Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,165 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

Smarter People Are More Likely To Have Mental Problems - Study Reveals - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Smarter People Are More Likely To Have Mental Problems - Study Reveals (978 Views)

My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues / Rita Dominic, Genevieve Nnaji, Ini Edo, Mercy Aigbe, Likely To Wed In 2021 / How To Make Her Orgasm Every Time – New Study Reveals Secret To Female Pleasure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Smarter People Are More Likely To Have Mental Problems - Study Reveals by Realfitbody: 4:03pm On Oct 16, 2017
Hello, guys, it's your favorite health blogger Paul Samuel FitnessDoctor

In summary "the higher your IQ the higher the risk of mental health disorders such as bipolar disorder, depression, and schizophrenia.

Although notable figures with an amazing IQ like Albert Einstein have been known to leave a life devoid of the most serious mental illness, this study claims that there is a link.

The study suggests that highly intelligent people have a significantly increased risk of suffering from a variety of mental disorders.

The study in the journal Science Direct last week says that “those with high intelligence are at significantly greater risk for the examined psychological disorders and physiological diseases.”

The research team found 20 percent of Mensa members, with an IQ of 130 and over, have a diagnosed anxiety disorder, compared to 10 percent of the general public in the U.S.

The research team used a “hyper brain/hyper body theory of integration,” which suggests that people, who have higher cognitive ability tend to react with greater emotional and behavioral response to their environments as compared to others with lower cognitive ability.

Copyright: Paul Samuel FitnessDoctor (realfitbody.com)

Due to their increased level of awareness, individuals with high IQ levels then typically exhibit a hyper-reactive central nervous system.

For example, “a minor insult such as a clothing tag or an unnatural sound may trigger a low level, chronic stress response which then activates a hyper body response,” Dr. Nicole Tetreault, co-author of the study explained to Thriveworks.com.

The study showed that there is a downgrade to having levels of IQ, as the individuals possess “unique intensities and over-excitabilities which can be at once both remarkable and disabling on many levels,” lead author of the study Ruth Karpinski said.

“Our findings are relevant because a significant portion of these individuals is suffering on a daily basis as a result of their unique emotional and physical over-excitabilities. It is important for the scientific community to examine high IQ as being front and center within the system of mechanisms that may be at play in these dysregulations,” she added.

The researchers surveyed 3,715 members of American Mensa, Ltd., a group of people said to share the traits of high intelligence.

Each individual was asked to report their experiences with both diagnosed and suspected mental illnesses, like mood and anxiety disorders, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and also physiological diseases, like food allergies and asthma.

The study then analyzed the data and compared it to the statistical national average for each illness. Researchers found that those with higher levels of IQ had a higher risk of the disorders. While over 10 percent of the U.S. population has a diagnosed anxiety disorder, it was 20 percent for the members of Mensa, explained co-author Audrey Kinase Kolb.

“For these conditions, having a high intelligence is related to having between 2 to 4 times the chance of having a diagnosis compared to the average American,” she said, according to Neurosciencenews.com.

The researchers, however, mentioned in the study that more work "needs to be done to demonstrate causation."

My Thoughts?

I can partially agree with the reason behind the conclusion of an existent link, as most people with extreme intelligence that I know seem to be hyperactive, but I wouldn't conclude that it is due to a mental illness.

Remember to subscribe to my blog for more fitness and lifestyle tips.. See you tomorrow

Stay Healthy, Stay Wise

source: http://www.realfitbody.com/2017/10/smarter-people-mental-problems.html

cc: lalasticlala

Re: Smarter People Are More Likely To Have Mental Problems - Study Reveals by IwillSucced(m): 4:14pm On Oct 16, 2017
fitness doc correct post

abeg wat abut pple wey nor know book?
Re: Smarter People Are More Likely To Have Mental Problems - Study Reveals by eezeribe(m): 4:17pm On Oct 16, 2017
OK
Re: Smarter People Are More Likely To Have Mental Problems - Study Reveals by Nobody: 4:18pm On Oct 16, 2017
Lalasticlala
Re: Smarter People Are More Likely To Have Mental Problems - Study Reveals by PointZerom: 4:33pm On Oct 16, 2017
Hope omenka and LionDeLeo are safe?.
Re: Smarter People Are More Likely To Have Mental Problems - Study Reveals by RENOWNED2(m): 4:40pm On Oct 16, 2017
True.....anxiety disorders, OCD, and that little(loud) voice inside your head freaking out about everything, also poor understanding of probably instintive social skills and on and on.......God dey.....Forgot about adhd(this is the worst)
Re: Smarter People Are More Likely To Have Mental Problems - Study Reveals by Nobody: 5:23pm On Oct 16, 2017
Coupled with paranoia.
Re: Smarter People Are More Likely To Have Mental Problems - Study Reveals by Doctormarvin(m): 5:44pm On Oct 16, 2017
Now some persons will claim they've been experiencing the symptoms of madness while some persons that are genuinely mad will think they are geniuses

2 Likes

Re: Smarter People Are More Likely To Have Mental Problems - Study Reveals by Nobody: 6:29pm On Oct 16, 2017
I can really really relate

1 Like

Re: Smarter People Are More Likely To Have Mental Problems - Study Reveals by Blackhawk01: 6:32pm On Oct 16, 2017
cheesy grin cheesy grin

