Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,802 members, 7,956,056 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:45 PM

86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners (11949 Views)

Emmanuel Ibe-Kachikwu: 12 Things You Didn't Know About New NNPC GMD-Theyesng.com / Emmanuel Ibe-Kachikwu Is New NNPC GMD - Sahara Reporters / Report: NNPC top mgt to go, accounts to be probed-Daily Trust (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by Beaf: 3:29pm On Mar 05, 2010
[size=14pt]86% new NNPC top managers are northerners [/size]
Friday, 05 March 2010 01:21 Max Amuchie    .User Rating: / 3
•Appointed by Barkindo

No fewer than 86 percent of top management of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) appointed by the Mohammed Barkindo-led management is from the northern part of the country. At the last rejig of personnel at the state oil company which was preceded by the retirement of some people, 14 new top management staff were appointed by Barkindo into the positions of group executive directors, group general managers, managing directors of subsidiaries and managers.

Out of this number, only two positions were allocated to people of southern extraction, representing 14 percent of the top management. The Group Executive Director, corporate services, is Attahiru Yusuf while Auwalu Abubakar is Group General Manager, human resources. The new general manager, human resources is Hajia M. Sanni with I. M. Bawa clinching the position of general manager, administration services.

There are several other positions occupied by northerners to the detriment of other sections of the country. For instance, the group general manager in charge of crude oil is Farouk Bello, also a northerner. Two other executive directors, Alhaji Farouk and Alhaji Babangida for commercial and corporate services respectively, are northerners. In addition, one Alhaji Yola is the general manager in charge of crude oil shipping while his counterpart in procurement is also a northerner. He is one Alhaji Lamido while a woman, Hajia Yahuza is manager responsible for central transportation.

A southerner was appointed manager in administration department while Reginald Stanly, managing director of Pipelines Products Marketing Company (PPMC), was also appointed by Barkindo. Jeddy Agba, appointed general manager by Barkindo is said to be partially north and partially south but leans more to the north. It has been said that what holds Nigeria together is oil. It is the natural resource that keeps the Nigerian economy running and it is the single product that accounts for over 90 percent of Nigeria’s foreign exchange earnings. The NNPC, established in 1977 on the ashes of the Nigerian National Oil Corporation (NNOC), is the behemoth that runs the oil industry. The office of Group Managing Director of NNPC is a very influential one. Below that office, there are other positions that are of strategic importance.

On January 13, 2009, Barkindo was appointed Group Managing Director to replace Abubakar Yar’Adua, an engineer, who became helmsman when his namesake, the president came to power in 2007. But he failed to keep his promise to revive the nation’s refineries.

It is elementary knowledge that oil is produced in the Niger Delta, a region that has become a hotbed of agitation to right the wrongs of several years of neglect and environmental degradation.

The goose that lays the golden egg has always been short-changed in the scheme of things especially when the oil sector is involved. The Niger Delta produces oil but is not part of the decision making in the oil industry. To bolster the confidence of Barkindo and give him support is Riwanu Lukman, who himself is a rabid ethno-centrist. The combination of Lukman and Barkindo has not done much to make the job of Odein Ajumogobia, minister of state for petroleum, easier. The Federal Character Commission has turned a blind eye to the northernisation of the commanding positions in NNPC. If the establishment is still alive to its responsibilities, it would have intervened to address the audacious lopsidedness in the appointment of top personnel in favour of the north. At the a time that Niger Delta militants are being courted to embrace peace, such brazen neglect of other areas in the composition of the top management has the potentials to scuttle the amnesty programme.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9031:86-new-nnpc-top-managers-are-northerners&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=18
Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by Beaf: 3:30pm On Mar 05, 2010
"Northern interest".

1 Like

Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by Nobody: 3:39pm On Mar 05, 2010
@ beaf why this topic ?
dont be a sadest
Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by SEFAGO(m): 3:41pm On Mar 05, 2010
nurexg:

@ beaf why this topic ?
dont be a sadest

Its actually irritating though- how can 86% of the managers in NNPC be from the north?
Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by KnowAll(m): 3:54pm On Mar 05, 2010
In this day and age why is the FG  still running this company called NNPC. This old relic which has being the bane of corruption in Nigeria since time immemorial and it is almost synonymous if not equal to in-efficiency, why has the FG not sold it off. At least that way the South will not say the company is run by Northerners.

