Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:48 PM

Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? (1740 Views)

Poll: Considering oil, etc, can NIGERIA break up without a war?

Yes, the north will accept it peacefully: 33% (9 votes)
No, maybe other countries but not Nigeria: 66% (18 votes)
This poll has ended

See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 / Osun PDP Senatorial Candidate, Others, Donate foodstuffs To Civil Servants / Buhari Never Promised APC To Make Naira Equal To Dollar – APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by onyengbu1(m): 7:40am On Mar 15, 2010
I really need to know because any time anyone here on nairaland raises the issue of break up of Nigeria, some people instantly conclude the person is asking for war.

My questions:
1. Cant a country break up without violence?

2. Is it the way the country is structured disproportionately in resources (both human and natural) that made people conclude that some part of the country will fight in order to be in the group.

3. Are some people just imagining war?
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by Nobody: 8:12am On Mar 15, 2010
@topic

NO
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by RichyBlacK(m): 8:19am On Mar 15, 2010
no.
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by Afam(m): 9:17am On Mar 15, 2010
No.

But the fears are usually based on the fact that as we stand today that some parts of Nigeria cannot sustain themselves without the oil money and that fear is what is making the option of war a very viable one.

Put differently, some parts of the country would rather fight to remain in Nigeria than stay on their own.
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by onyengbu1(m): 9:54am On Mar 15, 2010
If people are arguing against break up on the ground that it is not on the collective interest of all Nigerians then it might make more sense.
However, many nairalanders including the admin seem to be of the opinion that any form of break up call means call for war. That notion makes it difficult for many people who are advocating for break up without war to express their view due to fear of being labelled war mongers.
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by naso2(m): 10:01am On Mar 15, 2010
In the Nigerian context it is  definitely a resounding YEEEEEEEEEEEEES. You dont need a prophet to discern this.
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by Katsumoto: 11:00am On Mar 15, 2010
It is possible for the country to break up without war but such a move would require very sincere and honest leaders from all parts of the country. In the first instance, if all regions in the South together with the middle belt formed an alliance, it would be difficult for the 'North' to attempt various campaigns against all the aligned regions. The aligned regions may decide to form one republic or they may align just to break away together and sign a defence pact afterwards to defend each other's territory from Northern aggression.

The alliance of the Southern and middle belt regions may even force the northern part to sit up and engage in honest dialogue. Such a dialogue may lead to the adoption of true federalism or con-federationism. But the fact of the matter is that most regions have duplicitous and insincere leaders making such a situation a fallacy.
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by naso2(m): 11:25am On Mar 15, 2010
katsumoto:

It is possible for the country to break up without war but such a move would require very sincere and honest leaders from all parts of the country. In the first instance, if all regions in the South together with the middle belt formed an alliance, it would be difficult for the 'North' to attempt various campaigns against all the aligned regions. The aligned regions may decide to form one republic or they may align just to break away together and sign a defence pact afterwards to defend each other's territory from Northern aggression.

The alliance of the Southern and middle belt regions may even force the northern part to sit up and engage in honest dialogue. Such a dialogue may lead to the adoption of true federalism or con-federationism. But the fact of the matter is that most regions have duplicitous and insincere leaders making such a situation a fallacy.

This your theory will not work even on paper. Did you say sincere? Sincerity means different things to the Northerner and the southerner. Case in point Yaradua's disappearance.

Once the Middlebelt and south align in the mould you are suggesting, then the middlebelt becomes the immediate battle ground and it will be really intense.

Besides who told you a yorubaman and an IGBO man wants to be in the same republic? The ND would feel this arrangement only mean they are switching masters and nothing new hence will not be keen to support it
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by amarilo: 11:33am On Mar 15, 2010
na_so:

This your theory will not work even on paper. Did you say sincere? Sincerity means different things to the Northerner and the southerner. Case in point Yaradua's disappearance.

Once the Middlebelt and south align in the mould you are suggesting, then the middlebelt becomes the immediate battle ground and it will be really intense.

Besides who told you a yorubaman and an IGBO man wants to be in the same republic? The ND would feel this arrangement only mean they are switching masters and nothing new hence will not be keen to support it
This is where the problem lies considering what happened some 4 decades ago. South Nigeria is an illusion. I will prefer a Nigeria with regional govt than to break up and form a country with the west. If Nigeria is going to break up let every region be a country. The west can form alliance with SS,North or MB.
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by Katsumoto: 11:51am On Mar 15, 2010
na_so:

Did you read my post well? Did I state the South must be one? Did I equally state the Yoruba and Igbo MUST be in one republic? Please read my posts again below paying attention to the part in bold. What I mean by the part in bold is that the South and MB may secede together and either form one republic or several republics but sign a defence pact.

