Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,180 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:23 AM

My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! (18399 Views)

My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic / My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC / It's Medically Wrong To Use The AC Just Immediately You Enter Your Hot Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by masxyz: 8:14am On Oct 03, 2017
Check the direction of your fan. You fan could be rotating, but blowing away from your radiator. It happened to my car.
Ask your friends who use the same model.
Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by luckydion(m): 8:15am On Oct 03, 2017
cupidkef:

They are coming for you.... tongue

Toyota moves market... However, depends on the location... the product has high value in nigeria... So telling someone to run away is ...........
Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by optimised: 8:17am On Oct 03, 2017
@ OP,
While still attending to your over heating issue, pls be aware that you have created another problem !
Did I hear your mention using Abro coolant for your Corolla?
Be informed that that chemical composition of that referred coolant was meant for car engines of the era of Peugeot 504 , VW Beetles, etc, (with iron engine ). Your car has aluminium engine. That Abro will simply gradually erode your engine and all metallic components that comes in the coolant. Creating problem in the long run.
Solution : drain that Abro coolant and either use Toyota Red or Pink Coolant (original will quite costly, though ) or the green coolant of Subaru. Or in the absence of these, or if funds are insufficient, use distilled water for your radiator.
Second, consult your car owners manual and search online m
& download the repair or workshop manual for your model of car. It will guide you on proper procedures to follow.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by JONNYSPUTE(m): 8:18am On Oct 03, 2017
Nothing to worry about bro. It happened to my Toyota Camry Nd a mechanic asked me to change my radiator to a double cell,I did Nd it stopped. I think u ve the same issue. Try it out first.
Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by VickyWinky: 8:18am On Oct 03, 2017
tolulopetoby:
My brother, please change your fan, the Speed of the fan is lower than normal. I was once a victim. Ignore the speed test by your mechanic, they are clown. Try this and thank me later.
Exactly!!! This happened to my car though not a Toyota. I went through hell on Apapa route., you know what I mean. Immediately I was advised to change the radiator to double cell and double fans and I did, it ended the over heating. In fact, now the car under heats even with the ac on.
Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by VickyWinky: 8:21am On Oct 03, 2017
JONNYSPUTE:
Nothing to worry about bro. It happened to my Toyota Camry Nd a mechanic asked me to change my radiator to a double cell,I did Nd it stopped. I think u ve the same issue. Try it out first.
I'm sorry the quote I picked earlier was wrong. This is the correct one
Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by juninho(m): 8:21am On Oct 03, 2017
Perhaps you have a single cell radiator. Consider changing it to a double cell radiator
Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by LUDATRAVELS(m): 8:22am On Oct 03, 2017
Take your car to autologic/honmusa for fix. He help to fix my own seemly impossible overheating issue before
https://www.nairaland.com/3849627/honmusa-guru-when-it-comes
Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by shortiespro: 8:24am On Oct 03, 2017
Check if ur radiator is a one cell or 2 cell... mine heat up like dat each time the ac is on... my Mech advice to use double cell radiator .. and ever since then I don't experience over heating ... my temp is very low no matter the amount of sun / or drive distance ...
Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by Fogman(m): 8:25am On Oct 03, 2017
Thermostart is bad

3 Likes

Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by 3kay945(m): 8:35am On Oct 03, 2017
lonelydora:

Run away from Toyota cars. Una no dey hear word. Toyota is over rated.

Wetin make we come buy na?

What is the cost of new radiator now? I need to change mine too soon.
Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by BiafraAmaka(m): 8:43am On Oct 03, 2017
Is your radiator single cell?
If yes change it to double cell
Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by AmuDimpka: 8:48am On Oct 03, 2017
Then forget AC
Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by AmuDimpka: 8:48am On Oct 03, 2017
Hi and buy a Benz ...Japanese cars are cheap and not durable
3kay945:

Wetin make we come buy na?

What is the cost of new radiator now? I need to change mine too soon.

