Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,549 members, 7,823,415 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:53 AM

Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers (1448 Views)

See Why Un Can Never Grant Independent Referendum To Biafran...fact But Bitter. / What Is So Hard For FG To Grant Referendum To The Agitation Group (biafrans) / Arab League Sternly Warns Nigeria To Give Referendum To Biafra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by Efewestern: 7:07am On Oct 14, 2017
Itsekiri leaders rose from a meeting yesterday urging President Muhammadu Buhari administration to set machineries in motion that would lead to the restructuring of the country.

The leaders , who met at the palace of the Olu of Warri, His Majesty , Ogiame Ikenwoli , under the aegis of Itsekiri National Forum , said as a major contributor to the economy and as citizens of the country, they had reflected on the economic , political and social developments in the country and identified corruption , nepotism , insecurity and injustice , among others , as the problems bedeviling the nation .

They resolved that Nigeria should remain one indivisible and sovereign state and that the Itsekiri people would not support or harbour any violent agitation or ambition for the split of the country or exclusion of any state or any of the ethnic nationalities presently constituting the Nigeria nation from the Federal Republic of Nigeria .

The leaders resolved that the system of government is to remain democratic with the various arms and institutions managed in a cost - effective manner with zero tolerance for corruption , nepotism and undue imbalance in the devolution of powers .

To this end, the Itsekiri nation expressed support for the call for a national conference with equal participation of each ethnic nationality and within a legal framework , among other critical issues for national development .

The forum said that such national conference should take into reckoning the work that was done at the 2014 national conference . At the end of it all, the conclusions should lead to a referendum so that the outcome shall truly be felt by “ we the people of Nigeria . ”

While seeking a government that will ensure fairness and equity for all, irrespective of tribe or religion, the leaders canvassed minority protection and development to ensure that the people of diverse ethnic nationalities in the states continue to coexist in peace , prosperity and progress as citizens of one country united by common interest and destiny.

They advocated restructuring of the revenue sharing formula and devolution of powers between the Federal Government and the confederating states or regions to ensure fiscal federalism. “ We therefore advocate that the federating states must retain some measure of independence and autonomy . ”

The Itsekiri leaders resolved to partner with other ethnic nationalities, leaders of thoughts , civil society organizations in Nigeria who share the same aspirations and vision for a united and peaceful Nigeria with strong democratic institutions , to contribute constructively to the discuss at all levels to establish the Nigeria envisaged by the founding fathers of the nation.

The meeting was attended by eminent Itsekiri personalities , including Chiefs Ayiri Emami , Charles Ajuya (SAN ), Kofi Kartey , T . Y . Pessu , Emmanuel A . Tetsola and Yemi Emiko .

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/10/restructuring-itsekiri-demand-referendum-devolve-powers/

https://guardian .ng/politics/itsekiri-leaders-meet-seek-restructuring-of-nigeria/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by Josephjnr(m): 7:08am On Oct 14, 2017
I av tired.
Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by Efewestern: 7:11am On Oct 14, 2017
the minorities are all saying the same thing, resource control , the interest of the minorities are more protected in a well organized and restructured Nigeria.

God bless our father's land.

cc:

ophare
Sanchez01
fratermathy
onuwaje

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by Sanchez01: 7:41am On Oct 14, 2017
Efewestern:
the minorities are all saying the same thing, resource control , the interest of the minorities are more protected in a well organized and restructured Nigeria.

cc:

ophare
Sanchez01
fratermathy
onuwaje

I think I find the word 'referendum and restructuring' to be conflicting. However, this has been my call as well from the outset; let us adopt the United States model and allow for resource control. Each state and region would grow at its own pace while the centre would be relieved.

Unfortunately, the parasitic North wouldn't allow this because their Governors and the president have been robbing Peter to pay Paul. They are more interested in seeing that they don't lose out from their proceeds of the oil rather than see that it is about time Nigeria develops.

I just pray the North would lose its grip in the 2019 elections to anyone in the South such that they would be in a hurry to allow for regional restructuring and resource control.

