Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon (27246 Views)

Patrick Obahiagbon Speaks About Buhari's Alleged "Sluggishness" / Patrick Obahiagbon Praises Zahra Buhari On Twitter / Why I Speak Big Grammar..........hon. Patrick Obahiagbon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by shadrach77: 10:34am On Mar 06, 2010
Patrick Obahiagbon, who represents Oredo Federal Constituency of Edo state shot to limelight the moment he arrived the House of Representatives in 2007 with his uncanny knack for jaw-breaking words.

For reasons he explained exclusively below to Saturday Vanguard in his first ever interview on his manner of speech, the 1983 product of St John Bosco Grammar School, Obiaja, Edo State swore that he has since cut short on the big, big vocabulary he uses.

In this chat, the 1987 Law graduate of University of Benin, who also holds two Master degrees, appealed to his audience for understanding, explaining that, “the intention is not to deliberately befuddle or obfuscate them” insisting that, “ I do not set out to deposit my audience in a portmanteau of indecipherability” Excerpts.

Why I speak the way I do

Sincerely speaking, I want to tender an unreserved apologia to my colleagues and all those who feel that my language is obscurantist. The truth is that I do not set out deliberately to mystify my audience, to deposit my audience in a portmanteau of indecipherability or in portmanteau of conundrum. No, no, no, no! Far from it.

The cosmic force would not allow me to do that. But, you see if you ask homo sapients who have interfaced with me for close to twenty years now, they would tell you that I no longer speak high sounding language. I have reduced it radically.

If you have the opportunity to listen to my speeches or debates ten, fifteen years ago, then it would have been a different kettle of fish all together. So, I am convinced that I’ve tried, I am trying and I will continue to try to ensure that my language, or my idiolect is as limpid and as diaphanous as possible.

But, let me say that I am an omnivorous reader and I put my nose on the grinding stone to read for more than 7 hours a day when most innocent men are sleeping, and night marauders are doing their business. I am on my table, in my Library for 7 hours. And that has been on for over twenty years. And like I always tell people, the dictionary for me is not a reference point; the dictionary is a vade mecum, a constant companion.

I spend on the average not less than an hour a day referencing the dictionary for the past twenty to twenty-five years. So don’t be maniacally bewildered if I speak most times, from what I draw while reading. But, really, the intention is not to deliberately befuddle or obfuscate my presentations on the floor.

My Political experience
I was a student Union activist all my years in the University of Benin. Little wonder, as soon as I left the University and finished my Youth Service, I dabbled into the aqua of political arena. If I remember vividly, I contested my first election into Oredu Local Government Area (LGA) as a Councillor only one year after my Youth Service.

So I have been in State and National politics effectively from 1999. But it has not been a bed of roses, giving the miasma, given that convoluted phantasmagoria, given the prependalism and all the intrigues in Nigerian politics.

I contested several elections and lost several elections. Some not because I lost, but because of course, we are in Nigeria, and the X factor in Nigerian politics is still very important.

But, I knew right back from when I started, that I had a date with history, with destiny. At every time I lost an election, I would decide to be more recusant rather than being recumbent. I decided to be more quixotic rather than being laisser-faire- to challenge my destiny the more rather than relapsing into a cocoon of levity, or into a cocoon of political narcissisms. And I thank the great galaxy of the universe, after several attempts at political office in 1999, my bread was buttered.

The cosmic afforded me the lacuna to give a vivacious and vibrant representation to my constituency.

And since then, it has been one political victory to the other as ordained by God.

That was why mandate to remain the amiable representatives of Oredo Federal constituency was challenged very, very viscerally, at the election tribunal, I had no fear that at end of the day it was going to be victory for me. this is because I am a robot in the hand of God.

I believe that the hand of God and the cosmic imprimaturs are in my political odyssey. If it were by my grace or by my powers, by my capacity, I Probably would not have been qualified in the first place to become a councillor in my local govern
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/03/06/why-i-speak-big-big-grammar-hon-obahiagbon/
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by MrCrackles(m): 10:43am On Mar 06, 2010
shadrach77:

Patrick Obahiagbon, who represents Oredo Federal Constituency of Edo state shot to limelight the moment he arrived the House of Representatives in 2007 with his uncanny knack for jaw-breaking words.

