Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,635 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:18 PM

The Best Nigerian Afang Soup Recipe - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The Best Nigerian Afang Soup Recipe (1029 Views)

Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) / Easy Way To Make Afang Soup This Christmas. / Easiest Way To Prepare Simple But Delicious Afang Soup (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Best Nigerian Afang Soup Recipe by eneubane1(f): 9:15am On Sep 29, 2017
Afang soup is a tasty, nutritious, slightly bitter Nigerian soup, native to the Efiks/Ibibios (Akwa Ibom & Cross River States). Afang Soup is usually prepared with a combination of vegetables (Afang leaves and water leaves), assorted sea food/fish, meat and spices.

Afang soup is one of the richest and somewhat medicinal vegetable soups of the Efiks/ Ibibios in Nigeria. The Igbos' have a similar soup known as Okazi soup.

The only major difference is that a soup thickener is added to Okazi Soup to increase its viscosity (thickness), but afang soup gets its thickness from the bulk of vegetables used in preparing it.

Ingredients For Making Nigerian Afang Soup
- 200 gr beefor assorted meat (cow skin, shaki (tripe), etc)
- 20 gr Smoked fish
- Stock fish (optional)
- 1 handful Shelled Periwinkle
(optional because some people don't like periwinkles)
- 2 tablespoonful ground crayfish
- 500g Afang Leaves (same as okazi/ukazi leaves) (you can use the dry or fresh leaves)
- 1kg Water leaves (or lamb lettuce/Spinach as an alternative if you live outside Africa)
- 500 ml Palm oil
- 2 Stock cubes (maggi/knorr or your choice)
- Fresh pepper (scotch bonnet/atarodo) or ground dried pepper (to taste)
- Salt to taste

Directions For Making Nigerian Afang Soup
1. Slice the water leaves and set aside. Chop the afang leaves, pound or blend it and set aside. The dry leaves are tougher than the fresh leaves, so grind it as fine as you can.

2. Cook the assorted meat and stock fish with chopped onions, one stock cube/seasoning cube and salt to taste, then cook until tender.

3. Then clean the dried fish in hot water, remove the bones and add the fish to the pot of cooked meat. Add the palm oil, pepper, ground crayfish and remaining stock cube to the pot.

4. Mix well and then add periwinkles (if you are using any). Cover the pot and leave to boil for about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, add the Afang leaves, leave to simmer for 3 to 5 minutes and then add the water leaves. If using fresh afang leaves, let it simmer for 3 minutes.

5. It is customary to add water leaves before the afang leaves, but due to the toughness of the afang leaves, you can add it first before the water leaves. Add salt to taste, simmer for 2 minutes and your delicious pot of Afang Soup is ready. Enjoy.

Afang soup is usually served hot with starch, Eba, Pounded Yam, Fufu, Semolina, Amala, Wheat meal, Tuwo Masara or any Nigerian swallow meal.. Enjoy!

Source: http://www.versatileblog.com.ng/2017/05/how-to-make-delicious-afang-soup.html

cc; lalasticlala, Mynd44, Ddominique, Obinoscopy, MissyB3

Re: The Best Nigerian Afang Soup Recipe by Nobody: 10:01am On Sep 29, 2017
Will you marry me?
Re: The Best Nigerian Afang Soup Recipe by eneubane1(f): 5:45pm On Sep 29, 2017
Yes.. Let me drop my account details, so you will pay my bride price. How about that?

rafhell:
Will you marry me?

(1) (Reply)

Five Foods That Are Slowly Killing You Everyday / The Gigantic Rat I Killed / How To Be Healthy On A Nigerian Diet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.