Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,458 members, 7,770,140 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:27 AM

Before We Get Too High On TSTV- Punch Newspaper - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Before We Get Too High On TSTV- Punch Newspaper (860 Views)

Picture Quality Of TSTV: Bein Sport HD Live On Tstv / Some Funny Reactions On TSTV (pictures/quotes) / TSTV Launches In Nigeria: Channels, Packages, Subscription & Decoder Prices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Before We Get Too High On TSTV- Punch Newspaper by HajimeSaito(m): 2:33pm On Oct 08, 2017
At first, it sounded like a badly-intentioned prank. I mean, how ingenious is a name like TSTV which sounds like a parody of DSTV? But there is indeed going to be another satellite television company providing direct to home services to Nigerians. TSTV (Telcom Satellite TV) was formally launched on Sunday, October 1, 2017, which was also Nigeria’s Independence Day. Not sure if there was any symbolism intended; you know, like TSTV liberating Nigerian TV viewers? But who is TSTV anyway? In their own words on their website, this is how they describe themselves, “TSTV Africa is a wholly-owned Nigerian innovative pay TV operator.”

As far as arrivals go, TSTV surely arrived in a blaze of glory. Among other things, this wholly -Nigerian company has snagged a three-year tax-free package from the Federal Government as announced by the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed at the launch. In return, TSTV is promising, “refined offerings of novel Pay As You View Subscription, Pause Subscription, Complimentary Internet service, video call and an array of amazing TV channels with premium entertainment, informative and educative programmes that cut across all genres.”

Now, as far as expectations go, they are high right at this moment. Not that many people need much convincing to be excited at the arrival of ‘cheap’ (if that’s your thing) or ‘affordable’ or ‘flexible’ satellite TV. Even me, at this point in my household, I could do with a much cheaper subscription. I certainly am paying for more than I need. At the very least, give me something more flexible. Really, almost everyone fits into (or can appreciate) any of these categories. If not directly for themselves, for family members perhaps.

So we can get it out of the way that TSTV does sound very attractive. But before we get too high on expectations, there are a few things we need to unpack. First, let’s look at the marketing of TSTV as this ‘wholly Nigerian’ deliverer Superman company. We’ve been down that road before. The defunct HITV was promoted as being wholly Nigerian. Not only that, it was touted as the redeemer, giant killer. One prominent business newspaper did a front page story on how HITV was coming in to set broadcasting standards. Before it had even existed for a few months! Technically, no matter how promising a business venture looks, especially one in which someone else has a considerable head start, doesn’t it make sense to operate for a while before making gargantuan claims?

In any case at least, HITV now represents a free case study of what can go wrong; there is a lot to pick from. The ill-advised decision to acquire the rights to EPL for starters. For a teeny second, it looked like HITV was somehow going to pull off besting DSTV, their arch Goliath. But its offering by way of content was really thin. The technical and visual output was below what already existed. And yet, this was the company that was going to set new (high) standards for others to follow?

I did try to draw people’s attention to these contradictions but I was accused of supporting foreign-make that South African company-to the detriment of a Nigerian company. Meanwhile, for all intents and purposes, HITV was no NITEL. This was a private business concern. And I was a paying customer. I wasn’t getting it any cheaper because I am a Nigerian. And in the end, I and many others were left holding our antiquated decoders. President Obasanjo and then Information minister, Frank Nweke didn’t come to anyone’s aid.

Now, another minister of information, who just happens to prefer Senegalese jollof rice is whipping up ‘wholly Nigerian’ sentiments. As if all our problems are caused by non-Nigerians. On one hand, we say we want to attract foreign businesses to Nigeria but on the other hand, when it suits us, we get into this mob/herd frenzy. What’s wholly Nigerian anyway? TSTV is partnering with ABS which is very laudable. But ABS is not Nigerian; not even African. How many of TSTV’s equipment which I am sure are land breaking are made/assembled in Nigeria? If I appear to have taken a special issue with ‘wholly Nigerian,’ do bear with me. You see, it’s only just some days after my family and I barely escaped being deported back to Abia State because we are Igbos. And we are all wholly Nigerians.

Nonetheless TSTV can be marketed on the premise of quality. Not just by words but through action. So why not let your services speak? Speaking of which, I have been going on the TSTV website, and surprisingly, many sections are still being updated. When you click on say ‘Fix A Problem’, TV Guide’’, ‘Contact US,’ the drop downs return empty.

And let’s get my points straight; I’m not against TSTV, or its arrival on the scene. In fact, I welcome TSTV. I welcome the competition. I want to spend as little as possible for the most content which I believe most viewers want. But we must know exactly what we are getting into. So that viewers are not left, again, holding failed decoders. That’ll be the real ‘tearsTV.’
Re: Before We Get Too High On TSTV- Punch Newspaper by Nobody: 2:38pm On Oct 08, 2017
Re: Before We Get Too High On TSTV- Punch Newspaper by will2lead(m): 2:59pm On Oct 08, 2017
Are u done?? Oya where/how can I get the TSTV decoder na?

1 Like

Re: Before We Get Too High On TSTV- Punch Newspaper by BreezyCB(m): 3:05pm On Oct 08, 2017
Ok
Re: Before We Get Too High On TSTV- Punch Newspaper by cornelin(m): 3:26pm On Oct 08, 2017
wat ya say?
Re: Before We Get Too High On TSTV- Punch Newspaper by jaytee01(m): 4:15pm On Oct 08, 2017
Are you working for DSTV?
Re: Before We Get Too High On TSTV- Punch Newspaper by Fididiguy(m): 5:20pm On Oct 08, 2017
Negative opinion tho, I have vowed to be positive this year irrespective.
Re: Before We Get Too High On TSTV- Punch Newspaper by Galacious1: 11:43pm On Oct 08, 2017
This tori too long

(1) (Reply)

The Propagation Of Gay Relationships By Cartoon Network / Where Is TSTV? We Need To Watch Bbnaija / Watch The Best African Movies Here>>>

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.