For reasons he explained exclusively below to Saturday Vanguard in his first ever interview on his manner of speech, the 1983 product of St John Bosco Grammar School, Obiaja, Edo State swore that he has since cut short on the big, big vocabulary he uses.

In this chat, the 1987 Law graduate of University of Benin, who also holds two Master degrees, appealed to his audience for understanding, explaining that, “the intention is not to deliberately befuddle or obfuscate them” insisting that, “ I do not set out to deposit my audience in a portmanteau of indecipherability” Excerpts.

Why I speak the way I do

Sincerely speaking, I want to tender an unreserved apologia to my colleagues and all those who feel that my language is obscurantist. The truth is that I do not set out deliberately to mystify my audience, to deposit my audience in a portmanteau of indecipherability or in portmanteau of conundrum. No, no, no, no! Far from it.

The cosmic force would not allow me to do that. But, you see if you ask homo sapients who have interfaced with me for close to twenty years now, they would tell you that I no longer speak high sounding language. I have reduced it radically.

If you have the opportunity to listen to my speeches or debates ten, fifteen years ago, then it would have been a different kettle of fish all together. So, I am convinced that I’ve tried, I am trying and I will continue to try to ensure that my language, or my idiolect is as limpid and as diaphanous as possible.

But, let me say that I am an omnivorous reader and I put my nose on the grinding stone to read for more than 7 hours a day when most innocent men are sleeping, and night marauders are doing their business. I am on my table, in my Library for 7 hours. And that has been on for over twenty years. And like I always tell people, the dictionary for me is not a reference point; the dictionary is a vade mecum, a constant companion.

I spend on the average not less than an hour a day referencing the dictionary for the past twenty to twenty-five years. So don’t be maniacally bewildered if I speak most times, from what I draw while reading. But, really, the intention is not to deliberately befuddle or obfuscate my presentations on the floor.

My Political experience
I was a student Union activist all my years in the University of Benin. Little wonder, as soon as I left the University and finished my Youth Service, I dabbled into the aqua of political arena. If I remember vividly, I contested my first election into Oredu Local Government Area (LGA) as a Councillor only one year after my Youth Service.

So I have been in State and National politics effectively from 1999. But it has not been a bed of roses, giving the miasma, given that convoluted phantasmagoria, given the prependalism and all the intrigues in Nigerian politics.

I contested several elections and lost several elections. Some not because I lost, but because of course, we are in Nigeria, and the X factor in Nigerian politics is still very important.

But, I knew right back from when I started, that I had a date with history, with destiny. At every time I lost an election, I would decide to be more recusant rather than being recumbent. I decided to be more quixotic rather than being laisser-faire- to challenge my destiny the more rather than relapsing into a cocoon of levity, or into a cocoon of political narcissisms. And I thank the great galaxy of the universe, after several attempts at political office in 1999, my bread was buttered.

The cosmic afforded me the lacuna to give a vivacious and vibrant representation to my constituency.

And since then, it has been one political victory to the other as ordained by God.

That was why mandate to remain the amiable representatives of Oredo Federal constituency was challenged very, very viscerally, at the election tribunal, I had no fear that at end of the day it was going to be victory for me. this is because I am a robot in the hand of God.

I believe that the hand of God and the cosmic imprimaturs are in my political odyssey. If it were by my grace or by my powers, by my capacity, I Probably would not have been qualified in the first place to become a councillor in my local govern
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/03/06/why-i-speak-big-big-grammar-hon-obahiagbon/

shocked grin grin grin
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by doyin13(m): 12:41pm On Mar 06, 2010
Parliaments all around the world are each given a unique flavour
because of characters like this.

Let us celebrate him. . . .
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by aminu77: 1:42pm On Mar 06, 2010
The good thing about it is that,he knows what is saying and serious about it.
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by AndreUweh(m): 2:04pm On Mar 06, 2010
I think there should be a vocabulary contest between Patrick, Kosovo and Dede1. Who do you think will win?.
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by Alxmyr(m): 7:16pm On Mar 06, 2010
Andre Uweh:

I think there should be a vocabulary contest between Patrick, Kosovo and Dede1. Who do you think will win?.