True AF
Re: Smarter People Are More Likely To Have Mental Problems - Study Reveals by Nobody: 6:39pm On Oct 16, 2017
Blackhawk01:
cheesy grin cheesy grin

True AF
grin cheesy grin
Why is that?
Re: Smarter People Are More Likely To Have Mental Problems - Study Reveals by Realfitbody: 7:28pm On Oct 16, 2017
Re: Smarter People Are More Likely To Have Mental Problems - Study Reveals by JONNYSPUTE(m): 7:29pm On Oct 16, 2017
I can't really vouch for the mental health disorder,but what I ve bn observing in them is that they re not always patient with other people Nd they get angry easily especially when one is not coping up with them.
Re: Smarter People Are More Likely To Have Mental Problems - Study Reveals by Realfitbody: 7:52pm On Oct 16, 2017
JONNYSPUTE:
I can't really vouch for the mental health disorder,but what I ve bn observing in them is that they re not always patient with other people Nd they get angry easily especially when one is not coping up with them.
I can agree with that. What do you mean when you say them?
Re: Smarter People Are More Likely To Have Mental Problems - Study Reveals by Ladyjumong(f): 8:01pm On Oct 16, 2017
Hmmn

1 Like

Re: Smarter People Are More Likely To Have Mental Problems - Study Reveals by delugajackson: 8:16pm On Oct 16, 2017
I completely agree. Einstein and all the crazy guys with their crazy theories of the universe. They were all First Class maniacs.

But those maniacs got us to where we are technologically.

I'm not a maniac, but I'm close to being one.
Re: Smarter People Are More Likely To Have Mental Problems - Study Reveals by JONNYSPUTE(m): 9:41pm On Oct 16, 2017
Realfitbody:
I can agree with that. What do you mean when you say them?
. By them I mean any body with very high IQ,
Re: Smarter People Are More Likely To Have Mental Problems - Study Reveals by Realfitbody: 6:00am On Oct 17, 2017
Re: Smarter People Are More Likely To Have Mental Problems - Study Reveals by Konquest: 2:35am On Nov 21, 2017
Realfitbody:
Hello, guys, it's your favorite health blogger Paul Samuel FitnessDoctor

In summary "the higher your IQ the higher the risk of mental health disorders such as bipolar disorder, depression, and schizophrenia.

Although notable figures with an amazing IQ like Albert Einstein have been known to leave a life devoid of the most serious mental illness, this study claims that there is a link.

The study suggests that highly intelligent people have a significantly increased risk of suffering from a variety of mental disorders.

The study in the journal Science Direct last week says that “those with high intelligence are at significantly greater risk for the examined psychological disorders and physiological diseases.”

The research team found 20 percent of Mensa members, with an IQ of 130 and over, have a diagnosed anxiety disorder, compared to 10 percent of the general public in the U.S.

The research team used a “hyper brain/hyper body theory of integration,” which suggests that people, who have higher cognitive ability tend to react with greater emotional and behavioral response to their environments as compared to others with lower cognitive ability.

Due to their increased level of awareness, individuals with high IQ levels then typically exhibit a hyper-reactive central nervous system.

For example, “a minor insult such as a clothing tag or an unnatural sound may trigger a low level, chronic stress response which then activates a hyper body response,” Dr. Nicole Tetreault, co-author of the study explained to Thriveworks.com.

The study showed that there is a downgrade to having levels of IQ, as the individuals possess “unique intensities and over-excitabilities which can be at once both remarkable and disabling on many levels,” lead author of the study Ruth Karpinski said.

“Our findings are relevant because a significant portion of these individuals is suffering on a daily basis as a result of their unique emotional and physical over-excitabilities. It is important for the scientific community to examine high IQ as being front and center within the system of mechanisms that may be at play in these dysregulations,” she added.

The researchers surveyed 3,715 members of American Mensa, Ltd., a group of people said to share the traits of high intelligence.

Each individual was asked to report their experiences with both diagnosed and suspected mental illnesses, like mood and anxiety disorders, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and also physiological diseases, like food allergies and asthma.

The study then analyzed the data and compared it to the statistical national average for each illness. Researchers found that those with higher levels of IQ had a higher risk of the disorders. While over 10 percent of the U.S. population has a diagnosed anxiety disorder, it was 20 percent for the members of Mensa, explained co-author Audrey Kinase Kolb.

“For these conditions, having a high intelligence is related to having between 2 to 4 times the chance of having a diagnosis compared to the average American,” she said, according to Neurosciencenews.com.

The researchers, however, mentioned in the study that more work "needs to be done to demonstrate causation."

My Thoughts?

I can partially agree with the reason behind the conclusion of an existent link, as most people with extreme intelligence that I know seem to be hyperactive, but I wouldn't conclude that it is due to a mental illness.

Remember to subscribe to my blog for more fitness and lifestyle tips.. See you tomorrow

Stay Healthy, Stay Wise

source: http://www.realfitbody.com/2017/10/smarter-people-mental-problems.html

^^^^^^
Re: Smarter People Are More Likely To Have Mental Problems - Study Reveals by WebSurfer(m): 2:53am On Nov 21, 2017
Lol

(1) (Reply)

11 Different Types Of Orgasm And How You Can Have Each (2) / Founder Of World First Gay Dating Site,falls To His Death Just Like His Partner / Desire Satisfaction From Sugar Mummy Or Sugar Daddy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.