Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,622 members, 7,809,291 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:21 AM

Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? (24014 Views)

What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? / See What These Two IMSU First Class Graduates Received At Their Induction. / List Of First Nigerian Professors In Various Disciplines (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by Nobody: 9:05am On Oct 02, 2017
Rapmoney, nice write-up. You spoke the plain truth, and I agree with you.

The MAIN problem is that ordinary schools, especially the ones in Africa, are designed to churn out people who can read and write, haven't set their ambitions too high, and will be able to fit into the working world where they will carry out a menial and bureaucratic function for average pay.

There are so many people with astonishing potentials, but have had them killed because of the education system. One of the worst mistakes the state can make is to shovel all children, no matter their differences, into "one size fits all" schools where they get a standardised curriculum that is never tailored to any child's particular needs and talents. If you provided everyone on earth with a one-size-fits-all set of clothes, most would look terrible, while, for a lucky few, they would be a perfect fit. So, it is with education. For a few, the education system is just right - for everyone else it's a lesser or greater disaster.

The students with the best grades are often not the most intelligent ones, but the ones with the best short-time memory or best at rote, robotic learning. After an exam, they usually forget most of the material.

That's why, like you said, it's the outsiders, the non-conformists, the freethinkers, the rebels and heretics who find the system nauseating, that tend to create anything worthwhile.

Education ought to be about discovering what children are good at, and what they're not. If you teach mathematics to a person who has no mathematical aptitude, you will shatter their confidence and self-esteem. Don't keep making people do things for which they have no glimmer of talent. It's pointless, counter-productive and psychologically damaging, and in the end, their real talent remains undiscovered and unexplored.
Tozara

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by hanassholesolo: 9:08am On Oct 02, 2017
musicwriter:
What you need to understand is the education we get in Africa is just standard education, according to what white people wants us to know. It's so because this education was handed down to us by Europeans before leaving Africa. So, what we have in Africa is like a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy, and so on. It's because we copied it from others that it would naturally keep losing quality, just like you keep photocopying a document from one to another. [/b] http://www.africason.com/2015/10/intellectual-slavery-most-dangerous.html

Is it meticulously difficult to get updated curriculum from te internet? Your point here doesn't hold water since modern textbook are constantly being donated to Africans and for heavens sake, the internet exist but as usual we want the whites to feed us everything and when they don't we called them "evil white"

1 Like

Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by oluwamitomisin: 9:08am On Oct 02, 2017
OP and commenters in support of him/her, all I could read here is some form of hatred for a particular set of people- first class holders and professors.

Mind that you are a graduate of whatever class you got from the higher institution also, and the burden is on all to improve our society at large. Stop being inferior!!!

I wish I have more time to reply y'all.

4 Likes

Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by bublin(m): 9:09am On Oct 02, 2017
An Insightful thread ,but the development of this country shouldnt lie solely on first class graduates and professors, there should be different level of intelligence in any successful team.

To develop our dear country ,we need to know our specific duties ,do them deligently and appreciate our colleagues .

Nigeria is not under develop only because we don't produce major things in this country ,there are so many countries that are doing well without producing too much itself, infact most of the things use in US ,UK ,Saudi Arabia amongs others weren't produce there but imported.

In US, an indigene is valued for work and respected greatly or let me say he/she knows his/her right and will be supported ,but here a chineese will use our workers(including first class graduate) anyhow, all these leads to low confidence in individual worth and ability because of fear of the employer, let the same employee goes to an enabling work environment, he will perform excellently.

President trump on inauguration, constituted advisory committee in which a Nigerian is among, our own leaders should establish such because these intellects will assist him in "thinking".

Succinctly, let the highly intellects in our dear country be humble enough to work with others because great ideas drive development and anyone can give it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by cnc(m): 9:11am On Oct 02, 2017
The answer to all your questions lie in your last paragraph...

Rapmoney:
For those folks who love throwing stones at people due to hidden tribal, religious, family or pure blind sentiments, I write this post without any bias. If you have a first-class graduate or a professor in your family or you are one, don't take this personal, even if I know that your sentiments are irrelevant and remove nothing from or add nothing to the basic truth!

From independence to our present day, Nigeria as a country has been churning out first-class graduates from different universities that are scattered across the country like the creeks of Calabar. Often times, we are greeted with news headlines on newspapers, television, radio and online media such as: '45 Bagg First-Class From Migwor University' or '38 Graduate With First-Class From University of Vrendo'. Now, I ask, where are these first-class graduates? What have they been able to contribute to and achieve in science, art, technology and other facets of life? Is it that their 'intelligence' was only expressible on thick papers called certificates?

