Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,807 members, 7,820,832 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:47 PM

How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? (16720 Views)

How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? / How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? / Access Bank Manager Seizes A Staff’s Phone - Twitter User (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? by idu1(m): 10:03am On Oct 21, 2017
Brightgem:
Shut up! You could have just passed than speaking! abi na u be the cleaner? hihihihi!
you dey heat period abi?
Re: How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? by akanbiaa(m): 10:06am On Oct 21, 2017
AgamaHub:
Hello Nairalanders,
the job. The next day she started work without waiting for a message from me. Few days into the work, other staffs started complaining that she isn't doing her duties, I called for a meeting and asked her if she was sure she could do this job, she said yes, I said ok. 1 week latter she says she can't continue the work, that I should pay her for the one she has worked.
Now she is disturbing me for 2weeks that she worked here.
What do I do?
It's not possible for a staff to begin work without permission from employer except you have something in between the two of you that is hidden from us here.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? by Chimex30(m): 10:10am On Oct 21, 2017
AgamaHub:
Hello Nairalanders,
I have something that has been bothering me for some time now. I manage a hotel here in Nigeria, and the hotel is under renovation. I have 5staffs and just barely 5 functional rooms. Recently someone came to apply for the post of cleaner in the Hotel, I did an interview on her and asked her a lot of questions regarding the job, she said she could do the job. The next day she started work without waiting for a message from me. Few days into the work, other staffs started complaining that she isn't doing her duties, I called for a meeting and asked her if she was sure she could do this job, she said yes, I said ok. 1 week latter she says she can't continue the work, that I should pay her for the one she has worked.
What do I do?
kill her
Re: How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? by krosh: 10:15am On Oct 21, 2017
Dear Poster,
If an offer letter was in place and she signed it; it simply means you have to pay her for what she did. But if she hasnt signed any offer letter; you have every right not to pay or give her attention. You owe her no obligation.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? by Nobody: 10:16am On Oct 21, 2017
She worked for you for few days before the complaints started coming.
After another one week she resigned.

For two weeks now she has been disturbing you to pay her the days she has worked for you (which is one week and few days).

From all indications you don't want to pay her because of issues ranging from the complaints leveled against her while under your employment, low patronage during the period she worked, starting work without your prior consent etcetera.

Now my advice,
It's still 10am, call her right now to come and collect her payment. When she comes, divide the amount you pay to cleaners into two equal parts and pay her one, and wish her success in her future endeavours.

God bless you as you put a smile into someone's heart today.
Re: How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? by omoelerin1: 10:20am On Oct 21, 2017
AgamaHub:
Hello Nairalanders,
I have something that has been bothering me for some time now. I manage a hotel here in Nigeria, and the hotel is under renovation. I have 5staffs and just barely 5 functional rooms. Recently someone came to apply for the post of cleaner in the Hotel, I did an interview on her and asked her a lot of questions regarding the job, she said she could do the job. The next day she started work without waiting for a message from me. Few days into the work, other staffs started complaining that she isn't doing her duties, I called for a meeting and asked her if she was sure she could do this job, she said yes, I said ok. 1 week latter she says she can't continue the work, that I should pay her for the one she has worked.
What do I do?
You had better engage the service of a professional cleaning/janitorial company today to prevent the reoccurrence of such mess and relieve you from the stress of hiring and supervising such irresponsible cleaners.