Mynd44
Lalasticlala
Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by SweetJoystick(m): 8:19am On Oct 14, 2017
Mumu people, una think say this government get una interest at heart?

2 Likes

Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by fratermathy(m): 8:36am On Oct 14, 2017
SweetJoystick:
Mumu people, una think say this government get una interest at heart?

Whether now or later, Nigeria will certainly be restructured or it will disintegrate. Our current system cannot work anymore. 1999 is not 2017. Things have changed and so will Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by Nobody: 8:38am On Oct 14, 2017
fratermathy:

Whether now or later, Nigeria will certainly be restructured or it will disintegrate. Our current system cannot work anymore. 1999 is not 2017. Things have changed and so will Nigeria!

Yes, restructuring or referendum is the way forward...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by oduastates: 8:39am On Oct 14, 2017
Restructuring without altering the fundamental character of the country is as doomed to failure as the current system.
If the restructuring is only based on money , then failure is universally guaranteed. But if it also allows failure to be localised, then we are on to something.

At the center of this failure is the entity known as the federal government.An entity responsible for the spread and propagation of mediocrity across the country . It is impossible for any centre of excellence to progress under this situation.

3 Likes

Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by onuwaje(m): 9:18am On Oct 14, 2017
I rather not say ma.mind on this because d past week has been very annoying when i think of whats happened in naija
Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by Stricker321: 9:18am On Oct 14, 2017
My question to the minorities is this, when will you get this resource control you have been asking for since the days of your fathers? The north will never allow resource control as long as crude oil is still flowing from your lands.

The only time you will get resource control is after the north must have lifted the last barrel of crude oil from your land. At that time, the minorities will be the greatest losers. You will be left with your ravaged lands and dead ecosystem while the north will simply move on. At that point, they wouldn't even mind if Nigeria disintegrates. We all know that one nijeriya is because of crude oil.

You guys should think. Use your heads. Ken Sarowiwa was executed because he was asking for Justice.

Everyday you keep saying that you are for one united Nigeria but want resource control but I can guarantee you it will never happen. Now is the time to take your destiny into your hands when the crude oil still has little value.

A word is enough for the wise.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by Stricker321: 9:19am On Oct 14, 2017
Efewestern:

cc:

ophare
Sanchez01
fratermathy
onuwaje

You will get your resource control after the last barrel of crude oil has been lifted from your ravaged lands.

Go figure.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by oodualover: 9:41am On Oct 14, 2017
Just incase these eddiots do not know, Nigeria will never be restructured.
Who the fuucck are Itshekiris to tell us Nigeria is indivisible? What do they have? How many are they? Itshekiris are too small and they should keep their dirty mouths shut!
The Northeners control their oil just the way they control the sea port in Yorubaland.
Fuccking Hausa Fulani slaves

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by oodualover: 9:46am On Oct 14, 2017
Stricker321:
My question to the minorities is this, when will you get this resource control you have been asking for since the days of your fathers? The north will never allow resource control as long as crude oil is still flowing from your lands.

The only time you will get resource control is after the north must have lifted the last barrel of crude oil from your land. At that time, the minorities will be the greatest losers. You will be left with your ravaged lands and dead ecosystem while the north will simply move on. At that point, they wouldn't even mind if Nigeria disintegrates. We all know that one nijeriya is because of crude oil.

You guys should think. Use your heads. Ken Sarowiwa was executed because he was asking for Justice.

Everyday you keep saying that you are for one united Nigeria but want resource control but I can guarantee you it will never happen. Now is the time to take your destiny into your hands when the crude oil still has little value.

Those fools do not know. The Northerners wont support restructuring. Never!
Whoever thinks Nigeria will be restructured should better wake the ffucck up? Only eediots will repeat their father's mistakes.
They have been asking for restructuring for decades which they wont get because the Northerners wont support it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by Efewestern: 9:58am On Oct 14, 2017
Sanchez01:

I think I find the word 'referendum and restructuring' to be conflicting. However, this has been my call as well from the outset; let us adopt the United States model and allow for resource control. Each state and region would grow at its own pace while the centre would be relieved.

