Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,192 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:02 PM

Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives (24535 Views)

N30,000 Vs N50,000 Job. Nigeria Graduates Are________ / New Salary Scale/table Issued On ₦30,000 Minimum Wage / Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by opera1(m): 9:45am On Oct 15, 2017
The organised labour on Saturday rejected the resolution of the House of Representatives seeking the upward review of the minimum wage for Nigerian workers to N 30 , 000 from the current N 18 , 000
The President of the Trade Union Congress , Bobboi Kaigama , told our correspondent on Saturday that the organised labour is demanding N 56 , 000 .

He stated that the labour unions were awaiting the executive arm of government to set up a committee to speed up the process.

“The procedure is for the tripartite body to sit down and agree on a figure , present it to the National Executive Council , National Council of State and to the National Assembly , ” he said .

The Nigerian Labour Congress on its part, commended the recommendation of the House of Representatives but said that the process to determine an approved minimum wage has started with a tripartite engagement involving the labour , the private sector and the government .

The General Secretary of the NLC, Peter Ezon , stated this in an interview with our correspondent on Saturday.

He said the tripartite arrangement would recommend the minimum wage to the government and in turn take it to the National Assembly for legislation.

“We welcome the concerns of the House of Representatives members and we also beg them to put more pressure on government to institute the process of the tripartite committee so that it can be concluded and returned to the National Assembly , ” Ezon said .

The NLC scribe said some state governors were struggling to pay the N 18 , 000 minimum wage because they failed to set their priorities right .
He accused the Federal Government of delaying the process of sending the approved new minimum wage to the National Assembly .

He warned that the labour movement was losing patience with the government and might be forced to act appropriately to achieve its demands .

As of the time of filing this report , President of the Trade Union Congress , Bobboi Kaigama , was yet to respond to a request for his union’ s reaction .

The PUNCH had reported on Thursday that members of the House of Representatives warned that a nationwide strike by workers over low wages could force the country’ s economy back into recession .

The lawmakers therefore urged the Federal Government to increase the current minimum wage to N 30 , 000 to avert workers ’ strike .

SOURCE

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by agarawu23(m): 9:50am On Oct 15, 2017
56,000 isn't too high cos that's not up to 200$ some countries pay per day for 8-10hours

59 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by oz4real83(m): 10:32am On Oct 15, 2017
I will prefer making it a minimum of N500/hour for unskilled and semi-skilled. That will motivate workers to be more productive. Suppose a worker works 10hours a day,it will be equivalent to N5,000 while for 20 days will be a minimum of N100,000. At an exchange rate of N360/dollar,this N100,000 is roughly $278 which isnt too much. Any worker that offers zero hour of work will get zero income. If u go on strike for no justifiable reasons,u also get zero income. Hourly payment is a better option.

113 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by uboma(m): 11:27am On Oct 15, 2017
NGN30,000.00 as minimum wage is very poor.

the Nigerian government can do better....

8 Likes

Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by Nobody: 12:57pm On Oct 15, 2017
oz4real83:
I will prefer making it a minimum of N500/hour for unskilled and semi-skilled. That will motivate workers to be more productive. Suppose a worker works 10hours a day,it will be equivalent to N5,000 while for 20 days will be a minimum of N100,000. At an exchange rate of N360/dollar,this N100,000 is roughly $278 which isnt too much. Any worker that offers zero hour of work will get zero income. If u go on strike for no justifiable reasons,u also get zero income. Hourly payment is a better option.
Thatsvseeiously how it ought to be, but you know how people in Nigeria are:

1) Employees will start wasting time to do jobs they could have finished much quicker. Just because they want to drag the time spent for a while longer and earn more pay. Unless there's a specific 'milestone' of work expected to be completed in an hour, I'm not sure that'll work.

2) Its an avenue for employers to cheat employees too. By claiming they haven't done as much time as they claim they have. Its hard to investigate when an employer makes such claim and thus they'll be making more profit without having to pay out all of what they really should.

23 Likes

Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by oz4real83(m): 1:44pm On Oct 15, 2017
AnonyNymous:

Thatsvseeiously how it ought to be, but you know how people in Nigeria are:

1) Employees will start wasting time to do jobs they could have finished much quicker. Just because they want to drag the time spent for a while longer and earn more pay. Unless there's a specific 'milestone' of work expected to be completed in an hour, I'm not sure that'll work.

2) Its an avenue for employers to cheat employees too. By claiming they haven't done as much time as they claim they have. Its hard to investigate when an employer makes such claim and thus they'll be making more profit without having to pay out all of what they really should.
it depends on both the empoyee and the employer agreement. If an employer wants an employee to work for 3 hours,then the employer must be ready to pay for 3 hours. If the employer realises that the employee isnt working the rightful amount of work,the employer can easily cancel the remaining work and pay for the hours already done. This method is aslo flexible for the employee. He can decide to work 4hours for Mr A and 5 hours for Mr B.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by emmyw(m): 1:49pm On Oct 15, 2017
Stubborn People Everywhere, Is It Not Better Than The N18,000 or The "ve Forgotten That Half Bread Is Better Than None, What's Even My Business

8 Likes

Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by YelloweWest: 1:49pm On Oct 15, 2017
Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by Adaumunocha(f): 1:51pm On Oct 15, 2017

1 Like

Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by SIMPLYkush: 1:51pm On Oct 15, 2017
mtchww this one weh even 18k dem never fit pay
Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by Baronnaire: 1:52pm On Oct 15, 2017
Hope they reach a consensus on the 56k....