How any right thinking human being can fathom or give a simplistic reason why a company run under ethnic jingoism and favouritism will ever flourish beats my imagination.

There are enough billionaires from the North,  the FG should sell it off, if the North wants to run it 107% or even 307%   Northerners to Southerners ratio is there own palaver.

This are the kinds of companies I would expect Jonathan to dispose off without a second thought.
Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by formunt(m): 4:05pm On Mar 05, 2010
The southerners are blind and already sold there birth rights for money.Most of the managers mention in this nnpc issue have forged certificates or not qualified to hold any such positions.
Ojukwu and others saw the futures.
We are not one Nigeria. Get lost!

1 Like

Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by Akanbiedu(m): 5:10pm On Mar 05, 2010
Why didn't the paper publish this under Yar'adua?
Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by chosen04(f): 5:13pm On Mar 05, 2010
Akanbi_edu:

Why didn't the paper publish this under Yar'adua?

Cos of the love of the system.
Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by yemmight(m): 5:34pm On Mar 05, 2010
You can Imagine 86%. I wonder what are representatives of other regions are sitting down to do. Honestly, Northerners are really killing this Nation but we are not realising it.
Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by Gbawe: 5:55pm On Mar 05, 2010
nurexg:

@ beaf why this topic ?
dont be a sadest

I don't think he is being a "sadist" when he points outs , rightly so IMO, that 86% New NNPC Managers are Northerner. Where is the sense of equity and fairplay needed to bring lasting harmony to Nigeria? Is is not abhorrent that , as regards the control of the petroleum sector, folks from the ND are relegated to the position of 'serfs' while others are 'Lords' ?
Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by Bialegend(m): 5:57pm On Mar 05, 2010
Anybody who complains (not referring to Igbos who have already accepted their fate and moved on with their lives) should get lost or go die. That is called the "repercussions of sold birthright to spite Igbos" The country called nigeria was fought for, designed, aided, packaged and delivered to northern nigerians by the so called southern neighbors of Igbos who did it in their quest to spite their Igbo neighbors whom they felt were the real threat to them. Who now are the real threats to your survival? The chicken has come home to roost, so no one should complain.

New NNPC top managers being 86% of northerners is not what it should or supposed to be. By right and to be fair to the northerners, 99% is what i want to see. Yes 99% because the country called nigeria and every mineral resources obtain inside it is for them the northerners and they should do whatever pleases them with the hell hole called nigeria. As i have already said above, anyone who complains should go dump his or her lazy arrss inside a barrel of acid. It's never time to wake up from your sleep as the visioner Ojukwu has already told you people. It's still 2a.m in the morning. So, stop complaining and go back to sleep.

1 Like

Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by Nobody: 6:04pm On Mar 05, 2010
to all anti-north. The north is what is keeping this nation on his feet. Tell me if the north and south are separate country, who will rule you guyz over there if the yorubas or igbos or ijaws or effik. My brothers stop this hate. The former NNPC boss was a southerner during OBASANJO. So u can tell Wetin this short time the northerners full that place, or simply just base on merit, because it was found that most of the southerners have fake results and fake universities.
Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by edoyad(m): 6:10pm On Mar 05, 2010
@nurexg, please before i start i'd like you to verify who you mean by "north" when you say the north.
Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by Beaf: 6:10pm On Mar 05, 2010
The easiest way to kill this ethnic jingoistic rubbish is privatise the NNPC and make it compete against other oil companies for market share. After that we will see how 86% rapidly becomes 0%.

NNPC and the oil sector must be privatised in ways that lead to equity. No section of the country can be seen to be slaving for others.
Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by edoyad(m): 6:13pm On Mar 05, 2010
If the NNPC was privatised and people taken in only by merit after exams and interview, i wonder what the make up would be like ?
Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by Beaf: 6:15pm On Mar 05, 2010
nurexg:

to all anti-north. The north is what is keeping this nation on his feet. Tell me if the north and south are separate country, who will rule you guyz over there if the yorubas or igbos or ijaws or effik. My brothers stop this hate. The former NNPC boss was a southerner during OBASANJO. So u can tell Wetin this short time the northerners full that place, or simply just base on merit, because it was found that most of the southerners have fake results and fake universities.

