Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,227 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:02 AM

U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery (4846 Views)

Visa Lottery Winner, Other Arrested Over Scam Marriage / Dv 2012 Result Is Out ! / Final Interview For 2008 Dv Visa Lottery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by seeni4ever(m): 2:14am On Dec 21, 2005
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by sage(m): 3:45am On Dec 21, 2005
i think they are confusing two things. The bill did not abolish DV lottery. Check the BBC website for the full content of that bill. They suspended enacting the guest worker program, not abolish DV. I think the two are different.
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by seeni4ever(m): 4:46pm On Dec 21, 2005
read the full news, they abolished dv too. i also saw it in the news after i read it on internet. they are all five bills altogether
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by ijebuman(m): 8:28pm On Dec 21, 2005
The House also voted 273-148 to end the diversity visa lottery program that's open to countries that send few immigrations to the United States.

Opponents said it was susceptible to fraud and could be a way for terrorists to enter the country.

read the rest of the story http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/12/16/border.security.ap/index.html
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by CimonJorr(m): 1:52am On Dec 22, 2005
PARANOIA of the highest level..

The next thing you'll be hearing is that they'll soon be preventing birds from flying in the skies because they'll be used by terrorists.. grin

Not to subtract from the terrorist issues all over the world, but their own don too much...

Anyways, who creates the rules, dictates the game.. tongue
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by ijebuman(m): 1:22pm On Dec 22, 2005
CimonJorr:

PARANOIA of the highest level..

The next thing you'll be hearing is that they'll soon be preventing birds from flying in the skies because they'll be used by terrorists.. grin

Not to subtract from the terrorist issues all over the world, but their own don too much...

Anyways, who creates the rules, dictates the game.. tongue

Its a shame, the US is no longer the 'Land of the Free', Visiting the states these days is like going to a prison. They take your fingerprints, personal information and picture, then they practically strip search you at customs. On my last trip they actually cut the lock off the suitcase i checked in.

Paranoid behaviour like this will not make the US any safer, changing their unjust policies towards other countries is the only way they can be secure.
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by theORAKU(m): 11:55am On Dec 23, 2005
the US dey mumu dem self.

the VISA Lottery thing pays dem more than the lucky winners. Free Talent importing from countries all over the world.

if they stop, na dia own gbab dem b dat.
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by Seun(m): 4:56pm On Dec 23, 2005
Really, they have more talent than they need already. A Visa lottery is not a way to get the most talented people.
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by Kokscity(m): 8:03pm On Dec 23, 2005
Seeni4Ever

Living in Greenbelt and that close to the White House and Congress, i am sure you know that when something passes the house,does not mean it is law yet. Make your audience better informed about the issue. The bill is part of a comprehensive Immigration Reform bill and might not even pass because of the hot button issue Republicans have in the Bill. Plus the are on a collision course with the White House because of the guest worker program and Bush might have an opportunity to Veto something for the first time.

Ijebuman

There is no other country on the face of the earth that is as free as this one.You are right they have improved their process for admitting people here. But i find it to be quicker and safer for citizens or residents. It is not a police state, u can still go to the white house and call Georgy Boy an Asshole and protest for years in front of the secret service etc. Anytime,anywhere you can move from California to Maine even to Toronto and do the speed limit or 10mph faster and not see one cop. U can go into a gun shop and buy a gun at least once a month. If u want to have sex with three women @ a time it is your business. The government is a government of laws and even the President has to abide by them. I am sorry you had a bad experience, but after 9/11 they had to respond.

Yankee= God's Own Country
Land of the Free
Home of the Brave
Only the strong shall survive
Live Free or Die
Strictly for Ballers
SEMPER FI
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by ijebuman(m): 8:58pm On Dec 23, 2005
Kokscity:

There is no other country on the face of the earth that is as free as this one.
oh really, and this is based on what indexes
http://www.strike-the-root.com/4/hambidge/hambidge2.html

Kokscity:

You are right they have improved their process for admitting people here. But i find it to be quicker and safer for citizens or residents. It is not a police state.
http://www.blackcommentator.com/135/135_fr_fascism.html

Kokscity:

U can go into a gun shop and buy a gun at least once a month.
i guess that explains why people go Postal regularly in the states smiley
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by Kokscity(m): 9:11pm On Dec 23, 2005
Ijebuman

Trust me bro more people would be better served armed for self defense. Of course they are some Lunatics out there but i can go into any neighborhood in this country and if my life is threatened i can defend myself thanks to the 2nd amendment. I am sure if you had the stats on people being killed by armed robbers on Nigerian highways you might just be surprised at those numbers. People's rights are violated by the cops in that country simply because they are armed. Infact i can argue that the man with the gun in Naija rules. An illiterate, untrained officer with a gun is God in Naija.

