Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,103 members, 7,818,297 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode (27909 Views)

Chanting Edo is not Lagos can't win you election / Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes / So Anambra And Imo Can Do It But Lagos Can't Do It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by Nobody: 8:23pm On Oct 11, 2017
aribisala0:
You are the ignorant one but you think you know it all. Please stop talking nonsense. What has VAT got to do with imports?

What is the meaning of initiate and terminate. VAT is the same as Sales or Consumption Tax that means it is paid by the final consumer.
The person who sleeps in the Hotel room,the person who drinks 1000 Naira tea ,the person who watches a movie at silverbird and so on.

Not everything is subject to VAT. There must be Value Added and there is comprehensive guidance. It has NOTHING to do with imported goods which are levied import duties and so on.

VAT is Tax paid mainly by LAGOS RESIDENTS.
In the states they call it Sales Tax and it is not levied by the Federal Government
I know that in progressive federations consumption tax is collected by the states or federating units but here most things are tilted towards backwardness.
Imagine that a some states would ban the sale of Alchohol but would take the lion share from alcohol tax. Let us be fair for once!
Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by erico2k2(m): 8:28pm On Oct 11, 2017
takenadoh:

Yes they are, why are goods meant for Onitsha shipped through Lagos not Port Harcourt or other ports closer.

Anyway I don't have time to argue, when u check the cost of shipping and handling to these places u'll understand
No not at all, as we speak, my next shipment is to Onitsha Port, for quick clearance, the port at One Rivers state takes a bit longer!
Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by aribisala0(m): 8:29pm On Oct 11, 2017
happybrother:

I know that in progressive federations consumption tax is collected by the states or federating units but here most things are tilted towards backwardness.
Imagine that a some states would ban the sale of Alchohol but would take the lion share from alcohol tax. Let us be fair for once!
Consumption or sales tax policy cannot be separated from VAT policy. There are very many factors to consider. e.g external competitiveness. But I would not advocate a system where VAT policy allows for internal tax competition which to me would be a form of cannibalism..
I think an element of derivation should apply to its sharing though.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by erico2k2(m): 8:32pm On Oct 11, 2017
aribisala0:
Let us test your brain even fjurther Efe Uses his phone to communicate with EVans the Kidnapper who gets his ransom in Lagos? Where was the VAT generated. You keep arguing about how VAT is multilayer multilevel and then you want to localize it to one point .Reality is you do not have the brain power to carry through that argument

VAT is chargeable on CLEAR VALUE ADDITION activities and there is absolutely no limit to the number of times. When you load a truck of beans it is VATable. You Unload in in another state VAtable. Now the Vat would depend on the Salaries of the loaders and overall cost of loading. Lagos would be higher.
The restaurant owner buys the beans and cooks it it is VAtable.

The customer shitts the beans into his soakaway till it is full and calls the Vacuum truck to suck it out again Vatable so your idea of localizing where VAT is generated is really quite foolish .I am not saying you are but sometimes we all say foolish things because of one reason or another
Was that not what I was trying to say when you claimed VAT and Sales tax are same? can you charge sales tax twice on same goods?Now you are back to eat your own vomit,Anyway, Im off to the property and Auto Sections More senses there I guess.
Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by aribisala0(m): 8:37pm On Oct 11, 2017
erico2k2:

Was that not waht I was trying to say when you claimed VAT and Sales tax are same? can you charge sales tax twice on same goods?Now you are back to eat your own vomit,Anyway, Im off to the property and Auto Sections More senses there I guess.
You are contradicting yourself..
Empty vessel
Tell us why Abuja is generating 20% of VAT .

My business moghul grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by takenadoh: 8:37pm On Oct 11, 2017
erico2k2:

No not at all, as we speak, my next shipment is to Onitsha Port, for quick clearance, the port at One Rivers state takes a bit longer!

Onitsha Port they are talking about dredging this and that and inland water way , concession agreement?
Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by erico2k2(m): 8:42pm On Oct 11, 2017
takenadoh:

Onitsha Port they are talking about dredging this and that and inland water way , concession agreement?
I have used it B4, two years ago, but I used One March this year, I think the Onitsha is faster
Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by erico2k2(m): 8:44pm On Oct 11, 2017
aribisala0:
You are contradicting yourself..
Empty vessel
Tell us why Abuja is generating 20% of VAT .