As edoyad said, please define precisely who these "North" is and why they are best suited to rule over others.
Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by Onlytruth(m): 6:25pm On Mar 05, 2010
edoyad:

If the NNPC was privatised and people taken in only by merit after exams and interview, i wonder what the make up would be like ?

That is the key question. Any federal government owned business in Nigeria is a DRAINPIPE through which all types of misfits and thieves prey on our collective patrimony. I don't think "the north" will ever allow NNPC to be privatized unless oil is discovered in huge quantities in the north. It is that simple. Recent events show that the north is even prepared for anything to protect "northern interest". So, go figure. undecided
Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by RichyBlacK(m): 6:25pm On Mar 05, 2010
nurexg:

nurexg,

Simple questions for you:

1. Is it okay that 86% of NNPC top management staff is made up of Northerners?

2. If the Northerners are so smart, why isn't this "smartness" replicated in other multinational firms within the country? (Forget those multinational firms not operating within the country, for now)

3. Why aren't these "smart" Northerners (without fake degrees like the Southerners) showing their edge in ChevronTexaco, ExxonMobil and Shell?
Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by ASL33: 7:22pm On Mar 05, 2010
Gowan won the war for them, i laugh when the yorubas and some south south people mock at Igbos as war losers.
I wonder what you guys expect from Nigeria.

Edoyard sorry but this ur middle belt belongs to the Hausas and Fulanis weda you like it or not. They will force you and use you to achieve whatever their aim is as they have been doing and you people can't do sh*t cuz your soul belongs to them after the civil war. If you try to raise your head above others you will end up like Gideon Orka and Coy. So don't question your master for you to get some left over.

You guys can complain and whine about the 86% it can't change nada as you all are war losers. They are even kind enuf to let you southern minorities(Igbo and Yoruba) included to share 14% and you are complaining. Take up arms if that is not enuf for you.
Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by Onlytruth(m): 7:26pm On Mar 05, 2010
ASL33:

Gowan won the war for them, i laugh when the yorubas and some south south people mock at Igbos as war losers.
I wonder what you guys expect from Nigeria.

Edoyard sorry but this your middle belt belongs to the Hausas and Fulanis weda you like it or not. They will force you and use you to achieve whatever their aim is as they have been doing and you people can't do excreta cuz your soul belongs to them after the civil war. If you try to raise your head above others you will end up like Gideon Orka and Coy. So don't question your master for you to get some left over.

You guys can complain and whine about the 86% it can't change nada as you all are war losers. They are even kind enuf to let you southern minorities(Igbo and Yoruba) included to share 14% and you are complaining. Take up arms if that is not enuf for you.

My guy you dey vex o !  grin grin grin

Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by Nobody: 7:35pm On Mar 05, 2010
We should all see eachother as fellow human beings first, brothers of the same colour, fellow nigerians, then tribe should come last. How i wish everyone is like me. I see no difference between me and a white dude so far he has no Racial prejudice against me. We are all humans, so ALSO IS A HAUSE, IBO MAN, YORUBA, CHINESE, JAPANESE, we are all human created by almighty God.
Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by asha80(m): 7:41pm On Mar 05, 2010
DonChippy:

We should all see eachother as fellow human beings first, brothers of the same colour, fellow nigerians, then tribe should come last. How i wish everyone is like me. I see no difference between me and a white dude so far he has no Racial prejudice against me. We are all humans, so ALSO IS A HAUSE, IBO MAN, YORUBA, CHINESE, JAPANESE, we are all human created by almighty God.

You are leaving in an utopian world and the world is far from it.
Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by Beaf: 7:42pm On Mar 05, 2010
DonChippy:

Impressive! Which makes your bank account and wife mine. . . Interesting. grin
Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by Nobody: 7:54pm On Mar 05, 2010
I am proud to be a nigerian if you are not then is time 4 u to leave.
Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by biina: 8:09pm On Mar 05, 2010
SEFAGO:

Its actually irritating though- how can 86% of the managers in NNPC be from the north?

RichyBlacK:

1. Is it okay that 86% of NNPC top management staff is made up of Northerners?
That is false. 86% of NNPC top management is not made up of northerners. Nigerians are always quick to jump to conclusion over any article that foments ethnic bias.