Ha! U are quoting a wingnut website, i live in this reality... There is simply no place better my broda.......Besides Freedom is not free, people have to die for it to be earned. Please forget it, the has been no terrorist strike in this country since 9/11 and that is a direct result of things like the "Patriot Act", and the "US VISIT" Programs.

Let Freedom Reign!
SEMPER FI
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by ijebuman(m): 9:25pm On Dec 23, 2005
Kokscity:

Ha! U are quoting a wingnut website, i live in this reality... There is simply no place better my brother.Besides Freedom is not free, people have to die for it to be earned. Please forget it, the has been no terrorist strike in this country since 9/11 and that is a direct result of things like the "Patriot Act", and the "US VISIT" Programs.
I have travelled around the US and it is truly a remarkable place, however its not the best place on earth and it does have its own problems like the Katrina situation in New Orleans has shown.

Kokscity:

Besides Freedom is not free, people have to die for it to be earned.
but it seems to be the poor and underclass that die for that freedom in places like Iraq and Afghanistan; Have you seen fahrenheit 9/11 (you may not like Micheal Moore but no one has disputed the facts he raised in that film)
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by Kokscity(m): 9:56pm On Dec 23, 2005
Ijebuman

U have travelled around the US and you call a natural disaster like Katrina that clearly affected everyone and Michael Moores propaganda so called documentary as places to point for America's problems? Come on Dog this country has spent over $5Trillion on Poverty and clearly it is not enough, but per capita income is about $22k. But all the Marines and soldiers that fight as the best Trained and best equipped in the world. It cost over a Million dollars to get one combat pilot trained. Which other country invest in their people like that. All those poor people that join the army, marines,navy,army reserves,airforce,us coast guard" VOLUNTEER" and are paid reasonably well and have great benefits and give them free education ETC and all of them know the risk of combat and still want to do it. Willing to die for what u believe in is a Natural Human right ask MLK, ask Mandela, ask JFK, ask Rosa Parks................And On.

I have seen the soul of this Nation and people here have flaws and the society has issues, but there is simply no place on God's good Earth that compares to this Joint right here for real. Racism exist, trust me i see it every day but there are still servitude servants in Naija, racism and xenophobia in the UK, Nigeria and Cameron killing each other in Bakassi, Igbo Killed a Hundred Hausas in Aba recently, Race riots in France, Race Riots in Australia, Japanese are racist toward the Chinese, North and south Korea do not see eye to eye, Tutsi and Houto's killed One million of their fellow man and of course the Germans and the Jews had and still have Issues.

America has Issues and even with those Issues and the most diverse place on earth, this is still the best place "BARNONE" Place to live.......

One World One Dream
I had a dream and i made it Happen.
Bleeding Red,white and Blue...
SEMPER FI
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by Kokscity(m): 9:57pm On Dec 23, 2005
Ijebuman

From ur Travels, where is the best place in the world and reason why?

One Vote here for Old Glory
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by ijebuman(m): 10:23pm On Dec 23, 2005
Kokscity:

Ijebuman

From your Travels, where is the best place in the world and reason why?

I think the best place in the world is wherever you want it to be, there isn't one place i can choose, it will have to be a combination of places.

Please understand i'm not criticising the US as a whole, its George Bush and co that i have issues with.
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by Kokscity(m): 10:36pm On Dec 23, 2005
Ijebuman

I am a die Hard Democrat, i campaigned for Kerry in WV even if i must admit he was a lousy candidate,i donate monthly to Rahm Emmanuel and the DCCC because we need to take back the house in 06. But George Bush is not going to make me knock this land. Even with Bush it is still the best place to Live in. I do not like some laws and executive orders he has signed, but in 04 53% said they wanted him back in office and i have to live with that. If you say that Bush is bad then we are on the same page...But Bush does not affect my life like my county Government chairman and if you Know Yankee well, u will know well that "all Politics is Local". I still would like to know the country in your own mind that is the best place for someone to live in.

Freedom is not Free.
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by ijebuman(m): 10:59pm On Dec 23, 2005
Kokscity:

I still would like to know the country in your own mind that is the best place for someone to live in.

