Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,585 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:30 PM

Atheism. Define Please! - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism. Define Please! (3448 Views)

Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? / Atheism By Definition Is Problematic / I Think I Am Threading The Path Of Atheism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheism. Define Please! by budaatum: 4:04pm On Oct 14, 2017
I doubt you would give the words of Adeboye the same weight you'd give a member of his congregation if they differ when it comes to the nature of God. So why try to give equal weight to Hawkins and Dawkins, people you yourself present as the gurus of atheism and who don't make claim for the existence of elves and fairies etc, with random people on the web, and then claim their opinion defines atheism?

My response is below.

budaatum:

There is no argument that many people believe in whatever they like and are called atheist or call themselves atheist or believe they are atheists. The definition of atheist is the issue here. As in what is an atheist.

If I call myself god, I am deifying myself. Say, buda, you are mad, please, atheist or not.

If I claim there is a creator of the universe, but there is no god, intelligent people would snigger. Any argument on the issue would be about definitions, same as what Allah people have with Yahweh. They would not be claiming there is no god, but which god is the real god. The same difference is that between those who claim 'aliens are the creator' and 'Yahweh is the creator'. The atheist is claiming not only that Yahweh and the alien creator are not gods, but that they don't exist regardless of whether you call them gods or not.

An 'atheist' who acknowledges the existence of a creator but just doesn't believe it, hasn't quite figured out their belief yet. That's like believing the million pounds in my pocket is not there. If they claim it too strongly, I'm sure we wouldn't mind taking the million pounds off them. They refused to acknowledge they had it. They wouldn't miss it.

Claiming the atheist acknowledges the existence of a creator but just doesn't believe it, is probably worse. They have a million pounds. We claim they haven't, regardless of what they make may think. Then we take it off them! I have found this akin to setting up of a straw man just so we may mug them. What follows such statements proves my point:

Atheism Unwise And Potentially Dangerous

Atheism And Terrorism; Annihilation in The Quest For Atheistic Domination

Atheist Murderers(past/present) And The Murderous Tendencies Of Todays Atheists.

Some things have been deified. The atheist is claiming those deified things (the stone, the wind, Jesus Christ, the holy spirit, gods) are not deities, and some of them (angels, devils, fairies, the holy spirit, gods) do not even exist. The atheist does not accept the deification of things, nor the existence of deities or fairies, or ghosts, extra terrestrials, spirits, elves, angels, etc. If they do claim to be atheists, and claim these things exist, please subject them to the same arguments they use to disprove the existence of god, and ask them why it does not disprove the existence of fairies etc.

It like when we ask those who claim everything is created, and by a creator, what created god! We hold them in contempt for their acrobatic dishonesty!
Re: Atheism. Define Please! by akintom(m): 4:28pm On Oct 14, 2017
https://www.nairaland.com/3967568/atheism-dummies

It's grand error, to think that there exist, an entity called atheist.
An Atheist, is a debater, a conversationist, and a "discussionist".

Beyond what he/she says, after participation in the subject matter of "claims of existence of Gods", an atheist ceases to exist.

As long as the subject matter isn't CLAIMS of existence of Gods, atheists don't exist.

Essentially, atheism has no conceptual, ideological or philosophical pinnings. Therefore, it presents no basis for qualification.

No one takes title of "an Awitch", on the basis of rejecting claims of existence of witches.

Whatever you call my response, to any of your unfounded claims, is your own creation, and certainly not mine.
Re: Atheism. Define Please! by ScienceWatch: 6:51pm On Oct 17, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:
There are no gods to an atheist because no entity- abstract or concrete- is being elevated to a divine status (deity, deification) . So the atheist lacks the belief in deities simply because he is godless or without a deity (atheos) , nothing is a god or deity to an atheist . Simple .

Atheism is therefore , the rejection of deification . Yes , there are atheists who acknowledge the existence of intelligent source(s) of life on earth (Raelism) and there are those who believe the universe is created (defence of this stance comes , as they say , from the first cause argument) but they don't take the First Cause as a deity .

If you deify something or see it as a god , you are a theist ; if you don't see anything as a deity or god or deify something , you are an atheist .

Example
The pantheist sees the universe as a deity or a god , as an atheist you are not saying the universe does not exist because it is a deity , you simply reject deification . Use this simple logic to understand whatever I wrote above , it can be applied to just anything .

Wow, this is absolutely brilliantly explained and perfectly on point. The King is wise oo
I am reading Sir.
Re: Atheism. Define Please! by budaatum: 5:13pm On Mar 24, 2021
budaatum:

There is no argument that many people believe in whatever they like and are called atheist or call themselves atheist or believe they are atheists. The definition of atheist is the issue here. As in what is an atheist.

If I call myself god, I am deifying myself. Say, buda, you are mad, please, atheist or not.

If I claim there is a creator of the universe, but there is no god, intelligent people would snigger. Any argument on the issue would be about definitions, same as what Allah people have with Yahweh. They would not be claiming there is no god, but which god is the real god. The same difference is that between those who claim 'aliens are the creator' and 'Yahweh is the creator'. The atheist is claiming not only that Yahweh and the alien creator are not gods, but that they don't exist regardless of whether you call them gods or not.

An 'atheist' who acknowledges the existence of a creator but just doesn't believe it, hasn't quite figured out their belief yet. That's like believing the million pounds in my pocket is not there. If they claim it too strongly, I'm sure we wouldn't mind taking the million pounds off them. They refused to acknowledge they had it. They wouldn't miss it.

Claiming the atheist acknowledges the existence of a creator but just doesn't believe it, is probably worse. They have a million pounds. We claim they haven't, regardless of what they make think. Then we take it off them! I have found this akin to setting up of a straw man just so we may mug them. What follows such statements proves my point:

Atheism Unwise And Potentially Dangerous

Atheism And Terrorism; Annihilation in The Quest For Atheistic Domination

Atheist Murderers(past/present) And The Murderous Tendencies Of Todays Atheists.

Some things have been deified. The atheist is claiming those deified things (the stone, the wind, Jesus Christ, the holy spirit, gods) are not deities, and some of them (angels, devils, fairies, the holy spirit, gods) do not even exist. The atheist does not accept the deification of things, nor the existence of deities or fairies, or ghosts, extra terrestrials, spirits, elves, angels, etc. If they do claim to be atheists, and claim these things exist, please subject them to the same arguments they use to disprove the existence of god, and ask them why it does not disprove the existence of fairies etc.

It like when we ask those who claim everything is created, and by a creator, what created god! We hold them in contempt for their acrobatic dishonesty!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Shocker, Confusion As Spiritualist Consults On The Source Of Lords Chosen Power / Power Against The Spirit Of The Snail "Mountain Of Fire Ministries " / hh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.