NNPC Board: M. S. Barkindo (GMD, NNPC); P.O. Chukwu (GED, Exploration & Production); A. B. Yusuf (GED, Corporate Services ) A. O. Oniwon (GED, Refineries & Petrochemicals) M.A. Arokodare (
GED, Finance & Accounts); A.A. Babakusa (GED,Commercial & Investment); F. A. AbbiyeSuku (GED, Engineering & Technology) and Yinka Omoregbe (Company Secretary and Legal Adviser)

Only 3 out of 8 members are northerners.

and if you want to go to subsidiaries and divisions, similar ratios can be found.
Examples:
1. National Petroleum Investment Management Services (NAPIMS): Dr. Ayo Balogun (GGM NAPIMS), Alhaji A. Y. Gumai (GM Services), Mr. Victor Briggs. (GM planning), Mr. Monday A. Agbuza (GM JV operations), Mr. M. A. Fiddi (GM PSC/FES  Operations), Engr. Paul Duro Ajisafe (GM Gas),  Alhaji Abdullahi Kallamu (GM Finace & Accounts), Mrs. B. A. Ashafa. (Mgr Public Affairs), Engr. H. S. Tahir (GM Materials Management), and Dr. Iheanyi Nwa Ohiaeri.(GM Nipex). 3 out of  10 are northerners

2. NETCO: Engr. Kenneth Ejuoneatse (MD), Engr. Samuel Babatunde (ED Operations) and Mr. Ishaya Bamaiyi Timothy (ED, Services). 1 out of 3 is a northerner

3. NPDC :Kunle Olaosebikan (MD), Abiye Membere (ED Direct Asset Operations), Sunday Olawore (ED Joint Venture Operations), Lewis Binitie-Cassidy (ED Engineering & Technical Services), Beverly Mokwe (ED Services) and  Azubike Ahubelem (ED Finance). None of theme are northerners  shocked  undecided

4.NLNG: Chima Ibeneche (MD) Basheer Koko (DMD), Mats Gjers (GM Production), Mukhtar Maiha Idi (GM Human Resources), Patrick Olinma (GM Commercial), Victor Eremosele (GM Finance), Siene Allwell-Brown (GM External Relations) and Temilola Okesanjo (GM Shipping). Only 1 of 8 is a northerner.

So where is your 86% northern majority?
Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by RichyBlacK(m): 8:15pm On Mar 05, 2010
^^^ biina, are you saying the article is a fabrication?
Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by safariman(m): 8:23pm On Mar 05, 2010
I don't think 86% number is correct, I remembered in those days (70s & 80s), most national parastals were on tribal quota system for employment, at least that was the case then when I went into CBN
Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by Beaf: 8:27pm On Mar 05, 2010
. . .
14 new top management staff were appointed by Barkindo into the positions of group executive directors, group general managers, managing directors of subsidiaries and managers.

Out of this number, only two positions were allocated to people of southern extraction, representing 14 percent of the top management.

The math is exceedingly simple;

[size=14pt](2 / 14) x 100 = 14.29%

100 - 14 = 86%[/size]
Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by biina: 8:37pm On Mar 05, 2010
RichyBlacK:

^^^ biina, are you saying the article is a fabrication?
The article says 86% of NEW appointments, not 86% percent of the entire management like you represented.
Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by RichyBlacK(m): 8:44pm On Mar 05, 2010
biina:

The article says 86% of NEW appointments, not 86% percent of the entire management like you represented.

Nna biina, biko no vex.

Okay, let me rephrase my question: Is it okay that 86% of the new top managers are Northerners?
Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by biina: 9:10pm On Mar 05, 2010
RichyBlacK:

Nna biina, biko no vex.

Okay, let me rephrase my question: Is it okay that 86% of the new top managers are Northerners?
That now depends on what the old distribution was, and what things look like after the new appointment i.e. how many positions changed hands, and/or was there an existing imbalance being corrected or worsened.

For example Attahiru Yusuf became GED of the corporate  services and replaced another northerner in Ibrahim Waziri. Both men are from the North-East zone. Yusuf was formerly GGM Corporate Planning Department (under the GMDs office), he was replaced by Dr. Tim Okon, a southerner. So that move essentially cost the north a position.
Re: 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners by Nobody: 9:22pm On Mar 05, 2010
@ Biina
My correct man you are here the game is over. Tell them the bitter true.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman / FG Launches Amnesty Programme For Ondo Militants (VIDEO) / Intrigue As APC Holds Midnight Inauguration For NWC Members Over Raging Protest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.