How come we still can't manufacture wrist-watches even with all our first-class graduates and professors in Engineering?

How come we have the raw materials to construct roads, yet we need some Arab fellows with a pass in National Diplomas to supervise road construction projects in Nigeria?!!! Where are our first-class graduates in Civil Engineering?

Where are all the project works that were defended in school before graduation? Probably resting on those old dusty cockroach and rat-infested shelves as usual

Our agricultural productivity is very low in many areas, yet we have been churning our first-class graduates and professors from various faculties of Agriculture in different tertiary institutions (universities and polytecnics).

Most private universities in Nigeria award first-class degrees as if they were oranges, kuli-kuli, biscuits or bubble gums. Each time these universities dish out their usual rounds of first-class degrees, it reminds me of how our aunties and uncles used to hand us many sweets, biscuits and gums during their children's birthday parties in the early 80's. To be sincere, I've met some first-class graduates from these schools who didn't even know the main difference between a university and a polytecnic. They couldn't impress me!

Most of the indigenous products we use in this country are the handwork and brainchild of folks who obtained technical knowledge from technical institutions and other sources within and outside Nigeria.

Those that studied abroad and bagged first-class degrees and the professors who were tutored abroad usually come back home with no significant contribution in science, art, technology and other areas, irrespective of the fact that most of them studied under scholarships or grants.

Until the educational system in Nigeria is over-hauled, we are going to witness more and more half-baked and quarter-baked first-class holders and professors who are products of a system that promotes mediocrity at the expense of value and quality.

The government of Poland spends about 3% of its annual budget on RESEARCH, just research alone (NOT EDUCATION). Don't we have so-called professors in government? What is their significance?

1 Like

Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by Rapmoney(m): 9:29am On Oct 02, 2017
Nukilia:

@Desyner is not correct with the abusive words used on HND graduates. We have smart guys who have HND and are doing great. I guess the problem is with the idea of everyone trying to get a certificate and they don't know what to use the knowledge acquired for in the society.

When an Engineer becomes a comdeian and people hail him because he/she is making money, then you know there's problem with the system.

When a biochemistry graduate start making money from frying "Akara" then his pastor will tell him that frying "Akara" is his calling.

We have lots of problem in this our country, and all will be solved the day our universities and polytechnics review their curriculum and get enough funding for research and direct application of result to national problem.
Thanks for understanding.

2 Likes

Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by omoelerin1: 9:33am On Oct 02, 2017
FUCKmeHARD:
How can a first class graduate manufacture a 'common' wristwatch as you call it when the country cannot boast of steady power supply?

No constant power! All engineering training equipment in our schools and hospitals are outdated!

Buhari is always travelling to UK to treat his retired Dick there because the money meant for even aso rock clinic is whats been shared to all his family members while left over is for BMC and Herdsmen terrorizing good people, blocking roads and robbing day and night with riffle !

Then they turn around send you to come here asking why do we train half baked doctors?!

I'd keep saying No Power supply!

Nigerian Immigration Prints our Passports in Asia!

All Airtel and MTN Base stations are remotely controlled and repaired in India so how does a gradute of ET learn by just reading this.

Oil wells in southern Nigeria are all shipped to be refined at ten times ten the actual amount.
Then we turn around to import it back.

How would the nigerian graduate learn?

Infact I was at a refinary in Turkey meeeeen ya need to see how university student studying engineering that are always taken there to see the practicals!

While no refinary works in nigeria because the money has been shared and hidden in the north.

Meanwhile Ijaw boys that refine their birth right crude oil and sell to the common man at cheaper rate will find greedy northern security officers trying to get the lion share or take all proceed which most times they call NTA to video khaki boys pouring crude into rivers causing environment polution instead of the Govt to give everyone free hand to refine our property so engineering IT studen can also come and learn...

Nigeria imports guns into the country as confired by Hamid Ali, because our steel rolling mills in Ajakuta and Others cant get power supply to function. For if it has all power supply to fuction, at least there will be IT student learning practicals and there would be knowledge transfer that would make nigerian graduate capable of handling machines breakdown without inviting the china man.

We have Tobaco and ganger / Oshogbo weed in this nigeria yet every day you constantly see imported Cigar! Then how does the nigerian graduate learn how to repair and maintain cigar making machines

These are few....

We have fine girls all over nigeria yet Osho Baba imported woman!