Sincerity can be understood by all tribes and races. There are insincere Northerners just as there are insincere Southerners. There are sincere southerners just as there are sincere northerners.

Katsumoto:

Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by Justcash(m): 11:54am On Mar 15, 2010
The North will accept it peacefully If;

1.  The Middlebelt can go for a break up from the core north too (Which will be the case).
2. If the Yorubas agree to go
3. If Niger-deltans agree to go.
4. If the Igbos agree to go.

This will cripple the core North. It will be a suicide mission for them to want to fight against other parts. The North will want to show that it got pride too by choosing the same path.
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by Afam(m): 12:02pm On Mar 15, 2010
Katsumoto:

Did you read my post well? Did I state the South must be one? Did I equally state the Yoruba and Igbo MUST be in one republic? Please read my posts again below paying attention to the part in bold. What I mean by the part in bold is that the South and MB may secede together and either form one republic or several republics but sign a defence pact.

Count the SE out of these calculations because the last time Biafra attempted secession we all know what the rest of Nigeria did.

Defense pack ko, Southern Republic ni.

One Nigeria till tomorrow.

Where una wan run go? Una never see anything. People are being killed in hundreds and you guys are talking about secession. 30,000 innocent Easterners were killed and Igbo army officers killed in different barracks and when things became really bad Biafra chose to leave and yet most of you guys talking about secession refused and joined in further massacres and killing of Biafrans.

You guys must be joking.

Hausa/Fulani to me are not the problem but all those who work hand in hand with them to carry out injustices as long as they feel they will benefit only to turn around to complain when chacha turn around.
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by Katsumoto: 12:04pm On Mar 15, 2010
Justcash:

The North will accept it peacefully If;

1.  The Middlebelt can go for a break up from the core north too (Which will be the case).
2. If the Yorubas agree to go
3. If Niger-deltans agree to go.
4. If the Igbos agree to go.

This will cripple the core North. It will be a suicide mission for them to want to fight against other parts. The North will want to show that it got pride too by choosing the same path.

My sentiments exactly.
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by Katsumoto: 12:07pm On Mar 15, 2010
Afam:

Count the SE out of these calculations because the last time Biafra attempted secession we all know what the rest of Nigeria did.

Defense pack ko, Southern Republic ni.

One Nigeria till tomorrow.

Where una wan run go? Una never see anything. People are being killed in hundreds and you guys are talking about secession. 30,000 innocent Easterners were killed and Igbo army officers killed in different barracks and when things became really bad Biafra chose to leave and yet most of you guys talking about secession refused and joined in further massacres and killing of Biafrans.

You guys must be joking.

Hausa/Fulani to me are not the problem but all those who work hand in hand with them to carry out injustices as long as they feel they will benefit only to turn around to complain when chacha turn around.

You can cut your nose then to spite your face? Why don't you respond to my original post then? Did you miss the part below. I am not a secessionist. I was merely answering a hypothetical question.

Katsumoto:

Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by Afam(m): 12:14pm On Mar 15, 2010
Katsumoto:

You can cut your nose then to spite your face? Why don't you respond to my original post then? Did you miss the part below. I am not a secessionist. I was merely answering a hypothetical question.

Wetin concern my nose for this post now? You see how you leave issues and focus on personalities tomorrow now you will claim Afam is attacking your person.

We shall continue to sensitize the Igbos anywhere in the world to understand the dynamics of our politics and the selfish calls by certain parts of Nigeria for secession now that they are just seeing a little bit of what we saw in the past and some of them even joined in the killing and maiming of our people for asking for what they are asking for now.

Without honesty and sincerity the Igbos will not waste time discussing secession with any group. If the Igbos want to secede they will do so and that will not be dependent on the position of the other groups.

Enough of the deceit.
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by honeric01(m): 12:22pm On Mar 15, 2010
Well, with the level of Illiteracy in the north, any call for break-up might lead to war.
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by Katsumoto: 12:28pm On Mar 15, 2010
Afam:

Wetin concern my nose for this post now? You see how you leave issues and focus on personalities tomorrow now you will claim Afam is attacking your person.

We shall continue to sensitize the Igbos anywhere in the world to understand the dynamics of our politics and the selfish calls by certain parts of Nigeria for secession now that they are just seeing a little bit of what we saw in the past and some of them even joined in the killing and maiming of our people for asking for what they are asking for now.

Without honesty and sincerity the Igbos will not waste time discussing secession with any group. If the Igbos want to secede they will do so and that will not be dependent on the position of the other groups.

Enough of the deceit.

Cut your nose to spite your face is an expression. I used it in light of the comment you made about Biafra and not wanting an alliance with other regions because of events in the 60s.

