Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,459 members, 7,816,078 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:46 AM

It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. (21761 Views)

Amotekun Is Unconstitutional - Maigari Dingyadi, Police Affairs Minister / Facts Emerge Non-yorubas Have Been In Lagos For Years Before Immigrant Yorubas / Saraki: Banning Of IPOB By Military & South-East Governors Is Unconstitutional (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by months: 5:08pm On Oct 20, 2017
No member of my family and never will my children go to School to waste their time learning a language that is useless in commerce, science and technology.

I sent them to school to develop themselves and contribute to human development.

How is my Igbo son/daughter learning Yoruba useful?

All this yoruba attempt to convert other tribes to yoruba is doomed to fail.

Go and teach your yoruba children their language, culture and heritage, leave other tribes out of it.

We will not hesitate to drag Lagos state government to court and get that Bill by Lagos State Assembly struck out as unconstitutional.

Just leave our children that are not yoruba out of your tribalistic ethnic domination agenda of other tribes residing the the Commercial capital of our Country Nigeria.

My children education is my priority and I am totally vested in wat they learn at School.

I want the best for them. I believe the time they will use to learn Yoruba, is best spent learning French.

There should be an option for non-yorubas in the City of Lagos.

16 Likes

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by months: 5:15pm On Oct 20, 2017
WAT WE HAVE IN LAGOS IS THE RESURFACING OF APARTHIED SOUTH AFRICA WHITE ONLY AGAINST THE BLACK SOUTH AFRICANS IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY.

WHILST THE OIL FROM THE SS/SE IGBOLAND, IJAWLAND, IBIBIOLAND, ITSEKIRI LAND, URHOBO LAND IS SHARED, AND USED TO FINANACE DEVELOPMENT IN LAGSO AND ABUJA.

WE HAVE THIEVES TRYING TO TURN NATIONAL CAPITAL TO TRIBAL HEADQUARTERS.

THAT IS NOT EVEN THE MOST ANNOYING PART.

THE MOST ANNOYING PART IS THEIR ACTIVE ENCOURAGEMENT AND PARTICIPATION IN THE USE OF VIOLENCE AGAINST PEOPLE OF THE SS/SE FOR DEMANDING RESOURCE CONTROL AND SELF DETERMINATION.

WE ALL REMEMBER THE WAY OBJ MASSACRED EVERYBODY IN ODI COMMUNITY, OVER THE OIL IN THEIR OWN LAND AND ENDED UP WITH A CASE AT THE ICC.

Yoruba Language Bill: Issues, burden, challenges
October 20, 2017
AKIN ADEWAKUN and CHUKWUMA OPARAOCHA Features

Yoruba LanguageIt is no longer news that the Lagos State House of Assembly is pushing for a N500, 000 fine or closure of any school that disregards its proposed bill on compulsory learning and teaching of the Yoruba Language. AKIN ADEWAKUN and CHUKWUMA OPARAOCHA look at the various dimensions to the issue and the move to preserve the Yoruba Language.

Lagos State was, again, in the news, a few months ago, when it announced its desire to come up with a law that would make the teaching and learning of Yoruba Language compulsory in schools across the state.

Presently, using Yoruba, a vital communication means among the people of the South-Western part of the country, is not compulsory in most schools in the state, while it is regarded by some as a vernacular, which pupils must steer clear of, especially during school hours.

The bill, which is still being debated on the floors of the State House of Assembly, and had passed through second readings, when passed into law, intends to address this by making teaching of the language compulsory in the state-owned schools.

It is about strengthening the Yoruba language —Lawmaker

The move, according to the Chairman of the House Committee on Education, Honourable Olanrewaju Ogunyemi, is aimed at strengthening the use of the language and arresting the dwindling fortune of a language that, hitherto, had been a major unifying factor among the people of the South-West.

Giving details about the proposed bill, Honourable Ogunyemi explained that the bill entitled: “A Bill for a Law To Provide for the Preservation and Promotion of the Use of Yoruba Language and for Connected Purposes,” which had already gone through the second reading, when passed, would make it compulsory for all primary and secondary schools in the state to include teaching of Yoruba language as a core subject at all levels.

Besides, it also provides that all the laws in the state would be translated into Yoruba Language, while all state-owned tertiary institutions will be mandated to incorporate the use of Yoruba Language in the General Studies (GNS) courses.