Condom is imported yet we have rubber trees every where!

No research grants for anyone yet you want nigerian graduate to kill himself?
I think Buhari going to London to treat his expired dick is as a result of the foundation laid by his predecessor. Former president, Jonathan, always sent his wife, mama Patience, to Germany to operate on her expired pussy. All this with state money. This is a very bad precedent for the country. Your contribution would have made a lot of senses and go a long way as an advice to the people in the position of authority, but unfortunately, tribal bigotry and hatred have ruined your life. What a pity? Apparently, the existence of people like you is the reason Nigeria is in this very mess we are talking about. Pathetic lot!

1 Like

Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by Rapmoney(m): 9:36am On Oct 02, 2017
oluwamitomisin:
OP and commenters in support of him/her, all I could read here is some form of hatred for a particular set of people- first class holders and professors.

Mind that you are a graduate of whatever class you got from the higher institution also, and the burden is on all to improve our society at large. Stop being inferior!!!

I don't think you read the first paragraph of my post because if you did, you would have sounded differently. Don't take it personal; truth hurts. By the way, the atmosphere surrounding the post has nothing to do with superiority or inferiority.

1 Like

Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by bablogee(m): 9:37am On Oct 02, 2017
Kindly watch "THREE IDIOT" you might get some insight, thanks.

1 Like

Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by Nobody: 9:41am On Oct 02, 2017
oluwamitomisin:

Kindly read his first paragraph over and over, this time, read slowly for better understanding and to flush this your thought out of your system. You only assumed what you always do, not everybody is like you.
Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by ivolt: 9:43am On Oct 02, 2017
@Rapmoney, this is a very good question.

The answer lies in Nigeria's priority.
As you know that scientific development is largely dependent on money
We don't have enough money for food and health(allegedly), so R&D is
relegated to the back room.

What is even surprising is the mindset of many Nigerians even the learned
ones, I can see some posters already blaming Britain for the problem we face
when the same britain colonised singapore, malaysia and South Africa, yet
some seemingly literate people think that britain hid the
"true education" from Nigerians.

Until our schools start encouraging thinking instead of linguists-only and the
government stop mismanagement, the first class and professors will
continue to do what their predecessors are doing, collecting salaries and
getting by while blame continues to be passed around.

4 Likes

Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by rossychik(f): 9:48am On Oct 02, 2017
[i][/i]the answer to ur questions re:

there re no enabling environment to put dis into practice
some don't have d finance to takeup their area of study- I have a person who read cereramics pottery, he wants to practice it but u know d rest.he is now teaching it in a private sch which is not his will to do so

lack of employment has even made some of them to travel abroad eg I know a med. doc couldn't even get a job in d govt, he was with a private Hosp. very intelligent n fine doc, he later traveled to one of this Asian countries.

finally our educational system is more theory than practical, stories have been told where our graduates can write d theory but can't identify d said object

therefore it may not really be their fault rather we don't have an enabling environment.
Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by Kendrick80(m): 9:48am On Oct 02, 2017
Overseas
Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by alpontif(m): 9:49am On Oct 02, 2017
I think we should put this to rest once and for all.

The OP's assertions stem from a place of ignorance and wrong premises /assumptions.

First class graduates and University professors cannot do anything unless they are empowered to do so by an active government policy/masterplan on scientific /industrial research and development.

The Government providers the means, the scientists and first class graduates will provide the results.

Without the means, you cannot have the results. And it is only Government and huge MNCs that have the resources to provide the means.

All the scientists doing great things abroad are doing so because they have access to the means, not because they are more intelligent than the Nigerian scientist.

Developed Countries have provided the means for industrial development, it is the government you should query, not the competence of First Class graduates or University professors.

That is why I said your question stemmed from a place of ignorance /wrong assumption.

It's like the common wrong assumption people make about mechanical engineers, thinking that they ought to be able to design and repair Cars. Not knowing or caring to clarify what mechanical engineering is, and know that it is different from automobile engineering or Motor mechanics technology.

A mechanical engineer will not know anything about motor vehicles unless his speciality is automobile engineering.

So when you shout up and down that Mechanical engineers are incompetent because they can't repair cars, you are only announcing your ignorance to the world.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by athorello(m): 9:50am On Oct 02, 2017
This post is irrelevant... 2-3 out of 5 first class graduates will find their way out of the country, one way or another. Even those who intended to settle in lecturing jobs still find their way after a short while. On the long run, most first class end up very well unless the village influence thick well well. Overall, Nigerian bred Profs are weak weak but those with foreign or mixed touch are doing great in their fields. Many Profs and their students have brought ideas or solutions that only govt or major major coys can fund or buy.
So the roots of the challenges is what needs to be assayed.
Speaking as a first class, all I'm seeking for are good research programs in especially the americas and middle east that will pay u a bunch comparable to what your folks are earning in the IOCs.