1 Like

Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by obicentlis: 8:49am On Oct 03, 2017
A friend had same issue last time, he changed the engine and it stopped. I think the engine might be weak or so.
Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by tchymoe: 8:51am On Oct 03, 2017
ask a good Japanese mechanic to remove ur car thermostat so the car can have a free flow of water....because of white man's cold Temperature were the car was manufactured , the thermostat regulates the flow of water, now the car is in Nigeria and you know the hot weather....so Bro, remove the thermostat and the car will be OK........... frm experience
Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by AniwetaluEmma(m): 8:52am On Oct 03, 2017
Check your Radiation if it is a single cell or double cell. If it is single, change it to double. If it is double, take it to mechanic to remove it and use wire to scrub inside very well. Fix it back. It works
Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by Mezurum01: 9:15am On Oct 03, 2017
That your radiator might be a single cell, get a double cell and fix then enjoy your car period. For further enquiries you can call me on ,08034962368. #amamechanic
Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by paradigmshift(m): 9:17am On Oct 03, 2017
lonelydora:

which one we go buy oga
Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by bankeeyz(m): 9:30am On Oct 03, 2017
there's nothing wrong with ur radiator, what u need to understand is dat a single fan can't work for the radiator and a/c cos of the condenser ,u'll need to get an extra fan for ur radiator as most cars use separate fan for both condenser and radiator,and also u'll need to get ur a/c system flushed, the compressor, vabrator,condenser and change ur dryer.
Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by Richmondoau(m): 9:33am On Oct 03, 2017
A single fan will heat with a/c on. Try and add one more fan but if the heat persist, then change the radiator to double cell. #my5h
Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by BumbleBee007: 9:39am On Oct 03, 2017
tempex88:
Gasket don dey spoil small small. Had same issue

If the temperature returns back to normal after the OP turns off the A.C. upon noticing the over heat, then chances are, the Top cylinder gasket is just fine!!!

OP, you should get yourself a 'BRAND NEW' (Not Tokunbor) Radiator and your problems are solved!!!

3 Likes

Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by BumbleBee007: 9:42am On Oct 03, 2017
lonelydora:

And what brand of car do you drive?

Oh! and by the way, the last time you travelled from One Town to another, what Brand of Bus did you travel in I bet it was a Toyota product

Yeah, Toyota's over rated!!!

2 Likes

Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by Ijscarface: 9:48am On Oct 03, 2017
Simply change your radiator to double cell add one more fan that is wired to come on once you switch on the AC

Our weather is hotter than theirs so do the necessary adjustment and enjoy your toyota
Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by TheBawse(m): 9:51am On Oct 03, 2017
Bro, u wld have to change that radiator to double cell. i had dat issue with a former car dat was single cell.it handled the problem.
i traded in my single cell radiator for a double cell and added some money to make up the difference.
best of luck
[/quote]
Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by anyicaleb(m): 9:51am On Oct 03, 2017
Hi guy, forget long epistle, just change your radiator from a single cell to a double cell, remove the thermostat (to allow free passage of water to cool your engine) cos you are driving in a hot temperate region Naija and not in Canada where the car came from. Do this and enjoy your ride and thank me latter. Experience is the best teacher.

2 Likes

Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by Ijscarface: 9:55am On Oct 03, 2017
masxyz:
Check the direction of your fan. You fan could be rotating, but blowing away from your radiator. It happened to my car.
Ask your friends who use the same model.

If the direction of the fan is wrong it will overheat without the AC being on

1 Like

Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by MabraO: 9:58am On Oct 03, 2017
Having same problem with my Nissan xtera 2005
Whenever d ac is on for about two to three hours it starts overheating. I have stopped using ac for that so it doesn’t overheat.
Fan changed 3years ago
Thermostat removed
Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by crisycent: 10:00am On Oct 03, 2017
I no be mechanic but try these tips:

1. Remove the thermostat in your engine

2. Change your fan to ignition start. Most fans don't work until the engine becomes very hot (thermostat stuff) or when the AC is on. Thermostat must go! Nigeria is too hot to have it in your engine.

3. Check your alternator. If your alternator is not charging your battery properly, additional load (like AC) will drain more power and that means less power to your fan.