According to the bill: “The use of Yoruba Language shall be an acceptable means of communication between individuals, establishment, corporate entities and government in the state if so desired by the concerned.

“It shall not be an offence for a person to speak Yoruba Language by the state government.”

Perhaps, as a way of proving the state’s resolve to ‘walk the talk’, the bill also proposes a series of measures to ensure schools, especially state-owned ones, comply.

For instance, the bill proposes that any school that fails to comply with the provisions of Section 2 of the law commits an offence and is liable on first violation to issuance of warning, while a sterner sanction of such school being closed down and a fine of N500, 000 for violations, are also some of the measures being taken to ensure compliance.

“It shall not be an offence for a person to speak Yoruba Language by the state government,” the bill stated, obviously an outlaw of an existing, but unwritten rule in the state, especially in schools, forbidding any student from speaking vernacular, a derogatory term used to describe the language.

Perhaps to demonstrate the seriousness of the state government to hit the ground running, Ogunyemi, in an interview with Nigerian Tribune, stated that the committee might tinker with a provision in the bill that gives a two -year period before the law takes effect, when eventually passed.

Rather, he added, majority of the lawmakers would want the missing link implementation to commence as soon as the bill is passed into law by the state governor.

He stated that the Lagos State House of Assembly had started blazing the Yoruba culture- renaissance trail, as evident in its decision to adopt the use of the language for plenary on Thursdays.

The House Committee on Education Chairman, however, believes the state lawmakers are not doing anything new by pushing for such law; since there is an existing National Policy on Education that insists that the language of an environment should be spoken in schools.

“The National Policy on Education provides that the language of an environment should be spoken in schools, which is why Yoruba Language is being adopted in Lagos schools.

“After the passage of the bill into law, it would become compelling for schools to speak Yoruba Language. We want to preserve the language for generations yet unborn,” he said.

When asked whether the rule would also apply to private schools in the state, the lawmaker stated that they (private schools) were part of the foundation of the bill and were at meetings the committee held across the education districts in the state.

He therefore added that the private schools would have no choice than to key into the project, insisting that school owners had been properly mobilised; hence the state Ministry of Education would therefore ensure compliance.

Interestingly, not a few lawmakers in the chamber share Ogunyemi’s enthusiasms. For instance, many of them who spoke with Nigerian Tribune expressed their dissatisfaction with the rejection of the teaching of Yoruba Language both in schools and at home by some parents.

In his remarks, the majority leader, Hon. Sanai Agunbiade, said, “Most schools today do not speak Yoruba Language again and other indigenous languages. In fact, many parents frown on their children speaking Yoruba.

“We should ensure that Yoruba Language does not go into extinction. Other people embrace their languages, we should also be proud of ours,” he said.

Speaking in the same vein, Hon. Segun Olulade, the Chairman, House Committee on Health, also called for the promotion of Yoruba Language, culture and tradition, insisting that it was not good to call Yoruba Language a vernacular.

Hon. Adefunmilayo Tejuosho from Mushin Constituency I said, “We have thrown away our language, there is nothing to be ashamed of in speaking our language.”

Tejuosho decried the habit of punishing or making students pay fine for speaking Yoruba Language in schools, noting that when eventually passed, the law would address some of such anomalies.

In his reaction, the Speaker of the House, Honourable Mudashiru Obasa said; “it is not our making that we were born here, others speaking their indigenous languages are progressing in other climes.

“We need to encourage our language, and be proud of it. Using our indigenous language to teach our children yields better results as posited by late Bola Ige and Prof. Wole Soyinka.”

But, while the ‘push’ for the introduction of such law by the state lawmakers sounds soothing to the ears, especially to those of culture enthusiasts in the state, not a few stakeholders however believe that the road to its implementation may be strewn with thistles and thorns.

Mixed reactions

For instance, while Mr. Iyanda Olajire, an educationist and proprietor of Dominion Group of Schools, Lagos, sees this as positive, ‘since efforts are being made by the state to protect the language from going into extinction’, he however believes a lot still needed to be put in place to ensure that the effects of such law are felt when eventually passed.

One of such things, he said, is the need to sensitise critical stakeholders, parents, schools and the students themselves on the objectives of such law.

“It’s good, if eventually passed into law. At least it is a positive development that efforts are being made to protect the nation’s indigenous languages, especially, the Yoruba Language, which is a major communication means of the South-West.