Then upper and lower houses take more for doing nothing...

3 Likes

Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by Humility017(m): 1:52pm On Oct 15, 2017
I believe...it is high time they look into the pay structure of some of this foreign companies especially those in the telecom sector.....
the pay not encouraging despite the huge sum they make....moreover the workers work their ass out....
Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by Nobody: 1:53pm On Oct 15, 2017
abcd..not ma business...
Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by Joephat(m): 1:54pm On Oct 15, 2017
lol
Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by TeeAL(m): 1:55pm On Oct 15, 2017
they should reject it.
Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by Godful: 1:55pm On Oct 15, 2017
you are rejecting 30k when States have not fully implemented the 18k minimum wage. let me come and be going.

9 Likes

Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by chiscodedon(m): 1:56pm On Oct 15, 2017
30k, but they never considered least amount when proposing for there allowances. Selfish parliamentarians

2 Likes

Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by DONADAMS(m): 1:56pm On Oct 15, 2017
hmmmm..they are rejecting 30k when some states are still finding it hard to pay the previous 18k...all good sha...NYSC go increase allawee

1 Like

Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by Emperor002: 1:57pm On Oct 15, 2017
80k will b Ok

1 Like

Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by ayourbamie: 1:57pm On Oct 15, 2017
U don't want 30k. Stay at home let ppl Wey need job do the work and manage the 30k

5 Likes

Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by Nobody: 1:58pm On Oct 15, 2017
He stated that the labour unions were awaiting the executive arm of government to set up a committee to speed up the process

ok they are still waiting for executive to set up committee, but when its time to pay themselves there wont be bureaucracy.
Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by speaktome(m): 1:59pm On Oct 15, 2017
Yes, it should even be 60k

After all am paying 18k as Nepa bill where I reside.

#MySignatureMyBusiness

1 Like

Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by PissedOffWeed(m): 1:59pm On Oct 15, 2017
reject it abeg!!!!!

My friend in Australia gets paid 10$ per hour for just serving at an eatry!

That's #3500 per hour... He works 5 hours a day due to school

That's 17K a day minimum

This country is so so fuckingly gibberish!!!!!!

9 Likes

Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by donblade85555(m): 1:59pm On Oct 15, 2017
abeg make dae offer me the 30k oh....for this recession na person they reject money?

anyway for funny jokes and riddles that will make you laugh like a mad man visit www.laughkillme.com
Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by ikp120(m): 1:59pm On Oct 15, 2017
oz4real83:
They will pluck the money from the tree to pay them, ba?

See how easy it is for you to say "minimum of N100,000". angry Take your calculator and do simple mathematics before talking outside of reality.

You think you can jack up that cleaner's wages to 100k without jacking up the Doctor's own by the same or almost the same percentage? undecided

From 18k to 100k is about 456% increase in salary. That means you should be ready to increase the Doctor's own by at least 300%. You should be thinking of increasing the wages of a doctor on 180k salary to 720k salary (300% increase).

Just reason am bros. Does it make sense to you? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by Grafixnuel(m): 1:59pm On Oct 15, 2017
follow on Instagram/ Facebook @grafixnuel for your hilarious Memes.... You won't regret you did...

2 Likes

Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by yhemsy62(m): 1:59pm On Oct 15, 2017
emmyw:
Stubborn People Everywhere, Is It Not Better Than The N18,000 or The "ve Forgotten That Half Bread Is Better Than None, What's Even My Business
How can you reason in such an hawful manner? SMH

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by seguno2: 1:59pm On Oct 15, 2017
Labour should instead insist on matching the salaries of politicians with those in the civil service.
QED!!!

1 Like

Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by FrankGiel: 2:00pm On Oct 15, 2017
56k for what work!! undecided

I can only agree with this on one condition
The work place is revamped for productivity..

Civil service has the highest amount of unproductive workers in the country.. Many earn money for doing virtually nothing!!
Many workers in the civil service will need to removed.. government is not a pity party association.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by Redmosquito(m): 2:00pm On Oct 15, 2017
Minion: Your Malevolence, the Stingy and selfish Nigerians are crying out for more wages. Those people don't know how to be satisfied. They are never satiated, My Lord.

Hades: My myopic servant, peer deeply before you speak. The workers are petitioning the house of Representatives, a house full of bloated old men that do nothing but warm seats. The limping, hungry and starving masses ask their self-indulgent government for their piece of the national cake. They are offered stipends to feed whole families and you call that wages. The prices sky-rocket everyday, cost of living is rising so quickly they're almost living as bad as we down here. Last time I went to the surface world of the living to price Garri, my evil crown nearly fell off me. Before you speak of selfishness make sure the people are not simply asking for what is due them, a means of survival from their fattened masters.

Minion: Oh Dark one! Your wisdom, once more, illuminates me.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives by seguno2: 2:01pm On Oct 15, 2017
PissedOffWeed:
reject it abeg!!!!!

My friend in Australia gets paid 10$ per hour for just serving at an eatry!

That's #3500 per hour... He works 5 hours a day due to school

That's 17K a day minimum

This country is so so fuckingly gibberish!!!!!!

Please find out how much a senator earns in Australia and compare with Nigerian senators.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Peace Corps To Employ 800,000 Youths / My Interview Experience At A Law Firm In Lekki / Access Bank 10 Minutes Per Day Job Application (share Your Experiences So Far)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.