Patrick will flaw them all
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by xterra2(m): 8:01pm On Mar 06, 2010
I like this guy so much,and he is my best National Assembly member he also speaks the truth
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by maedan(f): 8:14pm On Mar 06, 2010
It's not just what you say, it's how you say it. Dood always talks like he has hot food in his mouth. He doesn't sound very polished even with them big words. However, he is a great source of amusement.
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by chic2pimp(m): 8:36pm On Mar 06, 2010
shadrach77:

Why I speak the way I do

Sincerely speaking, I want to tender an unreserved apologia to my colleagues and all those who feel that my language is obscurantist. The truth is that I do not set out deliberately to mystify my audience, to deposit my audience in a portmanteau of indecipherability or in portmanteau of conundrum grin. No, no, no, no! Far from it.

The cosmic force would not allow me to do that. But, you see if you ask homo sapients(why not just say humans? undecided) who have interfaced with me for close to twenty years now, they would tell you that I no longer speak high sounding language. I have reduced it radically.

But, let me say that I am an omnivorous reader and I put my nose on the grinding stone to read for more than 7 hours a day when most innocent men are sleeping, and night marauders are doing their business(this is actually funny Hehehegrin grin grin grin). I am on my table, in my Library for 7 hours. And that has been on for over twenty years. And like I always tell people, the dictionary for me is not a reference point; the dictionary is a vade mecum, a constant companion.

My Political experience

Hehehehehehehehehe grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

If this dude says he has aparently toned down his Big Grammar, heaven help those who met wayyy before this happened undecided
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by TippyTop(m): 8:38pm On Mar 06, 2010
This is hilarious, the verbose king trying to convince us he has reduced his verbosity actually pushed me back to phantasmagoria.
Na wa.
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by maedan(f): 8:51pm On Mar 06, 2010
And by the way, is homo-sapiently possible (lol) to read for 7 hours a day?? I mean what time does he have to eat, work, rest, interact?? Pls his case is opprobrious cheesy.
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by Igwe9(m): 9:22pm On Mar 06, 2010
and what has he got to say about the huggermugger surrounding the health of mr president?
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by kosovo(m): 9:41pm On Mar 06, 2010
, cheesy grin grin
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by semid1(m): 9:58pm On Mar 06, 2010
Na wa o. . .some mothers do have 'em. Just wondering if he speaks English in this manner to his kids and family members?
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by Eziachi: 10:23pm On Mar 06, 2010
Does this guy has something like a town hall meetings with members of his contituents at all? If he does, I will presume he bring someone to decode this foolishness to them, because I personally has no idea what the guy is talking about.

I will seriously pay to watch this guy go through a job interview, as that will be quite a viewing. What a clown!!
Only in Nigeria. Someone on this thread has even said that he celebrates the guy. What else is new?

I can envisage a scenario now of him asking his wife for a glass of Hydrogen mixed with two molecules of oxygen, also known as AQUA while he is already choking/dying on his peppered food, while his wife is running around the neigbourhood looking for a proffesor on nonesensical grammar to decode for her what her husband is demanding, instead of him simply asking for a glass of water.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by samuelk(m): 10:35pm On Mar 06, 2010
Eziachi:

Does this guy has something like a town hall meetings with members of his contituents at all? If he does, I will presume he bring someone to decode this foolishness to them, because I personally has no idea what the guy is talking about.

I will seriously pay to watch this guy go through a job interview, as that will be quite a viewing. What a clown!!
Only in Nigeria. Someone on this thread has even said that he celebrates the guy. What else is new?

I can envisage a scenario now of him asking his wife for a glass of Hydrogen mixed with two molecules of oxygen, also known as AQUA while he is already joking/dying on his peppered food, while his wife is running around the neigbourhood looking for a proffesor nonesensical grammar to decode for her what her husband is demanding, instead of simply asking for a glass of water.

grin grin grin
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by fyneguy: 10:49pm On Mar 06, 2010
Patrick, you have caused a plethora of grammatical brouhaha grin
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by maedan(f): 10:51pm On Mar 06, 2010
Eziachi:

I can envisage a scenario now of him asking his wife for a glass of Hydrogen mixed with two molecules of oxygen, also known as AQUA while he is already joking/dying on his peppered food, while his wife is running around the neigbourhood looking for a proffesor nonesensical grammar to decode for her what her husband is demanding, instead of simply asking for a glass of water.