Unfortunately, the parasitic North wouldn't allow this because their Governors and the president have been robbing Peter to pay Paul. They are more interested in seeing that they don't lose out from their proceeds of the oil rather than see that it is about time Nigeria develops.

I just pray the North would lose its grip in the 2019 elections to anyone in the South such that they would be in a hurry to allow for regional restructuring and resource control.

Mynd44
Lalasticlala

even if we have southern president, will they allow it?, remember hw they frustrated GEJ.

the north controls the Senate
millitary

this people are just so backward, hw can we be repeating same thing over and over again.. parasites they are.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by Stricker321: 10:08am On Oct 14, 2017
Efewestern:

even if we have southern president, will they allow it?, remember hw they frustrated GEJ.

millitary

this people are just so backward, hw can we be repeating same thing over and over again.. parasites they are.

This is what some of us have been saying. You can hardly do anything in this country without the support of the north. The country is designed to favor them.

They didn't even start with GEJ but with OBJ when they declared sharia rule in their lands in a secular state under the nose of a southern president.

They control the oil in the south, the National Assembly, the military, the seaports in the south, etc.

Resource control will be achieved after the oil dries up or until the north discovers crude oil in their region in the same volume as what is obtainable in the Niger Delta.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by Sanchez01: 10:11am On Oct 14, 2017
Efewestern:

millitary

GEJ was and is a weakling. He could have run the government the way he deemed fit had it been he had the balls to. Regardless, our only shot would be to support someone from the South, irrespective of the part of the South he is coming from.

Another thing to note is that Jonathan allowed himself to be frustrated. It would have been a different ball game if he actually drew his own closer rather than lustre after strange, unproductive folks who ended up going mum the moment he lost. The Northern game of numbers have been from time immemorial and it seems to be working amidst all things as it is clear that we have only one majority in Nigeria and that is the North.

The thought of a Southern president would no doubt sicken the North, but it would be the perfect advantage we have towards regionalism and resource control. A Southern President would see the North kick and probably reject unifying with other parts of the country. That alone is capable causing them to sit and dialogue over regional governments.

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by Sanchez01: 10:24am On Oct 14, 2017
Stricker321:

I count your words as rants because you clearly don't understand the true strength of the core South. Oil is an advantage but never her strength. Ab initio, palm oil and rubber in commercial quantity was our strength before the entrance of oil. Should oil dry up today, which I pray for, we would revert to those days. Not forgetting accesses to the oceans in the region, it would be a different ball game as trade would definitely take a different turn. Why everything is beat down the way it is is because the government, for certain reasons, thought to bottleneck importation routes, with Lagos being the major, if not the only efficient one at the moment.

The losers of a regional government would be those who would solely depend on the seaports of others as well as their market.

About taking 'destinies into your hands', I sincerely hope you are not referring to raising dusts and causing mayhem and then fleeing when the heat is turned up? Two different persons have tried this and they ended up disappearing. The first came back a stronger Nigerian after sacrificing lives while the other is rumoured to be hiding.
Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by gidgiddy: 10:24am On Oct 14, 2017
Some day, it will eventually dawn on everybody looking for restructuring that the North will never allow it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by Efewestern: 10:27am On Oct 14, 2017
Sanchez01:

GEJ was and is a weakling. He could have run the government the way he deemed fit had it been he had the balls to. Regardless, our only shot would be to support someone from the South, irrespective of the part of the South he is coming from.

Another thing to note is that Jonathan allowed himself to be frustrated. It would have been a different ball game if he actually drew his own closer rather than lustre after strange, unproductive folks who ended up going mum the moment he lost. The Northern game of numbers have been from time immemorial and it seems to be working amidst all things as it is clear that we have only one majority in Nigeria and that is the North.

The thought of a Southern president would no doubt sicken the North, but it would be the perfect advantage we have towards regionalism and resource control. A Southern President would see the North kick and probably reject unifying with other parts of the country. That alone is capable causing them to sit and dialogue over regional governments.

unfortunately we only have fayose campaigning from the south, I actually don't like that guy, but I will definitely vote against buhari come 2019 , the guy is a big tribalist .

we can't just continue like this.. we have nothing in common the people up north.. I still like Nigeria, but they should let us control our resources.