I started my initial post by making reference to sincere leaders from all parts of Nigeria.
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by Afam(m): 12:39pm On Mar 15, 2010
Katsumoto:

Cut your nose to spite your face is an expression. I used it in light of the comment you made about Biafra and not wanting an alliance with other regions because of events in the 60s.

And you think what happened in the 60's is not enough to be careful about any form of alliance with any region in the South? The Igbos are simply wiser now my friend. Lightening no dey strike for the same place twice!

As regards the expression if na me use am now you for dey announce am for AIT say I dey insult you but as na you use am we should see it as expression. Nigerians with their maradonic tendencies.
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by Igwe9(m): 12:57pm On Mar 15, 2010
cool
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by naso2(m): 1:04pm On Mar 15, 2010
katsumoto:

Sincerity can be understood by all tribes and races. There are insincere Northerners just as there are insincere Southerners. There are sincere southerners just as there are sincere northerners.

Na so una go use style style dey say person no go school. No wahala sha.  

Did you read my post well? Did I state the South must be one? Did I equally state the Yoruba and Igbo MUST be in one republic?

YES, yes and yes. Though you gave a second option , but the first proposal is that the south and middlebelt would be one.

1.The aligned regions may decide to form one republic or
2. they may align just to break away together and sign a defence pact afterwards to defend each other's territory from Northern aggression.

I make bold to say that in both proposals , there  still will be WAR.
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by Katsumoto: 2:02pm On Mar 15, 2010
na_so:

Na so una go use style style dey say person no go school. No wahala sha.  

YES, yes and yes. Though you gave a second option , but the first proposal is that the south and middlebelt would be one.

I make bold to say that in both proposals , there  still will be WAR.

My brother no be so. I only asked because I gave two options but you decided to ignore the second option while concentrating on the first option. I meant no disrespect.
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by Nobody: 2:14pm On Mar 15, 2010
do any of the loudest people in this politics section [ie the professional megaphones] have any viable ideas for how to feed yourselves or the citizens of whatever you want to name your respective countries after nigeria breaks up.

or will you be importing everything including water

abi na food aid una go depend on?
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by ziga: 2:22pm On Mar 15, 2010
We are not even seriously considering breaking up and we are already at war with each other(Jos). With the mentality of a lot of Nigerian ethnic groups, we can't even sit together to discuss issues affecting every Nigerian objectively.

Rather we prefer to be sentimental and create imaginary boundaries(Nairaland).

In my opinion, breaking up Nigeria will result in war that will probably last for a while.
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Mar 15, 2010
did i ask a jamb question?

does anyone have any plausible idea, theory or hypothesis no matter how wild or crazy, on how to feed the southerners should their food supply be cut off.
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Mar 15, 2010
the north will not give up oil lightly. without it their will be no funds to plant tomatoes.
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by kosovo(m): 7:32pm On Mar 15, 2010
you can  NEVER  break-up without a     [size=19pt]WAR[/size]
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by jumobi1(m): 7:34pm On Mar 15, 2010
If our leaders agree not to fight then there might be no fight. Remember we Nigerians are sheep. We've been sheep for 50 years now.
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by ziga: 8:19pm On Mar 15, 2010
jumobi1:

If our leaders agree not to fight then there might be no fight. Remember we Nigerians are sheep. We've been sheep for 50 years now.

Our leaders are the problem. The current Nigerian situation favors them, and they will love for it to remain like that till infinity.

But we fight ourselves and we think we can divide into smaller countries.

First, we need to collectively deliver ourselves from the cabal. After that, then we can discuss. Otherwise, nothing dey happen.
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by naso2(m): 8:27pm On Mar 15, 2010
jumobi1:

You are not conversant with history. HAVE YOU HEARD OF ABURI ACCORD?
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by EzeUche(m): 8:28pm On Mar 15, 2010
kosovo:

you can  NEVER  break-up without   a     [size=19pt]WAR[/size]

Wrong have you heard of the dissolution of the Soviet Union?

Or how about the former republic of Czechoslovakia which is now the Czech Republic and Slovakia?
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by Eziachi: 8:32pm On Mar 15, 2010
kosovo:

you can  NEVER  break-up without   a     [size=19pt]WAR[/size]

Oh yes you can!! Soviet Union, Czechslovakia, Pakistan/Bangladesh etc.
Re: Is Break Up Equal To Civil War? by asha80(m): 8:38pm On Mar 15, 2010
na_so:

You are not conversant with history. HAVE YOU HEARD OF ABURI ACCORD?

How does aburi accord relate to his post.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Threat To Humanity By Akure Monarch / Are South Africans Smarter Than Nigerians? / "We (ACN) Helped GEJ During 2011 Presidential Election-tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.