3 Likes

Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by Nobody: 9:50am On Oct 02, 2017
Our educational system does not encourage creativity. It only encourages getting good grades and coming out with first class or 2:1.

Countries like China, Japan, and many Western countries emphasize doing stuff, solving real problems of society, etc. That is why they are miles ahead of us.

1 Like

Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by kirchofff(m): 9:50am On Oct 02, 2017
musicwriter:
What you need to understand is the education we get in Africa is just standard education, according to what white people wants us to know. It's so because this education was handed down to us by Europeans before leaving Africa. So, what we have in Africa is like a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy, and so on. It's because we copied it from others that it would naturally keep losing quality, just like you keep photocopying a document from one to another. My senior brothers got a better quality education than me, and I got a better quality education than my junior ones. Those that would come after us would keep getting less quality education. This is already an open secret, and everybody knows education is increasingly losing quality by the year. The more we copy it to future generations, the more it would lose quality.

I remember when we were in school back in the days, and they used to say those in primary school couldn't write a good letter. Later, the saying changed that those in secondary school couldn't write a good letter. Now, they say university graduates can't write a good letter anymore. Most of the certificates and qualifications ends on paper, not in practice. If those qualifications were real, you'll see it in our streets, in science and technology and all the other fields you mentioned.

However, it was deliberately designed that way right from the time it was handed to us by Britain. The colonial masters weren't really interested in giving education to their colonies. It was an after thought, and when they did, their priority was training people who can speak their various languages, people who could help them run the colonial administration, people who they could control. It wasn't about giving technical skills or learning how to build our own airplane. As a matter of fact, an educated person in British colony in the 1920's was someone who could speak English language. And in French colonies it was someone who could speak French language. The education disables an African mind to want to aspire scientifically, and as I said, it was deliberately designed that way. That's why we can't build our own roads and the rest of the things. It was designed so we continue to import our needs from the master.

We're going nowhere, until African leaders and those managing education in Africa understand this and re-invent education based on African philosophy.

As you suggested, the solution is overhaul the thing called education and re-install a brand new system of education created by us, a system of education without colonial hangovers. This would include using our native languages to acquire knowledge. Only then shall somebody who tells you he studied about mosquito talk about mosquito in a way it would be open source knowledge to everybody. It would no longer be a topic you have to first qualify as an English speaker to understand. A system of education that disqualifies our native languages from knowledge acquisition is slavery!! .

Anybody interested in reading more should see the link on my signature, part 1 and part 2. See intellectual slavery, the worst legacy of colonialism http://www.africason.com/2015/10/intellectual-slavery-most-dangerous.html
yeah this was exactly what the Asians did, (China, Japan, Korea etc.)
Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by somito121(m): 9:54am On Oct 02, 2017
I seriously appreciate the guy that put up this topic. I have always wondered why we have professors in this country, even phd holders and yet we can not even produce tooth pick. The purpose for education has been lost. Coming to first class issue, 95% of our first class students is as a result of LA CRAM LA POUR.

3 Likes

Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by madridguy(m): 9:58am On Oct 02, 2017
Tonto dike grin grin Well, I will continue to blame our government.

tosyne2much:
Even the number of people viewing this thread justifies the falling standard of our education. Go to Tonto Dike's thread and check the difference cheesy

People no longer value education but shortcuts
Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by cstr1000: 9:59am On Oct 02, 2017
Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by muba4huss(m): 9:59am On Oct 02, 2017
madridguy:
Tonto dike grin grin Well, I will continue to blame our government.

we all looking for quick money
Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by steve6: 9:59am On Oct 02, 2017
musicwriter:
What you need to understand is the education we get in Africa is just standard education, according to what white people wants us to know. It's so because this education was handed down to us by Europeans before leaving Africa. So, what we have in Africa is like a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy, and so on. It's because we copied it from others that it would naturally keep losing quality, just like you keep photocopying a document from one to another. My senior brothers got a better quality education than me, and I got a better quality education than my junior ones. Those that would come after us would keep getting less quality education. This is already an open secret, and everybody knows education is increasingly losing quality by the year. The more we copy it to future generations, the more it would lose quality.