“Honestly, it is becoming increasingly obvious that if such steps are not taken, it is a matter of time before the language is consigned into the dustbin of history; since interest in the teaching and learning of the language is waning by the day.

“Look at almost all the schools today, parents and pupils prefer to buy computer books than buying the recommended Yoruba textbooks for the study of the language. And if you don’t buy textbooks for a particular subject, how do you do well in such subjects?” Mr Olajire asked.

The Dominion College proprietor however believes that beautiful as the steps might be, the implementation of such law might throw up some challenges. For instance, there is a limit to the powers that the state governments have in this area, he stated.

According to him, implementation of such law might only be possible if it is for those in primary schools and perhaps the Junior Secondary schools in the state.

“Definitely, there is no way you can make the teaching and learning of the language compulsory at the senior secondary levels, because those at this level sit for an examination that is not limited to states. They sit for an examination that is controlled at the national level, through WAEC and NECO,” he said.

He added that if the purpose of the law is just to teach and learn the language, without making writing the exams compulsory, in schools, the tendencies for the students not to be serious about it are very high; since they know they are likely, at any time, to be tested on their knowledge of the subject.

He however believes that for the bill to be effective, when passed, the state must work in conjunction with the Federal Government. In other words, the National Assembly must also come up with a law that would make learning and teaching of indigenous subjects compulsory, while erring students should be schools be punished.

But curiously, a principal in one of the public schools in the state, who would not want his name in print, believes coming up with such laws at this time might not necessarily make the desired impact because the resources to implement such law are simply lacking.

“If you are coming out with a law that will be insisting on Yoruba being taught and learnt and taught in schools, one vital question we should ask ourselves is whether the state has the resources to implement this. For instance, how many Yoruba teachers do we have across these schools? And out of these teachers, how many of them are actually qualified? I can tell you that they are very few.

“And if that is the case, what efforts are being made to encourage people to study the language? What we have presently is that those who study the language in various institutions across the country are doing it after their attempts at studying Law and other more ‘prestigious’ courses have been frustrated,” he added.

He believed that before such laws would work, there was the need for government to address some of these issues.

Interestingly, one of such ‘solutions’ according to Mr. Olajire of Dominion College, is for government to begin to do some sensitization, concerning the study of the subject.

“For instance, what is the future like for those studying the subject in higher institutions? Can they also get other jobs apart from teaching? How do you address the societal stigmatisation concerning those who study the language? All these must be brought to the front-burners if the law is to achieve the impact is meant to achieve,” he stated.

Mr Adedeji Fadahunsi, a parent, would not agree less. Though a linguist, he would still not lord it over his children to do the language if the bill is eventually signed into law.

He believes that the odds against the teaching and learning of the language are rather high.

“And until they are addressed, it is just like playing to the gallery. Otherwise, a situation where those who have anything to do with the language are seen as second fiddle will definitely not help the cause of this project. No parent would voluntarily ask his or her child to go and study a language that may not really enhance the status of the child at the end of the day,” he stated.

In all these, Fadahunsi is, however, of the belief that the future of the language remains bright as long as the state government is ready to take up the gauntlet of addressing some misconceptions surrounding the teaching and study of the language, while also providing some form of incentives to those who may want to make a career out of this major communication means of the South-West.
http://www.tribuneonlineng.com/yoruba-language-bill-issues-burden-challenges/

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by months: 5:17pm On Oct 20, 2017
This APC are a bunch of very backward people, no wonder Nnamdi Kanu and IPOB are seriously determined to break the country.

Wat should we expect next, HausaFulani make islam compulsory for everybody residing in the Abuja, the Political capital of Nigeria?

Y is the black man so backward?

Yoruba for me as an Igbo person is optional. Yoruba is for Yoruba people.

Islam for me as a Christian is optional. Islam is for muslims.

The minute u apply force of legislation, threats or duress, you have infringed on my God given choice and freedom granted by the Nigeria constitution.

That is not acceptable and unlawful.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by knowledgeable: 5:21pm On Oct 20, 2017
months:
No member of my family and never will my children go to School to waste their time learning a language that is useless in commerce, science and technology.

I sent them to school to develop themselves and contribute to human development.

Go and teach your yoruba children their language, culture and heritage, leave other tribes out of it.

We will not hesitate to drag Lagos state government to court and get that Bill by Lagos State Assembly struck out as unconstitutional.