My business moghul grin
you and your lineage are Full of Empty vesels

Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by Nobody: 8:45pm On Oct 11, 2017
TheKingIsHere:
Lol, when nigerdeltans were complaining that the money being generated from our lands are being shared to other states while they give us a mere 13% back, some clowns were shouting one Nigeria or the resources belonged to everyone.

Ogbeni Ambode, according to your brothers, the VAT money belongs to every state.

Kiss the truth tongue tongue tongue

grin
Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by Nobody: 8:46pm On Oct 11, 2017
FTrebirth:
ambode is smarter than i had imagined him.

i just wish he could present this issue to the house and let the negotiations begin. though, i expect the northern caliphate to tremble.

useless parasites!

It's awa VAT sir, all states must get their share...grin
Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by eebraa(m): 8:46pm On Oct 11, 2017
Pls what is VAT? And who carries the burden of VAT?
Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by Nobody: 8:48pm On Oct 11, 2017
Biety:
A verry good one from Ambode.

50% is too much.
somebody who is not supporting you in your strugles cannot be sharing your profits equally with you and expect you to keep quiet.

You reject special status for lagos but want to continue sharing equally what is being generated from there. Its unfair.

This fight should not end on the pages of Newspaper. It's a legit fight that should be fought till there is changes.

No Sire.

Every state must share in the VAT.
Or else FG would have to reopen Onne, Warri n Calabar seaports n Onitsha river port and also build a river port along river niger states like Kogi n benue.
Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by Nobody: 8:49pm On Oct 11, 2017
EzeEbira:
Seconded grin Nigeria's unity is not negotiable

Thirded Sir grin.
Pls what is EzeEbira?
Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by Nobody: 8:49pm On Oct 11, 2017
Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by confiritch(m): 8:52pm On Oct 11, 2017
The argument whether Value Added Tax (VAT) and Sales Tax mean the same thing need to be put to rest by reference to their historical background. Before 1st January, 1994 Sales Tax which is also known as Single State Tax was levied on some goods and services in Nigeria and covers only nine (9) categories of goods. The tax base was narrow and negates the fundamental principle of consumption tax which is expected to cut across all consumable goods and services. It is collected by State Government. On the 1st of January, 1994 the Federal Government of Nigeria replaced the Sales Tax with VAT which is also known as Multiple Stage Tax. It has a broader base and applies to the difference between total value of input and total value of output produced at each level of production to the final stage. Due to the difficulty in determining the actual value added, the difference between purchase price and sales price for each stage of production is adopted as the tax base. It is collectible by Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) and the Government realised N8 billion in 1994. The tax rate is 5% in line with VAT (Amendment) Act, 2007. Time will not permit me to discuss Registration, Penalties, Exemption with relevant dates, Calculation and currency of remittance, Tax invoice particulars, Tax Appeal Tribunal and the Role of the Federal High Court. Meanwhile, the distribution of proceeds of VAT is 15%, 50% & 35% to FG, States (including FCT) and Local Governments respectively.
Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by erico2k2(m): 8:55pm On Oct 11, 2017
PrecisionFx:

No Sire.

Every state must share in the VAT.
Or else FG would have to reopen Onne, Warri n Calabar seaports n Onitsha river port and also build a river port along river niger states like Kogi n benue.
Bross FG did not close Onne or Onitsha seaport, the only reason you do not know about them is cos you do not have any Biz there, the One and Onitsha ports are functioning,we do not have vessels carrying cars there atm thats the only let down.But soon Im very sure RO RO will soon land Onitsha and One ports and that will be bye bye to Lagos.As things stand people in the EU and US who live in teh SS and SE now fly straight to PHC no need going to Lagos.
Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by erico2k2(m): 9:00pm On Oct 11, 2017
confiritch:
The argument whether Value Added Tax (VAT) and Sales Tax mean the same thing need to be put to rest by reference to their historical background. Before 1st January, 1994 Sales Tax which is also known as Single State Tax was levied on some goods and services in Nigeria and covers only nine (9) categories of goods. The tax base was narrow and negates the fundamental principle of consumption tax which is expected to cut across all consumable goods and services. It is collected by State Government. On the 1st of January, 1994 the Federal Government of Nigeria replaced the Sales Tax with VAT which is also known as Multiple Stage Tax. It has a broader base and applies to the difference between total value of input and total value of output produced at each level of production to the final stage. Due to the difficulty in determining the actual value added, the difference between purchase price and sales price for each stage of production is adopted as the tax base. It is collectible by Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) and the Government realised N8 billion in 1994. The tax rate is 5% in line with VAT (Amendment) Act, 2007. Time will not permit me to discuss Registration, Penalties, Exemption with relevant dates, Calculation and currency of remittance, Tax invoice particulars, Tax Appeal Tribunal and the Role of the Federal High Court. Meanwhile, the distribution of proceeds of VAT is 15%, 50% & 35% to FG, States (including FCT) and Local Governments respectively.
Thank U very much ,now thats an enlightened Soul, just wait, they are coming, they will still tell you sales tax is same as VAT even when you have spelt it like ABC with references and dates!
Now by ur above statement as per what VAT is would it not be safe to say the Lagos state governor was talking BS?
Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by Nobody: 9:02pm On Oct 11, 2017
erico2k2:

Bross FG did not close Onne or Onitsha seaport, the only reason you do not know about them is cos you do not have any Biz there, the One and Onitsha ports are functioning,we do not have vessels carrying cars there atm thats the only let down.But soon Im very sure RO RO will soon land Onitsha and One ports and that will be bye bye to Lagos.As things stand people in the EU and US who live in teh SS and SE now fly straight to PHC no need going to Lagos.

The flights are going straight to enugu international airport, not porthacourt.

meanwhile onitsha river Port is dead.

onne port has been converted to a naval base by OBJ.

Warri n Calabar ports were all closed by FG as well.

""we do not have vessels carrying cars there atm thats the only let down""

pls don't say this again.
Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by sshalom(m): 9:04pm On Oct 11, 2017
Matters gradually getting to a head!
Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by erico2k2(m): 9:07pm On Oct 11, 2017
PrecisionFx:

The flights are going straight to enugu international airport, not porthacourt.

meanwhile onitsha river Port is dead.

onne port has been converted to a naval base by OBJ.

Warri n Calabar ports were all closed by FG as well.

""we do not have vessels carrying cars there atm thats the only let down""

pls don't say this again.
Why are you doing this to yourself, I fly to PHC every year since 2011,go on line and Book flight from London to PHC, use Lufthansa, KLM or Air France, see what you get.Non of these flight go to Enugu, there is no route there.
I shipped a container to One port March this year, so waht are you saying, IM scheduled to do a shipment to Onitsha port as we speak,Speak of waht you know Bro no need for assumption

Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by manmidtexy(m): 9:14pm On Oct 11, 2017
If God allow it. Tinubu will shock an disappoint most prostitute politicians by 2019 if the owner of life does not take it.
Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by Nobody: 9:51pm On Oct 11, 2017
erico2k2:

Why are you doing this to yourself, I fly to PHC every year since 2011,go on line and Book flight from London to PHC, use Lufthansa, KLM or Air France, see what you get.Non of these flight go to Enugu, there is no route there.
I shipped a container to One port March this year, so waht are you saying, IM scheduled to do a shipment to Onitsha port as we speak,Speak of waht you know Bro no need for assumption

Are u Bipolar
Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by erico2k2(m): 10:02pm On Oct 11, 2017
PrecisionFx:

Are u Bipolar
nah i think you are, and also suffering from Multiple personality disorder>

Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by Nobody: 10:23pm On Oct 11, 2017
erico2k2:

nah i think you are, and also suffering from Multiple personality disorder>

grin
Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by okenta2017: 12:48am On Oct 12, 2017
SalamRushdie:
It's embarrassing that till date no single govt official knows what VAT is ..VAT is nothing but a Tax borne by the last consumer of a product or service , the fact more VAT initiated in Lagos state because it's the gateway of our import Based economy doesn't mean the Tax burden is terminated in Lagos state as it can only be terminated at the point of the last consumer which can be anywhere from Lagos to Zamfara depending on how far goods imported through Lagos go ..Yes Lagos state will initiate most VATS but doesn't terminate most of it ..