4. If any of them work remember to DM me recharge card.
Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by AutoElectNG: 10:05am On Oct 03, 2017
Egji:
Hi everyone, I'm starting this thread to request help from the nairaland community in troubleshooting the issue I'm having with my car.

I drive a Toyota Corolla, it runs perfectly fine without the a/c on, but when I put on the a/c on a hot afternoon in traffic, the car starts overheating.

My radiator has a single fan, functioning for both the radiator and the condenser

I have visited a mechanic, who scanned the car. He replaced the a/c relay that controls a manual a/c compressor and the engine thermostat. But he left the fan running directly with the ignition because the compressor was not controlling the radiator fan when we put on the a/c.

I have flushed the radiator and steam washed the condenser. Then we refilled the cooling system with red abro anti rust coolant. And bleed the cooling system.

I tested the car in heavy traffic and it still overheats. Please what do I do now??

The key to resolution appears to be concentrated in the bolded parts of your query.

Wrong repair procedure, instead of running the fans directly, he is supposed to troubleshoot why the ECU cannot get a signal that the compressor is on and turn the fan on at the highest possible speed as well as cycle the compressor on and off according to the inbuilt logic based on parameters it receives from a variety of sensors.

If care is not taken, resolving the bolded, will address the problem.

Here is the scientific explanation.

When you turn on the a/c, you increase the load. When you increase the load, you increase the heat produced. That is why the act of turning on the a/c also turns on the fans to offset the extra heat produced.

Your ECU is unable to regulate the A/C compressor if I get that you called it manual because of such non-regulation.
Your ECU is unable to regulate the fans because of the direct connection.
Your tech has deviated from design parameters without making adequate bypasses to take care of the non-stock condition.

The ECU has algorithms for running the fans at a variety of speeds to address a wide variety of heat levels, but it needs inputs from a variety of sensors such as the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor, the fans, the compressor, etc to do that.

It no longer has access to input from the fan nor the a/c and is akin to a pilot flying with incomplete bearing determination parameters, would you love to be a passenger in such a flight?

Until you return to stock configuration or redesign the system to address the new operating parameters, this vehicle will continue to overheat.

A few questions for you.

1. Which model year of corolla?
2. Did this vehicle come with a/c factory fitted or is the a/c a retrofit?
3. Has the operation of the a/c always resulted in overheating or is this a recent happenstance?
4. Please clarify what you mean by the use of the expression "manual compressor"?
5. Is the compressor installed meant for this vehicle or a non-identical transplant?
6. Does the vehicle happen not overheat even if the a/c is on PROVIDED THAT you are in freeway traffic as opposed to stop and go traffic?

5 Likes

Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by gerrard82: 10:06am On Oct 03, 2017
Egji:
Hi everyone, I'm starting this thread to request help from the nairaland community in troubleshooting the issue I'm having with my car.

I drive a Toyota Corolla, it runs perfectly fine without the a/c on, but when I put on the a/c on a hot afternoon in traffic, the car starts overheating.

My radiator has a single fan, functioning for both the radiator and the condenser

I have visited a mechanic, who scanned the car. He replaced the a/c relay that controls a manual a/c compressor and the engine thermostat. But he left the fan running directly with the ignition because the compressor was not controlling the radiator fan when we put on the a/c.

I have flushed the radiator and steam washed the condenser. Then we refilled the cooling system with red abro anti rust coolant. And bleed the cooling system.

I tested the car in heavy traffic and it still overheats. Please what do I do now??
bros pls try and ON the A.c. leave it to work for a while if you now notice the temperature rising up open the burnnet immediately nd check the fan that is not working,which ever one that is not working is the source of your car overheating.

2 Likes

Re: My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! by Kenchukky(m): 10:09am On Oct 03, 2017
Check the direction of flow for your fan. Secondly change from single to double radiator and the problem is solved. thank me later.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Watch The World’s 1st Self-Driving Hydrogen Car Complete A Record 118-mile Trip / A Man Miraculously Survived A Ghastly Trailer Crush At Tincan Apapa / The Roadx Motorsports Launch Party In Lagos (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.