I can't choose for other people as what i want or value in life is different from what others want, i suppose if money is your main motivation then the US is probably the best place to be, personally I find the UK more suited to my way of life at the moment.
That may change as i get older and i may find that i want to move back to Africa (not necessarily Nigeria, could be Botswana, SA, The Gambia or Ghana)
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by Kokscity(m): 7:31am On Dec 24, 2005
Ijebuman

I appreciate you being Candid, if i had to move back rtight now i would go to SA or Kenya or even Zambia.

For Real
Better standard of living for less doe and less stress
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by princeonx: 5:19am On Dec 25, 2005
(LAND OF THE FREE) I realy don't know what people think this word mean! but all the same to those that believe or think it means you can do anything or whatever you like/want in America, SORRY you got it all wrong! you are thousands of miles away from the meaning! infact you're more free in NIgerian than here! As for Ijebuman, sorry about your briefcase lock its for our own safety! I'll rather be here than Nigerian where to man with the gun or money tells you when you're free or not!
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by ijebuman(m): 2:27pm On Dec 26, 2005
prince_onx:

As for Ijebuman, sorry about your briefcase lock its for our own safety! <snip>
As regards to that incident just stumbled on this piece of information

Padlocks on luggage passing through US airports:
In autumn 2004 the US Transportation Security Administration [TSA] announced that all luggage travelling thru/from/to US airports, whatever the airline, must be either unlocked or locked with approved padlocks. See the TSA website [above] for lock listings.
In Britain, Outdoor Accessories, Travelwithcare and Nomad Travel Stores all stock approved locks.
If you use other locks baggage screeners may break the locks and will not accept responsibility for the damage.
Do not pack valuables in your bags!

source: http://www.bugbog.com/travel_safety/travel_safety.html
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by Advin(m): 10:49pm On Jan 02, 2006
They better not do anything funny ooo. I am planning to meet hot-angel through that lottery ooooooo smiley
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by Hotstepper(f): 5:25am On Jan 16, 2006
"America has Issues and even with those Issues and the most diverse place on earth, this is still the best place "BARNONE" Place to live......." If i may correct u Kokscity, Canada is a most diversed country in da world with Toronto being da most diversed city in da world and dunno why ppl living in da states alwayz put america number in everythinggggggggg..u'all should just say america as a whole but not americaaaa kiss
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by Kokscity(m): 2:31pm On Jan 16, 2006
Hotstepper

I was in Toronto two weeks ago, it is pretty diverse u are right. It is big as hell though!
CN Towers and Downtown was nice places to visit. Went Essence nightclub for New Years Eve's Jump Off.
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by Hotstepper(f): 2:42pm On Jan 16, 2006
u went 2 da right places@Kokscity.....glad u have great impression about canada...I actually have a friend who visited 4rom Detriot and Friday and she will be going back 2day.....4nny enough, he wants 2 live in Toronto now which is wat I hear 4rom ma friendz dat has visited and yeahhhhh...TDOT is biggggggggg........come back again..u r alwayz welcome
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by Kokscity(m): 2:50pm On Jan 16, 2006
Hotstepper

The only problem was Gas Prices and all those damn sale Taxes!!! Everything else was Hot!
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by slimes(m): 2:01pm On Nov 24, 2009
I didn't anything regarding the visa lottery from the source.
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by phuckNL: 5:28pm On Nov 24, 2009
^^^^^^^^^^^^

I suppose you can't differentiate between 2005 and 2009 abi?
Y resurrect such an oooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllddddddddddd thread? angry
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by snokky(m): 5:36pm On Nov 24, 2009
phuck_NL:

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I suppose you can't differentiate between 2005 and 2009 abi?
Y resurrect such an oooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllddddddddddd thread? angry

He is showing us his memory can be very nice!!

A baby that was born then was already in nursery 2!! Why bringing that up man?
Re: U.S. House passes Bill abolishing DV Visa Lottery by throwaway: 5:11am On Feb 27, 2021
sage:
i think they are confusing two things. The bill did not abolish DV lottery. Check the BBC website for the full content of that bill. They suspended enacting the guest worker program, not abolish DV. I think the two are different.

(1) (Reply)

Living And Working In Japan - Always In My Wish List / Sydney, Australia (skyline!) / NIGERIANS SHOULD BE CAREFUL GOING TO TURKISH REPUBLIC OF NORTH CYPRUS. (THREAD)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.