You don't understand what is vat
Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by SalamRushdie: 12:55am On Oct 12, 2017
okenta2017:

You don't understand what is vat

There is nobody that understand VAT more than me in this world ..please I don't discuss with shallow people , I have already addressed VAT properly on this thread so look for my comments and learn
Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by aribisala0(m): 3:32am On Oct 12, 2017
Sorry but that initiate and terminate stuff is nonsense really

1 Like

Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by aribisala0(m): 3:44am On Oct 12, 2017
confiritch:

What is the relevance of this thesis. The argument is an artificial one and a needless distraction if people understand simple English. Everything I said about sales tax had to do with comparatives to jurisdictions outside Nigeria where VAT does NOT exist.It relevance lies in applications to international trade treaties and WTO.
I am more interested in its effect rather than nomenclature

Once again Sales tax in effect whereever you find it is a VAT . All cats are animals but all animals are not cats
Yes there is more to VAT than Sales or consumption tax but sales tax is a VAT.

It is typical of the undergraduate mindset to fixate on definitions rather than to think and manipulate ideas.

Anyhow it remains an unnecessary distraction as it does not materially affect the real substance of this thread and only has egotistic value
almost everything you say is true but changes nothing

Hear yourself self on broader base:

Yes the definition of Animal has a broader base than cat.Does that mean Cat is not an animal?
It is only if I say all animals are cats that there is an issue

AT NO POINT DID I SAY SALES TAX AND VAT MEAN THE SAME THING>NEVER
Vat is the same as sales tax is quite different from Vat means the same as sales tax. The former is contextual and relative while the latter is absolute
I could say a cat is an animal does not mean cat and animal mean the same thing people need to develop comprehension

1 Like

Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by deomelo: 3:46am On Oct 12, 2017
SalamRushdie:
It's embarrassing that till date no single govt official knows what VAT is ..VAT is nothing but a Tax borne by the last consumer of a product or service , the fact more VAT initiated in Lagos state because it's the gateway of our import Based economy doesn't mean the Tax burden is terminated in Lagos state as it can only be terminated at the point of the last consumer which can be anywhere from Lagos to Zamfara depending on how far goods imported through Lagos go ..Yes Lagos state will initiate most VATS but doesn't terminate most of it ..

The man was talking about generated VAT on goods and services consumed in Lagos and not on VAT generated off goods and services consumed outside his state.

What is embarrassing is you and your kind displaying gross ignorance and inability to read and comprehend simple and elementary English words.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by Splashme: 7:03am On Oct 12, 2017
KardinalZik:
Restructuring is the only answer!
Let every State generate what they want to spend: let each State be independent from the others and the Central; let every State be autonomous.

LET THE PARASITIC STATES BE REVEALED CLEARLY!
Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by SalamRushdie: 7:27am On Oct 12, 2017
deomelo:

The man was talking about generated VAT on goods and services consumed in Lagos and not on VAT generated off goods and services consumed outside his state.

What is embarrassing is you and your kind displaying gross ignorance and inability to read and comprehend simple and elementary English words.

You are the one who doesn't understand anything , go through my comment on this thread where I gave an example using a generator I supplied out side Lagos ...The point I am making is that this claims of making more VAT is shallow , null and void and can't be a case for any form of special derivation for Lagos state ..
Re: Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode by aribisala0(m): 8:31am On Oct 12, 2017
Once again your submission is ignorant.
Your Generator example is absurd.To pay VAT a company must register at AN ADDRESS. It is as simple as that .
To the best of my knowledge Generators are not manufactured in Lagos.
If a generator is imported through Lagos and sold elsewhere the VAT location is based on the registered address of the selling company. if the importer is in Onitsha he does not pay VAT but the buyer in Onitsha does and if the seller is registered for VAT in Onitsha the VAt is attributed to Onitsha
If the company is not registered in Lagos then VAT is not attributed to Lagos. You do not pay VAT for importing goods. If the goods are VATable that is chaarged at point of sale

There are however many parts of that generator transaction that could attract VAT in Lagos e.g handling loading insurance etc again i depends on where the company is registered.

Again when the Generator reaches its destination. Unloading,installation and servicing are all VATable. THERE!!
The truth is most VAT paying companies are in Lagos

For someone who claims to know more about VAT than anyone in the world your ideas are very strange.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Smart Adeyemi Sworn In As Senator By Senate Clerk / Orji Uzor Kalu And Andy Uba Dancing To Phyno's Highway Song (Video) / Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.