At CRYSTAL FACILITY SERVICES, the responsibility of cleaning your premises lies on us. Our core values are Professionalism, Integrity and Reliability. With experienced, well trained and dedicated staff/janitors, we will make you happy.
Should you require any further information, kindly contact israeladebare@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? by sisisioge: 10:20am On Oct 21, 2017
Actually, there was neither a lawful engagement nor disengagement here. Neither of you did the right thing. No proper engagement procedure and she left without ceremony too. Biko pay her for what she's done...issue resolved.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? by Goldenboy007(m): 11:07am On Oct 21, 2017
Agent by Estoppel - if you see her in your establishment for two weeks acting as an employee and you kept quiet then the law will deem your silence as agreement to the implied employment contract. Pay her salary.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? by DuchessBenz(f): 11:09am On Oct 21, 2017
@Poster, the quickest and surest way to kill your business is to deny ur workers their due wages, especially the junior workers who usually come across as the more needy and bitter ones. Despite your faith, Nemesis AKA Karma is no respecter of faces or faith. You are old enough to own a hotel/business so I suppose you know your left from ur right. Stop looking for who will advice you not to pay the chap. Just calculate his/her money for the weeks and simply pay her off since u know fully well that she rendered the services for those periods. Don't start heaping unnecessary curses and night vigils on your young business.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? by MightyHand(m): 11:24am On Oct 21, 2017
Pay her for the few days she spent working for you. Remember some things are jxt LEGAL but not MORAL vice versa. pay her nd get a good reputation frm within.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? by Thylord(m): 11:34am On Oct 21, 2017
AgamaHub:
Hello Nairalanders,
What do I do?
so you want somebody to work free work in this buhari regime.OGA seriously you no get joy at all.abeg pay the lady her money before person go pour you acid because of one nonsense money.yesterday somebody slap person teeth commoth because of #240.I just say make I let you know.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? by Emekayoung(m): 11:39am On Oct 21, 2017
sorextee:
U no employ person and she start dey work?
I like her faith. Make me sef go start work for ptdf
Since ive already applied ND yet to be called..

Make I serious now..

As u see her dey clean, why u no pursue her say u never decide yet?
But last last, d girl chop liver.
How person go start work wen u as an employer never tell am to start work? I sure say that guy don nyash am. But he is hiding it. Its very obvious na.. Where that kind thing dey happen? For her to gather liver start work just like that,there is more to the story..
Re: How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? by QuestSeeker: 11:50am On Oct 21, 2017
Goldenboy007:
Agent by Estoppel - if you see her in your establishment for two weeks acting as an employee and you kept quiet then the law will deem your silence as agreement to the implied employment contract. Pay her salary.

You have spoken well. Agent by Estoppel and Quantum meruit doctrines are very applicable here.

Op kindly pay the lady as your silence, after she resumed work without proper engagement, implies consent.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? by masks(m): 12:03pm On Oct 21, 2017
AgamaHub:
Hello Nairalanders,
What do I do?
pls don't pay her...she spent just two weeks on the job...
Re: How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? by Apina(m): 12:15pm On Oct 21, 2017
First of all, she never got any invite to start working as a cleaner even though she was interviewed for that post. Secondly, u calling her attention to her not meeting up to the supposed duties is an acknowledgement of her working for you. Thirdly, the Nigerian labor law works based on the salary structure which is the practice in ur hotel and not based on a wage structure. As regards the first and third points whereby no agreement or terms of service was reached or offered to the said party and based on company policy, ipso facto all she went there to do was mere charity work and cannot demand for wages from a company with a salary based structure in place. But u can be empathetic towards her if u choose and pay her based on ur benevolence and not because she has a right to be paid.
Re: How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? by sorextee(m): 12:37pm On Oct 21, 2017
I tot as much too. But i say make I ignore dat part grin

Emekayoung:

How person go start work wen u as an employer never tell am to start work? I sure say that guy don nyash am. But he is hiding it. Its very obvious na.. Where that kind thing dey happen? For her to gather liver start work just like that,there is more to the story..
Re: How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? by toygod2: 1:15pm On Oct 21, 2017
greggng:

The bible says a worker deserves his or her wage. You re talking legally add morality to it

Thanks, you're talking morality abi.
How many of the God's commandments do you obey ursef with this ur holier than thou attitude ....
shocked
Re: How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? by fashrola(m): 1:49pm On Oct 21, 2017
Protein0:

Why did you ask for how to deal with the situation then? I hope you know the above are verdicts already. Save people's wits for those that actually need it. Thanks
Meanwhile in (2) above, you mean your workers work for 44days before getting paid?

I tire sef.... Some employers no even get conscience at all... Except it's stated in the letter of employment

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? by Protein0: 1:55pm On Oct 21, 2017
fashrola:

I tire sef.... Some employers no even get conscience at all... Except it's stated in the letter of employment
Only a wicked employer will put such in the letter of appointment, not to talk of implementing it, except if the month's returns come in 2weeks after month end which I doubt. I actually know some employers that do something similar (paying on the 7th-10th of the new month) , but none of them is growing sha

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? by bkool7(m): 2:47pm On Oct 21, 2017
AgamaHub:
We don't have any extra money to give, moreover we pay staff 2weeks after the suppose date of actual salary. So she can't come and start work, end when she wants and collect salary.