2 Likes

Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by Sanchez01: 10:32am On Oct 14, 2017
Efewestern:

unfortunately we only have fayose campaigning from the south, I actually don't like that guy, but I will definitely vote against buhari come 2019 , the guy is a big tribalist .

we can't just continue like this.. we have nothing in common the people up north.. I still like Nigeria, but they should let us control our resources.
Not sure I know anyone who hates Fayose more than I do. Strangely, it won't prevent me from voting for him even if the PDP rejects his ambition. As it stands, anything but the North and I can sleep like I would on a regular day.

2 Likes

Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by Sanchez01: 10:35am On Oct 14, 2017
gidgiddy:
Some day, it will eventually dawn on everybody looking for restructuring that the North will never allow it.
Those who are politically alive know this already. The North won't allow it because her parasitic tendencies would grind to a halt the day it happens.

The North enjoys the advantage right now because the South is greatly divided. Their hands won't be forced until the entire South comes to a conclusion using one voice.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by Stricker321: 10:38am On Oct 14, 2017
Sanchez01:

About taking 'destinies into your hands', I sincerely hope you are not referring to raising dusts and causing mayhem and then fleeing when the heat is turned up? Two different persons have tried this and they ended up disappearing. The first came back a stronger Nigerian after sacrificing lives while the other is rumoured to be hiding.

The reason why it looks like it keeps failing is simply because the other southerners have refused to support the Igbo in this quest for liberation. This largely caused why the Igbo's lost the civil war and also why the military has been able to silence KANU.

Like a Yoruba guy once said on this forum, liberation from the south will come from the Igbos.
Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by Sanchez01: 10:45am On Oct 14, 2017
Stricker321:

The reason why it looks like it keeps failing is simply because the other southerners have refused to support the Igbo in this quest for liberation. This largely caused why the Igbo's lost the civil war and also why the military has been able to silence KANU.

Like a Yoruba guy once said on this forum, liberation from the south will come from the Igbos.
Wrong. Why it has been failing is because it has always been an Igbo agitation; an agitation which sees the Igbos insult other parts of the South to no end. Interestingly, it is always an agitation of a people who are not even united among themselves. I hate to say this but a true agitation can only be led by the Yorubas. They agree over everything easily, they have the numbers and can drive the point home the moment other parts of the South agree with them.

So far, the two resistance exhibited by Ojukwu and Kanu bear a striking similarity; personal gain over the true needs of their people.
Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by Stricker321: 10:47am On Oct 14, 2017
Sanchez01:

Those who are politically alive know this already. The North won't allow it because her parasitic tendencies would grind to a halt the day it happens.

The North enjoys the advantage right now because the South is greatly divided. Their hands won't be forced until the entire South comes to a conclusion using one voice.

This is the reason the Igbo's have not been able to pull it off.
Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by Diiet: 10:47am On Oct 14, 2017
oodualover:

Those fools do not know. The Northerners wont support restructuring. Never!
Whoever thinks Nigeria will be restructured should better wake the ffucck up? Only eediots will repeat their father's mistakes.
They have been asking for restructuring for decades which they wont get because the Northerners wont support it.
can't you pass message without hurling insults?
Are you sure you are a true OMOLUABI? O gao
Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by Stricker321: 10:52am On Oct 14, 2017
Sanchez01:

Wrong. Why it has been failing is because it has always been an Igbo agitation; an agitation which sees the Igbos insult other parts of the South to no end. Interestingly, it is always an agitation of a people who are not even united among themselves. I hate to say this but a true agitation can only be led by the Yorubas. They agree over everything easily, they have the numbers and can drive the point home the moment other parts of the South agree with them.

So far, the two resistance exhibited by Ojukwu and Kanu bear a striking similarity; personal gain over the true needs of their people.

The Yoruba's cannot lead a true agitation because the far north have succeeded in capturing about half of the Yoruba population using Islam.