I remember when we were in school back in the days, and they used to say those in primary school couldn't write a good letter. Later, the saying changed that those in secondary school couldn't write a good letter. Now, they say university graduates can't write a good letter anymore. Most of the certificates and qualifications ends on paper, not in practice. If those qualifications were real, you'll see it in our streets, in science and technology and all the other fields you mentioned.

However, it was deliberately designed that way right from the time it was handed to us by Britain. The colonial masters weren't really interested in giving education to their colonies. It was an after thought, and when they did, their priority was training people who can speak their various languages, people who could help them run the colonial administration, people who they could control. It wasn't about giving technical skills or learning how to build our own airplane. As a matter of fact, an educated person in British colony in the 1920's was someone who could speak English language. And in French colonies it was someone who could speak French language. The education disables an African mind to want to aspire scientifically, and as I said, it was deliberately designed that way. That's why we can't build our own roads and the rest of the things. It was designed so we continue to import our needs from the master.

We're going nowhere, until African leaders and those managing education in Africa understand this and re-invent education based on African philosophy.

As you suggested, the solution is overhaul the thing called education and re-install a brand new system of education created by us, a system of education without colonial hangovers. This would include using our native languages to acquire knowledge. Only then shall somebody who tells you he studied about mosquito talk about mosquito in a way it would be open source knowledge to everybody. It would no longer be a topic you have to first qualify as an English speaker to understand. A system of education that disqualifies our native languages from knowledge acquisition is slavery!! .

Anybody interested in reading more should see the link on my signature, part 1 and part 2. See intellectual slavery, the worst legacy of colonialism http://www.africason.com/2015/10/intellectual-slavery-most-dangerous.html

Deep insight bro! Really appreciate you sharing this knowledge. Let's keep hope alive. Together, people like you and other well meaning Nigerians will rewrite the story of this great country! All hope is not lost!
Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by Nobody: 10:00am On Oct 02, 2017
Rapmoney:
For those folks who love throwing stones at people due to hidden tribal, religious, family or pure blind sentiments, I write this post without any bias. If you have a first-class graduate or a professor in your family or you are one, don't take this personal, even if I know that your sentiments are irrelevant and remove nothing from or add nothing to the basic truth!

From independence to our present day, Nigeria as a country has been churning out first-class graduates from different universities that are scattered across the country like the creeks of Calabar. Often times, we are greeted with news headlines on newspapers, television, radio and online media such as: '45 Bagg First-Class From Migwor University' or '38 Graduate With First-Class From University of Vrendo'. Now, I ask, where are these first-class graduates? What have they been able to contribute to and achieve in science, art, technology and other facets of life? Is it that their 'intelligence' was only expressible on thick papers called certificates?

How come we still can't manufacture wrist-watches even with all our first-class graduates and professors in Engineering?

How come we have the raw materials to construct roads, yet we need some Arab fellows with a pass in National Diplomas to supervise road construction projects in Nigeria?!!! Where are our first-class graduates in Civil Engineering?

Where are all the project works that were defended in school before graduation? Probably resting on those old dusty cockroach and rat-infested shelves as usual

Our agricultural productivity is very low in many areas, yet we have been churning our first-class graduates and professors from various faculties of Agriculture in different tertiary institutions (universities and polytecnics).

Most private universities in Nigeria award first-class degrees as if they were oranges, kuli-kuli, biscuits or bubble gums. Each time these universities dish out their usual rounds of first-class degrees, it reminds me of how our aunties and uncles used to hand us many sweets, biscuits and gums during their children's birthday parties in the early 80's. To be sincere, I've met some first-class graduates from these schools who didn't even know the main difference between a university and a polytecnic. They couldn't impress me!

Most of the indigenous products we use in this country are the handwork and brainchild of folks who obtained technical knowledge from technical institutions and other sources within and outside Nigeria.

Those that studied abroad and bagged first-class degrees and the professors who were tutored abroad usually come back home with no significant contribution in science, art, technology and other areas, irrespective of the fact that most of them studied under scholarships or grants.

Until the educational system in Nigeria is over-hauled, we are going to witness more and more half-baked and quarter-baked first-class holders and professors who are products of a system that promotes mediocrity at the expense of value and quality.

The government of Poland spends about 3% of its annual budget on RESEARCH, just research alone (NOT EDUCATION). Don't we have so-called professors in government? What is their significance?

We have useless higher institutions in nigeria. U can't make headway with theory.