Just leave our children that are not yoruba out of your tribalistic ethnic domination agenda of other tribes residing the the Commercial capital of our Country Nigeria.

They're not proud of their physical appearance/culture.....that explains it all.

3 Likes

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by months: 5:31pm On Oct 20, 2017
knowledgeable:

They're not proud of their physical appearance/culture.....that explains it all.

So taking Igbo children and making dem Yoruba will help dem to be proud?

They must have not heard of the document called constitution.

U cannot force ur language on anybody. Igbo children will opt out of such arrangement and likewise the HausaFulani and all the other various tribe residing in the commercial capital of Nigeria.

We will drag Lagos State government to Federal Court and have that bill struck out.

We are well placed and eduacted to ensure that Yoruba domination of other tribes never see the light of day in Lagos.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by Sall(m): 5:34pm On Oct 20, 2017
[quote author=months post=61610040]No member of my family and never will my children go to School to waste their time learning a language that is useless in commerce, science and technology.

Just leave our children that are not yoruba out of your tribalistic ethnic domination agenda of other tribes residing the the Commercial capital of our Country Nigeria. [/quote

I did Hausa in the school up north . If you can't abide by the rules of the land take your children back to the east and school them there .
If the indigenous language can be made compulsory up north, then it must be made compulsory in the west. Kindly go back to the east and do the same shoooo...

86 Likes 5 Shares

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by totit: 5:36pm On Oct 20, 2017
Are you are done ranting
Oya, go and hug a wet transformer undecided

grin grin grin

75 Likes 6 Shares

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by Sall(m): 5:50pm On Oct 20, 2017
[quote author=months post=61610040]No member of my family and never will my children go to School to waste their time learning a language that is useless in commerce, science and technology.

Just leave our children that are not yoruba out of your tribalistic ethnic domination agenda of other tribes residing the the Commercial capital of our Country Nigeria. [/quotequote

Unconstitutional. Telling the owners of a property how to run there properties.
Are you ok?
Like I said you can take your entire families back to the east and school them .

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by Guestlander: 5:57pm On Oct 20, 2017
Send your children to another state where they can learn Igbo or only languages "useful for business and technology"
Is it by force to send your children to school in Lagos?

88 Likes 7 Shares

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by months: 6:00pm On Oct 20, 2017
totit:
Are you are done ranting
Oya, go and hug a wet transformer undecided

grin grin grin

Thunder is already charged and waiting to descend upon u.

All me am saying is that the language should be compulsory for Yorubas only.

Ijaw, Igbo and Hausa children should not be compelled to learn Yoruba.

This is my major concern, rather give our children French.

At the end of the day let us see who benefit most.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by Jetleeee: 6:01pm On Oct 20, 2017
Eba leleyi sha. Bill that has already been passed, this one is here sewing thread. Sura the tailor grin

Keyboard Julius Caesar

91 Likes 7 Shares

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by months: 6:02pm On Oct 20, 2017
Guestlander:
Send your children to another state where where they can learn Igbo or only languages "useful for business and technology"
Is it by force to send your children to school in Lagos?

Let us not decieve ourselves here, we all know the Federal courts will uphold the constitution and the numerous freedom that are enshrined which we all enjoy.

This is an effort in futility.

Yorubas should get this right, I am not fighting with u.

However, i will not be intimidated from claiming my right, in-view that my continued Nigeria status, was by force.

We had already left and abandonded Lagos in the 1960s. It was starvation by Awolowo and War by Gowon that drag us back into this dead marriage.

We are still willing to leave Nigeria today.

With that said, I maintain that Yoruba language should only be compulsory in School for Yoruba children, just like Islam is compulsory for only muslims.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by totit: 6:03pm On Oct 20, 2017
months:

Thunder is already charged and waiting to descend upon u.

..he who complaining is no other being inflicted.

What an irony. That thunder is already tearing you apart inside now hence your lamentation.

Oya.. go and cry jor grin

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by Guestlander: 6:04pm On Oct 20, 2017
months:

Let us not decieve ourselves here, we all know the Federal courts will uphold the constitution and the numerous freedom that is enchrined which we all enjoy.

This is an effort in futility.

And the constitution says Yoruba language cannot be taught in Yoruba states?

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by Omofunaab2: 6:04pm On Oct 20, 2017
Sincerely ... I'm happy with this bill.