A lot has been happening recently. The Yoruba Muslims will frustrate any lead from the Yoruba side.

A well known Yoruba has once posted here that true liberation can only be driven by the Igbo's but it has to be someone much more intelligent than KANU. I never lked kanu's style but truth be told, nothing has shaken Nigeria more than his agitation and he has passed a strong message, hate him or love him.
Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by Diiet: 10:52am On Oct 14, 2017
To show you are a real OMOLUABI please edit your posts and remove the insults.
oodualover:
Just incase these eddiots do not know, Nigeria will never be restructured.
Who the fuucck are Itshekiris to tell us Nigeria is indivisible? What do they have? How many are they? Itshekiris are too small and they should keep their dirty mouths shut!
The Northeners control their oil just the way they control the sea port in Yorubaland.
Fuccking Hausa Fulani slaves
Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by Sanchez01: 11:06am On Oct 14, 2017
Stricker321:

The Yoruba's cannot lead a true agitation because the far north have succeeded in capturing about half of the Yoruba population using Islam.

A lot has been happening recently. The Yoruba Muslims will frustrate any lead from the Yoruba side.

A well known Yoruba has once posted here that true liberation can only be driven by the Igbo's but it has to be someone much more intelligent than KANU. I never lked kanu's style but truth be told, nothing has shaken Nigeria more than his agitation and he has passed a strong message, hate him or love him.
Here's something for you to take away; in the world of the Yorubas, there is no such thing as Yoruba Muslim or Yoruba Christian. This divisive tendency only starts and end here on the forum.

Religion has never been an obstacle with them as opposed to other parts of South.

Before you subtly bring Kanu in, kindly note other parts of the country were scared, not because of Kanu or his ragtag followers, but an uprising in the North which would have led to another pummelling. MEND shook Nigeria far more than Kanu would ever dream of.

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by Sanchez01: 11:08am On Oct 14, 2017
Stricker321:

This is the reason the Igbo's have not been able to pull it off.
Until the Igbos learn the place of diplomacy, tact and strategies rather than come out bluntly at every turn, they would keep meeting a huge block of resistance. You don't scream when you have no plan or strategy in place.
Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by Stricker321: 11:21am On Oct 14, 2017
Sanchez01:

Here's something for you to take away; in the world of the Yorubas, there is no such thing as Yoruba Muslim or Yoruba Christian. This divisive tendency only starts and end here on the forum.

Religion has never been an obstacle with them as opposed to other parts of South.

Before you subtly bring Kanu in, kindly note other parts of the country were scared, not because of Kanu or his ragtag followers, but an uprising in the North which would have led to another pummelling. MEND shook Nigeria far more than Kanu would ever dream of.

Those saying religion does not matter in Yoruba land are deceiving themselves and the Yoruba's know so too.
Yoruba Muslims are the biggest problem we have in the south and that is a fact. Let the Yoruba's try leading the agitation and see how Yoruba Muslims will destroy everything.

The Igbo's have shaken Nigeria more than any group in the south. From the days of Ojukwu to KANU. That is a fact you can take to the bank any day.
Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by Stricker321: 11:25am On Oct 14, 2017
Sanchez01:

Until the Igbos learn the place of diplomacy, tact and strategies rather than come out bluntly at every turn, they would keep meeting a huge block of resistance. You don't scream when you have no plan or strategy in place.

I agree that the Igbo's need to learn to be more diplomatic and tactful.

My fear however is that even if the Igbo's learn all the diplomacy and tact you require, the Yoruba Muslims will frustrate any southern unity and would rather submit to the northern caliphate.
Re: Restructuring: Itsekiri Demand Referendum To Devolve Powers by GoldenChiddy: 11:32am On Oct 14, 2017
There's a lot of igbo culture being promoted within the igbo-British community. Have a look at the channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPSSJKUIZ98

(1) (2) (Reply)

36 State Governors, The Universities They Attended And Course They Studied / Gov. Bello Mobilize Hoodlums To Stop Distribution Of Rice Donated By Senators / Borno to empower 5000 youths with shoe shining business kits (So-bata). Pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.