1 Like

Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by madridguy(m): 10:02am On Oct 02, 2017
Yes and our government should be blame.

muba4huss:
we all looking for quick money
Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by emmanuelpopson(m): 10:10am On Oct 02, 2017
Let me quote what Thomas Edison said
"Creativity is based on 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration"
I'll blame the govt for some of this ineptitudes reason been that..
1.power supply
2.outdated syllabus
3.quota system
4.lack of motivation
5.in conducive environment to practice etc.
points given above are some of the reasons we lack production capacity but depends on the whites for survival..
solutions:
we need to be proactive in nature..let govt give more attention on technical education by funding research, innovative drives and crest enabling environment to sustainable growth and development..

talented individuals in their respective fields should be motivated,encouraged and supported in research and they should be courted to train others..

science and technology syllabus should be compulsory from primary SCH onwards and govt are to harvest the best brains irrespective of the tribe or ethnicity for further knowledge and application...

1 Like

Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by Rapmoney(m): 10:15am On Oct 02, 2017
ivolt:
@Rapmoney, this is a very good question.

The answer lies in Nigeria's priority.
As you know that scientific development is largely dependent on money
We don't have enough money for food and health(allegedly), so R&grin is
relegated to the back room.

What is even surprising is the mindset of many Nigerians even the learned
ones, I can see some posters already blaming Britain for the problem we face
when the same britain colonised singapore, malaysia and South Africa, yet
some seemingly literate people think that britain hid the
"true education" from Nigerians.

Until our schools start encouraging thinking instead of linguists-only and the
government stop mismanagement, the first class and professors will
continue to do what their predecessors are doing, collecting salaries and
getting by while blame continues to be passed around.
You are correct. That's a sensible observation. All the same, I think Britain didn't colonize South Africa; South Africa was colonized by the Dutch.

1 Like

Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by omoelerin1: 10:17am On Oct 02, 2017
Rapmoney:

I want to believe you are not a half-baked but a fully- baked, then what are you doing? Where is your innovation? where is your contribution? Who tells you that those guru in technology are professors/first class grad? Did you know majority of them are drop-outs? Are those Arab project managers professors or graduates?

1 Like

Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by francis247(m): 10:22am On Oct 02, 2017
Exactly the thoughts running through my mind yesterday. The great inventors and those who built on their works, which university did they finish from? Education is just another invention to keep humanity occupied . Will never teach nor allow my children believe the "heresy" that it is the key to a brighter future and a fulfilled life and all that balderdash.

2 Likes

Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by Rapmoney(m): 10:31am On Oct 02, 2017
ToZaraWithaZ:
Rapmoney, nice write-up. You spoke the plain truth, and I agree with you.

The MAIN problem is that ordinary schools, especially the ones in Africa, are designed to churn out people who can read and write, haven't set their ambitions too high, and will be able to fit into the working world where they will carry out a menial and bureaucratic function for average pay.

There are so many people with astonishing potentials, but have had them killed because of the education system. One of the worst mistakes the state can make is to shovel all children, no matter their differences, into "one size fits all" schools where they get a standardised curriculum that is never tailored to any child's particular needs and talents. If you provided everyone on earth with a one-size-fits-all set of clothes, most would look terrible, while, for a lucky few, they would be a perfect fit. So, it is with education. For a few, the education system is just right - for everyone else it's a lesser or greater disaster.

The students with the best grades are often not the most intelligent ones, but the ones with the best short-time memory or best at rote, robotic learning. After an exam, they usually forget most of the material.

That's why, like you said, it's the outsiders, the non-conformists, the freethinkers, the rebels and heretics who find the system nauseating, that tend to create anything worthwhile.

Education ought to be about discovering what children are good at, and what they're not. If you teach mathematics to a person who has no mathematical aptitude, you will shatter their confidence and self-esteem. Don't keep making people do things for which they have no glimmer of talent. It's pointless, counter-productive and psychologically damaging, and in the end, their real talent remains undiscovered and unexplored.
Thanks. Wonderful analysis.

1 Like

Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by Nobody: 10:35am On Oct 02, 2017
Some of dem are drivers for Dangote angry
Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by dsocioemmy(m): 10:40am On Oct 02, 2017
I love this thread. i'm coming back to contribute
Re: Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? by akigbemaru: 10:42am On Oct 02, 2017
Rapmoney:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Types Of People You Will Find In Funaab Night Classes / Unilag Merit Admission List For 2011/2012 Session Is Out / Final Exam Pictures Of UNIUYO Business Management Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.