Anybody that is not happy should go back to abakaliki

71 Likes 6 Shares

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by months: 6:05pm On Oct 20, 2017
totit:

..he who complaining is no other being inflicted.

What an irony. That thunder is already tearing you apart inside now hence your lamentation.

Oya.. go and cry jor grin

My children will not learn your language in School, becos i will oppose it.

Kiss the truth.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by totit: 6:06pm On Oct 20, 2017
Jetleeee:
Okpo leleyi sha. Bill that has already been passed, this one is here sewing thread grin

Keyboard Julius Caesar

I am indeed happy to witness the new development as per Lagos ( and I hope the rest of SW follow suit) hence while I was delighted that the bill for special status for Lagos was strike out. cool

39 Likes

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by Guestlander: 6:08pm On Oct 20, 2017
totit:

I am indeed happy to witness the new development as per Lagos ( and I hope the rest of SW follow suite) hence while I was delighted that the bill for special status for Lagos was strike out. cool

Lagos should be rebranded "the thinking state"

34 Likes

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by months: 6:08pm On Oct 20, 2017
Yoruba children should go and learn Yoruba.

Wat is this obsession with Igbo people children.

Even wen it comes to marriage thay will leave their women and be rushing to marry our own women.

Igbo can never stop being Igbo and be Yoruba.

It will not happen.

No amount of legislating in Lagos House of Assembly will achieve that.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by totit: 6:08pm On Oct 20, 2017
months:

My chilren will not learn your language in School, becos i will oppose it.

Kiss the truth.

Are you done?

undecided
I can't stand a grown adult tears already.

Go and file your case and stop wetting my mention with tears grin

48 Likes

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by months: 6:08pm On Oct 20, 2017
totit:

Are you done?

undecided
I can't stand a grown adult tears already.

Go and file your case and stop wetting my mention with tears grin

Even wen it comes to marriage thay will leave their women and be rushing to marry our own women.

It will not happen.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by months: 6:09pm On Oct 20, 2017
Tears Ke?

Why wil li tear wen the Federal Court in Abuja is still there?

Are we not one Nigeria again?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by totit: 6:09pm On Oct 20, 2017
Guestlander:

Lagos should be rebranded "the thinking state"

..as long as it's for yoruba race and SW interests. cool

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by tdbankplc: 6:10pm On Oct 20, 2017
Chai.. read the sickles Nigeria graduate quoting nonsense like they got no head. Nigeria shld kuku separate so those ppl can be seen as foreigner

2 Likes

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by months: 6:11pm On Oct 20, 2017
We will simply drag Lagos state to Abuja, where the HausaFulani, Ijaws, Efik, Ibibio and all the various tribes that encompass Nigeria will explain the meaning of domination.

How one group can sit down in a state with about 50% of non- yoruba groups as well as international resident from all over the world and mandate all our children to be forcefully taught Yoruba?

They will explain the meaning of domination in Abuja.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by totit: 6:12pm On Oct 20, 2017
months:

It will not happen.

Could please point out or prove where ibo children was targeted in the said law or info provided so far? Are ibos the only tribe/people in Lagos?

I don tire of this lamentation and victim mentality abeg.

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by Ereolamide: 6:12pm On Oct 20, 2017
This law pain potors gan ni.

Amala and ewedu are taking over your no man's land.

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by onedayatime(m): 6:14pm On Oct 20, 2017
months:

Then take them back to east. Is it compulsory for them and for you to stay/live/school/work in yorubaland?

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by months: 6:19pm On Oct 20, 2017
If u dont know, na laugh we take una dey laugh since morning.

U just exposed your surephisticated bigotry.

U just exposed ur domination agenda and it is funny becos u are the same group that championed the propaganda accusing others of domiantion agenda.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Is Unconstitutional To Force Yoruba Language On Non Yorubas. by Ereolamide: 6:20pm On Oct 20, 2017
months:

I am actually enjoying your folly.

I am enjoying your indecent exposure and how we will take you apart at the center very shortly.

There are things that are only possible once the country have been divided and this action of Lagos State government is one of them.
Do you know what a cudgel is?

A cudgel is a short heavy club

Go fvck yourself with a cudgel.

28 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

6 Chief Judges Summoned By CJN For Issuing Conflicting Orders To Party / APC Resorts To Private Security Guards / Dasukigate: The Nation Newspaper Returns N9million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.