The most important issue is that she.worked and cleaned your hotel for certain numbers of days.
The way you asking for advice and defending your opinion, it's like you've made up your mind not to pay her.
Since you saw her working and you didnt stop her till she quit, calculate days she has worked and pay her accordingly.

Deuteronomy 24:15
"You shall give him his wages on his day before the sun sets, for he is poor and sets his heart on it; so that he will not cry against you to the LORD and it become sin in you."

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? by vivie01(f): 2:50pm On Oct 21, 2017
@AgamaHub, what actually is the problem here cos I dont see anything meaningful in your post? Is it that you dont have money to pay her, you dont think she deserves the wages she worked for cos she's a cleaner, she committed offence by not getting a go ahead from you, you dont want her to go or you intentionally planned to cheat her of her wages? Pls specify and elucidate on it.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? by bkool7(m): 2:56pm On Oct 21, 2017
Apina:
First of all, she never got any invite to start working as a cleaner even though she was interviewed for that post. Secondly, u calling her attention to her not meeting up to the supposed duties is an acknowledgement of her working for you. Thirdly, the Nigerian labor law works based on the salary structure which is the practice in ur hotel and not based on a wage structure. As regards the first and third points whereby no agreement or terms of service was reached or offered to the said party and based on company policy, ipso facto all she went there to do was mere charity work and cannot demand for wages from a company with a salary based structure in place. But u can be empathetic towards her if u choose and pay her based on ur benevolence and not because she has a right to be paid.

Even before the law , employment letter is not needed to show one as worked for someone .

How many small scale biz give appointment letters these days self?
As long as two or more witness can verify that she once worked there for certain number of days ...thats good enough for the judge. I'm also sure they have workers register in the hotel where she must have signed in and out for the days she worked.
All those shows the employer consented to her working there...and every worker deserves his wages, no matter how small

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? by Nnamdiojukwu: 4:15pm On Oct 21, 2017
careytommy7:
The fact that you called her and asked if she was willing to continue the job, after some complaints were made against her, shows your acknowledgement of when she started working even though you didn't explicitly ask her to start.
Pay her for the 2 weeks and be very careful next time.
Not only that,her reason for leaving the job could be because of the other staffs,the lady in question resumed her duty without waiting to be call why sudden Chang of mind,I suspect pressure from the staffs.
Re: How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? by charlsecy(m): 4:18pm On Oct 21, 2017
AgamaHub:
What do I do?
Legally, you may have reasons not to pay her, but morally, I would advise you these:

Do the calculation and pay her for just the week she worked.

Learn your lessons and move on.

Amen.
Re: How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? by BJ0SE(m): 4:20pm On Oct 21, 2017
toygod2:
The hotel owner is not under any legal obligation to pay the cleaner! Why?
She was interviewed right but she didn't even wait to confirm or hear, if she was needed. Hence no agreement or evidence of been employed, you willingly started the work.
The hotel owner might decide to say, he only pays people who have worked for nothing less than one - month. So undecided

Again, even the one week job done was full of complaint and so, uf it were you, does she deserves to be paid really

There's an implied consent already except they have a deliberate policy stating that they only pay for people that have worked minimum of 1 month.
OP Abeg pay her the equivalent of 2 weeks make matter rest
Re: How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Oct 21, 2017
You saw her working even though you didn't ask her to start and you didn't stop her? You also didn't tell her what her job is required of her hence the complaints from other staff.

Now she has resigned, ask her to send in her official resignation letter, then pay her 2 weeks after she hands the letter to you.

Be more professional as a manager. Always present offer letters to new recruits letting them know your terms of employment. Amongst other things, let them know they have to put in a month's notice of resignation b4 they can be paid fully for the time they worked.

Word of advice; If your internal organisation structure/ channel of communication is wack, trust me, you won't go very far with that business.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Switch To A Career In Data Analysis / Alagbon Ayomide, An Eksu Graduate Making A Living From Shoemaking / Dangote Refinery: Graduate Trainees Vow To End Fuel Scarcity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.