LOL. I wonder what he'll say when he wants them to err. . go to bed. She'll pro'lly lose interest by the time he finishes talking tongue.
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by tayoast(m): 10:52pm On Mar 06, 2010
aminu77:

The good thing about it is that,he knows what is saying and serious about it.

yeah.

d guy said he's grammatical usage has reduced 'radically'.

I wonder wat it was like yrs ago
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by Abagworo(m): 11:39pm On Mar 06, 2010
just like the guy.his big words kinda like makes the house interesting.
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by naijamini(m): 1:12am On Mar 07, 2010
It used to be contest in the era he attended high school to see who can speak the biggest grammar. People would practice debates this way. Unfortunately, he took it way too far, but he does know what he is talking about even if his audience is left bewildered.

One such statement of those days tells about a man who ran to the fire station shouting: "A magnanimous conflagration is consuming the magnificient edifice of my domicile", which is to say, "My big house is burning down".

Good entertainment!
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by shotster50(m): 1:27am On Mar 07, 2010
My favourite class clown is back.
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by A40(m): 1:45am On Mar 07, 2010
xterra2:

I like this guy so much,and he is my best National Assembly member he also speaks the truth
Walahi that dude is a bad mutha-shut-your mouth. I can watch the guy debate all day men

maedan:

And by the way, is homo-sapiently possible (lol) to read for 7 hours a day?? I mean what time does he have to eat, work, rest, interact?? Pls his case is opprobrious cheesy.
Lolz wetin be opprobrious ooh? I no read English for University lol
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by ezeagu(m): 1:48am On Mar 07, 2010
shotster50:

My favourite class clown is back.

Ah, ah give the man some respect now! shocked
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by mafioso2(m): 1:55am On Mar 07, 2010
Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon is 1 of Edo State Product in the House of Reps, i have forgotten the other Guy's name sha but those dudes are really doing gr8t job, Kudos to you my Hon. You are a Rare Gem, [size=4pt]Haters shhhhhhhhh[/size]
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by Ndipe(m): 2:08am On Mar 07, 2010
Andre Uweh:

And Jakumo!
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by Nobody: 9:45am On Mar 07, 2010
In as much as i don't begrudge the guy of this rare achievement, i will pause to state that i prefer people who uses simpler terms to make a nice english construction that will be decipherable to the majority of his listeners. A good speaker is one who speaks in the terms the listeners are conversant with and not the other way round. Producing jaw-breaking words does not imply ur versatility in the language. He is not my model.
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by chidyke77(m): 11:47am On Mar 07, 2010
The guy do amuse me a lot and hs colleagues are also enjoying hm by clapping for hm.
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by FrankC3: 12:32pm On Mar 07, 2010
Infact, this "homo sapien has thrown me into a state of emotional laceration an utter catalepsy". grin grin grin
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by naso2(m): 1:27pm On Mar 07, 2010
For those begrudging this guy, please note that these Vocabs were of immense value in removing hair dresser Patricia ette, it also inflicted heart attack on one nothern honourable. Who ways this guy has not contributed. Sometimes if you cant convince people confuse them.

Did you guys see how the speaker simply 'begged' him when he attempted opening the deployment of soldiers saga?

On a serious note however, the guys views are to a large extent very very popular amongst progressives. He is still one of the few still supporting the passage of the FOI bill.
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by yeswecan(m): 1:38pm On Mar 07, 2010
I think the essence of having a systematic means of communicating either sounds or conventional symbols is to transmit information, if you are not communicating with your audience its as good as not saying a word. Hon Patrick Obahiagbon could be intelligent, who cares? he is not communicating with his audience, that's for sure AND his grammar makes him ridiculous. I mean even the English men don't go this far . . . he is fooling himself.
Re: Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon by naso2(m): 1:41pm On Mar 07, 2010
^^^^^^^^^^
I dont think so. While these jaw-breaking words are common with him , I think it is still easy to get the crux of whatever he is saying. You can check again.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ambode Approves Welfare Support For Abandoned Mother Of Triple Twins. / President Buhari Donates $500,000, Vehicles To Guinea Bissau For Elections / Enugu PDP Congress: Nnamani Emerges Party Chairman (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.