Charge Your Phone The First Time After Buying It? by georgio(m): 8:37am On Sep 26, 2017
You dont need to charge a new Phone to use. once you put it on the first time, and you have some power , you are good to go. Gone are the days when we had poor batteries technology like 3310 etc . But now we have more advanced technology in batteries now.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Get Faster Browsing Speed While Using Your Smartphone's Hotspot / Blackberry Unlocking Services / Abia Police Arrest Syndicate Over Pre-registration Of SIM Cards (photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.